Aug 23, 2019 11:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Korra's portrayal -- negative reactions?  (Read 191486 times)
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« on: Apr 14, 2012 02:58 pm »

My family watched the Korra premier today, and the reactions of my parents were both quite negative.  Now, they had both seen, loved, and praised the original series, but are fairly annoyed with this one so far.

Because of Korra.  They found her exceedingly arrogant and obnoxious and my mother went so far as to say she was "difficult to watch."  When I explained that she's supposed to be this way in the beginning and that the show will see her spiritual development, she simply replied, "I hope so."  But still, by this point they'd already been left with a sour taste.

Hearing this opinion from both of them kind of struck home an underlying concern I had with the show.

It seems that most action movies and shows today that feature a female lead -- if they want to be successful -- depict a rebellious, often arrogant and sharp-tongued heroine.  While watching Korra during the Korra Nation premier, I was overtaken by the rush of excitement to be watching the show again, but even so, I was distantly aware that had I not been in love with the series already and been anticipating this show's release every day, I would probably have found Korra's character very frustrating and, dare I say it, unlikable.  Bratty.

(And even then I did, to an extent.)

I'm expecting her to improve.  This series is, I believe, a growing up story yet again.  We're only too episodes in, so there's a lot of room for that growth.  But now other voices have spoken my inner disapproval of Korra's personality thus far, and it bothers me because I know they are right.

I mean, Korra could have been portrayed as strong and capable without coming across as a jerk.  Katara did.  Suki did.  Toph, though likewise arrogant, also had a very sweet side, and was never obnoxious -- she was a delightful character.

I'm going to take a plunge into dangerous waters and theorize that if Korra's personality had been stuck onto a male lead, it would not have flown.  He wouldn't admirable, and we'd be eager to see him kicked flat on his cocky ass and taught a lesson in humility so we could finally start to care about him.  The problem I've noticed is that these same character traits become "cool" when slapped onto a female.

So, thoughts?  I really like this series so far, but this is something that's been nagging at me, and it's finally been brought to the front of my consciousness.  I hope to see her mature more in the future, and I'm leaving it to Amon to give her the wake up she needs.

Wow, it felt strange to type that.  I'm typically very supportive of everything this show does; I've criticized it so rarely that doing so now almost feels wrong.

But this is nonetheless something I must put forward.  I trust Mike and Brian to work this into a masterpiece, and I am optimistic that once it's all over, everything will make sense.

Thoughts, then?  Go ahead -- fire away.

UPDATE:

Now that we've seen seven episodes, I've really warmed up to Korra.  She's expanded as a character, and while she has remained hot-headed and brash, other aspects of her personality have emerged to round her out a bit more.  I started warming up to her in Episode 103, but 104 and 105 helped a lot.  I find that I can actually feel for her and root for her.

I am pleased.  /Ozai
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2012 09:45 pm by Fate » Logged
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:06 pm »

I don't think she is a jerk. I think that's just her personality. She is confident and strong. I personally love her character and personality. In fact at times I found Aang annoying. It must just be a matter of opinion.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
RCNano13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Howl is Not Amused

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:21 pm »

Um...Korra is like that because she's like that.

Of course she's arrogant.

She is:

1) The Avatar
2) She could bend three different elements before the age of 5
3) She's been sheltered for most of her life (hence her naivety)
3) She's a rebellious teenager
4) She's Korra, not Aang, Suki, Toph, Katara, ect

The question to you is, if we took away her arrogance, sharp-tongue, and rebellious personality, what would we have as a heroine?

Another Katara? Saw her.

Another Toph?

Saw her too.

Suki? I'll watch the original series, thanks.

Korra is going to mature. The whole point of the series is to balance out modern and tradition and to find the spirituality within herself.

You mentioned that she is "bratty" and a "jerk".

Toph was much more rebellious, obnoxious and a jerk than Korra (and an even more tomboy). But like you said, she had a sweet side.

Korra did show that.

When?

When she said good-bye to her parents, when she hugged Tenzin and his kids and how she went and apologized to Tenzin at the end of ep. 2. Or have you forgotten the scene where she hugged Katara?

She even gave a fish to a homeless guy (and not long after helped a shopkeeper).

Korra wants to be a great Avatar. Yes, she will make mistakes and has already made quite a few. In the end, she has a lot of soul searching to do which is pretty much the fundamental aspect of the series.

What kind of heroine would she be if she didn't have any weaknesses?

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:22 pm »

I'm going to take a plunge into dangerous waters and theorize that if Korra's personality had been stuck onto a male lead, it would not have flown.
Zuko was a bit of a jerk in season 1 of Avatar. Did people hate him immediately after the first two episodes? (honest question, I didn't discover the show until halfway through season 2). Though I guess that's different because he was the antagonist and therefore expected to be a jerk? (Or how about Zhao? Even more of an antagonist, but much more of an arrogant ass).

we'd be eager to see him kicked flat on his cocky ass and taught a lesson in humility so we could finally start to care about him.

I'd say that counts as being kicked flat on her cocky ass, don't you think?

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
RCNano13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Howl is Not Amused

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:23 pm »

^ I love those scenes! XD Korra sure was punished for being over-confident, huh? lol

cookiethief
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:24 pm »

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm of the exact same sentiment; I want to see no wrong with who Korra is and what she does, but I did find her actions in the first episode rather deplorable. The quick switch from a rather acerbic and heated argument with tenzin, to the "no hard feelings" apology less than a few minutes later in the episode didn't sit well with me. As well as her expecting to get out of jail free simply because Lin's mother was Aang's friend, and the seeming lack of regret about well... destroying quite a few things during the span of the episode.

however...

I do think this is an issue with the pacing of the episodes. Bryke is trying to put a lot more content into less time (12 episodes), and this is exactly the reason I'm afraid that character growth and characterization (and my own empathy/rapport with the characters) will suffer. We didn't really have this issue with the first series because Bryke gave them so much time to be silly. And we loved the fillers for that reason.

But I really see the potential in this. I praise her for being an utter badass - but if she were a friend, I'd probably find her really unbearable. But can you imagine? Right now, she is EXACTLY the stereotypical action female heroine (except for the oversexualized part): overconfident, grating, a bit overpowered in terms of physical strength. But this is JUST THE BEGINNING.

Bryke has broken the following (kind of superficial, but a good first step, nevertheless) gender barriers:
1. having a female lead
2. having a female lead of color
3. having an action heroine who is really really strong

What we haven't seen yet is:
1. a female lead who gains the characteristics that a male lead would be praised for (like you said, if animators/film makers ever decide to add a female to their show, she's usually way over-powered or abrasive, as if to say, yeah, see girls can be interesting too!)
2. a female lead who isn't just strong because of her own strength and bending powers, but because she learns to rely on others and to become a leader (rather than just being a vigilante). I mean, how many times have we seen a really strong heroine who stands above everyone else? (kim possible, wonder woman, angelina jolie,  it goes on). too many. Contrast how many times we've seen the development of a really strong female into a team leader on screen. These Bildungsroman stories are quite different.

I'm hoping that the creators know that Korra is a stereotype right now. Just because they included a strong female lead doesn't mean they've broken any significant barriers yet or gone beyond what the industry expects of female heroines.

But I hope your family comes to see the possibilities! Looking at Toph, katara, and azula, I have high hopes that the creators will take korra where no female lead has gone before.

dang, i wrote an essay. D: Sorry.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:24 pm »

What kind of heroine would she be if she didn't have any weaknesses?

The type of heroine that everyone would complain about for being a Mary Sue.

High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:27 pm »

Korra is rather entitled and really impulsive and prone to doing and saying things she soon regrets but her heart is in the right place, we've seen as much. So no she isn't a jerk, she just needs to learn to control herself and broaden her perspective.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 03:28 pm by High Elemental » Logged

Mslotrfanatic
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:27 pm »

Agree to disagree. In my opinion there are plenty of male leads out there with much more arrogant personalities than Korra. She's hotheaded and very determined, but no I don't think she's arrogant to the point of fault. She's not all "Airbending? Pshh. I've totally got this." She admits that she has a lot to learn with it from the beginning. She's determined to be a good Avatar, and that's why she wants to learn it badly enough to run away. And actually, she got knocked around quite a few times in the premiere when she first tried airbending. In the second episode when she was angry she told Tenzin maybe she didn't need it, but right after that she used airbending moves in the probending match, and later admitted to Tenzin that she was sorry for taking her frustration out on him. She went against what Tenzin wanted more than once, but I don't think that makes her arrogant either. Tenzin did realize that probending was something she needed, and in the end it helped her learn airbending. I think she knew it was something she needed all along. Just because she's opinionated doesn't make her bratty. And let it be said that a strong female lead is a huge step for cartoon shows. Both my parents and grandparents watched the premiere, and they loved it. I respect your parents' opinion but I don't agree. Korra's the exact opposite of Aang, but that doesn't make her a bad character. I expect we'll see a more vulnerable side of her in the future, and like you said, a lot of character growth, but I for one already love her character.  Smiley

Sorry I wrote like a book lol
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 03:30 pm by Mslotrfanatic » Logged

three-elements-down
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

one to go!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:29 pm »

i think she's a very realistic teenager...

dA | YT | t. | a-q | AW
Wordbender33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:32 pm »

While I agree with you that action heroines do tend to fall within the stereotypes you mentioned, I actually don't find Korra obnoxious or arrogant in the way that I often observe in the "butt-kicking, sharp-tongued" archetype. I think after being cooped up training for so long without many interactions with the harsh realities of the world, she's grown up a bit naive. She doesn't understand fully how the world functions outside the South Pole, which is exemplified by her arrival to Republic City where she doesn't know how to respond to the idea of distinct class differences, individuals who feel oppressed by benders, and how her title as Avatar can't always be used as an excuse for her actions when they cause destruction and other consequences for others.

Because Korra's I think used to being individualistic and thinking in terms of the present moment what is needed, and especially because she has not really embraced the spiritual aspect of bending, I don't think she has ever looked at the big picture before- how bending has contributed to much injustice in the world, how divided the world is, not only in terms of nationalities or bending abilities, but socially and economically as well, and what the role of the Avatar is exactly in bringing balance to all of these factors.

She's also brash and often reckless, as seen by her escape to the bending arena, defying Tenzin again and again. But while I don't think we've seen much of it yet, I think she's going to learn to listen to him more as she develops as an Airbender and as a person. She's all energy and action and I don't think she comprehends yet how her brash actions can have bigger consequences than she might've thought. I think learning all these things will be part of her character journey as she learns how to listen, how to consider others' perspectives and more.

I can't help thinking of the Gaang at their beginnings- Sokka, Katara, and Aang definitely all their jerky moments and mistakes too. Korra is flawed as well, but I find her likable in her enthusiasm and spirit-she feels more good-naturedly rambunctious than arrogant. Just seeing how she interacts with Bolin and Mako shows how capable she is in being friendly, showing support and concern for others, and willing to learn. She is badass like a lot of action heroines we see nowadays, but she's also awkward at times, confused, frustrated, inquisitive, willing to help others, and other times just funny Wink Yeah she's a badass Avatar, but she's also a teenager, and I wonder if maybe your parents are seeing in her characteristics of teenagers many adults struggle with anyway...

Overall I have confidence that Bryke will continue to develop her character in a way that will be satisfying...

Keeper of Zuko's "So when life gets hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich!" speech and Mako's "The scarf stays" declaration. Lover of poetry and all things nerdy and worth obsessing over.
KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:41 pm »

Korra's character is Korra's character. Toph I found was often bratty and arrogant as well with a sense of entitlement and was plenty rebellious against the strict confines placed on her, ask your parents how they rated her character. At least Korra has ignorance of the world as her excuse unlike Toph. Its only been two episodes, it really isn't enough to get all the facets of her character, including her sweet side, and as people have brought up what kind of character would she be if she simply conformed to a perfect set of standards? Her background also gives a very realistic depiction as to why she is the way she is, so it should be easier for the audience to be understanding.

I love Korra so far, I appreciate her spunk and her confidence even if I know her arrogance and hot-headiness are an issue, but it stamps her as a unique and memorable character nonetheless, especially as she can come off as playful and wide-eyed naive as Aang was. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for his quirky sense of humor I'd have never liked Aang as he would have come off too bland, and I found the pacifist argument rather drawn out by the end of the series after EVERYONE was telling him he needed to put it aside for the good of the world, and only got a last minute save from his responsibilities by the lion turtle. Even the Tibetans tried to fight the Chinese when they invaded, and monk Gyatso didn't have a bunch of fire nation skeletons around him by inviting them to eat fruit pies.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 03:44 pm by KrimzonStriker » Logged
momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:44 pm »

I see where your parents are coming from Fate, but Korra had an entirely different childhood than Aang so she was bound to be different. (I know you didn't mention Aang specifically but he shall be my foil)

The biggest, standout difference has got to be that Aang traveled the world and met many other benders who were obviously greater than him--at least at that point in his life. Korra on the other hand had clearly been sheltered, and I would bet had never met another bender she took really seriously as an opponent. (Katara maybe?) So she obviously would be at least somewhat narcissistic. It's got to be hard to essentially be the reincarnation of a god, and take others seriously (at first at least) unless when you're entirely detached like Aang was.

I actually enjoy that aspect of Korra, and I'm happy to she's different than Aang. Still, once she learns airbending, visits the spirit world, goes into the avatar state, I figure she'll be a bit less reckless. Plus, she's 16, she's not going to be all knowing, and worldly.

Sig by arasam22
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:45 pm »

Plus, she's 16, she's not going to be all knowing, and worldly.

Seventeen. Not that it makes a difference, just doing a small correction Smiley

KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:48 pm »

Add to learning that she was the Avatar at the age of 5 at the very least, when Aang and the others like Roku had time to develop their own sense of identity, whereas Korra grew up fed on the stories and legacy of her predecessors, especially her last one. Her basically having the mentality that she's a superhero isn't exactly unrealistic when you think about it. Only experience can really teach her otherwise that there's more to being the Avatar then kicking bad guys butts.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 03:49 pm by KrimzonStriker » Logged
gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Asami, the nonbending swagbender

« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:48 pm »

I don't really like her character right now either, but I think it's a byproduct of her upbringing and also probably her inner self.

She was in the South Pole, with probably no people her own age to be with. She learned everything quickly, easily passed her tests and was left alone. She was successful at everything her old 'world' required her to be good, with the exception of spirituality, which she sort of shrugged off. If you're really good at everything you need to do, and you naturally have a sort of brash personality (which she demonstrates when the OWL visits her), it's not hard to become arrogant.

Furthermore, it seems like she really got whatever she wanted. It seems like the first time she was really refused was when Tenzin said he couldn't come down to the SP and teach her. Her, "You have a duty to me too!" sort of statement really showcased how entitled she was. She had grown used to the idea that being the Avatar came with certain 'checkboxes', and she'd filled them so she should get what she wants now.

She obviously wants to do her duty which is admirable, but I don't think she really has an identity of her own besides- 'I am the Avatar'. Aang and Roku grew up as normal kids (at least till the age of 12) and were thereby treated like any other kid. Sozin pranked Roku, Gyatso messed with Aang+ Aang obviously had lots of friends back at the Air Temple, so they both learned how to just be another person, which explains why they were both so humbled by the title.

As to whether I like her: No, I don't. My personality is very different from hers and I really didn't like how she acted with Tenzin. It was just unbelievably rude. He just let you stay, instead of sending you back and then you call him a terrible teacher, don't focus on bending studies, disobey his orders, when he catches you- offend him even more AND finally, quickly apologize and not even help to rebuilt the 2000 year old apparatus that you destroyed!
>.<

In summary: I understand where she's coming from, and I agree that she'll grow, but I most definitely don't like her all that much now.

“Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'”
 -Alexander Dumas, The Counte of Monte Cristo

Icon by Plushu Smiley
KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:54 pm »

Admittedly it was more then a quick apology, she actually faulted her anger as being directed toward herself, which is understandable once again when she's been so good at everything else up till now. Taking your own inner-frustrations out on others often happens to people, so it wasn't 'unbelievable' for me. As for the 2000 year old apparatus, well, as stated she's grown up used to a lot of perks, this would be the normal response to her I would think.
Fate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avvy made by caves.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2012 03:57 pm »

Zuko was a bit of a jerk in season 1 of Avatar. Did people hate him immediately after the first two episodes? (honest question, I didn't discover the show until halfway through season 2). Though I guess that's different because he was the antagonist and therefore expected to be a jerk? (Or how about Zhao? Even more of an antagonist, but much more of an arrogant ass).

Some jerks make good characters--especially when antagonists.

Cocky alone isn't the issue.  (Han Solo, for example -- we all loved him).  The problem is this:

I praise her for being an utter badass - but if she were a friend, I'd probably find her really unbearable. But can you imagine? Right now, she is EXACTLY the stereotypical action female heroine (except for the oversexualized part): overconfident, grating, a bit overpowered in terms of physical strength.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to further address cookiethief's excellent post:

Bryke has broken the following (kind of superficial, but a good first step, nevertheless) gender barriers:
1. having a female lead
2. having a female lead of color
3. having an action heroine who is really really strong

What we haven't seen yet is:
1. a female lead who gains the characteristics that a male lead would be praised for (like you said, if animators/film makers ever decide to add a female to their show, she's usually way over-powered or abrasive, as if to say, yeah, see girls can be interesting too!)
2. a female lead who isn't just strong because of her own strength and bending powers, but because she learns to rely on others and to become a leader (rather than just being a vigilante). I mean, how many times have we seen a really strong heroine who stands above everyone else? (kim possible, wonder woman, angelina jolie,  it goes on). too many. Contrast how many times we've seen the development of a really strong female into a team leader on screen. These Bildungsroman stories are quite different.

I'm hoping that the creators know that Korra is a stereotype right now. Just because they included a strong female lead doesn't mean they've broken any significant barriers yet or gone beyond what the industry expects of female heroines.

You articulated the issue very well.  And yes, breaking those first gender barriers just isn't enough.  However, as you also mentioned, I too have hope that we will see Korra taken in a great direction.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 04:00 pm by Fate » Logged
nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #18 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:03 pm »

^ Agreed on all points up there.

My family watched the Korra premier today, and the reactions of my parents were both quite negative.  Now, they had both seen, loved, and praised the original series, but are fairly annoyed with this one so far.

Because of Korra.  They found her exceedingly arrogant and obnoxious and my mother went so far as to say she was "difficult to watch."  When I explained that she's supposed to be this way in the beginning and that the show will see her spiritual development, she simply replied, "I hope so."  But still, by this point they'd already been left with a sour taste.

Something REALLY simmilar happened to me and my mom as we watched the show. As a result we both agreed and admitted a bit of frustration on Korra's character so far. That, however might have more to do with us personally and preference rather than anythig else.

I mean, Korra could have been portrayed as strong and capable without coming across as a jerk.  Katara did.  Suki did.  Toph, though likewise arrogant, also had a very sweet side, and was never obnoxious -- she was a delightful character.

About Toph personally, from the start I was never found of her overconfident and bratty side... and I found her and Korra, specifically, shared these qualities from the beginning.

The thing about Toph is that she had a unusual/original feeling to her and a witty-almost-sarcastic side and humor that made her incredibly endearing quite soon -at least to me. Her blind jokes were pure gold and most of all her interaction and chemestry with other characters made me grow to appreciate her a lot despite any arrogant and bratty traits. Maybe something simmilar can happen with Korra that will change my view on her, it's soon to tell and there's a lot to go throuh yet.

I'm going to take a plunge into dangerous waters and theorize that if Korra's personality had been stuck onto a male lead, it would not have flown.  He wouldn't admirable, and we'd be eager to see him kicked flat on his cocky ass and taught a lesson in humility so we could finally start to care about him.  The problem I've noticed is that these same character traits become "cool" when slapped onto a female.

So, thoughts?  I really like this series so far, but this is something that's been nagging at me, and it's finally been brought to the front of my consciousness.  I hope to see her mature more in the future, and I'm leaving it to Amon to give her the wake up she needs.

But this is nonetheless something I must put forward.  I trust Mike and Brian to work this into a masterpiece, and I am optimistic that once it's all over, everything will make sense.

I gotta say that I DO understand your point of view and must confess that I do sense some of this "being unusually strong, arrogant and cocky is cool because she's a girl" feeling from Korra. But, like you, I trust Bryke to do well... it's way too early to really judge her character yet.

I'll be honest, if it wasn't for his quirky sense of humor I'd have never liked Aang as he would have come off too bland, and I found the pacifist argument rather drawn out by the end of the series after EVERYONE was telling him he needed to put it aside for the good of the world, and only got a last minute save from his responsibilities by the lion turtle. Even the Tibetans tried to fight the Chinese when they invaded, and monk Gyatso didn't have a bunch of fire nation skeletons around him by inviting them to eat fruit pies.

I guess that's where we disagree. I thought one of the very best things about Aang is that he was resolute in sticking to his beliefs by the end and didn't allow the dire situation and hard decisions he was facing keep him from doing so. It was also INCREDIBLY refreshing, at least to me, having a pacifist hero in an epic/action/adventure series  like A:TLA

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 04:05 pm by nukilik » Logged
candybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:03 pm »

That's kind of how I felt when I watched the episodes for the first time. I couldn't stand how Korra treated Tenzin and at the same time I felt like the writing was favoring her too much - that's why it initially left me not liking Korra. But the more I watch it (and Atla) and think about it, I don't think that the writers were, in any way, condoning her behavior. I think I misjudged it because I'm so used to shows rooting for the kid character who won't put up with the grown-ups' boring crap and praising their disrespect. Korra's pride and sense of entitlement have already been taken down a notch, and there's plenty of room for her to mature in those respects and in others.
KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:08 pm »

I guess that's where we disagree. I thought one of the very best things about Aang s that he was resolute in sticking to his beliefs by the end and didn't allow the dire situation and hard decisions he was facing to keep him from doing so. It was also INCREDIBLY refreshing, at least to me, having a pacifist hero in an epic/action/adventure series  like A:TLA

I grew up on superhero shows. We called this person Batman, Superman, stupid Giant-man/Ant-man from the  Avengers cartoon etc etc. There's nothing refreshing about a pacifist hero who stubbornly stuck to that belief even at the expense of everything else, even those he/she cares for.

I'm going to take a plunge into dangerous waters and theorize that if Korra's personality had been stuck onto a male lead, it would not have flown.  He wouldn't admirable, and we'd be eager to see him kicked flat on his cocky ass and taught a lesson in humility so we could finally start to care about him.  The problem I've noticed is that these same character traits become "cool" when slapped onto a female.

He was called Zuko I believe. I could name a dozen male characters who have had this problem. And who says Korra's not in for a lesson in humility? Have you seen some of the trailers for the episodes coming up?
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 04:11 pm by KrimzonStriker » Logged
Xagzan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:08 pm »

Sure hearing a lot of this "bratty" stuff regarding Korra. I can understand it, but I just don't see her that way.

She's a naive, sheltered girl with power that would go to any normal teenager's head. Probably any normal person's head, for that matter. Thankfully, it's only made her overconfident and headstrong, not greedy or arrogant, demanding everyone be her slaves. And for that, I just see her as a rather clueless little fish going into the big pond for the first time; she thought she was the most kickass fish in the little pond, but now she's got a whole new world to contend with. And you just know she's going to get in over her head and get her ass kicked a few times, because she doesn't know any better.

But despite that, you can tell her heart's ultimately in the right place, and taking all those things into account is what makes her pretty endearing to me. And you can tell, Tenzin's probably going to feel the same way, if he doesn't already.

Will she have "bratty" moments? Yes, but I don't think they will be abundant or bad enough to define my view of her.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 04:10 pm by Xagzan » Logged

nukilik
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I tried!

« Reply #22 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:13 pm »

~ post editet into irrelevancy. Sorry~
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 04:28 pm by nukilik » Logged
KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:18 pm »

I might be wrong but I would'nt consider Batman or Superman to be pacifists in the same way Aang is at all? Don't know Ant-man though.

They may have different approaches then Aang, Batman certainly more then Superman anyway, but are you really going to argue they weren't stubbornly against the idea of killing throughout their respective series and animated versions? One of the best parts of certain animated iterations of Superman and Batman for me was the controversy and admittance that deep down Superman and Batman have both had moments of doubts in their philosophies and desires to finally end their respective arch-nemesis so they never hurt anyone else again. And Ant-man/Giant-man from Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes is actually even worse then Aang in many respects.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012 04:21 pm by KrimzonStriker » Logged
joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2012 04:24 pm »

I like Korra for the very reason's that everyone's parents seem to dislike her. (My Mom hated Toph btw.) It just makes Korra seem realistic. Especially her meeting with Chief Bei Fong, that was a very immature and teenage thing to do.

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: