Oct 20, 2019 03:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Korra's portrayal -- negative reactions?  (Read 192707 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1675 on: Nov 01, 2012 09:24 pm »

That wasn't the response I was fishing for. Here, I'll give everyone a hint.

nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #1676 on: Nov 01, 2012 09:28 pm »

Maybe... "Hope isn't going to get us a more tight story in book 2, and it's not gonna improve the handling of the characters. We need to focus on what we're doing right now, and that's pointing out all the show's shortcomings?"  Grin

Or maybe Loopy wants a Makorra baby called Hope?  Tongue
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012 09:30 pm by nukilik » Logged
Singe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1677 on: Nov 01, 2012 09:28 pm »

Korra is not capable of being a mother yet.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1678 on: Nov 01, 2012 09:34 pm »

Maybe... "Hope isn't going to get us a more tight story in book 2, and it's not gonna improve the handling of the characters. We need to focus on what we're doing right now, and that's pointing out all the show's shortcomings?"  Grin

Ooh, I like that one.

Or maybe Loopy wants a Makorra baby called Hope?  Tongue

I would have settled for a screenshot of the original baby, or Aang sobbing like a little girl. I even expected one of Rohan. But now that you mention it, I can always use something as controversial as a picture of a Makorra spawnie. Grin

Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #1679 on: Nov 01, 2012 09:34 pm »

Loopy, I see what you mean, I remember now that dialogue...

and Nukilik, maybe you are right.

Talking about what is being done right now, by all TLoK krew, I think it is about time for them to give us some official news, maybe a short trailer, a few images... it's about time to feed us before the fandom interest decreases due to starvation...
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2012 09:57 pm by Molra » Logged

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #1680 on: Nov 01, 2012 09:39 pm »

^ Oh, yeah, it's already November. Hopefully we'll get something right after the holidays. Rember: Korra Nation started in January/February last year, no?
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012 04:22 am by nukilik » Logged
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1681 on: Nov 01, 2012 10:51 pm »

Yep, should be in that ballpark next year. Won't be long before we have ourselves a nice LOK preview...

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Watertaco
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

One ring to rule them all.

« Reply #1682 on: Nov 02, 2012 06:09 am »

We need more butter. That's why.

Keeper of Hasook's Hair, Korra's boots, Azula's fingernails, and a Equalist gas mask!
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1683 on: Nov 02, 2012 08:41 am »

Remember last year in December that someone leaked footage of the first episode? What do you think the odds of that guy coming up again? Does Nick have tabs on him/her now to prevent that from happening?

And also, do you think the creators will release the first two episodes on KorraNation like they did back in spring? Clearly it was a huge sucess so why not do it again.
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #1684 on: Nov 02, 2012 09:07 am »

^

1) No, I think the guy is not coming back. He only got lucky to get his hands on one episode and it didn't/won't happen anymore.

2) We don't know. But since Korra Nation's still arround I'd say our chances are reasonable.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1685 on: Nov 02, 2012 05:37 pm »

And also, do you think the creators will release the first two episodes on KorraNation like they did back in spring? Clearly it was a huge sucess so why not do it again.

Was it a huge success? How would we even quantify such a thing?

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1686 on: Nov 02, 2012 05:41 pm »

^ It got 100.000 Likes on Facebook and it was the most watched episode of Korra.

That has to count for something.

Sig made by Dorky.
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #1687 on: Nov 03, 2012 02:33 am »

How does it work for television? Is it all about how many viewers are watching (for the advertisers), or is the (kinda lacking) merchandise more important?

I'm wondering because I'm not sure how Nick benefits from releasing the first episodes online a month in advance. Maybe to build up a strong fanbase to carry the rest of the season?

Though there are clear benefits to carefully leaking tidbits of episides.Causing frenetic excitement in the fandom can be useful (at least when we're not being crazy).

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #1688 on: Nov 03, 2012 02:00 pm »

How does it work for television? Is it all about how many viewers are watching (for the advertisers), or is the (kinda lacking) merchandise more important?

I'm wondering because I'm not sure how Nick benefits from releasing the first episodes online a month in advance. Maybe to build up a strong fanbase to carry the rest of the season?

Though there are clear benefits to carefully leaking tidbits of episides.Causing frenetic excitement in the fandom can be useful (at least when we're not being crazy).

For kids series and any genre of the sort [comics, books, movies on comics and animated series] , toy and merchandise sales are sort of primary sources of income.However, ratings are also important due to the sponsors putting their money into the shows and need that money back and then some [the profit] to continue supporting the studios.

In Japan , which I am more familiar with due to my observances of their kid shows [primarily their tokusatsu], the toy sales are a huge factor and even, the toy companies are a huge factor in what is in the shows. Much of the gimmicks in their shows like Masked Rider and Sentai [Power Rangers] are because of the toy sales, but the show's ratings also matter in what is demanded by the audience.

Avatar could be different in the sense that it is not really motivated by toy sales as we have seen with its ratings, but it would not hurt if Korra got a decent line from Bandai where Korra and the Krew got awesome action figures and for the girls, dolls of the Krew done by Mattel like Barbies with their own accessories.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Singe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1689 on: Nov 03, 2012 02:15 pm »

Asami does come off as this show's own version of Barbie. Three outfits: her default clothing, swimsuit, and dress. Accessory would include helmet with goggles and Equalist glove.

Korra wouldn't be able to pull off the doll look, it's not her. Also she would require a doll body build different from Barbie. She would be more of an action figure.

Yes, then we can have Maken leave Asami for kung-fu action Korra.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012 02:23 pm by Singe » Logged
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1690 on: Nov 03, 2012 02:48 pm »

Asami does come off as this show's own version of Barbie. Three outfits: her default clothing, swimsuit, and dress. Accessory would include helmet with goggles and Equalist glove.

You forgot height....

Have you ever seen a short or average sized Barbie?

^ Then again, Korra's pretty much a idiot concerning what her own actions accidentally do to others. I like to think she's semi-grown out of it by Book 2.

Korra's not alone in that. The vast majority of people in real life and in the Avatar world are like that.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1691 on: Nov 03, 2012 04:26 pm »

^ It got 100.000 Likes on Facebook and it was the most watched episode of Korra.

That has to count for something.

It does, but what I'm questioning is how we know that releasing the episode early online affected that. The premiere was a success, but then LoK's rating trended downward without the expected massive resurgence for the finale. It's possible that, if we try to apply a line to that movement, the premiere would have gotten even better television ratings if the episodes weren't released online first. (It's unlikely, I'll grant, but I'm just showing how the case can be different.)

It's mostly numbers for the advertisers, but it's important to note that numbers aren't everything. The advertisers who support Nickelodeon sell products to a certain demographic- kids of a certain age group. Depending on the show, the age group may go up or down, it may be focused one gender or another, but there's always an expected audience that the advertisers are interested in reaching. If a show on Nick has great ratings, but it's all amongst low-income senior citizens, then the advertisers will be unhappy and the show will still get canceled.

It's how Batman Beyond died. Huge ratings, but it was all college students and so was a lousy venue for advertisers more interested in a lead-in to Pokemon.

Merchandise related to a show can also be a factor- Hasbro and The Hub, I'm looking at you- but it depends on each individual property. Nick apparently doesn't care about releasing LoK merchandise, so for them it's either all success with advertisers, or else just the idea of building up a valuable property. For an illustration of the latter, Disney bought Marvel Comics not because they cared about selling comics, but because Iron Man is a gajillion dollar property who can be used in a variety of ways.

Thus far, Nick has done nothing worthwhile with Avatar as a property besides Nighty's TLA. I'm curious what they intend for the future. (And don't bother bringing up the Dark Horse comics. Comics, even in bookstores, are chump change.)

Yeah, as far as I can figure, it would only have word-of-mouth benefits as the fans who saw the episode early would talk it up to their friends, and that's why I don't think the online premiere's effects can be measured.

Singe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1692 on: Nov 03, 2012 05:47 pm »

A Korra game. Something along the line like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance series. The story line could have multiple branches to allow What If like if Korra hooked up with Bolin.

Korra could be like her real show self. You see her gaining EXP but she's not leveling up.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2012 05:50 pm by Singe » Logged
ahintoflime
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1693 on: Nov 03, 2012 06:08 pm »

Korra could be like her real show self. You see her gaining EXP but she's not leveling up.

You mean you see her level up but in the process she loses experience.

If anything it'll end up being rather silly like the past Avatar games, rather disappointing really but in the game market nowadays if you aren't a sequel, expansion of an mmorpg, or "like God of War/Assassin's Creed/ BUT" you're game's just not gonna cut it.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1694 on: Nov 03, 2012 06:12 pm »

No no no, the proper model would be Korra gaining XP and leveling up, but the extra abilities that come with the levels have such subtle effects that have of the people who played the game argue that they don't do anything, while the other half keep pointing to a handful of new powers and saying they justify everything, even though you can only use them during certain quickevents and they don't fit with the gameplay at all.

Singe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1695 on: Nov 03, 2012 06:19 pm »

No no no, the proper model would be Korra gaining XP and leveling up, but the extra abilities that come with the levels have such subtle effects that have of the people who played the game argue that they don't do anything, while the other half keep pointing to a handful of new powers and saying they justify everything, even though you can only use them during certain quickevents and they don't fit with the gameplay at all.

Maybe like Dagger/Princess Garnet from FF9. She had the Summon Spells but was to low level to have the MP to cast them. Then later has all her Summons taken away and had to relearn them from scratch. Plus she was mute for a while.
Watertaco
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

One ring to rule them all.

« Reply #1696 on: Nov 04, 2012 09:24 pm »

^

1) No, I think the guy is not coming back. He only got lucky to get his hands on one episode and it didn't/won't happen anymore.

2) We don't know. But since Korra Nation's still arround I'd say our chances are reasonable.
How can we contact this guy?

Keeper of Hasook's Hair, Korra's boots, Azula's fingernails, and a Equalist gas mask!
QtheHarpy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1697 on: Aug 05, 2015 02:44 am »

I found her enjoyable until the whole Mako we were made for each other thing.
QtheHarpy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1698 on: Aug 05, 2015 03:15 am »

It's the fact she's so disrespectful MOST of the time. I don't mind the fact she's arrogant or naive that's cool. But being disrespectful is unbecoming. Only to apologize moments later. There's only so much I can take. Maybe they could've made the others more realistic by putting her in her place a couple times. If this was a guy it wouldn't be tolerated at all.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1699 on: Aug 05, 2015 03:40 am »

^Y'know, after rewatching the series a few times, I actually grew fond to Korra being angry at others. Because let's be honest, nine times out of ten, those people just deserved it. My only problem was that Korra always crept back to these guys and apologize, instead of going all out on them. Sometimes, you gotta' sh*t into others' soup and hurt their feelings for good, so that they can realize that they are dead wrong. Especially if you are surrounded by failwhale tier people like Tenzin and Raiko.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: