Dec 14, 2019 10:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: - Mako Thread -  (Read 411705 times)
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5725 on: Jan 24, 2015 12:04 am »

But does Mako have honor?

Okay, he's a poor man's Zuko.  Cheesy

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #5726 on: Jan 24, 2015 03:24 am »

Now we only need a cute, busty and flirty girl like Jin to make the moves on Mako and sit back and watch Mako make a mess out of it too.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5727 on: Jan 24, 2015 05:51 am »

Now we only need a cute, busty and flirty girl like Jin to make the moves on Mako and sit back and watch Mako make a mess out of it too.

I could always do with more of those.   Wink

And yeah, Mako would mess it up.  He has the same luck with ladies.  Somehow women are attracted to him, and yet he is such a dork in person.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
KiSwordsman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5728 on: Jan 25, 2015 12:27 am »

Zuko 2.0!

I'm not going to get to into it because it's not the appropriate thread, however, that's exactly why I was never on board with Makorra, because it just seemed like a throwback to Zutara. With Mako being a scarless Zuko. And how the fan base of that particular ship practically permeated the fandom back in a day. Which of course is why I use to lump the two ships together. I no longer do that, but yeah.
Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5729 on: Jan 25, 2015 12:56 am »

Mako has Duty, which is similar but tied to a greater sense of obligation. He does stuff because it's his job.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5730 on: Jan 25, 2015 01:19 am »

Mako has Duty, which is similar but tied to a greater sense of obligation. He does stuff because it's his job.

I like that better than honor.

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #5731 on: Jan 25, 2015 02:13 am »

But. But. You can have a sense of duty in preserving your honor and you can fulfill your duty with honor.

I am too scared to imagine what Zuko 3.0, the lovechild of Mako and Zuko will be like.

Well, at least Mako ain't talking about destiny.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Molra
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Stories are everywhere.

« Reply #5732 on: Jan 29, 2015 10:14 am »

Yeah, but that's fandom for you. Characters like Amon, get a pass for all the things they did by the fan(girls), but not Mako who is, of course, scum of the earth that needs to die.  Roll Eyes  I think the perception probably has to do with Mako's love triangle situation being more relateable to the audience compared to an extremist group leader that de-bends people. Most people either have had personal romance related issues or known someone that did so that when we see the characters on screen make cringe-worthy decisions that regular people make it incites a more emotional (and negative) response.

But if you meant being mistreated by the writers, then I don't think he was the only character ill-used by the story's narrative.  Wink

I see your point. To be fair, I've always found that the triangle of book 1 was so ridiculously amplified in importance by the fandom. I've never got that. Maybe because I've been past this phase in my life, I've seen and lived so many situations where the implications of a triangle were so much more worsened in context than that, idk, for me the book1 triangle was a park and recreation thing, not to be taken too seriously.  After that kiss, many fans started to hate him, just him, I've always associated that to some kind of transfer, of identification, of projection - it's a common place situation after all and the intensity of that hate, omg.... I've always felt that so intriguing and interesting, so much more than the story in the screen itself. The fandom reaction was an over reaction, that's for sure.

"Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope."
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #5733 on: Jan 29, 2015 11:34 pm »

People say him turning Korra and Asami lesbian is like George Costanza which actually did happen, but ironicly what happened is something I could totally see happen with Bud Bundy.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
Dar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5734 on: Apr 05, 2015 11:50 am »

Kinda digging out a fairly old thread, but I thought I'd give this a shot.

Is there somebody around here that can tell me what kind of suit/uniform jacket Mako is wearing in Book 4? I just can't find a proper answer to this. But I want to know.
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5735 on: Apr 05, 2015 09:24 pm »

^ It definitely reminds me of Bruce Lee and Jacky Chan's outfits from their action movies. I think it's just a generic chinese outfit.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5736 on: Apr 05, 2015 09:48 pm »

I've tried finding out what the jacket is. It has some elements of a Mao suit- five buttons on the front, three on the cuffs- but the collar's different, Mako has less pockets, and traditionally the Mao suit didn't have other layers (whereas Mako's clearly got a second layer on underneath). These photos seem pretty similar though:

A 1950s jacket fashioned from a Western-style one into a Chinese style.

A modern Zhongshan suit.

A modernised Mao suit.

I think the last one looks especially similar, though the lower pockets are different. I don't know about the lower half of Mako's uniform, like those stocking things he wears.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5737 on: Apr 05, 2015 10:12 pm »

Damn. I'm not gonna lie. I'm all about wearing a well tailored suit, but I would love to try something like for a formal event.
Dar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5738 on: Apr 06, 2015 05:40 am »

I only needed to know about the Jacket. Thanks a lot for the references.

He is wearing some kind of spats over either knickers that are tightened below the knee or a 1940s style uniform pants, I'd say. I'm not so sure about it.
But the closest to his spats I could find would be US Navy ceremonial leggings.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2015 05:50 am by Dar » Logged
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: