Aug 18, 2017 07:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 93 (42.7%)
9 - 63 (28.9%)
8 - 44 (20.2%)
7 - 12 (5.5%)
6 - 2 (0.9%)
5 - 1 (0.5%)
4 - 1 (0.5%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (0.9%)
Total Voters: 218

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [104] The Voice in the Night  (Read 61284 times)
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #950 on: May 07, 2012 11:51 pm »

Yeah I thought it would be a vaguer reference but I also thought there would be an actual voice in the night at one point.

Maybe Bryke wanted us to be on the lookout for a voice in the night throughout the episode but we never get one, thus mirroring Korra's situation and allowing the viewer to feel her uneasy paranoia.
ALTA_FAN
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yes, I am an Avatar Last the Airbender fan.

« Reply #951 on: May 07, 2012 11:58 pm »

Yeah I thought it would be a vaguer reference but I also thought there would be an actual voice in the night at one point.

Maybe Bryke wanted us to be on the lookout for a voice in the night throughout the episode but we never get one, thus mirroring Korra's situation and allowing the viewer to feel her uneasy paranoia.

^^That's deep, man. Lol. I like where you're going with that

Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #952 on: May 08, 2012 06:43 am »

Tarlokk is an equalist hes so creepy
Zombie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Still Shambling

« Reply #953 on: May 08, 2012 07:48 am »

^ Dude, Tarlokk is a waterbender. Now, that doesn't outright preclude being an equalist, but it does make it a little unlikely.

av by Fire_Princess sig by Shootingstar
Art of the Living Dead
Justrec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Show me the Toph!

« Reply #954 on: May 08, 2012 07:12 pm »

^ Dude, Tarlokk is a waterbender. Now, that doesn't outright preclude being an equalist, but it does make it a little unlikely.
I took that into account when I saw the episode, but It would seem perfectly fine for a bender to hate their own kind. It almost seems too likely.
tcollet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #955 on: May 09, 2012 03:04 pm »

I dunno - it would seem more likely that they have a temporary alliance and they both get what they want out of it.

Tarlokk = gets more power and support from the benders in Republic City.
Amon = gets his war.

They both think that they will double cross the other and win in this situation.  That seems more likely than Tarlokk's out to get other benders.
Ceibita
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

=(^.^)=

« Reply #956 on: May 09, 2012 03:35 pm »

I took that into account when I saw the episode, but It would seem perfectly fine for a bender to hate their own kind. It almost seems too likely.

I don't think we've had any characters (even in ATLA) like that, have we? I imagine if say, a firebender, accidentally burned down their own house and killed some people, they would hate themselves and other benders... They would *want* to lose their bending and get rid of other benders.

アバターが好きだよ!
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #957 on: May 09, 2012 08:16 pm »

I dunno - it would seem more likely that they have a temporary alliance and they both get what they want out of it.

Tarlokk = gets more power and support from the benders in Republic City.
Amon = gets his war.

They both think that they will double cross the other and win in this situation.  That seems more likely than Tarlokk's out to get other benders.

So in other words, something like an Azula / Long Feng alliance. An temperary alliance that is destined to leave at least one side screwed.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Zombie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Still Shambling

« Reply #958 on: May 10, 2012 07:19 am »

I can see that happening, but I hope it doesn't. Tarlokk is just so obviously meant to be a slimy, untrustworthy politician, I think it would seem a bit trite to have him turn out to be an outright villain. I'd rather he was just an occasional ally/obstacle of Korra who acts primarily for his own benefit. Basically a douche, just not a villainous one (which is what he appears to be at this point).

av by Fire_Princess sig by Shootingstar
Art of the Living Dead
Csims
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Famous quote by Chief Tecumseh (too long for here)

« Reply #959 on: May 18, 2012 06:50 am »

I think the flashback Korra had after Amon ambushed her was of a trial with the gang (excluding Zuko) present all grown up. Toph is chief of police as Mike & Bryan described is the bailiff so to speak. Aang is in the back likely as a witness and we see Sokka but there's not enough detail to know what his role is.

Please chime in.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less of time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light."-Lion Turtle from A:TLA
proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #960 on: May 20, 2012 07:02 pm »

I agree that it is a courtroom setting. 
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #961 on: May 25, 2012 11:57 am »

Yeah.

Rewatched the episode today.

And I must say...Hiroshi Sato was not very pleased when he met Korra and when he saw Asami hanging on Mako's arm.

It's subtle but it's there. You see it in his face.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #962 on: May 25, 2012 12:52 pm »

Also I noticed in the Mako / Asami first date scene, I think I see the head of Cabbage corp is there.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #963 on: May 25, 2012 11:33 pm »

Yeah.

Rewatched the episode today.

And I must say...Hiroshi Sato was not very pleased when he met Korra and when he saw Asami hanging on Mako's arm.

It's subtle but it's there. You see it in his face.

I rewatched it today too, and I agree. The way he greats Korra at the gala is quite sardonic, in hindsight.

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #964 on: May 26, 2012 07:59 pm »

Did anybody notice Tenzin, his family and Korra preparing to say a prayer for their food before Tarrlok barged in?

That was very interesting.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #965 on: May 26, 2012 08:42 pm »

It could be an Air Nomad thing that Aang taught Tenzin.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #966 on: May 26, 2012 09:26 pm »

It could be an Air Nomad thing that Aang taught Tenzin.

It probably is.

Air Nomads treat Airbending like it's a religion.

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #967 on: May 27, 2012 09:37 am »

They are based on Tibetan monks who pray.

WaterDragon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #968 on: May 28, 2012 09:25 am »

^^ I would not say that airbending is their (or is like their) religion, it probably has religious signifigance, but their religion is more of a form of Animism/Shinto mixed with some Buddhism.
fraroc
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #969 on: May 28, 2012 12:27 pm »

^^ I would not say that airbending is their (or is like their) religion, it probably has religious signifigance, but their religion is more of a form of Animism/Shinto mixed with some Buddhism.

It seems like there's refrences to every single religion, except christianity....

EDIT: Hold up, I take that back now. In The Crossroads of Destiny when Azula's lightning causes Aang's heart to stop beating, Katara cradles him like in the Michaelangelo sculpture la Pieta where the Virgin Mary is cradling the dead body of Christ after he is taken down from the crucifix.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012 12:38 pm by fraroc » Logged
Boilingwatergirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The raging Bloodbender.

« Reply #970 on: May 28, 2012 12:36 pm »

^ Do you think Bryke want to be taken off air?

THANK YOU guitarfreak for the amazing sig.
Keeper of Noatok defending Tarrlok and Tarrloks' "Put an end to this sad story"
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #971 on: May 28, 2012 01:43 pm »

^ Why would they be taken off air?

They confimed themselves that that scene was a reference to la Pieta, if I remember correctly. There were a lot of references like that.

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #972 on: May 28, 2012 10:04 pm »

It seems like there's refrences to every single religion, except christianity....

Christian families do the same thing.

Prayer and meditation is just a given in the lives of spiritual people. I mean it makes total sense for Airbenders to pray and bless their food but I was a little taken aback that it got put on television...much less in a "children's show."

EDIT: Hold up, I take that back now. In The Crossroads of Destiny when Azula's lightning causes Aang's heart to stop beating, Katara cradles him like in the Michaelangelo sculpture la Pieta where the Virgin Mary is cradling the dead body of Christ after he is taken down from the crucifix.

And yes...that scene was an obvious reference to la Pieta...

It worked though.

Yeah. But why would they be taken off the air? Especially when Korra's ratings are doing some crazysexycool things.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #973 on: May 28, 2012 10:25 pm »

Christian families do the same thing.

So do some Buddhists. Which, you know, the Air Nomads are based on.

NicoSchmiko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #974 on: May 29, 2012 07:34 am »

Here is the statue people have been referencing:

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: