Aug 20, 2017 09:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Legend of Korra Trainspotting  (Read 39072 times)
NextFireBend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King Spider-Man.

« Reply #275 on: Sep 22, 2014 02:20 am »

Some kid on the Teens React to Nicki Minaj - Anaconda video, just talked about Legend of Korra and referenced Vaatu.

Or he watches Glee idk.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #276 on: Sep 22, 2014 02:27 am »

Yeah I saw that earlier but it's a pity there were only two references to TLOK. =(

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SpiritWatcher
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tank-kun

« Reply #277 on: Sep 22, 2014 02:46 pm »

Game Theory had an episode in which a screenshot of Korra moved across the screen. It was in the two videos regarding Rosalina, but I can't remember where or which one right now. >.<

I am a spirit. An adrift soul ever strayed. Heaven lost I watch.

Keeper of the Avatarverse scientific units Varricks (for energy I guess) and Zhu
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #278 on: Jan 04, 2015 06:26 am »

If you follow TheFineBros on YouTube, they got their staff to answer random questions... And this week was:

Q - "What anime would you like to see adapted into a movie"
A - "Legend of Korra"

*twitches eyebrow*

TLOK is an American produced cartoon!

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #279 on: Jan 04, 2015 08:05 am »

TLOK is an American produced cartoon!

But it is often listed as anime, due to it's anime influenced style and other Asian inspirations you find in it...

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #280 on: Jan 04, 2015 08:09 am »

But it is often listed as anime, due to it's anime influenced style and other Asian inspirations you find in it...
The definition of anime is "Japanese animated productions usually featuring hand-drawn or computer animation."

ATLA & TLOK do not qualify at all. Anime inspired does not equate to it being an anime itself.

Storia
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

#dictatorsumade

« Reply #281 on: Jan 04, 2015 09:42 am »

Well at least someone cares about LOK

Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #282 on: Jan 04, 2015 10:34 am »

The definition of anime is "Japanese animated productions usually featuring hand-drawn or computer animation."

ATLA & TLOK do not qualify at all. Anime inspired does not equate to it being an anime itself.

You are right, but many see it more relaxed. That makes an mistake not any better, but just google "Watch Avatar online", and most results will give you lists of shows that list TLOK and/or ATLA listed with anime. While the mistake is kinda excusable since Avatar is at least Anime influenced, they even list plain western animation as "Anime" as well, and not just in one place but in lots of places!

Me thinks there are folks out there seeing that lists and think "all that must be Anime then, cause when watchXYZWhateversOnline.com say so then it must be true!!1!!one!eleven"

Technically Anime is only for Japanese Anime (some say the word's origin is French, while others like wikipedia says it's from the English "Animation") *shrug*

The one Anime influenced show it's name I forgot, it is quite new, 3d computer animated, the title of the show is 4 seemingly random letters. And folks did complain that they want the Japanese Original with subtitles... not realizing that it's an Canadian (or USA) created Western animation!

//UPDATE

Also, I found this on the entry of German wikipedia on Anime:
In Japan selbst steht Anime für alle Arten von Animationsfilmen, für die im eigenen Land produzierten ebenso wie für importierte.

Translated, in short: "in Japan Anime means all Japanese produced animation series or movies, but also everything from other countries." And since the Japanese coined the word "Anime", it would not be wrong to go by their definition. And when the ones coining "Anime" define it as any animated series, I cannot see a fault in that logic.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2015 11:50 am by Rava » Logged

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #283 on: Jan 04, 2015 06:44 pm »

If it's not written, produced, and originally aired in Japan, it's not an anime. Even the Japanese didn't like the JP dub of ATLA and hardly consider it an anime. Ask any otaku and they'll tell you ATLA and TLOK are American produced cartoons.

Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #284 on: Jan 04, 2015 07:39 pm »

^
*points to quote from wikipedia above*
I use the quoted wikipedia entry to disagree with you.

And speaking of Otaku, that term is often used in western countries, seemingly a misinterpretation of how it is used in Japan. Similar with yuri, yaoi, hentai and whatnot. The definitions as used and in the original country that coined them, Japan, differs quite a lot as it is defined in western countries. I use most of these definitions as they are understood in Japan, like with Anime and Yuri.

Now, for Otaku. In Japan it only has negative connotations, not just an obsessed fan, but a social recluse, a shut-in, antisocial, unable and unwilling to have RL relationships.
Usually every site that informs you about Otaku in Japan discourages anyone to think of wanting to be seen as an Otaku in Japan.

In Japan, the term Otaku does not carry a positive meaning, at all. One of the first things most Japanese language classes often have to teach people is that calling yourself an Otaku in Japan is a very bad thing.

Did you use the term Otako as the Japanese use it? Then that is hardly an helpful argument...

And as a service just for you, are more accurate translation of the de.wikipedia quote above:
In Japan itself anime stands for all types of animation films, for those which were produced in the country and also for imported ones.

I cannot see anything wrong when going by the country's definition of the term that coined the term...
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2015 07:44 pm by Rava » Logged

yours Rava

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #285 on: Jan 04, 2015 08:34 pm »

And Wikipedia can be edited by anyone so all info from Wiki is taken as a grain of salt.

Anyway, Korra got mentioned in the video so yay.

Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #286 on: Jan 05, 2015 01:12 am »

And Wikipedia can be edited by anyone so all info from Wiki is taken as a grain of salt.

You are right on that, but the de.wikipedia is different from most others. It is full of people who remove edits and collaborations just because of minor technical mistakes, and in an amount that often experts in a certain area quit collaborating for de.wikipedia. Just found one part in a talk page where one expert said why the article is wrong and how it really is (it was about wet show), but he lacked any sources, he is just an expert in that area, works in that for decades. But it gets removed due to [citation needed], and instead wrong stuff remains. And also many medical folks quit de.wikipedia after they got aggressively told what minor technical mistakes they made, when they tried to expand and article in their few free time.

As far as I know, such Grammar and Rules "Nazis" on wikipedia on such level is only to be found on the German area. As much as that is bothersome and annoying, still it also means that de.wikipedia is a tiny bit better controlled against errors... </digress>

yours Rava

Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #287 on: Jan 05, 2015 10:48 pm »

Don't banhammer me bro, but... that's completely incorrect. The only thing anime means is animation - that's it. When a Japanese person uses the term anime they are referring to all animated features. Source: Japanese friends (three of which are animators - poor, starving animators), Japanese students, and Japanese teacher.

That said - many Western individuals feel that anime can only refer to animation produced in Japan. Which is hilarious, because half the anime people reference is animated in like Korea. On top of that is that I could probably post any number of pictures of anime and not have them called out even through they originated in like any place but Japan. Just... think of it more as a style of drawing - like Cubism or something.

Also... Otaku is not a good word... it is like basically calling yourself a Basement Dwelling Freak who has no touch with reality - see Paranoia Agent. Actually see anything by Satoshi Koh. Man I miss him... Such interesting social commentary.

Oh - source: Japanese friends, Japanese teachers, and Psychology class... See also the term Hikikomori.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #288 on: Jan 05, 2015 11:13 pm »

I think you guys are missing the fact that we have these things called languages. As in, more than one. Yes, the Japanese word for "animation" is "anime," but in languages that aren't Japanese, they have other words for "animation," and so if those other non-Japanese languages are using the word "anime" specifically, they're free to assign it another meaning. In English, at least, the word "anime" refers to an animated series conceived of and produced (in terms of funding, distribution, final packaging, etc) by Japanese.

There's a market and special distribution business in America for animated series produce by Japanese. The word anime applies to those. Applying it in another way is removing the purpose of even using the loan-word. If you use it incorrectly, you're one of those weird Japanophiles who insists on yelling "Baka!" at people. Tongue

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #289 on: Jan 05, 2015 11:36 pm »

^ Even that is up for debate though. Some people use it to refer to Japanese stuff, others use it to refer to all stuff in the same style as the Japanese stuff.

In manga, we even have this thing called OEL-manga (Original English Language), which refers to manga-style stories produced in the West... So I guess that makes Avatar an OEL-anime. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2015 11:39 pm by NeeNee » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #290 on: Jan 06, 2015 12:02 am »

In English, at least, the word "anime" refers to an animated series conceived of and produced (in terms of funding, distribution, final packaging, etc) by Japanese.
Eyup. This is my definition of anime.

Don't banhammer me bro, but... that's completely incorrect. The only thing anime means is animation - that's it. When a Japanese person uses the term anime they are referring to all animated features. Source: Japanese friends (three of which are animators - poor, starving animators), Japanese students, and Japanese teacher.
I'm a girl, dude. And I asked my brother who is also a Japanese student with a Japanese teacher and Japanese friends and they agreed with my definition. So it seems things are split in half about this.

At the end of the day, this is gonna be a free to disagree question.

Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #291 on: Jan 06, 2015 12:49 am »

Always nice to see when at the end of the day, it turns out two opposing POVs have been both right. There can be nothing better than that. Unless, that is, one of these persons wants to be the one being right, like always, just good you hardly see anyone like that on ASN for long. Grin

yours Rava

Pipcard
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #292 on: Jan 28, 2015 01:56 am »

The Great Uniter of Fashion

Otaku is not a good word... it is like basically calling yourself a Basement Dwelling Freak who has no touch with reality

(Not this again. Notice how in book 3 of Korra, the character that the writers named "Otaku" was very enthusiastic/obsessive about Air Nomad culture, but not to an overly creepy extent. He was also not the same person as the literal basement-dweller Ryu.

"I've always thought that this was unfair and something that needed fixing. Otaku-ism is not about being a slob with no friends any more than it's about being a serial killer. Although some otaku might be slobs or even serial killers, that's no justification for stereotyping all otaku as being like that.")
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015 12:19 am by Pipcard » Logged

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #293 on: Jan 28, 2015 03:37 am »

I hung around for about two years with two really good friends who lived almost their entire lives in France and Belgium. In the French language, anime is the word for all animation. On the other hand whenever my friends wanted to watch something specifically Japanese they'd say we gonna watch manga.

All my written material is free of any and all copyright, it can be used freely for everyone's inspiration
Red Hawk
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #294 on: Feb 03, 2015 01:58 am »

Did an argument of whether or not Legend of Korra can be called anime just happen?  Really?  This is an old question, that's been banging around since ATLA was airing.

Loopy is basically right.  Anime may just mean "animation" in Japanese, but languages adopting words from other languages and changing their meaning in the process is a thing that happens.  "Anime" in English is used to refer to animation conceived of and produced in Japan.  More technically, it could be used to refer to animation made with the Japanese animation production process, as the ways Japanese animation and Western animation are produced are very different behind the scenes.  But it does not simply refer to an aesthetic in art style or in storytelling.  There are many different styles within anime, and for all the serialized anime, there are also very episodic anime series (ie Cowboy Bebop).

But some people do tend to associate the word anime with art styles and storytelling serialization, so it's no surprise that someone out there would confuse Legend of Korra for anime.  Regardless, fans of the series should know better than to call it that.
stag019
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #295 on: Feb 03, 2015 02:23 am »

Loopy is basically right.  Anime may just mean "animation" in Japanese, but languages adopting words from other languages and changing their meaning in the process is a thing that happens. 
Yes, and that is exactly what is happening here. But you're missing a key point. As a language evolves, people tend to "misuse" words so much that their "meaning" itself changes. For example, typing "define literally" into Google will have the second definition saying "used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true". Basically, because people misuse the word "literally" so much, it's now a valid informal definition to mean "emphasis" rather than "being literal". Another example is being using "irregardless", which plenty will argue isn't a word, and yet because enough people use it, it's informally a synonym for "regardless". And who knows, maybe in another few decades, it these examples won't be considered "informal" anymore, but just natural language evolution.

"Anime" in English is used to refer to animation conceived of and produced in Japan.
As per the examples above, nowadays, more people are informally using the term "anime" to mean "animation inspired by anime". If people continue to use the word to have this informal meaning, eventually the "meaning" of the word will change.

"We're constantly evolving
It is constantly changing."
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #296 on: Feb 03, 2015 02:30 am »

^How can that be true if my imam told me that evolution is a lie made up by the kuffar to lure people into sin? It can't be true xD

But seriously, the dumbness of the internet changing the language of literacy into something else does leave quite a bad taste in my mouth. I know it can't really be helped but still.

All my written material is free of any and all copyright, it can be used freely for everyone's inspiration
stag019
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #297 on: Feb 03, 2015 07:31 pm »

But seriously, the dumbness of the internet changing the language of literacy into something else does leave quite a bad taste in my mouth. I know it can't really be helped but still.
My "literally" and "irregardless" example don't actually have much to do with the internet at all. I'd wager to say people "misuse" those two terms more often in regular speech than on the internet. As far as the "misuse" of the term "anime", that does seem to be particularly centered around the internet, but I'd wager to say people "miuse" the term in regular speech as well. As for how much though, that's an entirely different question.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #298 on: Feb 07, 2015 07:01 am »

Korra was ranked #10 by TheFungBros in this video about the Top Asian Female Characters of All Time. They do say the Water Tribe being based off Inuits and just left it there...? Okay.

Asami was also given an honorable mention at the start of the video too.

If I really wanted to nitpick, I would say the Avatar universe isn't the real world and technically doesn't have races, just the 4 nations. Still, nice to see Korra get mentioned on the internet.

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #299 on: Feb 08, 2015 06:00 am »

In English, at least, the word "anime" refers to an animated series conceived of and produced (in terms of funding, distribution, final packaging, etc) by Japanese.

The correct definition of Anime the way we, westerners, use is "Japanese animation, made in Japan, specifically for Japanese first and foremost."

Otherwise Legend of Korra falls into the radar because Book 2 was made by Japanese animation studio, in Japan, but not for Japanese audience.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: