May 26, 2017 05:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grieves Does Avatar Art: 14/07 Older Katara  (Read 21700 times)
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Apr 05, 2012 07:10 am »

Expect this thread to grow. But until that happens, here's something I whipped up tonight.

'Tahnoooooooo!'
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2015 09:08 am by Mr Grieves » Logged
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2012 07:17 am »

The city in the background reminds me of that Omashu picture you did.

I like them both.  Smiley

Sig made by Dorky.
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Genji got NO chill

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2012 11:26 am »

*flails*

OMG I love the style of this! And once again, your cityscapes are a sight to behold. Nice work Grin

guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am »

you've finally gotten round to attacking the fan art/fan comics section!! everyone, run!!
that's way cool, love your black and white style and your awesome attention to detail! Cheesy
can't wait to see this thread grow!!

Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2012 04:12 pm »

This gun be the art thread that dominates.

djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2012 06:14 am »

'Tahno' is totally what he's thinking. It's what I'm thinking anyway. Nice to see this here, btw Smiley Looking forward to some new art from you!

iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2012 09:21 am »

That's so cool! I love the style of the background.

Sigs are for the weak
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2012 06:23 am »

Thanks for the plentiful comments everyone Wink

Noirsam: I'm glad you like them both because I only like the Mako one Cheesy But yeah, that was probably a little bit of a conscious effort to improve upon that Omashu picture - which I don't like!

PBF: Hold onto your hat. My cities are about to get a whole lot...scapier.

GF: Glad you like the details. I guess the city is somewhat detailed, but on the other hand, Mako has a question mark for an ear (not that I'd have it any other way of course).

Ubernoob: I hope so. You with me for the long haul? Cos this train is building momentum (I hope...depends how many more ideas I have Cheesy).

'djiiinnnnnnn!': Good to see you found the place ok. Should be plenty more new art where this came from!

Washer: Ah yes, the backgrounds. The one thing that justify my lack of ability to draw people.

A couple of older bits and bobs here. Because my main motive for this update was to plug my deviantART account~ Check me out and liven the place up a little if you want.

Anyone who follows my thread in Creative Works will have seen this already, but here it is for all you shy guests who will no doubt click that link and be denied access - sorry guys! I love all of you though~ You'll have to sign up and view it one day. And yes, before you ask, it does contain nudity.

Mako and Bolin hanging out, looking dejected on a bridge in R-City. Background by me, little Mako and Bolin added in by Kataang Forever's Lex.

I promise I'll have new things next time. But until then...comments and critiques very much appreciated, especially since I know there's some vastly more experienced Avatar fanartists in these parts.

Also wow, you get a lot of views up here :O
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2012 06:29 am »

R-City is totally what I'm going to be calling it from now on  Cool I like the high-rise, claustrophobic feel of the city as it surrounds two street-wise, down and out kids. Mako and Bolin look like they're contemplating how much their life sucks whilst being in such amazing surrounds as R-City. I like it Smiley

Appa I have seen before but he's still very pretty Smiley

Great job, Mr. Grieves!

LittleBigPerson
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

One does not simply deny Sackboy's adorable smile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2012 09:59 am »

....WOW. Shocked

Now this is some amazing art.

I particularily like the contrast between black and white that you work with.  I don't quite know how to describe it, but it's really unique and I love it. Grin

Keeper of Tenzin's glorious beard, Korra's "Woo Hoo!", and Aang's "Everything is Connected."  Toph13139 and I are twins, even our hugs are fueled by twin power. Grin
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2012 10:36 am »

ah! love his question mark ear!! XD

appa of course looks awesome~
and r-city looks freaking amaaaazing, i dunno if a colored one would look better, but i must say, you rock the whole black and white thing! and your friend who drew in mako and bolin did a fantastic job too! tell that to her for me! Tongue

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2012 02:22 pm »

I love your style so much!

Especially in the first one. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what...

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2012 02:42 pm »

I really can't think of anyone else on this site that uses negative space this professionally.

iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2012 03:23 pm »

I love the way you draw the city. The black and white looks really cool, too.

Sigs are for the weak
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2012 07:33 pm »

I loved the Mako and Bolin one on the bridge.

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Genji got NO chill

« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2012 02:18 am »

I'll never get sick of that Appa pic ^.^

The Brolin pic is fantastic. Another lovely cityscape with a lovely depiction of my favorite bending brothers :3

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2012 10:11 am »

Thank you all for checking this thread out and commenting Grin Now, to responses:

djinn: I thought I may have been on to something with the R-City call. Feel free to make that a 'thing'. Yeah cool, glad you liked all that. I really wanted the bridge and its surrounds to have the feel of a festival after everyone had gone home.

LBP: Always nice to have you stop by - I don't know what that's called either Cheesy

GF: Its his head is asking you a question. I always struggle with colour, though I guess this one could possibly use some. While I'm telling her that, I should probably tell you that she loves your pro-bending graphics.

Stu: You mean the Mako one? Someone elsewhere raised the graphic novel and film Persepolis as a comparison if that helps.

Ubernoob: That means a lot to me man. I really try to utilise it well, especially since my style of fanart is (apparently) more focused on the world and setting than the characters, allowing me a lot of opportunities to try out those sorts of compositions.

Washer: Thanks, I was always a little self-conscious about posting so much black and white stuff but if it continues to go down like this I won't be!

duckie: Thank you, good to see you in here!

PBF: Is there another pair of bending brothers that I'm forgetting? Cheesy Oh hell, these two would probably still win anyway.

This is a little (seriously, this and the Mako one are actually pretty small on paper!) pen doodle of the South Pole and the night sky above it. Criticism and comments would be appreciated~

PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Genji got NO chill

« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2012 02:22 pm »

Oh wow. Oh WOW Shocked This.... this is gorgeous. I really like this. Nice work Cheesy

Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2012 09:34 pm »

I LOVE the south pole "doodle." That is some seriously great black and white art. I love the way you did the sky, the swirling lines and dots evoke the aurora and stars in such a wonderful way, which is especialy impressive given that the aurora are all about colorful light, and this piece is black and white. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I like your art.

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2012 03:54 am »

oh lolzers, im assuming you dropped her a link to my graphics? Cheesy tell her thanks, i appreciate it! Smiley

this piece kinda of makes me think of the northern lights, beautiful piece!
i really like those alien-looking words you added on one of the diagonal lines too Tongue

py
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

not tomorrow

« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2012 10:14 pm »

This is a little (seriously, this and the Mako one are actually pretty small on paper!) pen doodle of the South Pole and the night sky above it. Criticism and comments would be appreciated~

As usual, your attention to detail is amazing.  I bet if you used Ink your work would look really great, not that it already doesn't, but there's always something worth adding to your repertoire.  I really like how dynamic the lines are, as well as all the different styles of line work you did on the piece as well...

SUN
djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2012 10:38 pm »

Awesome, love it, want as a poster. Really badly.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2012 06:02 am »

PBF: Thanks! I always appreciate you stopping by.

Fleur: Ah thank you, I definitely was trying to go for an aurora feel with the sky. I didn't use any specific references however, so it was more of a loose thing I suppose.

GF: I drop everyone a link to your graphics - and not just on the internet either. Glad you noticed those strange symbols I threw in too - I was worried they would just get swallowed up by the starts, if you will.

py: Thanks for the comment. I agree completely about the ink, and its actually something I've dipped my toes into for the very first time today.

djinn: You could always drop me a line and I'll see about sending you something...? Grin

Ah ok, so I bought some brushes and Indian ink the other day and I got round to trying it out for the very first time today. This one is a pretty direct reference but I was looking for feedback about the use of ink because I actually have very little idea about how to use this stuff properly.

Thanks~
guitarfreak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bamfs~

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2012 06:07 am »

haha, whaaa?

im afraid i have no idea about using ink either XD
but i think this looks fantastic~
the only thing i've got to say is that her right eye is a bit off, but i understand that using ink, you can't re-do it
maybe try coloring this? or get someone to do it for you? i reckon that'd be even more awesome Cheesy

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2012 06:09 am »

the only thing i've got to say is that her right eye is a bit off

The eye on her right our right? Because there's a case against both of them I imagine Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: