Dec 16, 2019 12:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Search Part 2 - Speculation (DO NOT post spoilers for Part 2!)  (Read 336187 times)
Fire_Nation_Queen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm »

I haven't had the time to begin reading The Promise, but a friend who is really into comic books and whatnot just emailed me this article:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39354

This weekend at the American Library Association, Dark Horse announced Yang and Gurihiru will return for a second "Avatar: The Last Airbender" graphic novel series called "The Search," which explores the biggest unsolved mystery in "Avatar" lore: what happened to Prince Zuko's mother?

So we will get a resolution to Ursa's fate after all!! Cheesy

---
Note: from now on, this thread will be reserved for speculation about Part 2 for people who haven't read the book yet.

People who have read it can talk about it here:
- [DH Comics #5] The Search, Part 2
- Zuko's History (The Search Part 1 & 2 Spoilers!)

Speculation about Part 3 goes here:
The Search Part 3 - Speculation [Expected 30 Oct '13]

PLEASE REMEMBER NOT TO POST SPOILERS ABOUT PART 2 ANYMORE IN THIS THREAD.

It has been announced that Part 1 will be released on 20th March 2013.

It has been announced that The Search, Part 2 will be released on 10th July 2013.

Part 3 has been announced and will be released on 30th Oct 2013.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2013 09:02 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Keeper of: Yue's smile
Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2012 12:56 pm »

Gasp!! Do my eyes deceive me?!?! YAYAYAYAYY!!!!!

gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Asami, the nonbending swagbender

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:14 pm »

Hopefully Gene Yang does a good job at this. The story really is an interesting one. Lol, though the way he talked about 'the supernatural' males me honk that there will be spirits involved.

“Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'”
 -Alexander Dumas, The Counte of Monte Cristo

Icon by Plushu Smiley
tlmonster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:20 pm »

Why don't Mike and Bryan just make a TV movie out of it that will undoubtably have great ratings? If the story is canon, it seems like a waste of a great story.

Still incredibly excited though.
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:21 pm »

Yes, finally getting some answers, and you thought it would never happen. Hopefully, Yang will redeem himself with this story in fans eyes. Although I have thought it would be fitting for Elizabeth Ehasz to write the story, since she started this plot point, being the main writer for "Zuko Alone."

I did like Yang's interview. I do like to think Zuko will eventually get some stablity and breaks. I think "Korra" gave us some proof of that.
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:24 pm »

Finally. Now the fandom can hush up about "WHERE'S URSA?!" :<

Though, I wonder what role Azula will play. She seems to have left her mental institution -- if the art is any indication -- and is back to her old scheming self.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:26 pm »

Watch as Azula ends up being the only character with any sense in this comic.

Fire_Nation_Queen
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:28 pm »

Finally. Now the fandom can hush up about "WHERE'S URSA?!" :<

Though, I wonder what role Azula will play. She seems to have left her mental institution -- if the art is any indication -- and is back to her old scheming self.

Yang implies that Azula be back, judging by this quote:
In "The Search," we'll see what a prolonged stay in a Fire Nation mental institution does to a person.

Why don't Mike and Bryan just make a TV movie out of it that will undoubtably have great ratings? If the story is canon, it seems like a waste of a great story.

Still incredibly excited though.
Just a question, since I haven't kept up with the comics: aren't the stories in them regarded as canon?

Keeper of: Yue's smile
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:46 pm »

I'm really excited for this, but I'm also kind of scared. Why can't Mike and Bryan write it themselves? I don't want anymore Zuko regressing and Aang trying to kill him. At least it seems that they're friends again...

Please can this be better than The Promise, please.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:47 pm »

YAY!

But yeah, i hope this will be better than The Promise. Azula deserves better. and please, don't make her the villain again (the promo image has a feeling of this  Sad)!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You know what time it is~

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:53 pm »

I. Am. SCREAMING. OMG.

I don't even care that it's a continuation of The Promise. We're finally gonna get the Ursa story Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Also, Aang is going to be helping Zuko find her. Zukaang bromance time!! X3

PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:55 pm »

I wonder when this will come out? And how long it will be, I hope it's long enough.

Zuko-Fan-Girl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bi-demi-sexual demigirl

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:56 pm »

HO MY GURD
GUYS THIS IS REAL I
HELP
ME
/ded
And yes, More field trips with Zuko!! Cheesy

[hissing]
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2012 01:59 pm »

One downside to this is that we won't be trolled in Korra again. XD I was kind of looking forward to Ikki asking General Iroh about the story and being cut off again. XD

Not gonna lie, I'm going to miss the Zuko's mom jokes.

BUT IT'S OKAY, THIS IS WORTH IT.

gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:01 pm »

YAY!

But yeah, i hope this will be better than The Promise. Azula deserves better. and please, don't make her the villain again (the promo image has a feeling of this  Sad)!

I don't think she's the villain- that seems to be a shot of her from Season 2, as that was her outfit then. Anyways, this is what Gene Yang said about her:

"The Search" focuses on Zuko and Azula. Aang, Katara and Sokka will be there, of course, but the Fire Nation royal siblings are really the drivers of the action. In "The Promise," we see Zuko struggling with his responsibilities as Fire Lord. "The Search" is the next stage of that struggle.

I think this whole thing will have to do with spirits somehow, as he says this:

I've always loved the supernatural elements of the Avatarverse. The Season 1 finale was one of my favorite sequences in the series. We didn't really do much supernatural in "The Promise" since that story was focused on the political ramifications of the War's end. But I'm happy to say, writing "The Search" is giving me the chance to explore that side of Aang and his world.

That sounds like an interesting premise, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up after the Promise.

“Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'”

Icon by Plushu Smiley
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:03 pm »

I wonder when this will come out? And how long it will be, I hope it's long enough.

Since "The Search" starts immediately after the events in "The Promise", and the last installment of "The Promise" comes out in September, I imagine that "The Search" will come out some time after that. Maybe early next year?

Also, YAY more Avatar comics!! Cheesy  I kinda hoped for a timeskip, so we'd get to see the gaang growing up through the various ATLA comics and covering those 70 years between ATLA and TLOK, but I guess that can be left for future comic books, if they continue being made.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:13 pm »

Not very surprising given the hints and good sell figures.

But Im still need to read The Promise part 2.

Sig made by Dorky.
Flaming Piano
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:18 pm »

YES MORE AZULA! I hope she turns out for the better.

Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true.
gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:20 pm »

Since "The Search" starts immediately after the events in "The Promise", and the last installment of "The Promise" comes out in September, I imagine that "The Search" will come out some time after that. Maybe early next year?

Also, YAY more Avatar comics!! Cheesy  I kinda hoped for a timeskip, so we'd get to see the gaang growing up through the various ATLA comics and covering those 70 years between ATLA and TLOK, but I guess that can be left for future comic books, if they continue being made.

Hey, you never know- it seems like the story is already done, so it might just be the art...so it could get released by december or something!

*grasping at straws*

Icon by Plushu Smiley
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:26 pm »

YAY!

But yeah, i hope this will be better than The Promise. Azula deserves better. and please, don't make her the villain again (the promo image has a feeling of this  Sad)!

I expect Azula to play a role for antagonist and protagonist. So she will be a little bit of both. I imagine she would be resident to want to see her mother, than decides if they find her I will kill her, and than starts to come around if you will.

Hopefully it is a happy ending for her,  and it doesn't end with Ozai and Azula on a boat, and you know the rest.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
johnf12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:28 pm »

Not to be the downer here, but I'm really not feeling this since it is being written by Gene Yang. I honestly believe this story will end up very shallow just like The Promise was. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up finding Ursa in some secret basement under the Fire Lord's palace.

Aang: Dude, your mom was under the palace the whole time!

Zuko: Yeah... you think I would of found her sooner.

Azula: Hehehehehe! I knew all along!

Zuko: Wait, then why did you go insane in the first place?

Azula: I faked it.

Zuko: Uhhhh....
AirMaster18
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:30 pm »

Are Mike and Bryan having any involvement in this? Are they at least helping with the storyline?
Fugitiva
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:34 pm »

I don´t have a good feeling about the Azula in the picture Sad Why does she have to look so menacing? Is she going to be causing trouble again? Of course she is... ¬¬
gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:35 pm »

At second thought, now I'm depressed that her character will get utterly butchered and she'll be turned into a killing machine that wants to stop Zuko/Aang from finding Ursa.

Fugitiva has a point- that coverart picture makes her look...frightening.

Icon by Plushu Smiley
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2012 02:37 pm »

Are Mike and Bryan having any involvement in this? Are they at least helping with the storyline?

Quoting myself from the past.

Now Michael Dante is talking about more Avatar comics.

AVC: Mike, What kind of involvement have you and Bryan had in the Dark Horse Last Airbender books that are coming out right now, tying the two series together?

MDD: We’ve been very involved. We worked with Dark Horse on the art-of-Avatar book [Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Art Of The Animated Series] that Bryan and I wrote and put together with them, and we had a great working relationship with them. When they came and said, “Hey, we want to do some comics. We have this great writer, Gene Luen Yang, and a great group of artists in Japan to work on the comics.” So yeah, I’ve been working with Gene pretty closely on the first three books, and then we’re actually just starting to come up with ideas for the next batch of stories. But it’s been a great collaboration, and it’s nice to be able to tell some more stories in that fold, with the old characters, without having to do the entire animation part of it. [Laughs.]

Sig made by Dorky.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: