Dec 14, 2017 02:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 135 (56.7%)
9 - 51 (21.4%)
8 - 28 (11.8%)
7 - 13 (5.5%)
6 - 4 (1.7%)
5 - 2 (0.8%)
4 - 3 (1.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 238

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [109] Out of the Past  (Read 47029 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #875 on: Jan 02, 2013 10:19 pm »

In principle it may make sense, but thematically, I don't think canon really support the notion of a "good army of bloodbenders".

If we start giving the themes of the story that much power, then we'd have to toss The Promise out as discontinuity.

I vote yes. Anyone else?

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #876 on: Jan 02, 2013 10:42 pm »

Not to mention that the whole Yakone affair thing seemed pretty tiring on Aang. I mean look how tired and annoyed he seemed when he insisted that he go with Toph and when Toph called him "Twinkletoes." (but that could've jut been general annoyance and stuff)

I think it was his knowledge that this mess wouldn't happen if his beloved wife didn't go jerkwire on maybe the most important after-war topic  Wink.

Uh...well for one...what?

The illegalization was a very-very bad move. Katara should go to the opposite way, and create a "Bloodbender Academy". That way, she could acquire control over the spread and usage of bloodbending, and thus she could avert the whole Yakone incident.

...no...this would've eventually gone the way of the Dai Li, and instead of corrupted government earthbenders, you would have corrupted phsycobath waterbender/bloodbender murders running loose around the streets.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #877 on: Jan 03, 2013 07:30 am »

...no...this would've eventually gone the way of the Dai Li, and instead of corrupted government earthbenders, you would have corrupted phsycobath waterbender/bloodbender murders running loose around the streets.

But that would be Katara's failure again. It is all about controlling an extremely powerful ability instead of simply tossing it aside, essentially putting a huge "Use me for evil!" sign on it. And nobody said that the bloodbenders should have their academy around civilization. A nice, remote estabilishment somewhere on the uninhabitated AN islands would be perfectly fine. They can even have a strict, religious cult to control the personality twisting side effect of bloodbending.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #878 on: Jan 03, 2013 09:21 am »

^the problem is that i feel blood-bending is similar to nuclear power
you can try to control it, but there will always be bad people who will try and abuse that power

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #879 on: Jan 03, 2013 09:31 am »

^the problem is that i feel blood-bending is similar to nuclear power
you can try to control it, but there will always be bad people who will try and abuse that power

The basic idea is that the cult will have all the bloodbenders. So you can't have the power outside the cult, and if you still managed to do it, then you have to face the cult's wrath.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013 09:34 am by AtoMaki » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #880 on: Jan 03, 2013 10:06 am »

^very easily the most powerful bloodbender in the cult becomes corrupted with the power and goes rouge, or maybe an outsider manages to learn the methods, or the leader in the cult becomes corrupted and slowly teaches them his/her ideals which are dangerous to society

i think just the existence of it poses a huge threat, and the only way to get rid of that is to get rid of blood-bending

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #881 on: Jan 03, 2013 10:15 am »

i think just the existence of it poses a huge threat, and the only way to get rid of that is to get rid of blood-bending

Well, I guess with the death of the water siblings, this has already happened  Tongue.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #882 on: Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am »

^touche Tongue

it'd be problem if another powerful bender comes out tho o.o
actually i think it's a horrendous cycle D:

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #883 on: Jan 03, 2013 07:08 pm »

Guys, Bloodbending is a fictional martial art.

It's the rules that a dark disciple eventually try to use it to show the futility of mercy and compassion.

Fortunately, any good-hearted student of the same art can beat them up within two hours. Aang's problem was that he wasn't a Bloodbender. It ruined the whole narrative flow of the thing. You watch, Korra somehow left behind a loose end, too. Gotta get a good Bloodbender to solve the problem. Shirtless.

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #884 on: Jan 04, 2013 02:32 am »

Quote from: Loopy link=topic=21445.msg2234769#msg2234769
Gotta get a good Bloodbender to solve the problem. Shirtless.

The only good bloodbender around is a 90 year old woman. Are you sure about this?

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #885 on: Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am »

Guys, Bloodbending is a fictional martial art.

It's the rules that a dark disciple eventually try to use it to show the futility of mercy and compassion.

Fortunately, any good-hearted student of the same art can beat them up within two hours. Aang's problem was that he wasn't a Bloodbender. It ruined the whole narrative flow of the thing. You watch, Korra somehow left behind a loose end, too. Gotta get a good Bloodbender to solve the problem. Shirtless.

all due to word of god Tongue
in a realistic situation i'm pretty sure the situation would be more dire

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #886 on: Jan 04, 2013 04:22 pm »

Quote from: Loopy link=topic=21445.msg2234769#msg2234769
Gotta get a good Bloodbender to solve the problem. Shirtless.

The only good bloodbender around is a 90 year old woman. Are you sure about this?

I am.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #887 on: Jan 04, 2013 04:24 pm »

^ I believe somewhere in the spirit world, Aang is too  Grin
Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #888 on: Jan 04, 2013 04:42 pm »

Ewwheeheehhweeeeh

...what? :/
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2013 11:55 pm by Avapony » Logged

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #889 on: Jan 04, 2013 04:57 pm »

^ d*ck joke....I think. Tongue

Sig made by Dorky.
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #890 on: Sep 24, 2014 09:09 pm »

So, what were Yakone's crimes exactly? We know he used bloodbending, but that is about it. I wish we knew more about Yakone. I really want to know how he learned psychic bloodbending.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #891 on: Sep 25, 2014 08:31 am »

So, what were Yakone's crimes exactly? We know he used bloodbending, but that is about it. I wish we knew more about Yakone. I really want to know how he learned psychic bloodbending.

Based on what the prosecutor said at his trial, it sounds like he was a mobster of sorts that used bloodbending to get what he wanted.

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #892 on: Sep 25, 2014 10:51 am »

He was Republic City's criminal overlord. Bloodbending was his tool.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #893 on: Sep 25, 2014 05:34 pm »

Well, yeah, but his trial seemed about the Bloodbending, so my assumption is that his being a mobster couldn't be proven. In light of what the trial was about, I think he was convicted on a number of cases of singular and mass assault, by way of his Bloodbending. And, of course, his subsequent mass assault on everyone in the courtroom, his fleeing custody, and attempted murder against Aang.

Also, didn't they say that Bloodbending was illegal in and of itself? So his the crimes he was being accused of was essentially committing assault with a gun he didn't have a license for.

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #894 on: Sep 25, 2014 05:55 pm »

Also, didn't they say that Bloodbending was illegal in and of itself? So his the crimes he was being accused of was essentially committing assault with a gun he didn't have a license for.

Good analogy. There is one thing I have always wondered though. What if someone used bloodbending in a life threatening situation when being attacked by aggressors? Would he/she still be put on trial?

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #895 on: Sep 26, 2014 04:37 pm »

In certain countries being caught with a pocket knife will get you in trouble - even if you were using it as protection. The idea is that you were at least subconsciously looking for trouble. I think it'd be the same thing here - wherein if you could use bloodbending as protection... you could have just as easily used normal waterbending to get out of trouble. The moreso as generally it takes a full moon to even bother using bloodbending.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #896 on: Sep 26, 2014 05:30 pm »

The courts would definitely find the Bloodbender guilty, but at least if things operate like they do in America, the judge would have a bit of leeway in terms of the penalty. The judge could use the logic Esperaholon described to throw the book at the Bloodbender, or the judge could take the circumstances into account and mitigate the sentence.

It might also depend on how skilled the Bloodbender in question turned out to be. Katara could do it without even practicing the technique, so any Waterbender could give it a try in a horrible situation where there's no choice, and that person would probably get a lighter sentence, but someone who looked like they had been practicing Bloodbending before using it in those circumstances might get something harsher for the implied earlier crimes.

Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #897 on: Sep 29, 2014 12:42 pm »

Katara is a horrible example - remember this is the chick who instantly learned healing... because reasons I guess. I mean you'd think that if just sticking her hands in water was enough for healing that she'd have learned this ages ago - what she never cut herself? Ugh...

That said I think it would depend on precedent as to how the courts would act - like prior to Amon and his merry band of idiots simply knowing Chi Blocking wouldn't have been suspect. Now however... even if you're only using it for protection you'll probably come off worst than you would have before.

So in the wake of Yakone and his sons being caught blood bending is probably the worst idea you could ever have in the URN - and it's probably not the best thing to be caught doing anywhere else either.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #898 on: Dec 30, 2014 08:19 pm »

I liked the Yakone flashback, but this episode agained failed to provide the cast with any sense of distinctiveness. All the dialogue was generic. I also found the way the plot progressed to be strange. I can't put my finger on it but it seemed very fast-paced. Anyway I thought the part where Tarrlok lost his bending to be good, though the pre-battle banter was cheesy. Mako also annoyed me at the end and Asami bugged me whenever she stopped the plot to engage in her petty jealousy.

Lastly, I loved the music. Especially the track that played at the end. Good job Jeremy on composing such a good piece.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #899 on: Dec 31, 2014 08:50 am »

I thought "I am the solution" was possibly Amon's best line in the season.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: