Apr 27, 2017 02:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 49 (20.3%)
9 - 41 (17%)
8 - 64 (26.6%)
7 - 36 (14.9%)
6 - 18 (7.5%)
5 - 11 (4.6%)
4 - 8 (3.3%)
3 - 4 (1.7%)
2 - 2 (0.8%)
1 - 8 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 241

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [105] The Spirit of Competition  (Read 52604 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1175 on: Jun 15, 2012 07:22 pm »

Eh, let them gush. Humor is subjective, and no amount of pointing out that we didn't find it all that funny will convince them of that. LOVERS GONNA HATE HATERS.

tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #1176 on: Jun 15, 2012 10:17 pm »

Hey, lovers gonna love.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
munchydino12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #1177 on: Jun 16, 2012 06:32 am »

I found it hilarious when episode 6 came along and it's almost like "Episode 5? Never heard of it". lol

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #1178 on: Jun 16, 2012 06:44 am »

Eh, let them gush. Humor is subjective, and no amount of pointing out that we didn't find it all that funny will convince them of that. LOVERS GONNA HATE HATERS.

Exactly.  Subjective views never change for the most part, and it's generally pointless to argue.

watermaster13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1179 on: Jun 16, 2012 06:27 pm »

this episode made me LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
fudgedragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1180 on: Jul 13, 2012 09:18 am »

Though now I really have a feeling Mako's going to be giving Korra mixed signals.

If Mako is officially dating Asami, he shouldn't be even considering whether Korra is girlfriend material or not. You can't have your cake and eat it too, Mako. One girl, not both.

Oh how little we knew back then Tongue.

Is it just me or did anyone else find Pema's advice to Korra about dating really bad. Such a home wrecker seriously. The way she said the advice too was just kinda annoying as if she was entitled to do such a thing XD. Was kind of awkward.
Ratava
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1181 on: Jul 13, 2012 09:28 am »

I really liked this episode.

I can understand why people really didn't like this episode.

I agree.  Also, I have found that no matter what the product is, any light hearted episode that comes after a serious, plot-intensive episode, generates a lot of hate.  No different here.  Is it fair? No...but it happens time and time again, people want their plot, all the time.

Yeah but what's crazy is that those same people were complaining about the plot moving too fast and how there was no room for real character development.

Some people just can't be pleased.

Or maybe we don't consider shallow gags and rushed shipping to be worthwhile character development. (I mean, seriously, how was Bolin's character advanced in any way by this episode? It was't; we learned nothing new about him, he didn't grow in any way, and he still hasn't moved on from crushing on Korra.)  Instead, one of several subplots suddenly overtook the main plot, and didn't even get a substantial resolution before getting suddenly shunted back to the back burner.

I maintain that it's not so much the pacing of the series, as the chosen fast pace is being incompetently handled.

Couldn't disagree more.

Are you telling me that you didn't learn anything new about the character of Bolin? Or Korra? Or Pema? Or Mako? Or Jinora? Or Tenzin?

I think you should be more patient and open-minded. The Spirit of Competition was a character-centered breather episode in between the plot heaviness of episodes 1-4 and 6-12...

And obviously the romantic subplot hasn't been shoved onto the backburner. It was touched upon in The Aftermath and in When Extremes Meet...obviously they are focusing on the main plot for right now but who's to say that they aren't going to revisit it.

In ATLA, there were subplots that were introduced at the beginning of the series that didn't get resolved until the very end of the series.

I didn't find this episode shallow. And how could it be rushed when the shipping subplots were being introduced and developed in the previous three episodes?

This was written as a 1 season show, so yeah, the subplots didn't really anywhere.

We didn't learn anything substantial about the characters, it was there for comic relief and shipping.

The shipping didn't really develop either, it was just a cliche love triangle.

Though now I really have a feeling Mako's going to be giving Korra mixed signals.

If Mako is officially dating Asami, he shouldn't be even considering whether Korra is girlfriend material or not. You can't have your cake and eat it too, Mako. One girl, not both.

Oh how little we knew back then Tongue.

Is it just me or did anyone else find Pema's advice to Korra about dating really bad. Such a home wrecker seriously. The way she said the advice too was just kinda annoying as if she was entitled to do such a thing XD. Was kind of awkward.

Yeah, it had homewrecker written all over it.  Who was she to judge who the 'wrong' person was?
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2012 09:30 am by Ratava » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1182 on: Jul 13, 2012 09:23 pm »

The bitter one who tried to arrest her rival is the wrong one.

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #1183 on: Jul 13, 2012 09:40 pm »

Yeah, it had homewrecker written all over it.  Who was she to judge who the 'wrong' person was?

There's nothing wrong with being honest. While I do think assuming that Lin was the "wrong one" for Tenzin was a bit presumptive (though, we don't know the details of how she came to that conclusion), she's allowed to be honest with Tenzin about her feelings.

And in any case, Pema didn't wreck any homes. Tenzin chose to leave Lin. It was HIS decision to let their relationship fall apart, not Pema's. He's a human being, not the last cookie in the cookie jar. He's not an object to be fought over.

My problem with Pema's advice is her failure to emphasize that Korra needed to respect Asami's feelings as well. Love's not a competition, and I'm dismayed that Korra never considered Asami's feelings as she tried to get with the girl's boyfriend. That IS wrong, and I'm disappointed in that.

But calling Pema and Korra homewreckers? No. The ultimate decisions were made by Tenzin and Mako. They shoulder the blame, not Pema and Korra.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Ratava
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1184 on: Jul 13, 2012 11:03 pm »

There's nothing wrong with being honest. While I do think assuming that Lin was the "wrong one" for Tenzin was a bit presumptive (though, we don't know the details of how she came to that conclusion), she's allowed to be honest with Tenzin about her feelings.

And in any case, Pema didn't wreck any homes. Tenzin chose to leave Lin. It was HIS decision to let their relationship fall apart, not Pema's. He's a human being, not the last cookie in the cookie jar. He's not an object to be fought over.

My problem with Pema's advice is her failure to emphasize that Korra needed to respect Asami's feelings as well. Love's not a competition, and I'm dismayed that Korra never considered Asami's feelings as she tried to get with the girl's boyfriend. That IS wrong, and I'm disappointed in that.

But calling Pema and Korra homewreckers? No. The ultimate decisions were made by Tenzin and Mako. They shoulder the blame, not Pema and Korra.

Being honest with your feelings isn't the problem, but you shouldn't judge someone who's right or wrong just because you have feelings for said person.
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #1185 on: Jul 15, 2012 06:20 pm »

^I'm definitely not arguing with that, and I'm definitely not arguing that acting entitled towards another woman's boyfriend is wrong right. as well. I just have a problem with the term "homewrecker" being thrown around as if Tenzin and Mako lack a brain and a capacity to make decisions.

EDIT: Whoops, ended up saying the opposite of what I meant. Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2012 06:24 pm by Stupendous » Logged

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1186 on: Jul 15, 2012 06:21 pm »

^I'm definitely not arguing with that, and I'm definitely not arguing that acting entitled towards another woman's boyfriend is wrong as well. I just have a problem with the term "homewrecker" being thrown around as if Tenzin and Mako lack a brain and a capacity to make decisions.

Basically this^

Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #1187 on: Sep 17, 2014 08:27 pm »

Something interesting I noticed about this episode while watching it again was how cold Korra is towards Bolin. Even in later episodes she seems to give him nowhere near the respect he deserves. Bolin loves Korra for sure, but in a much different way than Mako.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1188 on: Sep 17, 2014 09:51 pm »

Well look what happened when she took his invitation to go out on the town. Everyone who hated Mako or was (far too serious about) Borra took that to mean that Korra was a shallow, idiotic, something that rhymes with witch who was worst then Bella ever could be... and that's just the audience.

Bolin apparently lacks the ability to understand that no one is obligated to like you back if you happen to develop a crush on them. Like seriously - she isn't a machine that takes "Nice Coins". If she isn't interested in him like that having him continued to push for a relationship is going to be annoying and that's why she is kind of cold now.

In later seasons she is much easier with him because he has moved on and stopped being kind of creepy.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1189 on: Sep 17, 2014 09:59 pm »

I don't recall a single instance where Bolin was creepy with Korra or of Korra acting coldly toward Bolin.
Flamewheel4354
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1190 on: Nov 24, 2014 01:26 pm »

I know a lot of people complain about/criticize this episode, but I actually like it. Of all the episodes in Book 1, it's among those that give me a large number of laughs (especially Bolin's date with Korra!). As I've said elsewhere in these forums, I don't approve of Mako and Korra's actions, but I think the teenage lust love triangle situation is realistic for their age group. Additionally, the situation has provided a good opportunity for them to grow as characters, and we've seen them do just that (albeit it took a while).

I know Bolin gets really hurt and deserves the most sympathy in this episode, but every time I watch it, I can't help but feel sorry for Mako. The poor guy is so confused!
Gururu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1191 on: Nov 24, 2014 01:44 pm »

I know Bolin gets really hurt and deserves the most sympathy in this episode, but every time I watch it, I can't help but feel sorry for Mako. The poor guy is so confused!

I feel sorry for Mako, because he gets ALL the blame all the time from the fandom. Korra wasn't interested in Bolin, that was pretty clear from the begining :

Bolin: So, you see, we're together.

Korra: Well, not together together, more like friends.

Bolin: Right, friends. No, no, I didn't mean to imply.

Korra: Oh, you implied it.

It fits Bolin's character to fall for someone and unreasonably hard at that. He starts out as a fairly naive and childish character in the show. I wonder, if the more mature Bolin in book 4 wouldn't just have avoided the situation all together.

I agree with you. Spirit of Competition is one the best episodes in my opinion, because it delivers memorable moments and creates an interesting dynamic in the group. The idea, that Korra is falling for the older brother, while the younger is crushing on her could've been potentially really interesting, but in the following episodes that potential was kinda fumbled. The group overcame this pretty quickly and kept on making more mistakes, while never really care to referance this situation. I hope we get Korra and Mako mention this outside of a clip show, just to make sure both characters took something out of all this.

You know, it seems like you're so afraid to disappoint anyone, that you end up disappointing everyone.
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1192 on: Dec 30, 2014 07:53 pm »

I found this episode funny. Though considering that it derailed all the main characters and made me reluctant to invest in their lives any further, I say that this episode was pretty terrible. It is one thing to hate the characters, it is another to not care about them. After this episode, I didn't care if Team Avatar would ever be the same again.

This episode also brought out a lot of what was wrong with this show. All the excuses that apologist make do not do much to make the episode any more enjoyable.

Anyway, I love the Air kids, as always I found them enjoyable to watch.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2014 07:55 pm by Colonel_Brian » Logged
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #1193 on: Jun 07, 2015 08:06 pm »

The Mary Sue has someone watching the series for the first time. There have been some refreshing shipping discussion in the talkback. Like the fact these characters are meant to be teenagers and, therefore, automatic derps when it comes to relationships. Except for the reviewer, it's strangely positive discussion. I forgot what that was like.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2015 08:09 pm by djinn » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1194 on: Jun 08, 2015 05:51 pm »

I've never been clear on how that's a defense of the writing. Like, yeah, teenagers do that, acknowledged, but now can we get back to characters I want to watch on my TV?

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1195 on: Jun 08, 2015 07:20 pm »

I love this episode. I don't need my characters to be perfect - or even act "acceptable". I thought they were massive fun in this episode. The love-triangle was a bigger annoyance a couple episodes later on, some unnecessary drama, but this episode has some character gold. Especially Korra. The 'you wanna go toe-to-toe with me, pretty boy?' Korra. The 'When you're with her you're thinking about me aren't you'-Korra. The 'You kissed me back!'-Korra.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1196 on: Jun 08, 2015 08:04 pm »

I don't think anyone mentioned "perfect" or "acceptable." I mean, I'm a fan of Caine from the Acts of Caine books, so I definitely like unpleasant characters. It's just that typical teenagers are especially uncompelling out of all of humanity.

djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #1197 on: Jun 08, 2015 08:42 pm »

I was thinking more of Mako and how he seems to be the animated equivalent of snot in a snorkel for half the fandom. That and Korra being a rebellious teenager.

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: