Dec 05, 2019 01:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 202 (71.1%)
9 - 47 (16.5%)
8 - 16 (5.6%)
7 - 7 (2.5%)
6 - 5 (1.8%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 1 (0.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 5 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 284

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [110] Turning the Tides  (Read 81373 times)
WaterDragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #800 on: Jun 19, 2012 03:18 pm »

^OH my, that would be awesome. I hope we see Aang actually talking with Korra in the finale.
JDG1980
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #801 on: Jun 19, 2012 05:21 pm »

Because this isn't THEIR city. Yeah they grew up in it, but Tenzin and Lin, as well as their parents, built it singlehandedly. We need to approach it from people who are watching everything they've ever worked for possibly eviscerated overnight.

That's true. But when taken to its logical conclusion, it's an argument against Mako and Bolin even being main characters at all, especially in something as time-limited as a 12 episode season.
Blanka
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #802 on: Jun 20, 2012 11:23 am »

I'm sorry but shouldn't we focus more on Mako and Bolin who are part of Team Avatar? And Mako and Bolin are MAIN CHARACTERS. Just because it's "not their city" as you put it, that doesn't mean their characters shouldn't be the main focus along with Korra. If this was supposed to be the Legend of Gaang's Descendants, it would make more sense.

You can ignore main characters for one episode when others are more important. Its not a flaw with the episode.
pokebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #803 on: Jun 20, 2012 02:49 pm »

Also if Korra was on ATI when the Equalists were attacking the airbender kids, does anyone think that Aang may have taken over her body in the same way Roku and Kyoshi did with him? Seeing a spirit Aang take over her and be angry would be quite terrifying.

This needs to happen. Aang consulted Roku quite a few times last series so I hope we get to see Korra talking to Aang in the finale.
Screemo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^is a lady.

« Reply #804 on: Jun 20, 2012 04:31 pm »

I'm sorry but shouldn't we focus more on Mako and Bolin who are part of Team Avatar? And Mako and Bolin are MAIN CHARACTERS. Just because it's "not their city" as you put it, that doesn't mean their characters shouldn't be the main focus along with Korra. If this was supposed to be the Legend of Gaang's Descendants, it would make more sense.

You can ignore main characters for one episode when others are more important. Its not a flaw with the episode.

Yea exactly. Lin and Tenzin are what the episode needed.

Keeper of Korra's crooked grin.
Twilight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #805 on: Jun 20, 2012 05:14 pm »

This episode blew my expectations away. They had been steadily decreasing with each new episode, but this one just-wow. If I were to compare it to ATLA, the same thing happened in book 1 too. ATLA was interesting enough to want to watch but only the heavy hitting episodes like "The Storm", "The Blue Spirit" and "The Winter Solstice pt 2" is what got me really sticking to it. Then the entire book 1 finale blew me away, very similar experience just now.

My eyes were widening the whole time, just the maturity and realistic depiction, such dark themes explored. The feeling of hopelessness, I was on the edge of my seat. But just when I thought it was over, Lin pulls a suicide mission. Heroes on suicide missions always bring me to tears, instantly. It doesn't matter that it's fiction, real heroes really do go on suicide missions. The ultimate sacrifice to protect the people you love and all the innocents you don't even know. (I'm in awe of people that do that and hope that I have that much guts.)
Of course they probably wouldn't actually kill Lin, but it was symbolic and the message got across. Her unwavering bravery and just the way she closed her eyes before being debended. Totally knowing her fate and even face down on the ground she still had her dignity, her honor.

I don't care how silly and fanboy/girlish that sounds, it was beautifully done. That's how you do a damn episode. Bravo!

and the award for worst username in retrospect goes to...
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #806 on: Jun 20, 2012 09:08 pm »

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #807 on: Jun 20, 2012 09:40 pm »

oh gosh, kill it with fire.

Simon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Chibi Jet

« Reply #808 on: Jun 20, 2012 10:54 pm »

This episode blew my expectations away. They had been steadily decreasing with each new episode, but this one just-wow. If I were to compare it to ATLA, the same thing happened in book 1 too. ATLA was interesting enough to want to watch but only the heavy hitting episodes like "The Storm", "The Blue Spirit" and "The Winter Solstice pt 2" is what got me really sticking to it. Then the entire book 1 finale blew me away, very similar experience just now.

My eyes were widening the whole time, just the maturity and realistic depiction, such dark themes explored. The feeling of hopelessness, I was on the edge of my seat. But just when I thought it was over, Lin pulls a suicide mission. Heroes on suicide missions always bring me to tears, instantly. It doesn't matter that it's fiction, real heroes really do go on suicide missions. The ultimate sacrifice to protect the people you love and all the innocents you don't even know. (I'm in awe of people that do that and hope that I have that much guts.)
Of course they probably wouldn't actually kill Lin, but it was symbolic and the message got across. Her unwavering bravery and just the way she closed her eyes before being debended. Totally knowing her fate and even face down on the ground she still had her dignity, her honor.

I don't care how silly and fanboy/girlish that sounds, it was beautifully done. That's how you do a damn episode. Bravo!

This.
WaterDragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #809 on: Jun 20, 2012 11:04 pm »

One thing odd that I have noticed. Amon is getting quicker at removing people's bending. Starting from the time Amon puts his thumb on the person's forehead, with Lightning Bolt Zolt, it was about seven or eight seconds (seemed much longer, didn't it), whereas with Lin it only took Amon about one second.
Whether or not this means anything (ie: Amon is getting stronger), I do not know, and it is anyones guess if there is an in -universe explanation for it.
momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #810 on: Jun 20, 2012 11:08 pm »

One thing odd that I have noticed. Amon is getting quicker at removing people's bending. Starting from the time Amon puts his thumb on the person's forehead, with Lightning Bolt Zolt, it was about seven or eight seconds (seemed much longer, didn't it), whereas with Lin it only took Amon about one second.
Whether or not this means anything (ie: Amon is getting stronger), I do not know, and it is anyones guess if there is an in -universe explanation for it.

He waited for 8 seconds the first time because of he wanted to keep the crowd waiting. Amon srsly loves the stage.

Sig by arasam22
Ashbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #811 on: Jun 20, 2012 11:09 pm »

For those a fan of Lin, such as I am, I couldn't help but relate this song to her and her involvement when I heard it.

David Guetta ft. Sia - Titanium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PDCJEMpCBY

My favorite quote of the song and says so much about Amon when he took Lin's Bending, "Cut me down, but it's you who'll have further to fall."
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012 01:27 am by Ashbender » Logged
Teavana
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

cup of tea a day keeps the evil mornings away

« Reply #812 on: Jun 20, 2012 11:20 pm »

This.

^ agreed

So I got back from vacation and had about an 5 min debate whether or not to watch ep 10 online since I had missed it airing.  I could watch it with the finale for a 3 ep long palooza of amazing-ness.  Or I could deprive myself of sleep and compound it with jetlag.  There really wasn't a choice there.

I believe the saying is "my body is ready."

Well, after this it should go something like "my body is ready.  my mind is not."

I just couldn't think after this episode; I was in shock or something.  So much was covered and there was even the discovery that the lame council members have a life, dear.  Then there was that last few minutes with Lin and Iroh.  What just happened....WHAT JUST (&*@!%$` HAPPENED!? That's pretty much all my mind was capable of until a second viewing of the ep.  And then all I could think was A) Zuko's voice coming out of someone who is not Zuko  Shocked and B) Toph being a blind girl who could see and Lin being a cop who can't metalbend.  And the various parallels and inverses attacked me.  Thus, mind imploded. 

Why, yes, that quote is from The Sandlot.  It just fits the Avatar Universe so well.
Blanka
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #813 on: Jun 21, 2012 03:43 am »

And Tenzin and Lin had character development and character arcs. We have very little of that for Mako and Bolin.

That's the fault of the episodes preceding it, not this one. They knew what they needed to focus on and completely succeeded.
Mr_Beale
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #814 on: Jun 21, 2012 06:21 pm »

What a great episode. Lin's sacrifice was beautifully done. Almost a week later, and it's still just as vivid in my mind and emotions as it was when I first saw it.

THAT is fantastic storytelling.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #815 on: Jun 21, 2012 07:10 pm »

Oh wow, the husband of the FN councilwoman is even more useless than the councilwoman herself. And that's saying something. -_-

And Pema got that kid in five minutes? What is she, freaking superwoman? It's not supposed to go that fast!
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012 07:24 pm by NeeNee » Logged

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #816 on: Jun 21, 2012 08:12 pm »

^There was a bit of a jump in there between the Air kids beating the Chi Blockers and the Chi Blockers being tied up.  And Lin could have gone in to speed up the delivery...

momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #817 on: Jun 21, 2012 08:27 pm »

^There was a bit of a jump in there between the Air kids beating the Chi Blockers and the Chi Blockers being tied up.  And Lin could have gone in to speed up the delivery...

With one of her wires? Such a versatile tool.

Sig by arasam22
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #818 on: Jun 21, 2012 08:52 pm »

On a side note. People have mentioned that Korra has been unlocking chakras all throughout the series. Would there have been one unlocked in this episode?
I actually wonder why there isn't a thread for this yet. Every episode being linked to one of the chakras sounds like interesting speculation to me.

Amon: Lieutenant, get me tea.
Lieutenant: Why do I have to get you tea?
Amon: Because that's the only thing you're good for!
Lieutenant: Hey, that's not fair. I kidnapped that councilwoman. Doesn't that count for something?
Amon: Yes, you outsmarted a woman who constantly loses things inside her own purse. Very impressive.
Lieutenant: But... but...
Amon: You were beat up by children.
Lieutenant: They were airbenders!
Amon: Then you charged headlong into a polar bear dog the size of a truck.
Lieutenant: ...
Amon: ...
Lieutenant: ...what kind of tea do you want?
Grin

From what we understand, the airbending gene(?) is so strong that any child born of an airbending parent automatically becomes an airbender as well.

Poor Pema.  Cheesy

I don't believe this is true.  Katara and Aang had a waterbender, non-bender and an airbender.  Some bending families have benders and non-benders.  Out of the two twin earth-kingdom boys in "The Fortuneteller", only one was a bender.  I think it's just random.  I do remember Katara sensing Pema was going to have another bender as a child.  I think it would be cool if the bender was a airbender or waterbender (since Tenzin's mother is a waterbender).  We need more Airbenders though.
The comics confirmed that all Air Nomads were benders. It's likely that they were talking about children of two airbenders though.

^There was a bit of a jump in there between the Air kids beating the Chi Blockers and the Chi Blockers being tied up.  And Lin could have gone in to speed up the delivery...
Still, that couldn't have taken more than 10-15 minutes at most (Tenzin would have gotten there as fast as he could, and he's got a flying bison).

In RL, a delivery of two hours is considered really fast. And here they've got the birth, afterbirth, and the baby is all cleaned up within 15 minutes? Yeah... Undecided

Simon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Chibi Jet

« Reply #819 on: Jun 21, 2012 10:42 pm »

^ It's a kid's show.

And also, the Airbending gene is so "strong" only because the Airb Nomads are heavily spiritual. Tenzin is probably less spiritual than his previous generations, and Pema isn't very spiritual at all (from what we've seen). So there's a large chance that the baby is going to be a non-bender (and I hope it is).
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #820 on: Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm »

^How is Pema less spiritual? She is living and practicing the ways of the Air Nomads, that's the point of the Air Acolytes. They've had 3 Airbenders in a row, I think there's a better chance the baby will be an Airbender, at least I hope.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #821 on: Jun 21, 2012 11:19 pm »

^ It's a kid's show.

It's sad when you have to use that as an excuse to explain plotholes.

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #822 on: Jun 21, 2012 11:30 pm »

He will be an Airbender. Katara said so, never question the wisdom of the wise Katara.

Speaking of the kid, I hope Zuko doesn't die too soon form now, live long enough to get to know the kid, they have something in common. They were both lucky to be born, apprentely Zuko's birth was an adventure. Actully Rolan, Zuko, and the Moon Spirit aka Yue have that in common.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #823 on: Jun 21, 2012 11:55 pm »

^ Didn't Ozai just say that to spite Zuko?

SingingTurtle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #824 on: Jun 22, 2012 01:21 am »

Oh my gosh. I was freaking out about what these things would look like as soon as the "exterminator" equalist guy said it. Freaky little things.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: