Oct 22, 2019 05:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 49 (20.3%)
9 - 41 (17%)
8 - 64 (26.6%)
7 - 36 (14.9%)
6 - 18 (7.5%)
5 - 11 (4.6%)
4 - 8 (3.3%)
3 - 4 (1.7%)
2 - 2 (0.8%)
1 - 8 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 241

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [105] The Spirit of Competition  (Read 75712 times)
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #1100 on: May 09, 2012 02:22 pm »

I am going to say this, I don't think it is out of line. Zutara people might hate what I am going to say, but sorry it is the truth. I feel the Korra / Mako love story is very trival compared to Kataang. Korra at this point, if she just gave up on Mako I think can move on. While Aang if things didn't work out with Katara, let's just say she found someone else before he had the nerve express his feelings, and did nothing. That would deveistate him and he would spent the rest of his days alone. Either that or have a loveless marrage of procreation process with the sole intention of continuing the Air Bender race.

Makorra just doesn't seem as epic and important as Kataang was. I just think Katara is more important to Aang than Mako is to Korra at the moment. Makorra is more like the other couples in the original series. If Zuko and Mai, or Sokka and Suki didn't hook up, doesn't chance the dynamic of the series, if just young love. Aang and Katara was very centered in the story, it was almost as important to Aang's character arc as defeating Ozai.If they don't have a happy ending, it chances the outlook of the overal story.

I am not really a shipper, just fan of the franchise, and objectivly seeing things with my own eyes, this is just the way they wrote it. But Aang and Katara felt much more like a epic love story than any of the other couples in both series, and that includes the main couple in this series Makorra. Probably because Byrke loves that pairing, and put more effort into them.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012 03:54 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
tcollet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1101 on: May 09, 2012 02:58 pm »

^ I agree ^

But, for the record, every time I watch Korra and Mako together (and I've watched 1-5 way too many times already) it just seems right. Dunno.  I'm trying to look at it objectively too so when she kisses Mako I try and envision Bolin there, and don't get me wrong, I love Bolin's character and I identify with it more than Mako, but it just doesn't feel right at all.
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #1102 on: May 09, 2012 03:37 pm »

^^You have to keep in mind that ATLA itself is an 'epic story' where lok is not. They definitely don't have that tight bond Katara and Aang did because they aren't watching out for eachother, or fighting for their lives every day... And they just really don't seem like friends in general yet. (And I don't think Aang would be alone forever...)

But yeah, they don't have the same bond, and I think she would be able to get over it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012 03:50 pm by iwashere » Logged

Sigs are for the weak
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1103 on: May 09, 2012 03:58 pm »

^^You have to keep in mind that ATLA itself is an 'epic story' where lok is not. They definitely don't have that tight bond Katara and Aang did because they aren't watching out for eachother, or fighting for their lives every day... And they just really don't seem like friends in general yet. (And I don't think Aang would be alone forever...)

But yeah, they don't have the same bond, and I think she would be able to get over it.

Good point, but I am just not as invested in Korra and Mako's love as I was Aang and Katara. But that could change. When I see Mako and Asami together, I don't feel the same pain for Korra that I felt for Aang when I see Katara going gaga over guys like Haru and Jet. But than again, that is because I like Asami much more than Jet.

iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #1104 on: May 09, 2012 04:05 pm »

^Yeah, I see what you mean. But, Aang didn't seem jealous over Jet and Haru, though.

Sigs are for the weak
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1105 on: May 09, 2012 04:10 pm »

^Yeah, I see what you mean. But, Aang didn't seem jealous over Jet and Haru, though.

I know, but I saw what was going on, and I know how Aang feels about her. It is a combination of that. So I felt bad for him even though he didn't notice. It is hard to explain, but you get my point? My thought in episode 110, Katara liked this jerk more than Aang, poor Aang.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012 04:46 pm by fireywaters » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1106 on: May 09, 2012 06:12 pm »

^^ When thinking about the show's writing, it's important to keep in mind the difference between characters you like and realistic things characters would say.  To me, a large part of "good writing" is the ability to make me feel, "Yeah, that's exactly what X would've said."  Whether or not I *like* a character is more about design.  And I like the Krew, even with their flaws.  While I do feel transitions in the show can be a bit abrupt, I also think that all the characters are acting... well, in character.  That's good writing.

Yeah, see, I spent most of this latest episode looking at everything Mako did and thinking, "Where's the quiet, responsible guy who always has to be in control and is the responsible brother?"

So, maybe it's in-character for Mako to go completely off the rails, act irresponsibly and without thinking, just because he wants to get in a girl's pants. But I had no idea of that before this episode. His relationship with Asami didn't indicate any of that.

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1107 on: May 09, 2012 07:25 pm »

Yeah, see, I spent most of this latest episode looking at everything Mako did and thinking, "Where's the quiet, responsible guy who always has to be in control and is the responsible brother?"

So, maybe it's in-character for Mako to go completely off the rails, act irresponsibly and without thinking, just because he wants to get in a girl's pants. But I had no idea of that before this episode. His relationship with Asami didn't indicate any of that.

They hinted at his controlling, infantilizing nature towards Bolin in the past. And Mako acting weirdly because of girl showed through in his hypocrisy with Asami. He chided Bolin about bringing fangirls to the box during game time, reprimanded Korra for casually mentioning how she grew up never wanting for anything, and then ended up bringing fangirl Asami to the box during game time and letting her flaunt her wealth without comment.

Bolin even calls him out on that when he downplays Korra's girlfriend potential for Bolin immediately after musing aloud about how she has great girlfriend potential for himself.
TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #1108 on: May 09, 2012 07:58 pm »

^Classic "Do as I say, not as I do," an I right?

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1109 on: May 09, 2012 08:01 pm »

They hinted at his controlling, infantilizing nature towards Bolin in the past. And Mako acting weirdly because of girl showed through in his hypocrisy with Asami. He chided Bolin about bringing fangirls to the box during game time, reprimanded Korra for casually mentioning how she grew up never wanting for anything, and then ended up bringing fangirl Asami to the box during game time and letting her flaunt her wealth without comment.

Well to be fair, Asami family is their sponser. So she is kind of the team owner. Jerry Jones is allowed to go to the coaches sidelines. Being owner or related to owner gives you some special back stage privilages.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1110 on: May 09, 2012 08:38 pm »

Bolin even calls him out on that when he downplays Korra's girlfriend potential for Bolin immediately after musing aloud about how she has great girlfriend potential for himself.

Yeah, but that was all this episode. Granted, Mako did infantilize Bolin before, but the hypocrisy of it was only just established.

I wasn't expecting it, so I question whether we can safely say that the writing is good because everyone acted in-character based on what we knew. It's possible to argue that the writing is good because we were surprised in a way that didn't contradict what we saw before, but I don't think the latest characterization logically follows from everything else.

Katara16
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Want some?

« Reply #1111 on: May 09, 2012 08:47 pm »

I'm not sure if that has been mentioned or asked yet, I'm a little late into the discussion.  At the end of the match, when Korra was dodging the attacks and setting up the hat trick, was she using airbending movements to waterbend?

"No!  No!  I mean if it was a choice between kissing you and dying..."
"Ughhh!!"
"What?  I'm saying I would rather kiss you then die.  That a compliment!"
"Well, I'm not sure which I would rather do!" *stomps away*
"What is wrong with me?" *pouts*

LMBO
momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #1112 on: May 09, 2012 09:28 pm »

I'm not sure if that has been mentioned or asked yet, I'm a little late into the discussion.  At the end of the match, when Korra was dodging the attacks and setting up the hat trick, was she using airbending movements to waterbend?

I'm not sure that's even possible. She could be using airbending to dodge, but to actually waterbend seems odd.

Sig by arasam22
RubberBandMan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1113 on: May 09, 2012 09:57 pm »

I don't see why not. I know in her first match she seemed to use a full 360 spin to bend some water.

In the original series, Iroh did use Waterbending to inspire his firebending, and more to that, Aang easily picked up Waterbender, with his mastery of Airbending providing a solid foundation.

Of all the elements, I think Air and Water are the most similar, earth is all ridged, and Firebending is all attacking.

I'm gonna snap!
momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #1114 on: May 09, 2012 09:59 pm »

Iroh used waterbending to develop lightning redirection, doesn't necessarily means it waterbending, just a similar technique.

Sig by arasam22
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #1115 on: May 09, 2012 10:03 pm »

I don't see why not. I know in her first match she seemed to use a full 360 spin to bend some water.

In the original series, Iroh did use Waterbending to inspire his firebending, and more to that, Aang easily picked up Waterbender, with his mastery of Airbending providing a solid foundation.

Of all the elements, I think Air and Water are the most similar, earth is all ridged, and Firebending is all attacking.
Air is practically all defensive. Waterbending does have decent offensive capabilities. I actually think Waterbending and Earthbending are more similar, they both seem more evenly split in terms of defense and offense. Air is almost all defensive and Firebending offensive.  Waterbending is about redirecting, Earthbending about intercepting, Firebending about preempting, and Airbending about evading.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1116 on: May 10, 2012 06:48 am »

Air is practically all defensive. Waterbending does have decent offensive capabilities. I actually think Waterbending and Earthbending are more similar, they both seem more evenly split in terms of defense and offense. Air is almost all defensive and Firebending offensive.  Waterbending is about redirecting, Earthbending about intercepting, Firebending about preempting, and Airbending about evading.

Eh, I wouldn't say Airbending is all defensive. I remember when Yangchen was looking like she'd uproot trees with her Airbending, I realized then that Airbending was probably one of the more devastating elements out there.

Though I do agree that water and earth are pretty similar in the sense that they have an even balance between being able to defend and attack at the same time. The only thing I'd say is that the way they do it is pretty different. Waterbending is like defending and immediately switching to offense, kind of like how you'd shield yourself with water and then swing it around and let it loose against your opponent. Earthbending seems more stiff, in the sense that you don't flow between defense to offense and then back to defense. It seems that they're held in place by the stances they take and they change based on their change in stance.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #1117 on: May 10, 2012 05:47 pm »

So. Crazy idea time. Lots of people are dissatisfied with this episode. I think that's something we can agree on.

The crazy idea is this. Did bryke intentionally put this episode here... knowing it would piss off some of the fandom... only to put the greatest episode of the series after it?

Let's look.
103 -- good
104 -- better than 103
105 -- not that focused on amon
106 -- could be the episode that changes everything?

Even if you think 105 was good (like I do) this idea still works. Amon has been out of our minds for about 2 weeks, only to have him return in magnificent fashion. thoughts?

The idea here is that it was very intentional to put 105 here, not necessarily because korra needed a breather. But it helps that she got one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012 09:36 pm by ALTA_FAN » Logged

UnownLegend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thank you Returnable Memory for the set!

« Reply #1118 on: May 10, 2012 07:07 pm »

YOU GAISE our bickering has almost got this thread longer than the episode 1 thread! In less than a week!

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1119 on: May 10, 2012 09:33 pm »

^ LOL. You gotta admit, whether you ship or not, it stirs great and lengthy conversation in the fandom xD

Mainly a lurker, but I come out of my shell once in a while...
Click on my Korra Nation page! http://sot.ag/Mzk1MDA4
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #1120 on: May 11, 2012 08:04 am »

^yup, that's what we are famous for Wink

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode; it was the one of the funniest episode ever.

And I absolutely LOVE all the facial expressions in the episode. The best one was Korra's face when she was eating the noodles. Cheesy

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #1121 on: May 11, 2012 12:47 pm »

2397 screenshots are available for this episode

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1122 on: May 11, 2012 12:58 pm »

People complaining about the character development & that the series is rushed unlike ATLA but also need to realize that the first series was long and drawn out b/c the creators were establishing a new epic franchise so they had to show alot of details for viewers to understand the Avatar universe. Now that everything has been established they can move at a faster pace.  Plus Korra series is supposed to be way shorter than first (26 episodes). What u expect?
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #1123 on: May 11, 2012 01:12 pm »

And you continue in your quest for each episode to have more screenshots than the last.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #1124 on: May 11, 2012 01:13 pm »

^ It's not on purpose Embarrassed  Believe me, I would much rather find a different use for those incredibly tedious hours I spend taking screenshots... Embarrassed

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: