Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 49 (20.3%)
9 - 41 (17%)
8 - 64 (26.6%)
7 - 36 (14.9%)
6 - 18 (7.5%)
5 - 11 (4.6%)
4 - 8 (3.3%)
3 - 4 (1.7%)
2 - 2 (0.8%)
1 - 8 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 241

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [105] The Spirit of Competition  (Read 54263 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1150 on: Jun 04, 2012 05:55 pm »

Well, now you're getting into a wider discussion. Basically, Mako's sudden interest in Korra came out of nowhere for a lot of people.

And no, I didn't learn anything new about Bolin, Korra, Jinora, or Tenzin. Mako is debatable, because I still don't quite have a read on his character, yet; every episode confuses me about him a little more. I did learn more about Pema, but she's a very minor character.

But tell me, what did you learn about these people? Please, tell me what I missed, because I thought the episode was running place in terms of character development.

And obviously the romantic subplot hasn't been shoved onto the backburner. It was touched upon in The Aftermath and in When Extremes Meet...obviously they are focusing on the main plot for right now but who's to say that they aren't going to revisit it.

"Touched upon" doesn't mean it's progressing at all. The Aftermath's acknowledgement went nowhere, as Korra wasn't dissuaded by Mako's threat and there weren't any consequences when she continued to go after Hiroshi.

And, FYI, I had a problem with the way ATLA handled subplots, too. Suki's imprisonment, and Sokka's reaction to that, was by far the worst. ATLA was far from perfect, but the good stuff made up for it.

Drunken Lemur
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1151 on: Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm »

Couldn't disagree more.

Are you telling me that you didn't learn anything new about the character of Bolin? Or Korra? Or Pema? Or Mako? Or Jinora? Or Tenzin?

I think you should be more patient and open-minded. The Spirit of Competition was a character-centered breather episode in between the plot heaviness of episodes 1-4 and 6-12...

And obviously the romantic subplot hasn't been shoved onto the backburner. It was touched upon in The Aftermath and in When Extremes Meet...obviously they are focusing on the main plot for right now but who's to say that they aren't going to revisit it.

In ATLA, there were subplots that were introduced at the beginning of the series that didn't get resolved until the very end of the series.

I didn't find this episode shallow. And how could it be rushed when the shipping subplots were being introduced and developed in the previous three episodes?

It was a fun episode, it had it flaws, but I liked it.  But yeah, the shipping subplots were there, though they could've been handled better.  Then again, I thought Kataang was handled brutally in ATLA, so there's a history of this kind of treatment. 

Ember Island Players was one of my favorite episodes from ATLA and I remember it getting a lot of hate, too, so I just figure whatever...some people just aren't going to like these kind of shows.  What I don't like, however, is people bashing the show talking like their opinion is the majority and the only correct one.  That's nonsense...and looking at the votes, less than 20% gave it a 6 or lower, that's a considerable minority.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1152 on: Jun 06, 2012 12:50 pm »

^ But EIP was meant to be hilarious. Most of this episode wasn't.

Drunken Lemur
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1153 on: Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm »

^ But that's a matter of opinion, isn't it?  I found it quite funny, not to level of EIP, but that's hard to top. 
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1154 on: Jun 06, 2012 01:05 pm »

^ What it was meant to be isn't a matter of opinion. If it worked is.

EIP was clearly played for laughs because it was pretty much one big joke. This episode had jokes in it, but most of it was actually rather serious, so the intent wasn't quite the same.

TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #1155 on: Jun 06, 2012 01:25 pm »

All I see in this episode is some character bonding time and a progression of a sub plot. I saw a lot of people hate on it because they felt it achieved no purpose. The pro bending had to be pushed forward so it could be finished to make way for the main plot. I don't get why everyone demands 24/7 explosions and action scenes. A little bit of a change is not that bad. Tongue

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1156 on: Jun 06, 2012 09:51 pm »

Your opinion will matter more if you stop attacking strawman-arguments. Tongue Mindless action scenes are just as bad as mindless shipping nonsense. My complaint is that this wasn't real character bonding time, and the subplot was progressed in a clumsy way that was the first big pacing-mistake made by the series.

Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1157 on: Jun 06, 2012 11:32 pm »

So...judging by the poll and the comments I've seen all throughout this...is it moderately safe to say that we're treating this almost like "The Great Divide" of Korra?

Interesting, but perhaps unnecessary?

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1158 on: Jun 07, 2012 12:28 am »

Well, now you're getting into a wider discussion. Basically, Mako's sudden interest in Korra came out of nowhere for a lot of people.

And no, I didn't learn anything new about Bolin, Korra, Jinora, or Tenzin. Mako is debatable, because I still don't quite have a read on his character, yet; every episode confuses me about him a little more. I did learn more about Pema, but she's a very minor character.

But tell me, what did you learn about these people? Please, tell me what I missed, because I thought the episode was running place in terms of character development.

Well...first Mako's interest in Korra was not sudden. He went out of his way to visit Korra on Air Temple Island. Sure, he rationalized it away in the name of finding his brother but then he readily rationalizes away his feelings for Korra in favor of Asami only to turn around and debate his own rationalization.

There's also the scene when Mako and Korra are sleeping beside each other and wake up extremely embarrased. Of course, you're like "so what?"  And so I'm like "So what? Only their heads were touching but then they freaked out as if they were straddling each other. Also, when Mako and Korra were at the Equalist rally: body language.

"Touched upon" doesn't mean it's progressing at all. The Aftermath's acknowledgement went nowhere, as Korra wasn't dissuaded by Mako's threat and there weren't any consequences when she continued to go after Hiroshi.[/quote]

Did you miss the end of the episode when Korra pushed Mako into Asami's arms.

"Touching upon" something means that you're addressing and exploring something very briefly...but you're still addressing/exploring it.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Drunken Lemur
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1159 on: Jun 07, 2012 03:44 am »

So...judging by the poll and the comments I've seen all throughout this...is it moderately safe to say that we're treating this almost like "The Great Divide" of Korra?

Interesting, but perhaps unnecessary?

Who's "we"?  The average rating for Great Divide was 5.something, I think this one was closer to 8.  Not even remotely the same, as this episode still pushed forward the main plot, which of course was the showdown with Amon in the arena.  If you actually looked at the voting, very few people relative to the total rated this episode poorly, but yet those people continue to talk up how majority their opinion is, which is annoying.  

It seems the people who hate this episode were folks who don't like shipping to begin with, and don't care for the pro-bending.  That is fair, but to say this episode was pointless forget that the main plot tied up Amon and pro-bending in episode 6, and this episode moved toward that point.  Some people may think this episode was worse than Great Divide, while in turn I'll think their opinion jumped the shark.

Anyway, more to the point, I'm not saying this episode was fantastic, just that I liked it.  It was flawed, but I have liked several episodes that were flawed, like the Fortune Teller to name one. 
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2012 03:55 am by Drunken Lemur » Logged
proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #1160 on: Jun 07, 2012 01:35 pm »

I agree, it was no where near as bad as the Great Divide.  It did advance the plot a little, but I think it was more pure crazy fun which I love!!! 

Like I said I think Mike and Bryan were off their meds when they wrote it.   Wink
mccruz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1161 on: Jun 07, 2012 03:01 pm »

Its debatable if his interest in Korra was out of nowhere but I think its irrelevant.. Even if it was, in real life... Lets say your friends with a good looking and well-liked girl in school but you don't think of her as more of a friend, say you find out that she is interested in you as more than a friend and wants to be more, at that point you may start to see her differently now.

I dont know how old you are but I know they are teenagers and thats usually how teens work

guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1162 on: Jun 07, 2012 03:14 pm »

Its debatable if his interest in Korra was out of nowhere but I think its irrelevant.. Even if it was, in real life... Lets say your friends with a good looking and well-liked girl in school but you don't think of her as more of a friend, say you find out that she is interested in you as more than a friend and wants to be more, at that point you may start to see her differently now.

I dont know how old you are but I know they are teenagers and thats usually how teens work

Except when you watch television for romance you'd expect that the romance should be a bit better than shallow teenage rationales (that even then, aren't properly explained and have to be implied from the audience without any reason to imply them).

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #1163 on: Jun 07, 2012 04:25 pm »

Well they are teenagers...

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #1164 on: Jun 07, 2012 04:49 pm »

I think it's more like a mixture of the beach and EIP.

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1165 on: Jun 07, 2012 05:10 pm »

Well they are teenagers...

I disagree that teenage romances can't be heartfelt and enjoyable while also deep and complicated. I'm sure a lot of people would probably feel the same way.

It's just that 105 was shallow and really bad.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Nyokou
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Perfect Atrocity

Nyokou@live.com Nyok0u Nyokou
« Reply #1166 on: Jun 07, 2012 05:51 pm »

But a lot of teenage relationships aren't really like that.

If they were, there would be more people out there married to their high school sweethearts.

Girls' Generation - "Paparazzi" Dance Edit GOLD | 효연

Keeper of Lin & Tenzin's Friendship | Lin Regaining Her Bending [112]
Noatak's Single Tear [112]
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #1167 on: Jun 07, 2012 06:03 pm »

We aren't necessarily looking for realism, though. Just a good story.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1168 on: Jun 07, 2012 06:03 pm »

But a lot of teenage relationships aren't really like that.

If they were, there would be more people out there married to their high school sweethearts.

What part of my post made you think that a quintessential romance had to be successful? If anything, there's nothing more boring than that.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1169 on: Jun 07, 2012 06:17 pm »

Considering that the cast of ATLA pretty much married their first crushes, I think I'm justified in expecting something a little bit more interesting from the Kast than shallow teenage crushes. The problem is that for most people, "teenage" behavior usually means "shallow modern suburbanite behavior." And the Krew most certainly aren't living lives that are in any way similar to that... except for Korra, until she got to Republic City.

Well...first Mako's interest in Korra was not sudden. He went out of his way to visit Korra on Air Temple Island. Sure, he rationalized it away in the name of finding his brother but then he readily rationalizes away his feelings for Korra in favor of Asami only to turn around and debate his own rationalization.

I really doubt that Mako visited Air Temple Island mainly because he wanted to get in Korra's pants. He certainly didn't act at all pleased to see her once he got there.

Also, you didn't answer my question. What did you learn about the characters I listed?

There's also the scene when Mako and Korra are sleeping beside each other and wake up extremely embarrased. Of course, you're like "so what?"  And so I'm like "So what? Only their heads were touching but then they freaked out as if they were straddling each other. Also, when Mako and Korra were at the Equalist rally: body language.

Mako didn't really freak out, he jumped up with surprise at finding Korra in his face. Given that he's an introvert, I can totally understand him being a bit jumpy at finding his personal space unexpectedly invaded. Korra freaked out. Watch that scene again.

Besides, that scene wasn't even in this episode. Why are we going through this junk?

Quote from: Loopy
"Touched upon" doesn't mean it's progressing at all. The Aftermath's acknowledgement went nowhere, as Korra wasn't dissuaded by Mako's threat and there weren't any consequences when she continued to go after Hiroshi.

Did you miss the end of the episode when Korra pushed Mako into Asami's arms.

Did you miss the part where this didn't actually affect anything? Mako was fully loyal to Asami over Korra before that moment. Korra was more dedicated to doing her job than pleasing Mako before that moment. Korra also wasn't acting jealous or causing any trouble for the Masami pairing. Heck, she even expressed friendship towards Asami earlier in the episode upon finding out that Asami wasn't prissy. It seems Korra really wasn't all that jealous of them.

It was an illusion of progress and character development. Which is one of the major problems with the writing in this show.

"Touching upon" something means that you're addressing and exploring something very briefly...but you're still addressing/exploring it.

Or, you're just tossing in a throwaway moment so that the audience doesn't accuse you of forgetting about Suki again.

Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #1170 on: Jun 07, 2012 06:35 pm »

Sure, he rationalized it away in the name of finding his brother but then he readily rationalizes away his feelings for Korra in favor of Asami only to turn around and debate his own rationalization.

Proof pls.

colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1171 on: Jun 08, 2012 09:34 am »

We aren't necessarily looking for realism, though. Just a good story.

I agree, I'd rather have couples work out(most of the time) even if it is unrealistic and boring. I am willing to throw out a certain amount of realism.
mindbender1
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Oh yeah baby...I rock! sig=guitarfreak magic!

« Reply #1172 on: Jun 15, 2012 12:06 am »

This is my daughter's favorite.  She is 11 and absolutely loves the corny teen romance stuff that Bryke writes. Who ends up wit who doesn't matter to us as long as the story is good and we get a good laugh.

Keeps: Aang's Kanelephant Strut, training blindfolded, & all of his cool disappearances
Lin's zipping Bolin's fly, Meelo's fartbending ability, Aang's tenderness to Korra
Ceibita
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

=(^.^)=

« Reply #1173 on: Jun 15, 2012 11:12 am »

This is my daughter's favorite.  She is 11 and absolutely loves the corny teen romance stuff that Bryke writes. Who ends up wit who doesn't matter to us as long as the story is good and we get a good laugh.

Yup!! ^.^ I think people try to read into things too much and forget to just relax and enjoy the episode. I rated it a 10 for cuteness and hilarious...ness. Cheesy

アバターが好きだよ!
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1174 on: Jun 15, 2012 11:19 am »

Yup!! ^.^ I think people try to read into things too much and forget to just relax and enjoy the episode. I rated it a 10 for cuteness and hilarious...ness. Cheesy

I don't think we read into anything.

Personally, I said this when I first saw episode 5: I could have watched two minutes of that episode, and nothing else, and there would have been no problems transitioning from 104 to 106.

It was useless, and to be frank, boring.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: