Aug 21, 2017 03:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The most powerful bending element?  (Read 83853 times)
avick123
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: May 05, 2012 08:03 pm »

What element do you believe is that most powerful in the Avatar universe?
Consider what has been shown in both Last Airbender and Korra; also use your imagination.

My opinion is that earth bending is most powerful because it is the sturdiest bendable element in the avatar universe (along with its variation: metal) and can potentially do more severe damage than the other elements. I don't think the show fairly represented earth because it seems to me that earth bending was never shown in its full potential. Earth benders never bent the amount of their element that the other types of benders were able to bend. Water benders summoned enormous waves while earth benders were reduced to throwing modest sized rocks. If we balanced the of mass that a water bender bends with the mass that a earth bender bends, most earth bender attacks would be kill on sight.

EDIT:
Try to use your imaginations beyond what is seen in the show. Obviously the show only displays each element in a balanced manner. I asking this question for you to consider the full fighting potential of each element.

In order for comparison to be fair, only compare element bending in context of equal energy output. What I mean is: recall that in ATLA aang was introduced to energy bending, the most primitive form of bending. Now take this idea of bending "energy" and apply it to the other elements. Water, Air, and Fire are, from a physical standpoint, simply the movement of molecules. This requires kinetic energy. Fire is release of heat which is an increase in thermal energy. Now there is not need to get mathematical in detail but keep these measurements in mind when imagining each element used to its full potential.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012 10:37 pm by avick123 » Logged
mattacular2001
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012 03:59 am »

How has nobody responded to this yet??

I think that it would have to be either air or fire. After the last few episodes of ATLA, we know what fire bending can do. It's incredible. The reason that I throw air bending out there too is because both air and fire bending can be casted out of thin air. I've always kind of wondered why water bending wasn't the same way.

But earth bending is definitely POWERFUL. Then again, bloodbending is fatal and icebending, which I think is extremely underrated and underutilized, could be a force to recon with.
Blanka
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012 05:08 am »

There isn't one. They're balanced. /Thread

Plus man can create fire. Man can not create water.
mattacular2001
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012 05:15 am »

There isn't one. They're balanced. /Thread

Plus man can create fire. Man can not create water.

Man creates fire from things that are around him. He can produce water the same way. And how is that related to actually bending them?
Blanka
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012 06:57 am »

No he can't. Fire is not a physical element. Its energy, and energy is merely transferred and changes form. The energy within the body turns into outward energy which is fire. The first series makes this clear. Scientists themselves can't create water in this day. We can create fire from multiple sources. We only get water from one source: Water. You can't create water.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012 06:59 am by Blanka » Logged
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012 10:45 am »

They are all in balance with each other. Yeah Firebenders can create fire, but the elements are all still in balance. Any master could defeat any other master given the right circumstances.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Numb
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012 11:34 am »

They all have their strong points and their weak points, just like the marital arts they are based off of.

MrBaconsock
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012 12:36 pm »

Each element has its own strengths and weaknesses... BUT FIRE IS THE BEST!!

Seriously, I think they're all pretty much balanced when it comes down to masters fighting each other.
I will say though that fire is probably the most naturally offensive and dangerous element of the four.
Solis
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012 03:10 pm »

Air...obviously.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012 03:29 pm »

Yeah, I'd say Air. There is so much more you can do with it in comparison to the other elements. Heck, if one masters it well enough, then he/she could potentially borderline bend the other elements as well.
Sandbending is Earthbending. But what is to stop an Airbender from manipulating the soft substance?
Steambending is pretty much waterbending but can be firebending as well. Air can take advantage of steam to.
With the right concentration, airbending can firebend. It would just be more difficult.
If one can grasp enough powerful air currents, one can bend heavier elements like water and earth.
Airbending can take all shapes and sizes. It can be thin like a blade but also large like soft sphere. It can be visible and invisible.
It can be the force. Tongue
It can be harmful and nonharmful.
It can be warm or cool.
It can be both^.
This is starting to sound like a really bad poem.

So yeah, Airbending is best. And if it's spiritual, then that is just another perk.
Solis
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012 04:03 pm »

I Agree with Avatar_Mom, well said. Lets not forget...
Air is the element of life.
austyn12090
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012 04:12 pm »

Air also grants super speed... Aang could have probably beat Korra who knows the other 3 elements, if he was just using his airbending.

Darkness Unleashed: Contacting Raava
A fic where I convince you that Mako will be the Dark Avatar.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9794152/1/Darkness-Unleashed-Contacting-Raava
Atticus
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012 05:22 pm »

Airbending is mostly defensive movements (hence the circle walking) but when used for offensive purposes it can be devastating. Even on the level of firebending  Air-element of freedom

Firebending is almost purely offensive movements. sacrificing defense for more power.  require lots of energy to be used in short bursts. Fire-element of power

Earthbending is unique in its use of strong powerful movements. Earthbending's pro is that it has a unique balance of offense and Defense. 

Waterbending-the pro of waterbending is that it it literally is the element of change. You take your defense and turn it into your offense. or u use ur oppenents offense against them. It all deals with the flow of energy.

All of the elements are extremely powerful when used right. If you are talking purely what element has the most power behind it? prob Fire, but Air is not far behind. However i would say Fire also has the most cons behind it because it lacks any defensive movements

Aang, Iroh, Mako, and Lin FTW!
Numb
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012 05:49 pm »

If i had to choose one i would say Earthbending, for no other reason than with it you you can bend metal.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012 05:53 pm by Numb » Logged

howulikedemrice
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"No Atomo"

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012 05:58 pm »

If the conditions were optimal for all four elements: full moon, sun in the sky, earth everywhere, high winds

It'd have to be water for me. No other bending element offers the ability to control someone else. Although to complicate matters, if all these elements derived from a benders life energy, then the optimal condition is when all 4 are able to bend each others energies...

It's a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock relationship. They can all beat each other and be beaten. But when each element is at their peak, it's water i think. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

In a one on one duel between each element, bloodbending trumps them all. What good is their technique when bloodbending foils that factor?
LeafInTheWind
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My polarbeardog's smarter than your honour student

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012 06:02 pm »

They all have their strong points and their weak points, just like the marital arts they are based off of.

BUT FIRE IS THE BEST!  Cheesy

edit: Ninja'd XD
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012 07:03 pm »

If the conditions were optimal for all four elements: full moon, sun in the sky, earth everywhere, high winds

It'd have to be water for me. No other bending element offers the ability to control someone else. Although to complicate matters, if all these elements derived from a benders life energy, then the optimal condition is when all 4 are able to bend each others energies...

It's a rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock relationship. They can all beat each other and be beaten. But when each element is at their peak, it's water i think. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

In a one on one duel between each element, bloodbending trumps them all. What good is their technique when bloodbending foils that factor?
There is one thing that can trump bloodbending. And that is.........planting an airbomb.
Why Control your enemies when you can just blow them up like a balloon and then......POP! they're dead?
Like I said, you can do ANYTHING with airbending. The other elements have their limits. Air has no limit unless you're in space.
And no, waterbending is not the only element that can control someone. People are full of air because they need it. Airbending can tap into that just as easily instead of trying to control unseen blood vessels.
Use air currents to puppeteer from the outside but also use air from the individual's breathing to decide if they can continue breathing or not. There is also stopping the heart.
If an airbender was scientific, I can see them separating oxygen and CO2. But that is too advanced.

Again, I say airbending trumps all.
LeafInTheWind
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My polarbeardog's smarter than your honour student

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012 07:07 pm »

There is one thing that can trump bloodbending. And that is.........planting an airbomb.
Why Control your enemies when you can just blow them up like a balloon and then......POP! they're dead?
Like I said, you can do ANYTHING with airbending. The other elements have their limits. Air has no limit unless you're in space.
And no, waterbending is not the only element that can control someone. People are full of air because they need it. Airbending can tap into that just as easily instead of trying to control unseen blood vessels.
Use air currents to puppeteer from the outside but also use air from the individual's breathing to decide if they can continue breathing or not. There is also stopping the heart.
If an airbender was scientific, I can see them separating oxygen and CO2. But that is too advanced.

Again, I say airbending trumps all.
To be fair, we've not seen in-show whether or not airbending actually has the potential to manipulate one's being in the manner you've described.
Trojanx11
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012 07:23 pm »

Best thing going for airbending: Its invisible. However, my personal favorite is earth bending because it has more application and more flexible fighting because of the limitless ways it could be used in fighting. Definitively the most flexible fighting style with the most inflexible element.

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012 10:06 pm »

They are all equal.

But if I had to choose one? I have to go with Airbending.

I'm not undervaluing the destructive power of the other three bending arts. Firebending is particularly destructive. But Airbending's raw destructive power is nearly unfathomable. The only way to truly deprive them of their ability to bend (Airbenders will always find an alternative path) is in deep space. And even that's a longshot.

I shudder to think of a rogue Airbending master. Someone with near-superhuman speed and agility whose attacks are invisible and widely destructive?

You saw how Aang blew Zuko to kingdom come on Ember Island in "The Phoenix King" episode without even breaking a sweat. Imagine if he actually wanted to hurt Zuko.

No wonder the monks were so adamant about non-violence.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Solis
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012 01:08 am »

Air is the element of freedom. As Iroh said.
However I am pretty sure air is the element of life... as well.
No fire bending if there is no air...and no life for that matter.
Twilight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012 01:49 am »

There is no "best" element. It depends on the bender. Same with any other weapon. A sword is useless on it's own, but in the hands of a person it's deadly.

and the award for worst username in retrospect goes to...
Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012 03:07 am »

Water. Becouse after every physical showdown  you would gleefully trade all combat skills for one healer.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012 03:47 am by Eire » Logged

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
austyn12090
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012 03:34 am »

Water is has a disadvantage against other elements, because of how situational it is. I believe that a waterbender could win against any other element if it was raining, or on the full moon if the waterbender knew how to bloodbend. But if we are judging their power by what they can do at their strongest then we could easily say that firebenders would win because Sozin's comet gives them an insane amount of power. So what factors in to a water bender's power?

1. The arena:
This is the most important part of a battle involving a waterbender. They have a clear advantage in an area that's surrounded by water or is covered in snow. But what's less thought of is that a master of all 3 styles of waterbending will also have an advantage in a forested area where they can control plant life, or draw moisture from it. Even in a city they might be able to find a fountain, or something that they can draw water from. The point is that the only place you can fight a waterbending master where they are at a complete disadvantage is a desert, and even then you shouldn't be suprised when they throw a cactus at you.

2. Weather:
Another variable about water bending is the weather. If it's night then they have an advantage (1/2), if it's raining or snowing they have an infinite supply of water surrounding their opponent (1/20?), and if it's a full moon they can bloodbend (1/28). And I would be willing to bet that if it's cloudy then they could even make it rain for them. While the 2 "instant win" advantages aren't likely, if you combine them with everything else, then statistically waterbenders are very likely to have some type of advantage.

Another thing to note is that a waterbender is never without a pouch of water, so even in the worst situations they will have a way of fighting back. And if they escape a battle where both people had injuries, then waterbenders can still heal their own wounds so they can be ready for a second round, while the other bender is still wounded.

My judgement on water however is that it's still too circumstantial to be considered the most powerful element, but uner those circumstances it trumps all the others.

My vote remains air.

Darkness Unleashed: Contacting Raava
A fic where I convince you that Mako will be the Dark Avatar.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9794152/1/Darkness-Unleashed-Contacting-Raava
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012 04:08 am »

Earth benders never bent the amount of their element that the other types of benders were able to bend. Water benders summoned enormous waves while earth benders were reduced to throwing modest sized rocks. If we balanced the of mass that a water bender bends with the mass that a earth bender bends, most earth bender attacks would be kill on sight.

Technically and scientifically speaking, the mass in a lot of water would be literally equivalent to substantially smaller amounts of earth. Think density.

Your poor wording aside, this is somewhat true. Bumi was seen lifting and toppling a huge statue of Ozai in Omashu. Toph "bent" a huge building of stone (Wan Shi Tong's Library). You might be interested in the thread that compares Toph and Bumi. http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14510.0 Why no other benders displayed anywhere near this amount of sheer strength, I have no idea. Chalk it up to being prodigies, I suppose.

Sandbending is Earthbending. But what is to stop an Airbender from manipulating the soft substance?

Um, gee, I don't know, the fact that it's not air?

You can blow a bunch of dust at someone. Doesn't mean you're controlling the dust itself.

It [airbending] can be warm or cool.

No, we have no canonical evidence that airbenders can manipulate temperatures. That is purely the domain of waterbenders and firebenders. (though I do wonder if firebenders can actually chill things by funneling away heat, as Sozin did with the volcano, and waterbenders can warm things up with steam.)

Airbending's raw destructive power is nearly unfathomable. . . .

I shudder to think of a rogue Airbending master. Someone with near-superhuman speed and agility whose attacks are invisible and widely destructive?

You saw how Aang blew Zuko to kingdom come on Ember Island in "The Phoenix King" episode without even breaking a sweat. Imagine if he actually wanted to hurt Zuko.

No wonder the monks were so adamant about non-violence.

^ THIS. Also, like earthbending, airbending has no "weak times" like the other two bending arts, but unlike earthbending, it can never be taken away. (wood, out at sea, etc.)

The point is that the only place you can fight a waterbending master where they are at a complete disadvantage is a desert, and even then you shouldn't be suprised when they throw a cactus at you.

Oh Spirits, I lol'd so hard.

(I got an image of Katara drinking cactus juice and bending the cactus at Sokka because she was peeved at him, or something.)

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: