Oct 25, 2014 02:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TLOK Shipping Thread - Part 2 (keep your scarf untwisted!)  (Read 528984 times)
neverXbroken
Untethered

« Reply #3400 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:37 pm »

^He doesn't deserve to be with Asami. Tongue

He dserves to be alone and needs to think about what he's doing.

Lavanya Six
Untethered

« Reply #3401 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:38 pm »

I agree that the Airkids (AND PABU!) are adorable and wonderful characters. The only difference is that the airkids are definitely side characters that are just meant to pop in and out of the show, while Mako and Bolin are definitely meant to be main characters (And Asami might be. She wasn't on the Nick Site to the same degree Mako, Bolin, Korra, Lin, and Tenzin were, but she seems to be a part of the Krew so who knows with her.), but they are written with the depth of side characters. As for Mako... someone on a different site summed it up for me:

Quote from: foodsthatcan

Basically, it feels like Mako is supposed to be carrying the emotional weight of most of the Romance plot, but he lacks the depth or sincerity as a character to make said plot interesting. He has a personality that's passable for a side character, but he's in a main character slot and it just isn't working. Considering how far into the plot things are, no, its not a matter of impatience to not enjoy how obnoxious this plot and some of these characters are at this point. Its an observation on bad writing.

I'm not sure if Bryke were trying to sell Mako as an inscrutable romantic lead with inner conflict. If anything, he's been the opposite of inscrutable, being very upfront with his feelings... in a "clumsy with other people's heart" sort of way.

Mako is all over the place. Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't deserve Korra anymore?

I'm kind of weirded out by the paternalistic vibe in Mako's two romances. Asami was all like "I feel safe with you" in the beginning, and Mako basically tucked Korra into bed at the end of Episode 9. Unless something changes, that doesn't feel like it jives with Korra's character as seen thus far on the show.
Rava
Untethered

♪ CANON! ♪ TyZula ♬ Korrami ♫ Linami ♫ Jumai ♪

« Reply #3402 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:43 pm »

Just saw the new episode, and it was a sad day for my ships. Not only did the SS BORRA take some significant hits, but even more disappointingly the SS Tarrzula is officially sunk. Azula won't want him without bending Sad
I may not recover from this

But.... maybe she changed a lot. Or lost her bending when she was time-bending and she was the first Amon stole bending abilities from?

But at least he could not take away her time traveling skills!

[/HEADCANON]

Mako is all over the place. Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't deserve Korra anymore?

After he kissed her back in that one shipping chapter lots of folks said he no longer deserved korra. Or even: they both have been jerks by doing so, they should have each other but the fan no longer cares about that ship.

Well yes indeed, shipping seems SRS BSN to some. Why you ask?  Tongue Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin Grin

I'm slowly becoming a Borra fan. Partially because I feel like he should get the girl, cuz he's a nice guy, and he deserves to be happy. Though before that happens, I'd like to see him confront some kind of feelings other than say, hunger. Bolin, you're too 2D for my tastes at the moment.

Both mako and Bo Lin are the most 2D of the main crew, and by main krew I mean aside from Korra and Asami also Tenzin and Lin. xD

I'm not sure if Bryke were trying to sell Mako as an inscrutable romantic lead with inner conflict. If anything, he's been the opposite of inscrutable, being very upfront with his feelings... in a "clumsy with other people's heart" sort of way.
[..]
I'm kind of weirded out by the paternalistic vibe in Mako's two romances. Asami was all like "I feel safe with you" in the beginning, and Mako basically tucked Korra into bed at the end of Episode 9. Unless something changes, that doesn't feel like it jives with Korra's character as seen thus far on the show.

I fully agree, he seems to be the worst enemy of any Mako/WHOMEVER ship. xD

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
fireywaters
Untethered

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #3403 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:44 pm »

Yeah Mako is making me like Jet more and more, and that is not easy.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2012 10:47 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
RuonJian
Untethered

Icon by jadeite-icons

« Reply #3404 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:45 pm »

wOW, you do? Mako, well developed? Then please tell us, cause his affection for Korra in Chapter 5 came out of nothing, like "there, we now made it canon he has feelings for her, we just never let yopu folks see a glimpse of that the 3 1/2 chapters prior"...

Like I said... I can see it both ways? He is getting development in some ways, but it is primarily springing from his romantic arc, which is rather problematic, or at least I can see why people would feel it's problematic. For my specific take on his sudden!feelings for Korra though, feel free to take a glance back at my Makorra essay.

I thought so, cause when I ponderd about you, your screen name and gender and that quote being genius, the webcomic "Girl Genius" came to my mind, so to make that all well rounded and perfect you just HAD to be a girl! Wheeeeee!

haha I really like Girl Genius! that reminds me I need to catch up Smiley

Also, did someone say cracky fanart?

and of course this ridiculousness:

http://hyouta.tumblr.com/post/24757531203/so-has-this-been-done-yet-or

The only Amorra I can ship is cracky-parody-Amorra.

I keep Korra's pout and Lin Beifong's stylish trench coat.
Lavanya Six
Untethered

« Reply #3405 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:50 pm »

and of course this ridiculousness:

Dats a lot of smoldering der.

Re: your Makkora essay -- In light of that essay, it's interesting to see how Mako's affection for Korra explodes the instant he knows she's in danger. Together with that "tucking in" scene at the episode's end, it seems her kidnapping scratched all his special spots.
Mercedes427
Untethered

« Reply #3406 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:51 pm »

I'm surprised almost no one has mentioned AMORRA!!? lol the scene where they gaze at each was the best scene of the whole episode hehe XD I mean just the way amon suddenly appeared there in front of Tarrlok was AWESOME!!!!  Kiss   Grin
I LOVED IT!!
Anyway, to be honest I never liked Makorra that much and this episode just made me really hope they don't end up together why? because there has been almost no backstory to how they suddenly liked each other, they seem more like good friends to me, feels unnatural to me how  the "oh korra where are you?" moments happened and it's just not fair that he's two-timing sorry  Sad they'll probably end up together and like someone said before i'll probably be like  Huh  Undecided ok i guess..... BUT I'm on AMORRA's side until the end !!  Wink  Grin

Dont you worry I am too:D!! i mean i do like makorra, but if I could have my way with the show, it would be Amorra for sure! and i swear when tarrlok walked upstairs and saw amon there, i screamed with excitement?/fear? something! Amon is incredible, he cant even be stopped with bloodbending...just fascinating. and dont even get me started on the stare between them...i was nearly sent into a spiraling fangirl screaming fit the first time i saw it lol  
Rava
Untethered

♪ CANON! ♪ TyZula ♬ Korrami ♫ Linami ♫ Jumai ♪

« Reply #3407 on: Jun 09, 2012 10:57 pm »

RuonJian, need reading your essay. After I made some green tea and müsli. Already 6 a.m. here. xD

-Masami. Despite the great big holes blown in the ship with 109 it can still be salvaged if the writers REALLY wanted to. Asami will most likely be confronting Mako very soon about his relationship with Korra and from there it can end with Mako realizing he's being unfair and has to firmly put his feelings for Korra aside (though that hasn't been working out since 105) and reaffirm that Asami is who he truly wants to stay with or it can end with a break up. With all the emphasis put on Makorra, especially lately, I'm leaning towards them breaking up even though I think Mako does have genuine feelings for Asami. As I said in another thread, " Masami's sinking fast but I really hope however they're officially broken up, it's done right and lets Asami keep her dignity . I would HATE it if she did the whole "I want you to be happy so I'm setting you free" thing. I want her to realize that she deserves better and if she is "Setting him free" it's ONLY because she wants him to be able to man up and make a decision, either to stay with her or pursue Korra, instead of her pushing him towards Korra." or maybe Asami and Korra will realize that Mako's not worth the effort and get together or just be BFFs. I could live with that

Why  do you strikethrough the best part of that paragraph?

Asami indeed would be able to be the one BFF who could help Korra a lot. As we have seen in the earlier chapters, especially her "I thibk we are meant to be" speech, she has not a lot of intergender experience, romantic wise. Asami might not that much of that, too, but she is a city girl, and well educated. And she not wants to unnecesarrily hurt others (unless these folks need their scummy butts kicked, then she oh so will do that. Wheeee!)
So, seen from that, Asami and Korra make the bestest of buddies in all of TLOK.

(Mako can be on his own, or being pestered by the air girls, and Bo Lin trains with Lin)

Me, too. Same with Tarrlok/Korra. What is the main ship name for that again?

reminds me, this thread needs the same "official" ship name post that SMBH made for ATLA back in the golden days of old... xD

Someone should make an AMV out of that, just these 2 scenes, just altered  in speed to fit the music.... WIN I say!

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Boilinfangirl
Untethered

« Reply #3408 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:21 pm »

More people who feel Mako should be alone and Korra deserves better,

I'm slowly becoming a Borra fan. Partially because I feel like he should get the girl, cuz he's a nice guy, and he deserves to be happy. Though before that happens, I'd like to see him confront some kind of feelings other than say, hunger. Bolin, you're too 2D for my tastes at the moment.

Meh, I agree with whoever said about Mako being more 2D and yes he really should be alone till he figures things out with himself, both Korra and Asami should say no to him.

Banner made by guitarfreak, thank you your the best!
Big Bolin fan already yesXD
Will ship him wit
RuonJian
Untethered

Icon by jadeite-icons

« Reply #3409 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm »

Re: your Makkora essay -- In light of that essay, it's interesting to see how Mako's affection for Korra explodes the instant he knows she's in danger. Together with that "tucking in" scene at the episode's end, it seems her kidnapping scratched all his special spots.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. And I wrote that essay before 107 or 108, so I wasn't at all surprised or confused by their dynamic in this episode.

Me, too. Same with Tarrlok/Korra. What is the main ship name for that again?

Korrlok I think? Now I have to find some cracky Korrlok to post, preferably with Tarrlok as Gaston. Hmm... how's this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsFpcTyA3g

Haha good point, not sure how long they were on ATI. But I will say that Mako, while cool and calculating in SOME ways, has hardly proven himself to be rational when making emotional calls.

Working off this, how far do you think he would of gone to get Korra back?

What I'm getting around to is, how badly would he have hurt the equalist jail keeper to get infomation? I get the feeling he wasn't hoping he would be intimidated, he would do whatever he could to the guy to get him to talk.

Somehow missed this earlier sorry!

But yeah you have a very good point. I can see it both ways. Mako isn't a particularly righteous person, and I can definitely see him willing to do "whatever it takes" if he felt like his loved ones were in danger. On the other hand, I'm not sure how capable of torture he would be, despite his willingness. He just doesn't have a lot of experience, at least not from what we know about him. Being able to torture someone takes a fair amount of practice/desensitization imo. I think the darkness is there in Mako's character, but he'd have to work himself up to it.

UnownLegend
Untethered

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #3410 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:29 pm »

you guys we're too on topic! we need more awesome funny pics! its for that very reason that this is the best thread in the entire forum!

Alec
Untethered

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

« Reply #3411 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:32 pm »

Okay then.

On a scale of one to ten is this the best thing you've ever seen or simply just the most amazing thing you've ever seen?
Boilinfangirl
Untethered

« Reply #3412 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:33 pm »

you guys we're too on topic! we need more awesome funny pics! its for that very reason that this is the best thread in the entire forum!

We are on topic though, we are just discussing what happened in todays episode and whether or not Mako should be with Korra or notXD
I myself say no, he should stay single for an entire season to figure things out.

Will ship him wit
RubberBandMan
Untethered

« Reply #3413 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:39 pm »

On the other hand, I'm not sure how capable of torture he would be, despite his willingness. He just doesn't have a lot of experience, at least not from what we know about him. Being able to torture someone takes a fair amount of practice/desensitization imo. I think the darkness is there in Mako's character, but he'd have to work himself up to it.

Well, as you pointed out, he makes choices based on emotions more then he pretends to. Most arguments for torture tend to be based on emotional pleas, 'doesn't he deserve it for being evil' or 'aren't you willing to do it for those you love' and 'how would you feel if you could of, but didn't and had something bad happen?'.

It would be all too easy for Mako to go with any of those in the heat of the chase. Back in episode 3, he may not of liked the fact he worked for the triads, but he felt it was the 'right' thing for him to do. He did what he HAD to do, and seemed upset that Korra might give him trouble over it, rather then anything he did while working for the triads.

Also, Super tunnel vision (While choosing which tunnel to go down, naturally.) Asami brings up a good point, is worried, and Mako doesn't even blink. She goes from Ally/girlfriend to a detractor, and Mako doesn't even care that he may of hurt her. If things were more normal, Mako would of jumped on how she was feeling and comforted her.

I'm gonna snap!
Antiyonder
Untethered

« Reply #3414 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:53 pm »

And like I've said several during several posts today, there's still 3 episodes for Mako to turn thing around.  Now if he passes up those episodes to make things right, then I'd be more inclined to believe that he shouldn't end up with Korra, Asami or anyone.

It's not for Mako to turn things round but for the writers. They could have added hints and small details from Chapter 2 onwards, but not cared.

I still think that the wait and see is a valid choice nonetheless.

Take Asami for example.  Many viewers weren't expecting to like her, or feel for her well, feeling rejected.  So whatever missteps Bryke took (I'm not denying that their handling of the triangle is devoid of mistakes), you can't say that their work is lacking in surprise.

Regardless, I'm not evening stating or implying that my speculation will prove true (I freely admit in fact that I've made guesses for other ships that proved untrue).  I'm just saying that with several chapters left, there's room for him to end up with either girl or no one at all.
Merdok1993
Untethered

Kataang&Makorra!

« Reply #3415 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:54 pm »

Again raaaaandom, but...

Katara- "I don't know, Aang. We're in the middle of a war, we have other things to worry about. This isn't the right time. I'm sorry, but right now I'm just a little confuse- KISS"

Mako- I don't know, things are complicated, I'm feeling really confused- KISS"

I know this was probably already discussed, but there's no way I'm going through all of those to see. Avatars are pretty persistent Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm by Fruitloopzbabi66 » Logged

Meredith!
Kataang&Makorra
Thanks for the set, Britney!
Long time site moderator of Dongbufeng
lycropath
Untethered

« Reply #3416 on: Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm »

Again raaaaandom, but...

Katara- "I don't know, Aang. We're in the middle of a war, we have other things to worry about. This isn't the right time. I'm sorry, but right now I'm just a little confuse- KISS"

Mako- I don't know, things are complicated, I'm feeling really confused- KISS"

I know this was probably already discussed, but there's no way I'm going through all of those to see. Avatars are pretty persistent Wink

Its the earthbender in them.

munchydino12
Untethered

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #3417 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:08 am »

If the relationships aren't resolved by the finale, bryke can always pull a Young Justice and skip 5 years into the future where everything is as it should be with new characters.

RuonJian
Untethered

Icon by jadeite-icons

« Reply #3418 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:11 am »

On the other hand, I'm not sure how capable of torture he would be, despite his willingness. He just doesn't have a lot of experience, at least not from what we know about him. Being able to torture someone takes a fair amount of practice/desensitization imo. I think the darkness is there in Mako's character, but he'd have to work himself up to it.

Well, as you pointed out, he makes choices based on emotions more then he pretends to. Most arguments for torture tend to be based on emotional pleas, 'doesn't he deserve it for being evil' or 'aren't you willing to do it for those you love' and 'how would you feel if you could of, but didn't and had something bad happen?'.

It would be all too easy for Mako to go with any of those in the heat of the chase. Back in episode 3, he may not of liked the fact he worked for the triads, but he felt it was the 'right' thing for him to do. He did what he HAD to do, and seemed upset that Korra might give him trouble over it, rather then anything he did while working for the triads.

Also, Super tunnel vision (While choosing which tunnel to go down, naturally.) Asami brings up a good point, is worried, and Mako doesn't even blink. She goes from Ally/girlfriend to a detractor, and Mako doesn't even care that he may of hurt her. If things were more normal, Mako would of jumped on how she was feeling and comforted her.

I pretty much agree with everything you just said. Mako definitely has the character to go that far.

My point was to question whether he would be physically capable of torture. I think most torturers are either a bit psychopathic or trained to be torturers because a.) you have to know how to put someone through excrutiating pain without killing them and b.) you have to be de-sensitized to that pain and be personally willing to witness it; which is something that takes practice. I think it's actually much easier to kill someone in the heat of the moment than it is to torture them. wow this getting a bit dark.

Boilinfangirl
Untethered

« Reply #3419 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:13 am »

If the relationships aren't resolved by the finale, bryke can always pull a Young Justice and skip 5 years into the future where everything is as it should be with new characters.

Do not want!! A One Year Time Skip I'd be fine with. I for seee, Mako getting dumped again by Korra for being a cheat.

Will ship him wit
SMBH
ASN Management
Untethered

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #3420 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:16 am »

For example, someone posted gifs of the "You're safe now" Makorra scene, and also the "Where is she!?" scene with the Equalist and threatening with firebending. When I saw those scenes for the first time today, my immediate thoughts were "Wait wait wait, time out, hold up. Someone please tell me what in their past interactions makes it any kind of believable that this is how Mako reacts to Korra going missing?"

I'd just like to point out that there's a small precedent of Mako reacting emotionally to Korra being in danger:

He's not going all-out or anything that one time, but he did let himself get a bit emotional with the running and the hugging and the "You're safe!" or whatever it was that he said.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
munchydino12
Untethered

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #3421 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:23 am »

Has anyone ever noticed that line Mako always repeats when there's a Makorra moment?

"I was SO WORRIED!"

Stop being a drama queen, Mako lol

Amina
Untethered

« Reply #3422 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:30 am »

Bolin's getting to be a big boy now. He's got to find another outlet for his mother hen tendencies.  Tongue

Still, there was just that one instance in ep. 6 which was easy enough to write off as a one time oddity. This last episode was a little too much to say he was comfortably in character, IMO. It's also a bit jarring when you realize that he wasn't this desperate when his own brother was kidnapped.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012 12:32 am by Amina » Logged
SMBH
ASN Management
Untethered

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #3423 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:36 am »

Still, there was just that one instance in ep. 6 which was easy enough to write off as a one time oddity.

Oh I know that the thing in episode 6 does look like a one-time thing. But still, it serves as a small precedent for Mako's "you're safe!" reaction. In episode 6 she really was safe. In episode 9, she had been in real danger, so it makes sense that the reaction would be stronger (especially after that sort of epiphany he apparently had when Lin informed them that Amon had kidnapped Korra).

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Mr Grieves
Board Moderator
Untethered

« Reply #3424 on: Jun 10, 2012 12:37 am »

Bolin's getting to be a big boy now. He's got to find another outlet for his mother hen tendencies.  Tongue

Pabu?
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: