Sep 20, 2017 05:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 105 (53.6%)
9 - 55 (28.1%)
8 - 26 (13.3%)
7 - 5 (2.6%)
6 - 2 (1%)
5 - 1 (0.5%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 1 (0.5%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 189

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [118] The Waterbending Master  (Read 18944 times)
Ba Sing Se
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Harlequinade Archivist

« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2007 02:57 am »

Something just came to me: during the battle, Katara flung knife-like ice sheets at Pakku that looked as if they can easily slice him in half.

Was Katara trying to kill Pakku or something?! Seems a little overboard, doesn't it?

Yeah it kinda does haha.  But I think it was shown to see how great a Waterbender Katara can be.

Master_Waterbender15
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Waterbending The Art of Beauty, Power, and Healing

15 Dan+Ariel
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2007 05:44 pm »

I think it was shown to show how angry she was, I also love this episode as this is my first post.  This is one of my all time favorites, I just love the beautiful animation of the gorgeous NWT city.  Its breathtaking.

I also like the little Zuko-Zhao story paralleled to it.  But the best part of the episode is the Katara and Pakku battle, two Waterbenders going at it, I loved it, and it is still one of my favorites of all.  I love the NWT characters and just the whole NWT itself, and the whole WT, oh yeah and Waterbending its the best!

Keeper of: Pakku's NWT Catamaran For His Southward Journey, Pakku's Amazing Water Spout, The Accepted Betrothal Necklace Pakku Gave to Kanna.
Rae
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007 03:03 pm »

A really good episode, especially the Pakku v. Katara fight. The only problem I had with it was that up until now Katara hadn't been shown to waterbend that much and when she did her moves weren't that..well ...strong? great? (the word escapes me) but then suddenly she gets really good - like magic. Seriously, where was all this skilled waterbending when the Northern Air Temple was going to be destroyed by the FN troops an episode ago? There was plenty of snow there do do more damage than breaking a couple of tanks.
otaku_ben
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

o_l_me_l_o
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007 10:12 pm »

Well one thing we've noticed with Katara over the past two seasons is that her bending strength fluctuates with her emotions. So he determination to beat Pakku probably helped her consentrate solely on her bending.

Keeper of:
Aang's Onion and Banana Juice
Iroh's White Jade Tea
Bumi's Mad Genius
Toph's Blind Bandit Persona
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007 02:09 pm »

933 DVD screenshots now up for this episode. Enjoy!
Roku851
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Got Venom? WE do.

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2007 03:56 pm »

If Katara would have been more careful on some of her moves she could have definitely taken Pakku down.  This is a very good episode and i love the music Iroh and the crew sing play.  I've learned how to play it on several instruments.

AWSOME sig by Katara360

KING OF THE OFF TOPIC THREAD.

"Don't tell GOD how big the storm is, tell the storm how big GOD is."-Dennis Paulson
Toph_gurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007 08:32 am »

Something just came to me: during the battle, Katara flung knife-like ice sheets at Pakku that looked as if they can easily slice him in half.

Was Katara trying to kill Pakku or something?! Seems a little overboard, doesn't it?

Yeah it kinda does haha.  But I think it was shown to see how great a Waterbender Katara can be.

Hi, this is my first time posting but newly addicted Avatar fan:).  just wanted to share my two cents with the whole Katara shooting ice sheets at Master Pakku.  I don't think she was trying to kill Master Pakku necessarily, but she knows she's going up against a Waterbending Master.  If she holds back in any way it seals her defeat and she would have no chance of defeating him.  Katara did admit to Aang and Sokka that she knows she's going to lose but she has to give everything that she has in that battle, without holding back.  Plus being a master and all, Pakku would be able to evade or sidestep the attack and i think she knows that as well.  If he can't do that then well, calling him "master" would be kind of pointless. 

Plus Master Pakku's facial expression after evading the first sheet of ice was more of an "impressive" look, then "oh my god she's taking this way too seriously". 

Overall, love this episode.  and finally they showed Katara at her best.  She wanted to learn waterbending more than anything, possibly even Aang.  Aang has to learn it because of the whole saving the world, avatar thing, but Katara WANTS to learn it and never gave up.
Roku851
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Got Venom? WE do.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007 05:42 pm »

Hi, this is my first time posting but newly addicted Avatar fan:).  just wanted to share my two cents with the whole Katara shooting ice sheets at Master Pakku.  I don't think she was trying to kill Master Pakku necessarily, but she knows she's going up against a Waterbending Master.  If she holds back in any way it seals her defeat and she would have no chance of defeating him.  Katara did admit to Aang and Sokka that she knows she's going to lose but she has to give everything that she has in that battle, without holding back.  Plus being a master and all, Pakku would be able to evade or sidestep the attack and i think she knows that as well.  If he can't do that then well, calling him "master" would be kind of pointless. 

Plus Master Pakku's facial expression after evading the first sheet of ice was more of an "impressive" look, then "oh my god she's taking this way too seriously". 

Overall, love this episode.  and finally they showed Katara at her best.  She wanted to learn waterbending more than anything, possibly even Aang.  Aang has to learn it because of the whole saving the world, avatar thing, but Katara WANTS to learn it and never gave up.

nice first post.  I completely agree.  Katara gave everything she had and even if she loses she shows honor by fighting in the first place.

AWSOME sig by Katara360

KING OF THE OFF TOPIC THREAD.

"Don't tell GOD how big the storm is, tell the storm how big GOD is."-Dennis Paulson
FRozenTacoGirl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

mfw korra

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007 08:45 pm »

xD  My favorite part was when Zuko blew up too.  Everytime I see that episode, I yell, "ZOMIJEEBS ZUKO'S BLOWING UP!!!"

..I wanna huggle him after watching that episode. 

zukosass.tumblr.com
adfi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Jun 21, 2007 01:53 pm »

The princess is so cute xD Feeled like sokka ^^,

Great episode anyway Wink!
But the ones after that suckd :/ when the princess had to "sacrifice" herself:( imean GAH!!. I even got sad:/
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2007 03:56 pm by adfi » Logged
Master_Waterbender15
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Waterbending The Art of Beauty, Power, and Healing

15 Dan+Ariel
« Reply #35 on: Jun 28, 2007 08:15 pm »

I loved this episode, AMAZING FIGHT SCENE!!! And the Kana story and the necklace history, all carefully woven in, I loved it, brilliantly crafted episode, but even more brilliant was the artwork, I love the NWT CITY!!

Keeper of: Pakku's NWT Catamaran For His Southward Journey, Pakku's Amazing Water Spout, The Accepted Betrothal Necklace Pakku Gave to Kanna.
Katara16
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Want some?

« Reply #36 on: Jul 13, 2007 09:43 pm »

I've watched this episode time after time and I wonder why it is I'm just noticing this, but I want to express it.

In the scene where Katara found out about Gran-Gran being a Northern Water Tribe native do you remember what Ugoda (I think that's how u spell) it told her:

"You're the spitting image of Kana!"

If that's true, I can't help but wonder whether or not Pakku noticed the resemblance and thought of it as a concidence or just pushed the possibility of a relation out of his mind.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2011 05:07 am by Katara16 » Logged

"No!  No!  I mean if it was a choice between kissing you and dying..."
"Ughhh!!"
"What?  I'm saying I would rather kiss you then die.  That a compliment!"
"Well, I'm not sure which I would rather do!" *stomps away*
"What is wrong with me?" *pouts*

LMBO
bassoonist193
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Jul 14, 2007 01:58 am »

I really like this episode!! I love the fighting, that is always intense!! They seemed to really put effort into this episode!! <3

^^^ I made this!
coolcamz18
Can't Use Avatars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Jul 14, 2007 02:50 am »

I really like this episode!! I love the fighting, that is always intense!! They seemed to really put effort into this episode!! <3
you can say that again Cheesy

Guess who's back?! Wink
well only for a little while.. :'(
I just miss my friends Grin
Waking _Dreamer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #39 on: Jul 14, 2007 08:39 am »

In the scene where Katara found out about Gran-Gran being a Northern Water Tribe native do you remember what Ugoda (I think that's how u spell) it told her:

"You're the spitting image of Kana!"

If that's true, I can't help but wonder whether or not Pakku noticed the resemblance and thought of it as a concidence or just pushed the possibility of a relation out of his mind.

Never thought of that, Im thinking he probably didnt notice it till after he picked up the necklace and heard the story. If i remember correctly Ugoda didnt realize until after she saw the necklace too. Its probably because it was such a long time ago, and never expected to see Gran-Gran again, let alone her granddaughter. So at best they probably thought of Katara as someone who had a strangely familiar face.

bassoonist193
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #40 on: Jul 14, 2007 03:11 pm »

you can say that again Cheesy

Haha, sorry, just had to say it one more time. ^_^

^^^ I made this!
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2007 08:18 am »

This wasn't the best episode, but it was really good, so I gave it a nine.
I'm glad to see that Katara didn't just get to learn waterbending. She had to fight to learn. I loved the Sokka/Yue romance, though it's not my favorite ship. I was also interested to learn more about Katara's necklace, and I agree with the creators in their commentary when one of them say "This is what I like about Avatar. Things that seem so innocent, actually play a part in the series." The animation of  this episode was also great.
Enter The Avatar State
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig by KataraTheWaterbender

spenderbomber_7@hotmail.com
« Reply #42 on: Jul 16, 2007 01:15 pm »

I didn't like how Sokka was so serious with Yue, with Suki out there...

Keeping: Sokka's armor, The Avatar State, all Waterbending and all Firebending
Tongone
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Jul 16, 2007 01:19 pm »

Well, Sokka didn't really seem too serious about Suki. I think he felt friendly towards her. He blushed because it was presumably his first kiss, and because it came out of nowhere. Yue, on the other hand, was sort of Sokka's first love. It was sort of obvious that he liked her.
Enter The Avatar State
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Sig by KataraTheWaterbender

spenderbomber_7@hotmail.com
« Reply #44 on: Jul 16, 2007 01:21 pm »

It was just awkward...

Keeping: Sokka's armor, The Avatar State, all Waterbending and all Firebending
PurpleAppa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"Together, we're Team Avatar!"

« Reply #45 on: Jul 21, 2007 09:30 pm »

okay, this has got to be one of my favorite bending dislays in the whole show! Katara totally kicks butt! This episode is also great for Sokka's personal growth in the show.I hate to admit it, but in all the episodes up until this one, All Sokka seems to do is make jokes and come up with plans. This episode really shows that he is growing as a person, although he doesn't usually show it.

Appa, Yip Yip!
SoraOfSkye
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

"My loyalty lies wherever I please..."

SoraOfSkye
« Reply #46 on: Jul 21, 2007 10:43 pm »

It was kind of expected of, after the talked about the necklace at Yugada's place, having Pakku as the waterbender Kanna was engaged to. And! haven't you noticed!? One of Pakku's students waterbending with him was none other than Han himself!! 

SageofWater
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Jul 24, 2007 12:08 pm »

This has got to be one of my favorite episodes of Season 1.  Master Paku is awesome (I rather like snarky characters like him.  As well as old people), and the fight between him and Katara is one of the most amazing and beautiful displays of Bending in the show.  The whole Sokka/Yue thing is really touching, and the end of the episode is amazing, with the shot of the entire Fire Nation navy.
Katara16
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Want some?

« Reply #48 on: Jul 27, 2007 03:24 am »

My favorite part was the feast, Sokka's attempt to start a conversion with Princess Yue was funny.  But the main reason I loved the part was because of the landscape of it.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2007 03:28 am by Katara16 » Logged

"No!  No!  I mean if it was a choice between kissing you and dying..."
"Ughhh!!"
"What?  I'm saying I would rather kiss you then die.  That a compliment!"
"Well, I'm not sure which I would rather do!" *stomps away*
"What is wrong with me?" *pouts*

LMBO
Dax
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

good thing he ain't all glowy yet

« Reply #49 on: Jul 27, 2007 09:07 am »

Katara's one of the most awesome characters ever. She water bends gracefully and knows how to use it well. She even looks so much better when her hair is down. Really nice.

Poor Sokka, got hit with a rush of water when Katara redirected that attack by Paku.

Water bending is just so nice to see even though it's rarely exhibited.

Defeat the Fire Lord. Save the World. Icon and Sig by me. Cheesy
My Art Room.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: