Mar 28, 2017 03:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The most powerful bending element?  (Read 78177 times)
ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #250 on: Feb 23, 2015 09:59 am »

But you did say Comet boost would allow them to shrug off bloodbending just, "as easily as Avatar State Aang did". Which is...completely incorrect. No matter how you slice it.

Okay, nearly as easily then.

But in terms of firebending displays, Ozai and Iroh displayed power on par with AS Aang.

AS Aang's firebending is STILL stronger than even Comet Ozai's firebending.

AS Aang + the Comet isn't much better than Comet Ozai's firebending, even taking into account the other factors you brought up.

So AS Aang with Comet>Comet Ozai>AS Aang. Therefore, if AS Aang is strong enough to instantly shrug off Yakone's full-power, logically Comet Ozai would be strong enough to do so. Unless you can show that AS level Firebending is better than anything Ozai did, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Jonas64
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Whatever it takes!

« Reply #251 on: Feb 23, 2015 01:22 pm »

^ That's wrong again. NO WAY is normal AS Aang weaker than comet Ozai (if Aang doest use his firebending to fight). Did you forget Aang defeated comet Ozai with his water and airbending, followed by his earth sense. Sozins Comet doesnt add an extra boost on top of Avatar State for Aangs waterbending, airbending or earthbending.

Besides were sort of derailing this topic here...Sozins Comet vs Bloodbending is being debated over in the battle thread if you want to take it up there.

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #252 on: Feb 23, 2015 01:58 pm »

I just started wondering about something. If Katara could use her sweat to make enough water for her to escape jail in episode 308 why couldn't Ming Hua do the same thing? It sure wasn't freezing where she was locked up.

Also, is it possible to literally tearbend? As in, use your tears as bending water for whatever purpose.

On a more serious note, do you think it would be possible for a bloodbender to make a cut to his or her body and use their own blood the way waterbenders use regular water? Watched Deadman Wonderland a while ago so I came up with that idea.

All my written material is free of any and all copyright, it can be used freely for everyone's inspiration
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #253 on: Feb 23, 2015 02:06 pm »

I just started wondering about something. If Katara could use her sweat to make enough water for her to escape jail in episode 308 why couldn't Ming Hua do the same thing? It sure wasn't freezing where she was locked up.

Her cage isn't a wooden one and cutting steel would require a lot more water than single drops of sweat I guess. Plus she wouldn't be able to reach the top without good amount of water supply. Guards would have taken her down before she could do any real damage.

Also, is it possible to literally tearbend? As in, use your tears as bending water for whatever purpose.

I don't see why not? Cheesy

On a more serious note, do you think it would be possible for a bloodbender to make a cut to his or her body and use their own blood the way waterbenders use regular water? Watched Deadman Wonderland a while ago so I came up with that idea.

Didn't they say that it's not actually "blood-bending" but controlling water in a human's body? I might be wrong though, not sure.
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #254 on: Feb 23, 2015 02:32 pm »

40 percent of blood is water...
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #255 on: Feb 23, 2015 04:02 pm »

I'm sure all of that is possible but the better question is how far it would actually get her. It looks like she uses at least 1 litre for her arms and I'm not sure how much she'd have to sweat/cut herself to achieve that result or at least anything similar. Or if she would even get anywhere if she sweat (= got tired) or bled so much.

SunxFire
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Buurn!

« Reply #256 on: Feb 23, 2015 04:59 pm »

Firebenders don't need to move in order to bend. So even if they did get bloodbent they still have comet boosted breathe of fire.

Jonas64
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Whatever it takes!

« Reply #257 on: Feb 23, 2015 06:10 pm »

Firebenders don't need to move in order to bend. So even if they did get bloodbent they still have comet boosted breathe of fire.

Untill the bloodbender bends their head forward towards the ground...then bounces their whole body into the dirt like a basketball.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015 06:21 pm by Jonas64 » Logged

SunxFire
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Buurn!

« Reply #258 on: Feb 23, 2015 07:43 pm »

Untill the bloodbender bends their head forward towards the ground...then bounces their whole body into the dirt like a basketball.
The thing is they wont get bloodbent when they are flying hundreds of feet above the Blood bros shooting giant streams of fire. Comet>Moon in terms of power boost.

Eman5805
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A Soulful Brother

« Reply #259 on: Feb 23, 2015 08:04 pm »

Could bloodbending stop someone from combustion bending? With that, the only thing they need to be able to do is breathe and point their head at stuff....

ThaiOzai
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #260 on: Feb 23, 2015 08:25 pm »

Could bloodbending stop someone from combustion bending? With that, the only thing they need to be able to do is breathe and point their head at stuff....

Combustionbending only requires breath, so if a bloodbender doesn't know he's dealing with a combustionbender, he'll be in for a nasty surprise...
Jonas64
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Whatever it takes!

« Reply #261 on: Feb 23, 2015 08:49 pm »

The thing is they wont get bloodbent when they are flying hundreds of feet above the Blood bros shooting giant streams of fire. Comet>Moon in terms of power boost.

Sure, Comet > Moon. But Yakone, Noatak and Tarrlok >>> Katara, Pakku and Unalaq.

The bloodbending family can everyday, anytime bloodbend a group of people (including top-tier benders like adult Toph and adult Aang). Katara without the full moon can waterbend the ocean to douse and move an entire battleship out of the way. Only with the full moon can she bloodbend a single person. Tarrlock can bloodbend multiple people without the full moon, while Noatak can do so without moving his hands.

Have them working together, with the full moon, boosting BOTH of their waterbending control...they would move at least around a battleship's volume worth of water each, easily.   

Of course. Yakone was able to make top-tier benders lose consciousness with just his mind. Combustionbending requires even more control than regular firebending and a moment's lapse in concentration...can make your bending - combust in front of your head!

aangthenomad
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #262 on: Nov 14, 2015 02:38 am »

Air is really powerful, and it is found everywhere, but bloodbending is super useful too. Earth bending is more useful if you can lavabend and metalbend as well, and fire bending is good, just not in enclosed spaces( because of the smoke). But they are all equal, and the element is only more powerful, if the bender is more powerful.
Polaris
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've waited 13 years...

« Reply #263 on: Nov 16, 2015 04:18 pm »

Fire all the way.

It is the most combat suitable, fierce, powerful, lethal, beautiful, menacing, purest and is basically energybending. Earth or air are next in line...IMO

Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #264 on: Nov 16, 2015 11:40 pm »

Fire is my favorite element, but sadly it is also weakest in my opinion or shares it with air. Water is strongest and Earth is somewhere between.
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #265 on: Nov 17, 2015 01:02 am »

I still think Fire is the best element, but what I hate most about it is that it has the most weaknesses and is the easiest to counter. Its power boosts are nothing in comparison to waterbending. The only time they get a strength boost is every 100 years compared to waterbending's every month. Granted the power boost is supposed to be greater than that, but even then, random mooks aren't shown to be any more dangerous than without the comet seeing how easily they were beaten by non firebenders.

The size and power of blasts don't really match well compared to others unless you're a master. Jeong Jeong's flame wall is probably the biggest non-Avatar firebending and it's supposed to be imressive even though we already have earthbenders and waterbenders that can do that with no problem. It also has a lack of variety with subsets. Lightning takes too long to do compared to metalbending, and combustion bending is rare.

Firebending is pretty much airbending going by the shows' physics, but it's just a little simplified. As I've noticed that airbenders get all these cool moves that firebenders should be able to do based on similarity (specifically AoE). I don't see why jet propulsion should require Sozin's comet just to do it with your feet. Korra is the only firebender shown doing it with her feet w/o the Avatar State or Sozin's comet (in the finale.)

Overall, fire just feels less powerful than the other elements. It doesn't help that characters always had to conveniently dodge/block almost every fire blast just because we can't have people getting burned.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #266 on: Nov 17, 2015 04:14 am »

^Iroh II did it too, kind of. Admittedly he used both his hands and his feet, Iron Man style, and he did it to boost from one airplane to another, so he already had velocity. i suppose it was closer to what Azula did at the boiling rock than to actual flight.

firebenders being able to fly, even for short distances (keeping in line with firebending being all about fighting with fierce, quick strikes due to lack of endurance. drag a battle out too long and the firebender will run out of steam) would give them an edge. an airbender can fly away, but if the firebender can give him a good chase he might catch up before the airbender is too far gone.

average non-comet Firebenders going full VTOL Harrier Jumpjet would be too much.

i'd like to see firebenders use fire thrusts to propell themselves quickly around or towards an opponent, or zip/skate across a battle field

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
NitroShinobi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #267 on: Nov 19, 2015 06:31 pm »

Honestly, it would have to be air, no doubt about it. In the original series, Firelord Sozin had to use a comet (a block of ice?) to demolish the air nomads, simply because the air ending prinocple is just too op. If each element had absolutely no restrictions, like psychological thinking, etc, etc, it would be pretty close between water bending and airbending, because A, BLOODBENDING... Most op bending form ever, and B, air, because we all know you can't fight without air. The air benders would have been the most op benders if they were not spiritual, because they believed violence was a last resort (and only in self defense) between air and water, IT's whoever gets the first strike. BLOODBENDING would be instant ko, but you can't really bend if you can't breath :p
Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

That Could Have Been Executed Better

« Reply #268 on: Nov 21, 2015 11:09 pm »

If married to technology properly, I'd have to say earth - specifically, metalbending. We saw what it could do when coupled with something like the Colossus.

Built around metalbending, I can see the Earth Empire mechasuits affording the user a smaller relative advantage, for a much lower cost, not involving spirit vines either.

Make the "suit" smaller, manipulated by metalbending entirely, with a metal whip(like what the show's mechasuits used but powered by bending and not the suit itself), a flamethrower and lightning projector on one arm(modified to store electric charge from any firebenders who try to zap you), and Kuvira's metal strips in addition to some sort of close-combat gappling/sword combination weapon like what Kuvira used in her fight with Suyin on the other arm...

I have a hard time imagining what could beat such a suit aside from another metalbender or a psychic bloodbender, let alone if the pilot was a master earthbender and metalbender, like King Bumi level, or a lavabender like Ghazan. Seismic sense gives another layer of protection, making you hard to sneak up on (aside from by air).

With the possible exception of water, if you were to make some sort of extreme water hydraulic driven mechasuit and let a psychic bloodbender pilot it, none of the other elements merge and synergize as well with technology as earthbending and metalbending. Nothing like being able to make your skin metal, and build on top of that...

See the bitter remnants, milling around the corpse of a dead god.
Bled dry man, transfusion shy, blood critic
It is what it is, and it will never be what it wasn’t.
Book 5:Humanity, aka: Freedom's First Writing
Polaris
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've waited 13 years...

« Reply #269 on: Dec 02, 2015 02:22 pm »

Fire is my favorite element, but sadly it is also weakest in my opinion or shares it with air. Water is strongest and Earth is somewhere between.
Fire is actually the strongest, in terms of fighting power. If anything water and air share the title of weakest. I direct hit from a boulder kills people, metal razor kills people, heck uncharged lightning and tiny fire blasts are lethal. People shrug of ice shards and the most powerful airblast all the time.

I still think Fire is the best element, but what I hate most about it is that it has the most weaknesses and is the easiest to counter. Its power boosts are nothing in comparison to waterbending. The only time they get a strength boost is every 100 years compared to waterbending's every month. Granted the power boost is supposed to be greater than that, but even then, random mooks aren't shown to be any more dangerous than without the comet seeing how easily they were beaten by non firebenders.
Firebending doesn't havedefensesknesses besides icy cold weather and lack of drive, atleast that's all I know. It's power boost are seemingly even greater than the typical avatar state but I think you are comparing it with the moon boost. Which only happens once a month and doesn't even appear all that threatening because I literally saw no increase of power in Katara v Hama fight, Katara was shown bending more water without the moon. Well the firebending mooks almost killed Sokka and Toph, and gave all of the WL hell, Iroh and Jeong Jeong were the core reason they succeeded.

The size and power of blasts don't really match well compared to others unless you're a master. Jeong Jeong's flame wall is probably the biggest non-Avatar firebending and it's supposed to be imressive even though we already have earthbenders and waterbenders that can do that with no problem. It also has a lack of variety with subsets. Lightning takes too long to do compared to metalbending, and combustion bending is rare.
What do you mean, unless you are a master? Are you saying that firebending sucks unless you are a master? There were plenty of earthbending/waterbending mooks that showed no better feats than a standard fire soldier. The thing that made Jeong Jeongs comet feat impressive was the fact that he was bending like a waterbender, something he admired. He spawned from the ground instead of from his limbs, much like a waterbender pulling water then redirecting. Firewalls exist, he wasn't the first person to do so, but thats another minor weakness to balance fire, they lack solid defenses.

Firebending is pretty much airbending going by the shows' physics, but it's just a little simplified. As I've noticed that airbenders get all these cool moves that firebenders should be able to do based on similarity (specifically AoE). I don't see why jet propulsion should require Sozin's comet just to do it with your feet. Korra is the only firebender shown doing it with her feet w/o the Avatar State or Sozin's comet (in the finale.)
There is no difference in propelling with your feet or your hands, they serve the same purpose. Korra used her feet while she used her hands to carry the huge boulders in the scene you are referring to.

Either can be used easily as shown by Mako who usually uses his hands.

Overall, fire just feels less powerful than the other elements. It doesn't help that characters always had to conveniently dodge/block almost every fire blast just because we can't have people getting burned.
I sort of feel the same way as well. Overall firebending wasn't that impressive compared to ATLA. It lacked creativity, everything was just fire punch fire punch FIRE KICK, straightfoward and boring when compared to what was shown in the last series, fire whips, spinning orbs, saws, spiralling fire and stuff.

^Iroh II did it too, kind of. Admittedly he used both his hands and his feet, Iron Man style, and he did it to boost from one airplane to another, so he already had velocity. i suppose it was closer to what Azula did at the boiling rock than to actual flight.

He flew airplane speeds into the air by himself, that was fully fledged flight, Azula only sustained hers for a one second boost. Mako was also seen flying towards Ghazan to save Bolin and he was pretty far up in the air too.

firebenders being able to fly, even for short distances (keeping in line with firebending being all about fighting with fierce, quick strikes due to lack of endurance. drag a battle out too long and the firebender will run out of steam) would give them an edge. an airbender can fly away, but if the firebender can give him a good chase he might catch up before the airbender is too far gone.
I don't think propelling has you run out of steam. On fact it is shown to be easy once you master firebending itself. Besides if you think about it firebenders have better flight than airbenders. The airbenders have always needed a gliding device to fly while firebenders rocket themselves with sheer will.

Scaling building sized objects isn't a short distance.

Azula invented fire skating.

Built around metalbending, I can see the Earth Empire mechasuits affording the user a smaller relative advantage, for a much lower cost, not involving spirit vines either.
Firebenders generate infinite amounts of energy and are excellent welders, I say their suits would dominate on the battle field.

Make the "suit" smaller, manipulated by metalbending entirely, with a metal whip(like what the show's mechasuits used but powered by bending and not the suit itself), a flamethrower and lightning projector on one arm(modified to store electric charge from any firebenders who try to zap you), and Kuvira's metal strips in addition to some sort of close-combat gappling/sword combination weapon like what Kuvira used in her fight with Suyin on the other arm...
What happens when you overcharge a battery?

Goodluck to anything trying to store the force of a lightning bolt. Mech electricity isn't in the same league as lightning from firebenders. If this baby couldn't stop Mako than a simple non platinum basic metal suit will fall short to any lightning bender.

I have a hard time imagining what could beat such a suit aside from another metalbender or a psychic bloodbender, let alone if the pilot was a master earthbender and metalbender, like King Bumi level, or a lavabender like Ghazan. Seismic sense gives another layer of protection, making you hard to sneak up on (aside from by air).
Any bender that is good enough Tongue
Tenzin launched heavier mechs sky high.
Mako overcharged 2 mechs.
Korra would freeze it but there are a million ways to beat another mech variation.

Seeing as firebenders can manipulate heat, if any were to realize their potential they would be unstoppable because they would have their own bloodbending, called deep freeze you by draining heat or making you spontaneously combust. That would be just beautiful to see a firebender creating a flame inside of one's body....jk. A firebending version of seismic sense would give them thermal vision.

Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #270 on: Dec 02, 2015 05:18 pm »

Firebenders generate infinite amounts of energy and are excellent welders, I say their suits would dominate on the battle field.
If the right system for power was used for the earthbending mechasuit, the mechasuit could also have theoretically infinite power. Use metalbending to manually generate electricity to charge a battery by moving metal next to a magnet - I've explained the idea before elsewhere, basically using the process that hydroelectric dams use to produce electricity from physical movement and move the metal directly instead of by water power.

You wouldn't need welding if you can simply bend two pieces of metal together and unite them as one, fixing whatever hole there was. And welding requires the target to be stationary, given the heat involved (you wouldn't be picking up anything that had been welded any time soon after welding, let alone during)and requirement for forms to be in their final resting position, so if a firebender wanted to weld, he could only fix holes and breaks while stationary(unless they had some very heat-tolerant handling equipment). You don't see US Navy builders trying to have their robotic welders work on a moving target.

On the other hand, metalbenders do not have this stationary requirement.

What happens when you overcharge a battery?
http://41.media.tumblr.com/d0c70c81b1c0417fba1d2346914484fc/tumblr_inline_nliyr1eAaS1rc05h7_500.jpg

Goodluck to anything trying to store the force of a lightning bolt. Mech electricity isn't in the same league as lightning from firebenders. If this baby couldn't stop Mako than a simple non platinum basic metal suit will fall short to any lightning bender.
Perhaps I should have phrased it differently - the basic idea is, you take in a charge, and then can use it to store electrochemical energy in a battery, or then immediately unleash it through the electrical weapon. A lightning redirection using metal and technology instead of firebending, if you will.

I did not remember them at the time of posting, but two other options, one of which would make the mechasuit invulnerable to electricity no matter the situation, and the other which is dependent on contact with the ground, are a Faraday Cage and lightning rod, respectively.

The mechatanks that were zapped in the show did not include a Faraday Cage or equivalent electrical protection, for some unknown reason. Even a car is a Faraday Cage, and weather experts recommend staying inside your car during a thunderstorm, making sure to not touch metal. With a simple if somewhat uncomfortable fix, any mechasuit could be a fully functioning Faraday Cage: put the pilot inside a thin inner shell of earth in direct contact with their skin(pretty sure Toph wouldn't mind Tongue), earth not conducting electricity well. A more expensive but more comfortable alternative: a thin rubber suit.

The way a metalbending lightning rod would work is the metalbender bends the upper portion to meet the electrical strike, and a spur into the ground, with a copper cable or wire(thickness depending on amount needed to be dissipated) connecting the two. With metalbending, the metal taking in the strike could even be deformed and expanded to catch more of the bolt. The only limitation to this system is the need for grounding.

Any bender that is good enough Tongue
Tenzin launched heavier mechs sky high.
Mako overcharged 2 mechs.
Korra would freeze it but there are a million ways to beat another mech variation.

Seeing as firebenders can manipulate heat, if any were to realize their potential they would be unstoppable because they would have their own bloodbending, called deep freeze you by draining heat or making you spontaneously combust. That would be just beautiful to see a firebender creating a flame inside of one's body....jk. A firebending version of seismic sense would give them thermal vision.
Tenzin launched two mechatanks being piloted by nonbenders. Had they been piloted by intelligent earthbenders(not even metalbenders), then the pilot could have sunk their machine into the earth slightly, or (if a metalbender) shot thick metal cables from the mechatank into the earth using metalbending and establishing a literal metal root, thus making them impossible to just whack skyward without significantly more force behind them, or an earthbender counter. Like a bending version of stabilizers used on heavy construction equipment to better distribute the weight across a larger surface, except underground partially. See below, the two little "stilts":

See above on Mako overcharging mechs, the Faraday Cage or lightning rod ideas. Even with what the Equalists had, they could have made their mechatanks less susceptible to electric attack - just have a mechanical version of the lightning rod, a spike to jam into the earth and bleed off charge.

Korra's water did manage to encase the Colossus - but it broke out eventually. While ice is strong, metal is stronger.

On siphoning someone else's heat - now we're entering fanfiction/speculation territory. And if we're going there, there's a lot of things never shown in the series that would mesh well with metalbending, to say the least... Even things shown within the series were not properly meshed with metalbending - see aircraft, the primitive infantry fighting vehicles they called "tanks" and mechasuits they had.

Even if earth and metalbending aren't currently the strongest, with limiting it to what was shown in TLOK or ATLA, I still maintain they will both scale better with technology than any other element, simply due to the fact that most technology (excepting more modern aircraft that use carbon fiber and fiberglass construction) is metal-based.

Edit: another idea on lightning/electricity re-direction - have copper-core, iron-covered cables with small cooper channels on the surface that meet the core. Use these much like the ones used on the nonbender Earth Empire mechasuits to conduct and redirect electricity. A firebender strikes the mechasuit with a bolt, and electricity temporarily course over it for a short time (pilot protected by the Faraday Cage effect), until the metalbender shoots this longer, single-purpose "lightning rod" cable at the ground or an enemy, conveying the electricity to this other target through a lower-resistance path (copper known for its conductivity).

The airbenders have always needed a gliding device to fly while firebenders rocket themselves with sheer will.
Not all airbenders...
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015 06:40 pm by Freedom153 » Logged

Polaris
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've waited 13 years...

« Reply #271 on: Dec 02, 2015 08:07 pm »

If the right system for power was used for the earthbending mechasuit, the mechasuit could also have theoretically infinite power. Use metalbending to manually generate electricity to charge a battery by moving metal next to a magnet - I've explained the idea before elsewhere, basically using the process that hydroelectric dams use to produce electricity from physical movement and move the metal directly instead of by water power.
Wow you know alot about this particular branch of science and machinery  Shocked I guess all I can say is thar the firebenders would cause an electrical interference with the magnet disabling it, or just overheat it.

You wouldn't need welding if you can simply bend two pieces of metal together and unite them as one, fixing whatever hole there was. And welding requires the target to be stationary, given the heat involved (you wouldn't be picking up anything that had been welded any time soon after welding, let alone during)and requirement for forms to be in their final resting position, so if a firebender wanted to weld, he could only fix holes and breaks while stationary(unless they had some very heat-tolerant handling equipment). You don't see US Navy builders trying to have their robotic welders work on a moving target.
Can metal benders actually mold things together? Wouldn't they need heat the have them converge? I think someone who has complete control of fire wouldn't need to remain stationary to burn through something, picking up hot things is easy when you can redirect the heat.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently - the basic idea is, you take in a charge, and then can use it to store electrochemical energy in a battery, or then immediately unleash it through the electrical weapon. A lightning redirection using metal and technology instead of firebending, if you will.
It could only take so much at once, nothing is stopping a firebender from burning through the suit with some plasma level heat like an electric arc, that would do the trick.

The mechatanks that were zapped in the show did not include a Faraday Cage or equivalent electrical protection, for some unknown reason. Even a car is a Faraday Cage, and weather experts recommend staying inside your car during a thunderstorm, making sure to not touch metal. With a simple if somewhat uncomfortable fix, any mechasuit could be a fully functioning Faraday Cage: put the pilot inside a thin inner shell of earth in direct contact with their skin(pretty sure Toph wouldn't mind Tongue), earth not conducting electricity well. A more expensive but more comfortable alternative: a thin rubber suit.
Then it seems that sheer lightning power alone won't do the trick. If a firebender were to wear a giant battery on their backs Lieutenant style, they could amp up their power by absorbing, redirecting and mixing it with there electricity for a more powerful bolt? Heck attach a microwave to them to mimic a burning ball and they have a homemade Sozin's Comet. Now that would be smart, if a firebender realized they had the tech to get the same level of heat that the comet provides, no mech would stop them. Shocked They would be getting the power of 200 suns(maybe some cancer) all from a oven or microwave cranked up to high on their backs.

Tenzin launched two mechatanks being piloted by nonbenders. Had they been piloted by intelligent earthbenders(not even metalbenders), then the pilot could have sunk their machine into the earth slightly, or (if a metalbender) shot thick metal cables from the mechatank into the earth using metalbending and establishing a literal metal root, thus making them impossible to just whack skyward without significantly more force behind them, or an earthbender counter. Like a bending version of stabilizers used on heavy construction equipment to better distribute the weight across a larger surface, except underground partially. See below, the two little "stilts":
The other nations would take notes on these stabilizers and steal every bit of advantage those earthbenders possessed.

Korra's water did manage to encase the Colossus - but it broke out eventually. While ice is strong, metal is stronger.
Yes but it had a it's arm slightly free and ran on spirit energy, the metalbender suit would require lots of struggle to get out where as a firebender could melt it's way out.

On siphoning someone else's heat - now we're entering fanfiction/speculation territory. And if we're going there, there's a lot of things never shown in the series that would mesh well with metalbending, to say the least... Even things shown within the series were not properly meshed with metalbending - see aircraft, the primitive infantry fighting vehicles they called "tanks" and mechasuits they had.

It's actually a technique that is capable of turning molten lava into stone, guaranteed turn anything into an ice cube.

Even if earth and metalbending aren't currently the strongest, with limiting it to what was shown in TLOK or ATLA, I still maintain they will both scale better with technology than any other element, simply due to the fact that most technology (excepting more modern aircraft that use carbon fiber and fiberglass construction) is metal-based.
You will fear the day when Firebenders learn about the electromagnetic spectrum and that they get their powers directly from the source! Energy weapons over everything.

Not all airbenders...

There is no prize for second place.

Freedom153
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #272 on: Dec 02, 2015 10:49 pm »

God damn it, typed a long reply - accidentally closed the window.  Angry

Lazy man's version:
Can metal benders actually mold things together? Wouldn't they need heat the have them converge? I think someone who has complete control of fire wouldn't need to remain stationary to burn through something, picking up hot things is easy when you can redirect the heat.
I do not know for sure. I do know however that metalbenders can quickly improvise more armor/covering, beyond what I showed Toph doing:

And, similar to how soldiers in Iraq asked locals to help them armor their Humvees and make makeshift gunner shields, a metalbender could simply cover or fill in any hole with metal or earth. If there's a hole in your armor, simply bend metal to fill in the gap, and then extend it out over the surrounding metal to cement it in place, like a rivet. Also, see how Toph locked Xin Fu and Master Yu inside her metal prison - metalbenders can certainly ruffle metal together forcefully. (I'd link a screen but they're all too dark).

Waterbenders can repair water shields and ice shields in a similar manner, and these two bending styles show the most similarity as far as repair goes.
It could only take so much at once, nothing is stopping a firebender from burning through the suit with some plasma level heat like an electric arc, that would do the trick.
That sounds like it would require a special talent to me.

During Sozin's Comet, even Avatar State firebending by Aang was not pure white fire, nor was Azula's fire pure white fire, his mainly consisting of red and yellow, with white present but not dominant, and Azula's blue and white flame stronger, but not melt metal levels. White fire, like what comes out of an ICBM or space rocket, or flame the temperature of an oxyacetylene torch or of a plasma saw, is what would be required to effectively and quickly cut through metal. You can't take out a modern tank with a flamethrower, after all, and I'd say most firebending is closer to a flamethrower than rocket engine fire.

Ozai Sozin's Comet blast:

Aang Avatar State Sozin's Comet blasts:

Azula Sozin's Comet blast:

None of the three have much white present, and all appear to simply be bigger than normal. Of the three, Ozai has the most white present, oddly.

Then it seems that sheer lightning power alone won't do the trick. If a firebender were to wear a giant battery on their backs Lieutenant style, they could amp up their power by absorbing, redirecting and mixing it with there electricity for a more powerful bolt? Heck attach a microwave to them to mimic a burning ball and they have a homemade Sozin's Comet. Now that would be smart, if a firebender realized they had the tech to get the same level of heat that the comet provides, no mech would stop them.  Shocked Shocked They would be getting the power of 200 suns(maybe some cancer) all from a oven or microwave cranked up to high on their backs.
I've toyed with similar ideas, along the same lines - if firebenders draw their power from the sun, which undergoes constant nuclear fusion, what would the effect of a nearby fusion (or perhaps even fission) reactor be on firebending? Would firebending get a permanent Sozin's Comet level boost in the immediate vicinity?

There are many ways the various bending disciplines could mesh with technology, but I still find earth to mesh with technology the best - followed by fire, with lightning generation providing easy power, and fire itself (particularly jet propulsion, combustionbending and fire direction ability) meshing well with more modern warfare type equipment, or even what's within TLOK's world as it stands.

Unless we're talking submarine and surface naval warfare. In that case, I wouldn't want to touch a modernized and fully waterbending-integrated force without waterbenders of my own.

The other nations would take notes on these stabilizers and steal every bit of advantage those earthbenders possessed.
The point of the stabilizers was as an example of an earthbending or metalbending form, not an actual piece of equipment. One could accomplish the effect by rooting yourself to the earth - something we've seen both earthbenders and waterbenders do.
Katara in “The Waterbending Master”:

Sandbender in “The Library”:

This form I talked about goes above and beyond, actually rooting the user, or rather, the equipment, beneath the ground, by digging the equipment or something attached(the thick metal cable) in. Even the technique involving the cable is an almost-purely bending-based root and insurance against knockback.
Yes but it had a it's arm slightly free and ran on spirit energy, the metalbender suit would require lots of struggle to get out where as a firebender could melt it's way out.
The Colossus was platinum - unbendable by anyone. With a non-platinum suit, the suit's user could deform the metal outward with increasingly large hand movements, picking apart their ice prison from the inside like an icebreaker ship forges paths into Artic sea ice.

With brute physical force. Ice is still weaker than metal.
It's actually a technique that is capable of turning molten lava into stone, guaranteed turn anything into an ice cube.
I'm aware of the technique. However, given waterbenders need either a full moon or special ability to manipulate water within another animal, I'd have to imagine a similar restriction would apply to stealing someone's heat. Just like plasmabending or white fire, there's no real way to do them without some kind of rule change or powerboost.

Perhaps during the next pass of Sozin's Comet, or if someone has an "interesting" mutation. Wink
You will fear the day when Firebenders learn about the electromagnetic spectrum and that they get their powers directly from the source! Energy weapons over everything.
See above - this seems more the realm of special abilities.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015 11:21 pm by Freedom153 » Logged

Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #273 on: Dec 03, 2015 01:44 am »

Woodbending is the master race.

Aside from it, water is the best imo

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Polaris
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I've waited 13 years...

« Reply #274 on: Dec 03, 2015 06:01 am »

Woodbending is the master race.

Woodbending was wiped out by the Firelord before Sozin.

I do not know for sure. I do know however that metalbenders can quickly improvise more armor/covering, beyond what I showed Toph doing:
You are correct, they can merge metals together  Cry

Toph then fuses them back together after.

During Sozin's Comet, even Avatar State firebending by Aang was not pure white fire, nor was Azula's fire pure white fire, his mainly consisting of red and yellow, with white present but not dominant, and Azula's blue and white flame stronger, but not melt metal levels. White fire, like what comes out of an ICBM or space rocket, or flame the temperature of an oxyacetylene torch or of a plasma saw, is what would be required to effectively and quickly cut through metal. You can't take out a modern tank with a flamethrower, after all, and I'd say most firebending is closer to a flamethrower than rocket engine fire.
I was thinking that they could generate lightning in the same manner as a plasma saw, lightning can reach 53,540 degrees Fahrenheit and maybe with special equipment like electric blowtorch gloves, they would have plasma claws. Convert the electricity produced into a hotter plasma.

The Colossus was platinum - unbendable by anyone. With a non-platinum suit, the suit's user could deform the metal outward with increasingly large hand movements, picking apart their ice prison from the inside like an icebreaker ship forges paths into Artic sea ice.
Hm, hm. Good point. What if that waterbender has already flung them skyhigh by the time they finish picking all of the ice?

I'm aware of the technique. However, given waterbenders need either a full moon or special ability to manipulate water within another animal, I'd have to imagine a similar restriction would apply to stealing someone's heat. Just like plasmabending or white fire, there's no real way to do them without some kind of rule change or powerboost.
Yeah but if you could do that to a volcano thats erupting, I see no reason why they couldn't do it to humans, afterall Zaheer the rookie redirected the air out of one's body easily. Nothing is stopping them from freezing the air around the target Grin

Firebenders would be capable of flight just like airbenders, if they wore GLIDING SUITS! You don't need to be an airbender to glide, they just bend the air to do more than glide. But if a firebender slapped on a suit he would be able to boost himself high distances on his own then let the suit do the rest, and have a powerful speed boost.

They can all ready maneuver themselves very well without accessories and there would be no need for a burning comet for everyone to enjoy flying.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: