Jun 24, 2018 01:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banner Graphic Contest Discussion  (Read 15003 times)
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Apr 16, 2012 01:41 am »

It's been a long time (almost 4 years!) since Avatarsprit.net has hosted a contest. We are pleased to be able to host one during these very exciting times! The contest is simple, but we always anticipate that there will be some questions or comments. This thread will help answer questions about our current contest that may not be covered in the previously posted rules:

Image format: PNG, JPG, whatever

Image size: 558 x 148 (or at least proportional)

Contest deadline: April 16th - May 6th (at 11:59pm EDT).

Requirements:

- Look at our current AvatarSpirit.net Aang banner for reference and inspiration.
   - Color scheme: Our ATLA banner is an orange/beige/brown color scheme, so the Korra banner should be shades of blue. For color reference, see our recent Korra pages.
   - You must be an active Avatarspirit.net member; one entry per person.

When you are ready, submit your entry to contests@avatarspirit.net with subject line "Korra Banner Contest", and include your ASN username in the email.

Prize: Your graphic will grace the top of our new Korra specific area. You will be fully credited, and your piece will be seen my many! This will earn you some mighty fine bragging rights Wink

This is a contest, so please do not post images or share ideas in the thread that could compromise your submission.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2012 02:46 am by SMBH » Logged

Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2012 02:41 am »

Are we allowed to send more than one banner? The scenario I have in mind is sending 2 or 3 of the same design but with slight differences.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2012 02:45 am »

Sorry, one entry per person.

I'll edit the announcement posts to mention that info.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:12 am »

Will this be the first of many contests to come?
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:14 am »

That's the hope! Cheesy

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:27 am »

So the part that will be the entry will contain no Avatar Spirit text or anything? You'll provide that bit I assume.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:43 am »

You mean this part?

If so, yeah that part stays there where it is.

The contest is to replace this placeholder:

The two images are separate, and the background behind the images is in the same color as the placeholder and the logo image, so the whole thing stretches and shrinks seamlessly when you resize your browser window. The image with the logo could be modified to make it complement the winner's entry if it's necessary, but the general idea of it (the size, the logo) stays the same.

I hope that makes sense. Look at the banner for the ATLA pages for reference, as it has the same structure -- we have the ASN logo image with the swirlies on the left, and a really cool Aang graphic on the right. That Aang graphic was also the subject of a contest, which Opal Koboi won.

I suppose we could make the ASN logo available for graphics makers to work with in their entries, in which case contestants would have to create two graphics, one for the logo (which goes on the left, with the dimensions of the current logo image) and one for the banner image (which goes on the right, with the dimensions indicated in the contest announcement), and then contestants could make the two graphics so that they're complementary of each other like the ATLA banner graphics. Know what I mean? (I feel like I'm going in circles, which may be due to the fact that it's nearly 5 in the morning and I may be just a liiiiiiittle bit sleepy. I hope I'm making sense Embarrassed ).

Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2012 06:12 am »

^ Don't worry, I understand you. Smiley

And I'm totally in, since this graphic is supposed to be somewhat simple.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2012 07:36 am »

I'm also in. Due to what I'm working on, I don't expect to win, I just want some experience designing something of this nature and size.
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2012 10:16 am »

i'd love to give this a go~

i have a question tho, is it okay if the banner is totally occupied with a picture?
so there isn't actually any blue? :|
that means i think it'll look better if the graphic on the left is edited too...but if you guys would like it with some blue kept, then i can work around that~

LadyKim
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hold up, wait a minute, put a little love in it~

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2012 10:25 am »

hmm hmm really interesting Cheesy

Opal Koboi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fools rush in where lemurs fear to look

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2012 11:07 am »

Woohoo!
This will be good.  Grin

Can't wait to see the new banner.  Cool

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2012 12:09 pm »

I'm making one, though I don't expect to win.

The_Elite711
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're a squid you're a kid you're a squid...

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2012 12:25 pm »

You'll never win with an attitude like that lol xD. Have some confidence Cheesy!

Keeps: Roku bending the elements at the same time, Water Tribe subs in DoBS, Korra's hat, the Probending arena!
ReturnableMemory
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2012 01:58 pm »

I've been waiting for this!! So excited!! Cheesy

<3
Destron23
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2012 02:30 pm »

Should it be a photomanipulation of Korra pics (such as the current ATLA banner) or can it be drawn?

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2012 02:48 pm »

One question.

How is the winner chosen?

Will we vote, will all the mods determine together who is the winner, or will only one person decide who is the winner?

Sig made by Dorky.
pyue
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:39 pm »

I'm totally doing this.
GET READY TO LOSE, EVERYONE.

Kidding. Tongue
My entry will probably be rushed and terrible.

wei is bae
Aurora
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The truth? About what?

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2012 05:00 pm »

I've got three questions.

Must the banner be entirely blue or can it be largely blue with some other colors?
Should the title of the show be in the banner?

Quote from: SMBH
I suppose we could make the ASN logo available for graphics makers to work with in their entries, in which case contestants would have to create two graphics, one for the logo (which goes on the left, with the dimensions of the current logo image) and one for the banner image (which goes on the right, with the dimensions indicated in the contest announcement), and then contestants could make the two graphics so that they're complementary of each other like the ATLA banner graphics.

Is this an official "okay" to make a matching logo+banner entry? The current logo on the Korra pages looks lonely. Sad And if it is official, can we have a proper-sized ASN logo to use as a template? The blank one currently on the Korra pages is slightly smaller than the ATLA one so I assume it's not the right size.

Thanks for this contest, I haven't been so inspired to make Avatar-themed graphics in a long time. Cheesy

I keep Zuko's letter to Mai, the golden dragon egg, Mai's tea shop outfit, and Suki's ability to defy gravity.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2012 05:14 pm »

You'll never win with an attitude like that lol xD. Have some confidence Cheesy!

Even with a good attitude, every single person who enters this contest (except for one) will lose. Don't bother with confidence, it will hold you back. Tongue

Anyway, I'm debating making a gag entry. Are these going to be collected anywhere public or would I just be annoying the staff again?

earth_lizard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2012 06:15 pm »

Ooh, neat! I wanna enter (though I won't win, it's worth a shot)! I hope there are more contests like this... this is awesome. Smiley

Anyway, I'm debating making a gag entry. Are these going to be collected anywhere public or would I just be annoying the staff again?

LOL Loopy, you always crack me up! Please release these on the forum... I want to see Loopy's gag entry. xD

iKeep: Bolin's green eyes, the new winged lemur species
My Graphics
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2012 06:18 pm »

I'd be interested to see all the entries too.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2012 06:31 pm »

Wooo, many comments and questions! Cheesy

i have a question tho, is it okay if the banner is totally occupied with a picture?
so there isn't actually any blue? :|
that means i think it'll look better if the graphic on the left is edited too...but if you guys would like it with some blue kept, then i can work around that~
Whatever you make for your contest entry should have a general blue 'feel' (so to speak), even if it's a picture, so that it harmonizes with the color scheme on the page. And yes, you can make it a whole banner picture but keep in mind that when displayed on the website, there are two banner images: the logo image on the left, and the banner image on the right, and there's a gap between them to allow for browser window resizing. And yes, you can work on the logo image too if you want.

Should it be a photomanipulation of Korra pics (such as the current ATLA banner) or can it be drawn?
Whatever you want!

How is the winner chosen?
The admins and mods will look at all the entries once the contest period is over and decide which one we like best. Mods are allowed to participate in the contest too, but any mods that participate have to excuse themselves from the judging.

Must the banner be entirely blue or can it be largely blue with some other colors?
As long as it has an overall blue feel, it can have colors other than blue.

Should the title of the show be in the banner?
If you want to. Wouldn't hurt! For anyone who's interested, the transparent Korra logo can be found on the official Korra website on nick.com.

Is this an official "okay" to make a matching logo+banner entry? The current logo on the Korra pages looks lonely. Sad And if it is official, can we have a proper-sized ASN logo to use as a template? The blank one currently on the Korra pages is slightly smaller than the ATLA one so I assume it's not the right size.
It's not required that people submit a logo image along with their contest entry (the contest is for the banner image itself, after all), but if people want to, they certainly can!

For those who are interested in doing this, use the ASN logo on the ATLA pages as template (for size of the image and location of the logo itself within the image:

And here's a (bigger) transparent logo, for those who need it:

If I'm not mistaken, in the past whenever there's been a graphics contest, the admins have made a gallery for everyone to see all the entries after picking the winner. So for this contest we'll probably do the same thing.

somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2012 06:38 pm »

I might be working on something right now

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2012 08:11 pm »

I'm warming up by making a new avatar and sig, and hopefully some ideas will spark. Smiley

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: