Dec 15, 2019 06:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: - Mako Thread -  (Read 411841 times)
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #5700 on: Dec 23, 2014 10:44 pm »

^Considering how every relationship was handled in the show.. nope, it didn't bother me at all. I guess I kind of gave up on expecting any reasonable, logical, fleshed out interaction among "team Avatar" in LoK.

On the other hand, it's the perfect setup for that plot bunny I had where Mako is sent to infiltrate the Red Lotus by pretending to be a recruit, and then he's corrupted by what he finds within.

When do we get to read this?
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2014 10:46 pm by duckie » Logged

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
SunxFire
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Buurn!

« Reply #5701 on: Dec 30, 2014 10:43 am »

Literally nothing happened to Mako in the finale beyond his lightning bending of the spirit vines. Granted, that was easily one of the best moments of the whole finale (the whole show actually), but it still doesn't make up for the fact that he was shafted at the very end for the sake of Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding and the pointless Korrasami send off. We have no idea what happened to him or Bolin after the wedding Undecided

I personally wanna know if his arm will stay scarred like that from now on, cause if so, then Zuko has even more competition now Cheesy
Burn marks always make you look cooler.

winterlotus90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5702 on: Dec 31, 2014 03:58 am »

I just wanted to say that I loved Mako's character arc. He's always been selfless with his brother, but he became more caring and open towards other people as the show progressed. He's also become more transparent with his feelings. I like that Korra inspired him to become a cop and to make the final sacrifice that he did. I also think his love arc with Korra is genuine and real. He still loves her in the end, but probably felt uncomfortable professing that especially since she's been gone for so long. I love Makorra and Mako is keeping Makorra alive at this point in my life. He's done so much for her and I think he should have been treated a bit better in the end.
Gorrilian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5703 on: Jan 08, 2015 02:24 am »

From a writing perspective, I think it would have made sense for Mako to learn the ins and outs of combustionbending, so that the audience could see a bit further in. He may not have used it in the third season, but that would have just made Bolin's Lavabending that much more impressive. If he learned how to control it in the three years Korra was gone, it would have made more sense for him to be chosen as Wu's body guard. If he had learned to use it in short bursts, it would be like how the Avatar's of old used the Avatar State by dipping into it rather than plunging in. Then, it would have given more credence and hints to Mako's almost hidden character arc of finding who he is outside of being arm candy, being inspired by Korra, and eventually being her Battle-Buddy.

What do you think?

Hail the Storm!
WarriorMind556
Can't Create New Topics
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5704 on: Jan 08, 2015 03:06 am »

I hope he does. He is always unstable, guaranting him blowing up.
Gorrilian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5705 on: Jan 08, 2015 03:20 am »

I hope he does. He is always unstable, guaranting him blowing up.

That sounds like a result of Lightning Bending, and he has that pretty much down.

Hail the Storm!
Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #5706 on: Jan 08, 2015 03:41 am »

^learning (inventing?) the skill cost combustion man an arm and a leg, and just getting knocked on the head with a boomerang screwed it all up, costing him a whole lot more. it's a risky thing to just try, even without wrapping your head in sheet metal...

i could imagine a situation where Mako is bound and gagged, strapped to a cart like korra was, leaving nothing but his forehead to bend with. then have someone doing something cruel to Bolin or Korra in front of Mako, setting him off in a cold hot rage, sending his "NO!" combined with a profound deathwish out his forehead in the form of a combustion beam, and have him do it by accident..

but that would fit nowhere in the series. i guess someone could pick this bunny up and put it in a fanfic. i won't press charges Smiley

keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
Atren
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mostly read, rarely post

« Reply #5707 on: Jan 08, 2015 03:42 am »

No, although to be fair I hate combustionbending along with bloodbending. Not really fan of metalbending either, makes too lopsided stories and causes Avatar world to have ungodly amount of platinum.
Gorrilian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5708 on: Jan 08, 2015 04:17 am »

^learning (inventing?) the skill cost combustion man an arm and a leg, and just getting knocked on the head with a boomerang screwed it all up, costing him a whole lot more. it's a risky thing to just try, even without wrapping your head in sheet metal...

i could imagine a situation where Mako is bound and gagged, strapped to a cart like korra was, leaving nothing but his forehead to bend with. then have someone doing something cruel to Bolin or Korra in front of Mako, setting him off in a cold hot rage, sending his "NO!" combined with a profound deathwish out his forehead in the form of a combustion beam, and have him do it by accident..

but that would fit nowhere in the series. i guess someone could pick this bunny up and put it in a fanfic. i won't press charges Smiley

I was thinking he'd have to work his way up methodically from burning a hole through paper to burning a hole through paper across a room, to blowing up a stack of paper, to (skip several steps) finally producing explosive amounts of heat, but with full body armor while metal benders strap him down so he doesn't go flying.

On second thought, even if he was careful, it would have been an interesting reveal that Mako had his arm blown off years ago and had a prosthetic forearm the entire fourth season.

Hail the Storm!
Red Lotus Grandmaster
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5709 on: Jan 08, 2015 07:49 am »

Mike and Bryan confirmed in a Q&A that "most fire benders cannot learn combustion bending". They then go on to say that training can be extremely dangerous.
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5710 on: Jan 08, 2015 09:34 am »

^ Basically. And at one point they also said that there's a painful medical procedure involved. Combustion Man used to be a soldier in the Fire Nation army until he was injured and the procedure enabled him to use his firebending in a unique way. With P'Li's background as once being enslaved by a warlord, it's highly likely that she did not undergo that procedure willingly.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5711 on: Jan 08, 2015 11:14 am »

^ Basically. And at one point they also said that there's a painful medical procedure involved. Combustion Man used to be a soldier in the Fire Nation army until he was injured and the procedure enabled him to use his firebending in a unique way. With P'Li's background as once being enslaved by a warlord, it's highly likely that she did not undergo that procedure willingly.

What would that procedure be, getting the tattoos on their forehead?

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5712 on: Jan 10, 2015 12:38 am »

^ Not sure, but it's part of how Combustion Man got his powers, and that means P'Li definitely got hers the same way. Apparently Combustion Man got his from some kind of medical experiment after he was wounded as a soldier, judging by the trivia on his wiki page.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #5713 on: Jan 10, 2015 09:13 am »

Merged with the Mako thread 'cos of the discussion of Mako.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Gorrilian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5714 on: Jan 12, 2015 08:24 am »

So, the general feeling is that Mako shouldn't  combust-o-bend because it would raise too many questions and the answers would detract from the story? Surely, there could have been a way to stream line the explanation of all the technical hurdles he would have had to go through.

Mako:"I got the idea from Bolin to take note of the crazy powers the Red Lotus had. Turns out, if you can survive the early stuff, combustion bending isn't that hard to learn."
Korra: "Then why can't you swing a fire whip without coming across another combustion bender, huh?
Mako: "I said, if you survived. The tattoo is actually a burn. If you get any of first parts wrong, the heat doesn't stop at the third eye."
Asami: "Was nearly blowing yourself up so important?!"
Mako: "Well, it was worth it, until it landed me as Wu's body guard!".
Korra: "Speaking of which, does he usually take this long?"

To me that fits. I don't think it hurts the mystique of the technique that much.

Hail the Storm!
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5715 on: Jan 12, 2015 08:49 am »

^ Dialogue is pretty spot on there.

I just think that the technique itself is still rare and only really known among people who've directly experienced it or are knowledgeable about it. I also can't see many uses for Mako being able to blow things up with his mind. And I made myself sad saying that sentence.

He seems to get by fine with his firebending and lightningbending, so why give him another special skill?

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Gorrilian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5716 on: Jan 13, 2015 11:00 am »

^ Dialogue is pretty spot on there.

I just think that the technique itself is still rare and only really known among people who've directly experienced it or are knowledgeable about it. I also can't see many uses for Mako being able to blow things up with his mind. And I made myself sad saying that sentence.

He seems to get by fine with his firebending and lightningbending, so why give him another special skill?

Thanks about the Dialogue. I wish I was as good with whole fanfics.

As for why give him a special skill? Well, Mako's lightning seems to only be served during season finales and there would be plenty of times when he would need something with more impact, especially the colossus, when the fighters were still outside.

Hail the Storm!
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5717 on: Jan 13, 2015 07:30 pm »

^ Oh yeah, that's a good point. He wasn't able to do much until he was inside it with the others. I doubt his lightningbending would have worked when fighting it on the street, and of course firebending would be completely negated because of the platinum armor.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Gorrilian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5718 on: Jan 13, 2015 08:38 pm »

It would also be easier to use with booster rocketing, since that technique has evolved to use the hands a lot.

Hail the Storm!
winterlotus90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5719 on: Jan 20, 2015 08:32 pm »

Anybody else feel like Mako was severely mistreated throughout the show and didn't deserve the enormous amount of hate that he got? Sad
Rae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5720 on: Jan 20, 2015 09:29 pm »

Yeah, but that's fandom for you. Characters like Amon, get a pass for all the things they did by the fan(girls), but not Mako who is, of course, scum of the earth that needs to die.  Roll Eyes  I think the perception probably has to do with Mako's love triangle situation being more relateable to the audience compared to an extremist group leader that de-bends people. Most people either have had personal romance related issues or known someone that did so that when we see the characters on screen make cringe-worthy decisions that regular people make it incites a more emotional (and negative) response.

But if you meant being mistreated by the writers, then I don't think he was the only character ill-used by the story's narrative.  Wink
Alex Merser
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5721 on: Jan 23, 2015 01:15 pm »

I think, Bryke should made girlfriend for Mako (I see near him some clever, pretty and sweet person, but not action-girl, more like New wave-Disney princess), and write their relations as healthy and reliable. To show, that>
a) Mako learn his lessons about relations,
b) he is happy.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2015 02:57 pm by Alex Merser » Logged
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #5722 on: Jan 23, 2015 01:43 pm »

But Mako has been miserable for most of his life, pressured and challenged left, right and center. He doesn't know how to be happy. It's pretty much one of his defining character traits. That's why relationships aren't going to work out for him.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #5723 on: Jan 23, 2015 05:41 pm »

But Mako has been miserable for most of his life, pressured and challenged left, right and center. He doesn't know how to be happy. It's pretty much one of his defining character traits. That's why relationships aren't going to work out for him.

Zuko 2.0!

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5724 on: Jan 23, 2015 07:23 pm »

But does Mako have honor?
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: