Nov 20, 2017 03:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 202 (71.1%)
9 - 47 (16.5%)
8 - 16 (5.6%)
7 - 7 (2.5%)
6 - 5 (1.8%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 1 (0.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 5 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 284

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [110] Turning the Tides  (Read 53597 times)
munchydino12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #825 on: Jun 22, 2012 03:36 am »

^ It's a kid's show.

It's sad when you have to use that as an excuse to explain plotholes.

It's not really a plothole since we can't be sure how much time it really took. And, it doesn't take as long for you to have a baby the FOURTH time around. I know this for a fact because my mom went through hell giving birth to my older sister but by the time she got to her fourth, it was comparatively easier and took a lot less time.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #826 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:04 am »

^ Comparatively, yes. But not ten minutes.

And if it took Tenzin any longer to get there, he's a horrible father because he saw his family get attacked and he had an air bison handy.

Pretty_Angel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #827 on: Jun 22, 2012 07:40 am »

^ I've seen lots of stories from mothers who said it was that fast like the baby would be born within just a few contractions. I'm not sure how messed up you'd look after precipitate labour but I can imagine that you'd look a lot better than after being in labour for a few hours. But yes, it happens and from what I gather it's more likely with women who already had a few children.

kaybe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #828 on: Jun 22, 2012 08:46 am »

She had been having contractions/labor a while before that though.
Pretty_Angel
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #829 on: Jun 22, 2012 09:49 am »

Which doesn't really contradict my post... or was this in response to someone else?

Simon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Chibi Jet

« Reply #830 on: Jun 22, 2012 10:47 am »

^ It's a kid's show.

It's sad when you have to use that as an excuse to explain plotholes.

??

I wasn't making an excuse to explain a plothole.

I was explaining why they wouldn't show the entire process of birth and afterbirth...you can't expect that because of the age group Nickelodeon serves. Even just a slight, humorous segment of it was shown in TLA. More so on why the baby was completely clean, I'm sure they weren't going to show a baby with birth fluids all over its pretty little TV-Y7 face. For all we know, it took around two hours minimum to tie up the Equalists. Maybe some of them tried escaping and needed to be detained? I wouldn't call it a plothole necessarily, that would be something like Toph being able to read tattoos though she can't see ink on paper. It's more like an unexplained span of time.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am by Simon » Logged
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #831 on: Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am »

^ Tenzin wouldn't have been on his way for two hours. They were within seeing distance and had a flying bison.

Of course I'm not saying they should have shown the entire thing, but how hard would it have been to make the time lapse a little more realistic?

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #832 on: Jun 22, 2012 11:15 am »

.......I know a Rohan.

he's so funny to me now. Cheesy

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
GenghisQuan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #833 on: Jun 22, 2012 11:56 am »

Good:
Highly refreshing to see the main cast actually fighting smart against Equalist toys. This is something they should have been doing from the beginning. But, better late than never; yay Bolin for figuring out you can earthbend the ground from below a giant mecha, yay Mako for redirecting lightning, yay Korra for shorting engines with water, and yay Tenzin for defeating a mech with a kancho of all things.

Lin's sacrifice...oh my. Toph's hubby was clearly Oberyn Martell, because "unbowed, unbent, unbroken." And I squee'd when not!Zuko appeared.

Bad: I will have to side with the people complaining about airbender kids. Equalist mooks, don't just stand there, the minute your LT gets blindsided by a little girl who knocks him several meters away is the minute you get over your conflicted feelings and taze her, bro. And I think people are making too much of the fact that very few people have fought an airbender ever. You don't need to fight an airbender to know that constantly being on the move will let you dodge air blasts, or to read body language and predict where an attack is going to come from. Yes, airbending is different like bagua is different, but there's only so many ways to an attack can come from. Also, Fartbending seems a tad...juvenile for this series.

Equalists...how exactly did you get a big giant airship fleet again? I mean, a select corps of special forces guys I can understand, that's like if bin Laden had a couple of Republican Guard on load. Some mecha tanks too, since that was a small enough amount that I can buy Hiroshi Sato building them in a cave! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS! But an actual conventional army? That's like if bin Laden got himself a carrier battle group, and no one in the CIA, MI5, GRU, etc caught any wind of it at all.

Also the shipping is starting to become a romantic plot tumor. That said, Koriroh OTP.
kitsuneopal
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #834 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:11 pm »

^ Tenzin wouldn't have been on his way for two hours. They were within seeing distance and had a flying bison.

Of course I'm not saying they should have shown the entire thing, but how hard would it have been to make the time lapse a little more realistic?

Why? The birth was not so important to need that much time devoted to it. At best Pema giving birth was another "fly in the ointment". If the bulk of the show had been devoted to the delivery then more detail would have been a good idea. Otherwise it's really not a plot hole.

Huh I must have not watched as intently as I thought because I do not remember such a detailed minute by minute timeline.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #835 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:15 pm »

^ You don't get what I'm saying. I'm not asking for more time devoted to it. I'm complaining about the fact thay they wrote it so that Pema had that baby in ten minutes, while this is largely unrealistic.

kitsuneopal
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #836 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:28 pm »

^ You don't get what I'm saying. I'm not asking for more time devoted to it. I'm complaining about the fact thay they wrote it so that Pema had that baby in ten minutes, while this is largely unrealistic.

Yea I get it fine. You are just putting way to much emphasis on wanting realism on a something that what was at best a "C" plot.
ThePilot
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #837 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:30 pm »

^^and the Avatar universe is so very realistic right?
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #838 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:44 pm »

No, but most changes from reality serve a purpose. That's why people will accept bending, but will complain when the show ignores other laws of physics without explanation.

And like I said, having to resort to the "It's a cartoon!" excuse is always cheap to me.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2012 04:50 pm by NeeNee » Logged

kitsuneopal
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #839 on: Jun 22, 2012 04:58 pm »

No, but most changes from reality serve a purpose. Making stuff unrealistic just for the heck of it is bad writing.

No its not. It really is not. Saying that means that pretty much everything ever written is tainted by "bad writing." Simply said sometimes "realism" takes a back seat to the overall story. It has nothing to do with it being a cartoon. Everyone does it.

if the birth had been about this: ( as one example)

Boy everything is going really well right now!

This baby is coming...now.

AHHHHH!!! *panic insues* Then a more "realistic" birth would have been appropriate. 

However this is what the birth was about:

Crap there are 1000 things are going wrong right now!

this baby is coming...now.

Ok, 1001 things are going wrong. This was about everything happening at once. The minute details (like labor length) are just not that important.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #840 on: Jun 22, 2012 05:14 pm »

^ I had already edited my post to explain myself better, so I'm not going to respond to this.

And just because everyone gets that fact wrong doesn't mean I have to like it. "We were telling a story, so we couldn't be bothered with realism" is the worst excuse ever in my eyes. The whole point of telling a good story is that you take care to make it believable, and this obvious plothole was really distracting to me (even though it seems most others didn't notice).

GenghisQuan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #841 on: Jun 22, 2012 05:34 pm »

^ I had already edited my post to explain myself better, so I'm not going to respond to this.

And just because everyone gets that fact wrong doesn't mean I have to like it. "We were telling a story, so we couldn't be bothered with realism" is the worst excuse ever in my eyes. The whole point of telling a good story is that you take care to make it believable, and this obvious plothole was really distracting to me (even though it seems most others didn't notice).
How about when having a "realistic" birth just doesn't really affect anything? I mean, quick birth didn't impact anything other than getting you a nice family scene. Protracted birth would have...done what exactly that already wouldn't be achieved?
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #842 on: Jun 22, 2012 05:53 pm »

^ It would have spared me a headdesk?

Let me send that question back at you. Would keeping things realistic really affect anything? All they had to do was show that scene with Tenzin spotting the airships a little earlier (while they were still busy battling the robots) and things would have made more sense. (I always thought it took them too long to get to the Island anyway. Aren't airbenders supposed to be really fast?)

I'm someone who believes that you shouldn't includes mistakes in your story unless you have a good reason to. If there is no reason to change it, it's better to stick to realism... but I guess I'm the only one here. *shrugs*

kitsuneopal
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #843 on: Jun 22, 2012 06:00 pm »

IMO a story is meant to entertain. and 100% accuracy isn't always entertaining. (once again IMO)

When ever I get pissed that something isn't "real" enough I always remember the theme from MST3K: 

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax

But never the less I shall agree to disagree.   Smiley
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #844 on: Jun 22, 2012 06:21 pm »

It's worth noting that Hope's birth in The Serpent's Pass was depicted as taking quite a bit of time, enough that they did a cutaway implying a fair amount of time had passed, with most of the cast sitting around outside the tent waiting.

So, as keeps getting brought up with any number of LoK complaints ATLA did a good job of it.

kitsuneopal
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #845 on: Jun 22, 2012 06:33 pm »

It's worth noting that Hope's birth in The Serpent's Pass was depicted as taking quite a bit of time, enough that they did a cutaway implying a fair amount of time had passed, with most of the cast sitting around outside the tent waiting.

So, as keeps getting brought up with any number of LoK complaints ATLA did a good job of it.

Yes but overall that birth was an important way of giving Aang hope again. So it makes sense that it had a passage of time. (the process of labor creating anxiety and uncertainty and the birth creating relief and a renewed feeling of hope that things will be alright.)

Pema's labor was just one more ingredient in the chaos stew that was Turning the Tides.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #846 on: Jun 22, 2012 07:15 pm »

Eeep... But look at this one that I just saw on reddit:

*shudder*

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
kitsuneopal
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #847 on: Jun 22, 2012 07:20 pm »

^uggg why did I look at that.

*faints*
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #848 on: Jun 22, 2012 07:20 pm »

Will all of you stop it with the spider-rats? D:

*shudders* The nightmares... Oh, the nightmares...

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Ashbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #849 on: Jun 22, 2012 08:35 pm »

Imagine a web coming out of that spiderrat's @$$?! Ewwwww.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: