Oct 16, 2019 04:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A flaw in the Avatar cycle  (Read 4012 times)
Revolation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"She's crazy, and needs to go down." -Iroh

« Reply #25 on: Jun 03, 2012 09:25 pm »

Either way, the air nomad genocide always casts a shadow over the consequently not much talked about genocide of the southern water tribe's water benders.

Yeah...I think the reason why the SWT got ignored is because they had all the benders taken from them. :/

The convo was about how many people were effected during the war due to a lack of an avatar for 100 years. This quote came up
"Several EK cities had no fire nation presence during the 100 years of war. Omashu was pretty much safe until Bumi surrendered and one of the best warriors in TLA history was bested by Ba Sing Se. The entire North Pole lived life normally and the South Pole was largely ignored."

And I guess I didn't interpret the word "ignored" in the sense that the tribe was 'ignored' after the water benders were gone as you did. I was looking at it like "what happened during the 100 year war to the southern water tribe? They didn't get 'ignored', they got ransacked to near death and their waterbenders got wiped out, besides katara".
I guess I interpreted it wrong? :/

Think on a grand scale.
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #26 on: Jun 03, 2012 09:28 pm »

Either way, the air nomad genocide always casts a shadow over the consequently not much talked about genocide of the southern water tribe's water benders.

Yeah...I think the reason why the SWT got ignored is because they had all the benders taken from them. :/

The convo was about how many people were effected during the war due to a lack of an avatar for 100 years. This quote came up
"Several EK cities had no fire nation presence during the 100 years of war. Omashu was pretty much safe until Bumi surrendered and one of the best warriors in TLA history was bested by Ba Sing Se. The entire North Pole lived life normally and the South Pole was largely ignored."

And I guess I didn't interpret the word "ignored" in the sense that the tribe was 'ignored' after the water benders were gone as you did. I was looking at it like "what happened during the 100 year war to the southern water tribe? They didn't get 'ignored', they got ransacked to near death and their waterbenders got wiped out, besides katara".
I guess I interpreted it wrong? :/

Uh, I think I was actually agreeing with you. I was saying that the Water Tribes weren't ignored because they got their water benders taken from them.

After that...THEN they got ignored. Cheesy

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Eudaemon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why must all of my favorite characters die?!

« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 2012 09:35 pm »

Also, you have to think that the elderly Avatar probably gets to a point where he or she cannot keep peace. Even if they have a spirit in them, like Yangchen said, they are still human.

Which makes me wonder if elderly Avatars in times of crisis commit suicide so they can get a successor to do the work instead of waiting 5-10 years for them to die naturally.....

RIP Noatak. You were hot, but you were a psychopath.
I keep Bolin's green sash. Cheesy
Mslotrfanatic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2012 09:39 pm »

After seeing Avatar Roku and now Korra's story, there's at least a 15-25 year gap between when the old Avatar dies and the new Avatar actually becomes a fully realized Avatar and preserve the balance. So I guess between that time, all the bad guys can wreak havoc.
I don't think it is a flaw compared to the benefit it brings.  An immortal Avatar would be alien to the world and lose his or her sense of time and humanity, being like the spirits, and without human compassion and connections, there's a great risk of becoming set in one's ways to the detriment of balance in the world... you'd be stuck with an avatar that comes out of one culture from one time whose outlook would rarely change.  By having them cycle, there is an innate humility and vulnerability to the Avatars that allows them to identify with the rest of humanity and serve them accordingly.

As for why the Avatars actually have to be born and grow- rather than, say, regenerating like The Doctor- I suppose if that unnatural a mechanism existed it would be an option, but you'd lose the vulnerability and humility and humanity of childhood and frankly, the Avatars would be utterly alien (not a problem for The Doctor, who is an alien) even if their adult reincarnations were always inbuilt with compassion and modern culture updates.  It just seems awkward and unnatural... the natural way to cycle, like the cycle of life, is simply to be born and die, so that explains why the Avatars do that as opposed to simply appearing as adults in every iteration or never dying in the first place.  They are the embodiment of nature's desire for balance so of course they would take advantage of natural mechanisms.

^What you said. Cheesy

BrossUno
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

High Five

« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2012 09:52 pm »

Yeah but look at the chaos and how many people died b/c there was no Avatar to protect them.

Well having a Avatar is no guarantee of safety. Kyoshi let Chin take over the entire EK before stopping him. 

Yeah, I was always curious about that part of her story. Surely she wasn't spending that time training or anything? In either case, I guess not even fully realized Avatars can't be everywhere at once.

Hey there. I wrote stories about crime in Republic City. You can find it here at Republic City Police Files in the fanfiction section if you're interested.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: