Nov 19, 2019 09:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 49 (20.3%)
9 - 41 (17%)
8 - 64 (26.6%)
7 - 36 (14.9%)
6 - 18 (7.5%)
5 - 11 (4.6%)
4 - 8 (3.3%)
3 - 4 (1.7%)
2 - 2 (0.8%)
1 - 8 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 241

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [105] The Spirit of Competition  (Read 76736 times)
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #1125 on: May 11, 2012 01:17 pm »

^I'm well aware. *emoticon appropriate for situation*  We all appreciate it nonetheless. 

TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #1126 on: May 11, 2012 01:45 pm »

^^ oh come on. We ALL know that your life is devoted to avatar screenshots, and you wouldn't have it any other why. Grin

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #1127 on: May 11, 2012 09:31 pm »

Thanks you Smiley I was waiting for them Smiley
And I absolutely LOVED this scene Tongue

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #1128 on: May 11, 2012 09:54 pm »

Yeah they did kind of mess up Bolin reaction to Korra and Mako's kiss. They made it too comedic, just because he is a comic relief character, you can't have a serious moment. In the old series, Sokka was mister comic relief, but Sokka had his serious moments. When he told Zuko the story of how his mom was murdered, losing Yue, etc. Even Ty Lee who was the comic relief of the villains, she had her serious moments, "I know you" comment to Zuko.

Come on, not everything about Bolin has to be a laugh a minute.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #1129 on: May 11, 2012 09:58 pm »

^ I don't think they did that specifically to make Bolin look like a clown; they did that to diffuse the otherwise very tense situation that might have happened between the brothers at that moment. I thought Bolin was pretty bad ass in this episode, he not only asked Korra out straight, not only did he show her a real good time and treated her like a princess; he also kicked some serious pro bending ass. If that does not makes Bolin not look like a clown or "laugh a minute" type of guy, I don't know what will.

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
Roa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I wish I had some noodles, too bad they bend...

« Reply #1130 on: May 11, 2012 10:29 pm »

^^Also the funny part about Sokka was that he was always trying to be serious. Sure he made jokes, but I think about the Fortuneteller episode. He was try to be serious the whole time, but he kept messing things up, not being taken seriously, or get physically injured.
The difference with Bolin is that he doesn't try to be serious. He's laid back and pretty easy-going, he leaves serious to his brother most of the time, but when he does try for serious he tends to exaggerate or be overly creative. Which is why he is funny, cause his form of serious thinking is more whimsical and creative. When he gets emotional, he gets a bit dramatic cause he feel so fully and completely. When he is passionate, he is passionate. When he is sad, you will know. When he is happy, he'll let you know up front.
Which something Mako doesn't do. He isn't completely closed off, but he doesn't fully express himself like Bolin does. When he shows all his emotions on his sleeves. It is interesting because he can never fully pulls off the "Cool guy" mask, where he is always cool, calm and collected. It slips, especially when dealing with his brother, money, Korra, and now Asami. To others he is frosty and brooding, classic "cool silent guy", with the whole "Nah, I can handle this" and being calm under pressure. Seriously this episode showed that mask cracking over and over and over again as Mako dealt with the emotional rollercoaster.
Which is why I'm totally fine with episode.

MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1131 on: May 12, 2012 04:18 pm »

I started watching this episode and stopped after a couple minutes because ugh, ship teasing. Had to buck up later to watch it. It...wasn't as bad as it could have been, I guess. Not a fan of Makorra and especially not a fan of Borra. I'm sort of hoping that this will put some closure on the Borra thing and just let it drop. I won't be that lucky, though.

I was going to talk about Mako and Bolin's relationship but I can't make words really well right now, so maybe I'll come back to it later.

Good parts:

• "Don't make eye contact!"
    Korra: *Makes eye contact*
    Oh, Korra, you are incorrigible. (Or...Inkorragible?! *shot*)
  • The Rabbiroos firebender / team leader. Okay wow that face and that hair. Please be in all of the episodes.
  • Wow Tahno's voice
  • Korra being nice to Asami
  • "Please, go on, I enjoy praise." Babyyy
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #1132 on: May 12, 2012 05:40 pm »

This is probably my least favorite episode. There's no Tenzin, Amon, or Meelo. Also, the shipping wasn't that great.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #1133 on: May 13, 2012 01:53 pm »

The Rabbiroos firebender / team leader. Okay wow that face and that hair. Please be in all of the episodes.

I agree completely. I was beginning to think I was the only one. <3

Anyway, I didn't mind this episode at all. I'm glad they kept most of the shipping in this episode, satisfying the shippers and allowing the show to move on to bigger and better things. And I'm glad it ended on mature terms. How irritating would it be if the melodrama continued on for a long time. :<

Also, Bolin and his VA shined in this episode. Like the bosses they are. Cheesy

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1134 on: May 13, 2012 04:50 pm »

I tell you I could watch this episode, well at least the Makorra kiss and Bolin reaction with the Saved By The Bell studio audiance edited in.

Actully it reminds me of one specific episode when Zack and Lisa kissed, and Screch saw it. Not that Bolin is Screch, he is way cooler than that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012 04:52 pm by fireywaters » Logged

waterlilies8
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1135 on: May 13, 2012 10:54 pm »

Sorry that this review is late, but before I could review it, said episode got deleted; so I had to review it on the reshowing on Nicktoons.

I liked the snow that was softly falling outside the Pro-bending Arena. I’m a little disappointed that we didn’t get to see the Fire Ferrets teamwork building.

Bolin shouldn’t have made Korra uncomfortable.

Mako is right, even if he was being kind of a hypocrite.

I really want to know how Pema told Tenzin.

What did the Rabbi-Roo’s do to make people boo them?

Bolin said that it was kind of like a date situation, not that it was. Also, Korra most likely thought it was just that; nothing more, nothing less.

Bolin needs to not try so hard. Korra needs to listen to Bolin when he tells her not to do something. Tahno is weird.

I wonder if the Boar-Q-Pines are one of the first groups to be formed.

As overdramatic as it was, I feel bad for Bolin when he saw Mako and Korra kiss. Also, I think in one of the coming episodes, it will start with Mako and Asami coming in all mad and the other trying to tell the other that the kiss was a mistake or something.

I wonder if Bolin gets deals on the noodles at Narook’s.

Flame o’s should have publically asked for an apology about the placement of the ad.

Korra’s lucky she beat them in time. So I guess Katara’s contribution to Republic City is the medical knowledge since all Korra had to say to make Bolin trust her was that she was taught healing from her.

I liked this episode, it was fun and interesting. Although, i could do without some of the shipping. However, it needed to be mentioned. I vote this episode an eight.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012 10:58 pm by waterlilies8 » Logged
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1136 on: May 13, 2012 11:11 pm »

In hindsight Bolin should took the opportunity to console and ask out the Rabbi-Roos. That is another thing I wonder we know the Wolfbats are a - holes, but do the other teams get along civilory? We never saw any sportsmenship in these matches. No post match handsakes.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1137 on: May 14, 2012 03:01 am »

The Rabbiroos firebender / team leader. Okay wow that face and that hair. Please be in all of the episodes.

I agree completely. I was beginning to think I was the only one. <3

Its kinda interesting some of the minor characters that get crushed on in this fandom.
TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #1138 on: May 14, 2012 06:12 am »

^ Howl anyone?

Self gratz on 200 -.-"

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
RWB
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1139 on: May 14, 2012 07:04 pm »

Did everyone react as negatively to The Ember Island Players when it first came out like the way everyone is reacting to this episode? It's pretty much the same situation... you go from an emotional episode like The Southern Raiders to The Ember Island Players which was comedic but also putting Katara and Aang in an awkward position about their relationship that made you want to face palm just as much as this episode does with Korra and Mako and Bolin.

Just executed differently...

Not even close.  First off EIP was a gag-episode.  It was a joke, i.e. not meant to be taken seriously.  This episode is playing the teenage drama (at least between Korra and Mako, Bolin is pretty much lost as a 'legitimate' character) 100% straight.  It's not meant to be a joke.

And yeah, the shipping in EIP was just as bad as here.  The Bryke have no clue how to write romance, and in ATLA they seemed to understand that because they never bothered much with it till the last freaking minute.  It's pretty much the core reason shipping got so popular in the fandom, they were picking up the slack.  The difference is EIP had one brief scene.  This entire episode revolves around their terrible and tacky soap opera.

I agree with this.

I will however note that while this episode was still pretty bad(due to the romance focus), the romance itself was way better than EIP. Certainly not good, but hey, slight improvement is still slight improvement.

Romance isn't Bryke's strong suit.

"I made [my money] on the seas, and in the mines, and in the cattle wars of the old frontier! I made it by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" -Scrooge Mc Duck
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #1140 on: May 14, 2012 07:48 pm »

Personally, I think Bryke handled the romance perfectly. A little dramatic yeah, but what romance isn't honestly?

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1141 on: May 21, 2012 05:02 pm »

I really liked this episode.

I can understand why people really didn't like this episode.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #1142 on: May 21, 2012 07:03 pm »

Mike and Bryan are off their meds!  This episode was insane, in your face, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1143 on: May 22, 2012 11:22 am »

Well considering they didn't try to make Amon's attack on the Pro Bending arena a surprise, it was revealed he was planning to do that in the first scene of episode 106. I stand by my earlier suggestion to really give us a good cliffhanger at the end, especially get too confortable with the Pro Bending and the shipping plots for 29 minutes, have the last scene be Amon and the Equalist preparing to invade the Pro Bending finals. If you don't want waste Blum or the guy that voices Lt., no one needs to talks, just show them preparing with errie music.

Drunken Lemur
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1144 on: Jun 01, 2012 06:49 pm »

I agree.  Also, I have found that no matter what the product is, any light hearted episode that comes after a serious, plot-intensive episode, generates a lot of hate.  No different here.  Is it fair? No...but it happens time and time again, people want their plot, all the time.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1145 on: Jun 01, 2012 11:19 pm »

I agree.  Also, I have found that no matter what the product is, any light hearted episode that comes after a serious, plot-intensive episode, generates a lot of hate.  No different here.  Is it fair? No...but it happens time and time again, people want their plot, all the time.

Yeah but what's crazy is that those same people were complaining about the plot moving too fast and how there was no room for real character development.

Some people just can't be pleased.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #1146 on: Jun 02, 2012 09:24 am »

^ I was just thinking that. "It's too fast! No character development" An episode of character development "Where's the plot? USELESS FILLERRRR"

He's watching you...

fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1147 on: Jun 02, 2012 09:49 am »

^Like I said, it should have ended with Amon and the Equalist getting ready for their attack with erie music in the background.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1148 on: Jun 04, 2012 02:07 pm »

Yeah but what's crazy is that those same people were complaining about the plot moving too fast and how there was no room for real character development.

Or maybe we don't consider shallow gags and rushed shipping to be worthwhile character development. (I mean, seriously, how was Bolin's character advanced in any way by this episode? It was't; we learned nothing new about him, he didn't grow in any way, and he still hasn't moved on from crushing on Korra.)  Instead, one of several subplots suddenly overtook the main plot, and didn't even get a substantial resolution before getting suddenly shunted back to the back burner.

I maintain that it's not so much the pacing of the series, as the chosen fast pace is being incompetently handled.

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1149 on: Jun 04, 2012 04:03 pm »

Or maybe we don't consider shallow gags and rushed shipping to be worthwhile character development. (I mean, seriously, how was Bolin's character advanced in any way by this episode? It was't; we learned nothing new about him, he didn't grow in any way, and he still hasn't moved on from crushing on Korra.)  Instead, one of several subplots suddenly overtook the main plot, and didn't even get a substantial resolution before getting suddenly shunted back to the back burner.

I maintain that it's not so much the pacing of the series, as the chosen fast pace is being incompetently handled.

Couldn't disagree more.

Are you telling me that you didn't learn anything new about the character of Bolin? Or Korra? Or Pema? Or Mako? Or Jinora? Or Tenzin?

I think you should be more patient and open-minded. The Spirit of Competition was a character-centered breather episode in between the plot heaviness of episodes 1-4 and 6-12...

And obviously the romantic subplot hasn't been shoved onto the backburner. It was touched upon in The Aftermath and in When Extremes Meet...obviously they are focusing on the main plot for right now but who's to say that they aren't going to revisit it.

In ATLA, there were subplots that were introduced at the beginning of the series that didn't get resolved until the very end of the series.

I didn't find this episode shallow. And how could it be rushed when the shipping subplots were being introduced and developed in the previous three episodes?

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: