Dec 14, 2017 01:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legend of Korra Trainspotting  (Read 41058 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #300 on: Feb 08, 2015 06:43 am »

Otherwise Legend of Korra falls into the radar because Book 2 was made by Japanese animation studio, in Japan, but not for Japanese audience.
Half of Book 2, actually. What does that make it? Half-anime, half-cartoon? =P

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #301 on: Feb 08, 2015 07:28 am »

Otherwise Legend of Korra falls into the radar because Book 2 was made by Japanese animation studio, in Japan, but not for Japanese audience.

Makes things more confusing, huh? Cheesy
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #302 on: Feb 08, 2015 03:30 pm »

A.. A half-breed!

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Solid Sun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

dio did nothing wrong

« Reply #303 on: Feb 08, 2015 03:36 pm »

It's an abomination !

Featuring : Polaris, Zyrax HikaruIzumi, Blue Warpath, Prophet of Doom, Weegee the Airbender, TyLuko4Ever, Johan, Riptide, SunxFire and AtoMaki : D
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #304 on: Feb 08, 2015 04:20 pm »

In English, at least, the word "anime" refers to an animated series conceived of and produced (in terms of funding, distribution, final packaging, etc) by Japanese.

The correct definition of Anime the way we, westerners, use is "Japanese animation, made in Japan, specifically for Japanese first and foremost."

Half of Book 2 had the animation production (not the other parts, like storyboarding, writing, art design, etc) done by a Japanese animation studio.  But that has happened before.  The recent Thundercats cartoon had animation production by a Japanese studio, and even Batman The Animated Series had animation done by a Japanese studio.  Simply having a Japanese studio involved at some point in the production does not make something anime, either.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #305 on: Feb 08, 2015 04:53 pm »

Besides, a lot of anime is done in Korea, now.

I stand by my point of Japanese management and primary audience being the deciding factors.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #306 on: Feb 08, 2015 05:17 pm »

Besides, a lot of anime is done in Korea, now.

I stand by my point of Japanese management and primary audience being the deciding factors.

This is what I tried to say but failed apparently because --

In English, at least, the word "anime" refers to an animated series conceived of and produced (in terms of funding, distribution, final packaging, etc) by Japanese.

The correct definition of Anime the way we, westerners, use is "Japanese animation, made in Japan, specifically for Japanese first and foremost."

Half of Book 2 had the animation production (not the other parts, like storyboarding, writing, art design, etc) done by a Japanese animation studio.  But that has happened before.  The recent Thundercats cartoon had animation production by a Japanese studio, and even Batman The Animated Series had animation done by a Japanese studio.  Simply having a Japanese studio involved at some point in the production does not make something anime, either.

I wasn't saying Legend of Korra was an anime.

Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #307 on: Feb 08, 2015 06:41 pm »

So I was basically agreeing with you then!
stag019
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #308 on: Feb 10, 2015 11:19 am »

Good to know you guys are clinging to an arbitrary definition that you have to keep redefining to become more specific when your original definitions fail to meet certain preconceived notions of what the word means to you.

I'm going to keep letting the usage define the word, instead of making people use the word to the definition you pick for it.

This is pretty relevant. Just replace "literally" with "anime".
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #309 on: Feb 10, 2015 07:38 pm »

Considering that I spend more time on the internet attempting to efficiently exchange words with other people, and try to limit how often I go outside... no, that comic is not relevant, meaningful, or particularly insightful.

I'm also fine with judging people and their intelligence based on their ability to use proper language. So I'm happy, you're happy, we're all happy, what's the problem? Tongue

Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #310 on: Feb 11, 2015 02:07 am »

Happy or not, I'm going to have to ask you to put an end to this 'what is anime' debate.

I'm sure there's a D&D thread for it somewhere or something.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #311 on: Feb 14, 2015 01:45 am »

PBS Idea Channel has an interesting video about fan fiction and shipping, and uses Korra as the main example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3uDwOQPLKU

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
Runamuck
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #312 on: Jun 03, 2015 11:56 am »

Hmm… It looks like there is a new game on Nickelodeons website with The Legend Of Korra guest stars.
http://www.nick.com/games/nickelodeon-soccer-stars.html
Who would have thought that Korra and Asami liked soccer. And apparently Republic city has a team named Republic City Rebels.
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #313 on: Jun 19, 2015 04:11 pm »

So the first trailer for Kung Fu Panda 3 just came out, and at the end in the cast listing, JK Simmons' name is there!  I find it pretty cool that he's doing more voice work for a martial arts franchise.  I wonder if his work as Tenzin helped him land this role. Grin

Edit: Apparently he's playing the villain!
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2015 04:14 pm by Red Hawk » Logged
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #314 on: Jun 20, 2015 09:16 am »

Korra goes Max Cheesy. Hiroshi is just... ungh... genius!

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2016 12:15 am »

He's an evil industrialist--but also a musician!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPVclXvrTPA

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #316 on: Aug 31, 2016 06:40 pm »

I believe we found Korra...

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: