Sep 02, 2014 01:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're looking for where the live-action movie thread went, read this announcement.

ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you like about TLOK!  (Read 9591 times)
Ceibita
Untethered

=(^.^)=

« Reply #200 on: Nov 25, 2012 07:58 pm »

Can I just say I liked everything? <3

アバターが好きだよ!
Flipdark95
Untethered

« Reply #201 on: Nov 25, 2012 08:13 pm »

Yes of course you can!

One thing I definitely liked was how awesome the Police Airships are, I mean they're just so... cylindrical!

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Molra
Untethered

« Reply #202 on: Nov 26, 2012 02:06 pm »

For those wanting a summary of TLOK b.1, in a professional marketing style, watching Book 1 DVD trailer the key words that synthesize the "Air" book are:

1. a search for identity
2. a story of friendship
3. a test of courage
4. as evil stirs once again...
5. ...a new hope rises

In a sense, I think those 5 points are indeed a good abstract of the heroes' (not just Korra's, although she is the main Hero) journeys addressed in book 1.

edit: as for the hope stuff, I need to add:

(thanks to Nukilik)
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012 04:49 pm by Molra » Logged
Fire Rose
Untethered

« Reply #203 on: Nov 26, 2012 02:22 pm »

I personally think the search for identity will be a recurring theme in the series. Korra needs to come up with her own identity as a water tribe girl and the Avatar instead of living up to Aang's legacy. Bolin will figure out what he wants to do with his life since probending may not be his forte (at least leadership isn't). Mako and Asami will probably go through the same thing as well but in different ways. Perhaps Asami isn't cut out to run a company or Mako isn't cut out to be a cop.
Singe
Untethered

« Reply #204 on: Nov 26, 2012 05:19 pm »

^
Well we know Mako doing a suddenly jump to cop is a big thing compared to his Season 1 character.

Asami taking over the company is more believable because she's rich. Being rich in those times, means better education. Season 1 doesn't give her the kind of tests to challenge her intelligence. She has a very large untapped potential in doing things.
Flipdark95
Untethered

« Reply #205 on: Nov 26, 2012 09:58 pm »

Mako becoming a cop wouldn't be such a big leap for him, he certainly has the coolness-under-fire and the intelligence for that kind of job.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #206 on: Nov 26, 2012 09:58 pm »

For those wanting a summary of TLOK b.1, in a professional marketing style, watching Book 1 DVD trailer the key words that synthesize the "Air" book are:

1. a search for identity
2. a story of friendship
3. a test of courage
5. ...a new hope rises

In a sense, I think those 5 points are indeed a good abstract of the heroes' (not just Korra's, although she is the main Hero) journeys addressed in book 1.

Those actually have nothing to do with the Hero's Journey. Sounds like the formula for a generic action plot, though.

"What can I say? Beneath my cocksure exterior I have terribly low self-esteem."

"Yes, but beneath that low self-esteem you really do think you're better than everyone else."

"Fair point."
TF:MTMTE Annual 2012, by James Roberts
Singe
Untethered

« Reply #207 on: Nov 26, 2012 11:13 pm »

Mako becoming a cop wouldn't be such a big leap for him, he certainly has the coolness-under-fire and the intelligence for that kind of job.

Episode 9 showed us how cool Mako can keep it under pressure. Episode 5 showed how smart Mako can keep personal matters outside of the games.

Asami was a tank in the season. Man she could take anything that was thrown at her. When it came to the main female cast, Asami and Lin looked a heck of a lot stronger than Korra. Korra has a lot of catching up to do.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm by Singe » Logged
iwashere
Untethered

._.

« Reply #208 on: Nov 26, 2012 11:18 pm »

1. a search for identity
2. a story of friendship
3. a test of courage
5. ...a new hope rises

LoK, a story of friendship? Yeah, I don't think so...

Sigs are for the weak
Untethered

Do the thing!

« Reply #209 on: Nov 26, 2012 11:26 pm »

1. a search for identity
2. a story of friendship
3. a test of courage
5. ...a new hope rises

At least they don't mention that love triangle, right?

Sig by Guitarfreak.
iwashere
Untethered

._.

« Reply #210 on: Nov 26, 2012 11:31 pm »

1. a search for identity
2. a story of friendship
3. a test of courage
5. ...a new hope rises

If they did, at least that would of been true.

Sigs are for the weak
Flipdark95
Untethered

« Reply #211 on: Nov 26, 2012 11:49 pm »

I can  only see the first one being absolutely correct. Being honest here.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Singe
Untethered

« Reply #212 on: Nov 26, 2012 11:52 pm »

1. a search for identity
2. a story of friendship
3. a test of courage
5. ...a new hope rises

That would be number 4.
Abe Simpson: That love triangle is *Evil*, I tells ya. Evil! Eeeeeeviillll!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012 11:54 pm by Singe » Logged
Molra
Untethered

« Reply #213 on: Nov 27, 2012 05:40 am »

I come to apologize to everybody, I am sorry I have started the trailer talk here, a place where we are supposedly talking about things we do like (I did not imagine that this would lead again to the same black hole). Sometimes the obsession with this tetrahedron love thing blinds the reason of who spreads this weird rejection throughout everywhere. ... back to toppic:

Loopy, you are right, those 5 items do not describe a classical hero's journey, but may be seen as part of it, don't you agree?

Iwashere, I do think the seeds of friendship where in all book 1. Some have already been planted, flourished in the past, almost died and had to be watered to flourish again, as it was the case of an old and solid friendship that overcame the barrier of heartache (Lin e Tenzin). Other seeds have being planted, are germinating and require irrigation - fresh friendships: Team Avatar among themselves, with the airkids, with adults. Some are starting to be planted: Lin and Pema. I think TLOK is, basically, a story of friendship (maybe more than a romance, although that is also there), we will see more of it...
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012 03:09 pm by Molra » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Untethered

Av & Sig by tokkatokkatokka

« Reply #214 on: Nov 27, 2012 07:34 am »

I would ask very nicely to keep this thread on topic. You don't have to agree with everyone else but there is also no need to drag things off topic.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings; Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit
Singe
Untethered

« Reply #215 on: Nov 27, 2012 11:27 am »

Asami and Lin as the top female characters that came out of this season that I liked, were the only ones to do fan service. Asami with her swimsuit. Lin without the armor on.

I also did like the clashing between Korra and Lin in 1. Really wish they kept this in the series leading to a nice bending scuffle between those two.

Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #216 on: Nov 27, 2012 06:52 pm »

Loopy, you are right, those 5 items do not describe a classical hero's journey, but may be seen as part of it, don't you agree?

Eh, not really. However, if you were referring to the journey of the protagonists in LoK, and not The Hero's Journey, then I misinterpreted your statement.

"Yes, but beneath that low self-esteem you really do think you're better than everyone else."

"Fair point."
Singe
Untethered

« Reply #217 on: Nov 27, 2012 08:49 pm »

Eh, not really. However, if you were referring to the journey of the protagonists in LoK, and not The Hero's Journey, then I misinterpreted your statement.

Lin did the Hero's Journey.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2012 08:51 pm by Singe » Logged
kotor10
Untethered

« Reply #218 on: Nov 29, 2012 10:13 pm »

I liked the overall somber aspect of Korra, and her struggles to find her spiritual connection, and also how though I totally didnt agree with the extreme measures Amon and the Equalist movement have done to Republic City, some of the message was very valid, in concering non benders fears and worries in relation to benders, though it got convoluted with grouping all benders as bad and evil, which was totally false, but the non benders do have valid concerns, and it should be addressed, and I like that they showed that it wasnt clear cut and dry that all that the Equalists stood for, their message wasnt totally evil. That was conveyed well to me in TLOK.
Suz
Untethered

« Reply #219 on: Dec 05, 2012 12:34 am »

While Korra is totally cute and adorable, I like that she's deeply flawed.  She's socially awkward, hot-headed, and somewhat immature.  I think that presents some potential growth for next season and those after.  I have mixed feelings on the love triangle business, but I liked how the Krew pushed that mess aside and rallied together in the end. 
LorenzTheAttractor
Untethered

« Reply #220 on: Dec 07, 2012 10:59 pm »

My most favorite part was the bloodbending. The nature and darkness of this practice made the show
interesting and gave it a side for which older audiences could reasonably enjoy the show. During the show,
I would try and notice the finger movements of bloodbenders while they were in the act. Such a dark side to
a children's show makes it thrilling for older audiences, kind of like a horror movie. I hope there is more of this
bending in the next season.

Another great aspect of Legend of Korra was the character development of the antagonist. Amon had the power
and the intelligence to plan out his actions against the Avatar and Republic City. His methods of contacting Republic City,
including radio announcements and connections within the city make him a formidable opponent to the Avatar. I also
liked the on-stage talks and debending performances he did. Amon's Equalist paraphernalia looked like something you
would see for a concert or a record album, which made Amon appear as a big star.
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Untethered

« Reply #221 on: Sep 26, 2013 08:39 pm »

I've been lurking here more consistently over the past week (the series is finally back and I was more interested to read some more fan discussions on it) and I've been reading a lot of the threads and registered and I must say.. it was kinda bumming me out after a while, as I was encountering such a large amount of negativity and criticism here, and on comment sections of other sites; and I've spent time on some pretty negative forums and split fandoms over the years. In fact wading through it bummed me so much it began skewing and souring my perception and memory of past episodes, even ones I'd seen practically only just earlier, when going back and re-watching the episodes it actually totally wasn't as bad as I had somehow come to believe, particularly with bashed character actions. I had come to a fan-forum after all, I had expected at least something remotely close to people liking the show, or at least aspects of it, as I had liked to come here to engage in discussions with fellow fans, rather than fighting debates and trying to defend the show appealed to my taste. Thankfully I quickly had pm contact with another member on it, with whom I'm likely to pm further a lot discussing future episodes. This might be a sour little paragraph, but I suppose I'd like to vent this, and I often had to wonder whether the people here on balance even liked the show, especially when a venture over to the AtLA portion of the forum produced a lot more happy-dappy conversation than I found on this side. It bummed me out enormously that without that pm member I somehow couldn't even really share appreciation of the series on a fan forum. If I were to argue... I dunno, that I liked the finale a lot, the response wouldn't be very stimulating. Mutters of deus ex mechanica, rushed, no consequences, etc. Nothing is perfect, but barely found any appreciation at all, except in some of the poll ratings.

On the topic at hand;
The music, glorious. The track team really knows what it's doing. I've in fact had the soundtrack on a loop for an hour or two in the background now. I find it did a great job conveying (and amplifying) the emotion of scenes. In particular the music of the book 1 finale brings back so many highs and lows of emotion every time I hear it. Despite being a somewhat crammed episode, for me the music still made it a spectacular emotional rollercoaster to watch. 
Additionally the voices - another audio element I guess. I am loving the cast of voices. None grate me wrong in any way, and I enjoy listening to Korra/Janet's voice.

"Instinct is a lie
Told by a fearful body
Hoping to be wrong."
Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #222 on: Sep 26, 2013 08:49 pm »

I've been lurking here more consistently over the past week (the series is finally back and I was more interested to read some more fan discussions on it) and I've been reading a lot of the threads and registered and I must say.. it was kinda bumming me out after a while, as I was encountering such a large amount of negativity and criticism here, and on comment sections of other sites; and I've spent time on some pretty negative forums and split fandoms over the years. In fact wading through it bummed me so much it began skewing and souring my perception and memory of past episodes, even ones I'd seen practically only just earlier, when going back and re-watching the episodes it actually totally wasn't as bad as I had somehow come to believe, particularly with bashed character actions. I had come to a fan-forum after all, I had expected at least something remotely close to people liking the show, or at least aspects of it, as I had liked to come here to engage in discussions with fellow fans, rather than fighting debates and trying to defend the show appealed to my taste. Thankfully I quickly had pm contact with another member on it, with whom I'm likely to pm further a lot discussing future episodes. This might be a sour little paragraph, but I suppose I'd like to vent this, and I often had to wonder whether the people here on balance even liked the show, especially when a venture over to the AtLA portion of the forum produced a lot more happy-dappy conversation than I found on this side. It bummed me out enormously that without that pm member I somehow couldn't even really share appreciation of the series on a fan forum. If I were to argue... I dunno, that I liked the finale a lot, the response wouldn't be very stimulating. Mutters of deus ex mechanica, rushed, no consequences, etc. Nothing is perfect, but barely found any appreciation at all, except in some of the poll ratings.

Ah, you're new to internet fandoms, huh? That's how it always goes. The first installment forms the fandom. The next few installments are all loathed and all the cool kids hate on them because they're not the original stuff. Then comes something so divisive that the fandom is destroyed and it reforms with a brand new generation in control. However, it will always be smaller with a vague negative niche, and you'll always have a few old-timers hanging around talking about how great and active the golden age was no matter what their opinion of the current stuff is.

Then either Michael Bay adapts your property or Disney buys it and turns it into a franchise, and then things just get crazy and post-modern. But I don't think Avatar has that coming for a long while, yet.

"Fair point."
NeeNee
Global Moderator
Untethered

Who, me?

« Reply #223 on: Sep 26, 2013 09:00 pm »

I think Loopy's earlier reasoning made sense. In the beginning, everyone who joined the forum did so because they liked ATLA, so of course opinions were positive. Now, you have both people who joined because of TLOK (who like it) and people who joined because of ATLA (who might or might not like TLOK). So unlike before, there's a portion of the memberbase that doesn't like the show by default, which explains why there's a lot more negativity this time around.

Anyway, I like that we will learn more about the spirit world and the first Avatar. And learning more about Aang's family. I quite like Varrick, too (I appreciate his directness).

Loopy
Untethered

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #224 on: Sep 26, 2013 09:01 pm »

Yeah, I think Varrick is one of the funniest things in the Avatar franchise.

"Fair point."
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: