Mar 27, 2017 01:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 105 (53.6%)
9 - 55 (28.1%)
8 - 26 (13.3%)
7 - 5 (2.6%)
6 - 2 (1%)
5 - 1 (0.5%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 1 (0.5%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 189

Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [118] The Waterbending Master  (Read 18549 times)
Acastus
Expert Advisor
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Victim of the gelatinous cube.

« on: Feb 11, 2006 10:07 am »

Official Description:The kids reach the Northern Water Tribe, and Aang and Katara look for a Waterbending Master while Sokka falls for a princess. Meanwhile, Zhao plans an attack and Zuko must find a way to continue his quest for the Avatar.
Toomin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Waterbender Extraordinaire

« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2006 09:01 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but the fight between Katara and Master Pakku is my favorite scene from the entire run of the show so far. The fight works so beautifully, you forget you're watching a Nicktoon.

It's just too bad so little of the show has been spent with the Waterbenders. Most of the show takes place in the Earth Kingdom, which is fine, but I wish we could see more Waterbenders, or let Katara and Aang strut their stuff at least. Smiley

Avatar made by Dancing Banana. Thanks!
Quadgurl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Zutarian queen at your service-o

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2006 11:58 am »

I know it's a little (o_O) Late to say stuff about this, but I really liked this episode. Master Pakku got some sense slapped into him!! >:-D And it was priceless the way that katara hit him on the back of the head with a water whip thing. Smiley

Sokaang + Zutara = My Avatar ships Grin
Join the zutarian-empire today! http://zutarian-empire.deviantart.com
peppertree
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Orange-kun

akatsuki.evil@hotmail.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2006 07:45 pm »

When Zuko's ship exploded, I knew he wasn't going to die because he was a main character in the show, so he can't die.

That part was really cool though.

And Pakku - what a jerk. Finally someone puts him back into his place. He was way out of line with that 'No Women Waterbending' thing.

Whoever made my icons is creative & brilliant.
Jeremiah Gottwald got baked by Kallen... Baked orange...

Visit my Deviantart!! link
omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2006 08:31 am »

I actually don't think he was way out of line, even though I'm a girl. Pakku was just rude. If he said it in nicer terms it wouldn't have seemed so bad. It's acceptable to not teach girls waterbending because it's a cultural thing.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2006 11:37 am »

I agree with you Toomin. The fight between Pakku and Katara was veeerryyyy cool!!
The only thing I noticed kind of...bad?...was that the beginning of the episode, personally, was a bit quick; because they are on Appa, they are like 'when are we going to find the Water Tribe...' and then they get 'iced' by the waterbenders and then in the next scene they are in the city.
Am I the only one who noticed that?

Tryin to upload a sig here...but I don\'t have a photobucket...
Xeiros
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I despise Avatar.

266755988 Xerios417 xerios417
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2006 05:27 am »

No Avatar Roku your not the only one who noticed. I agree that the begining felt rushed. The fight between Pakku and Katara was pure awesome. For me it was the water version of Bumi Vs Aang. This episode also brings up the issue of sexism once again only this time its more than just a passing thought like in Boy in the Iceberg.

Wii Code/Nickname:2249-5964-0834-8514/Cenobia
PM me if you register me so I may add you as well.
jakniclesin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

LIES!!!

jakniclesin@yahoo.com
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2006 08:25 pm »

For a moment, very brief, I was shocked when Pakku water bended icicles and trapped Katara, I thought for some reason he might have killed her, which was nonsense to believe of a kids show. It was definitely a highlight of the series.

Keeper of Toph's Manners.
omgasp
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

av by alpha

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2006 08:34 pm »

I was really surprised that Katara had that much skill in waterbending.

jakniclesin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

LIES!!!

jakniclesin@yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2006 08:42 pm »

Yeah, but it irked me. When season two started up, even before, in Seige of the North Part I, she had already 'mastered' Waterbending, which makes no sense. No matter how quickly you can progress at something, you can't make years of study and training into maybe a weeks worth. Same thing with Aang, in both water and Earth. The prievew for the Fury of Aang, the narrator/announcer said "He's mastered another element." No way he 'mastered' earth between two episodes.

There's not much sense of time scale with Avatar, besides seasons like fall, winter, and spring.

MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2006 01:20 am »

I think Katara is probably a bending prodigy.  That is likely why she learned so quickly once she received training from a master.  I also suspect that they spent a few weeks in the North as well.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
jakniclesin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

LIES!!!

jakniclesin@yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2006 05:04 am »

It's likely they spent a few weeks, but remember that Aang has to defeat the FN  seven months or less, more like 6. It's just unrealistic to master an element in even 3 weeks, when it takes YEARS normally. And then he stops a boulder, so he's 'mastered' earthbending? No. And it's spring now in the show, which means it's March or the equivilant to it. So he's mastered two bending disciplines already. What really bothers me is how little of his actual training with Toph and Katara is shown.

MonCapitan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Mmm.. Redheads

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2006 06:00 am »

Blame the mastery comment on the narrators promoting the show.  He has not been declared an earthbending master by Toph.  The comment about mastery occured in a promotion for the show.  Since it was only mentioned in an advertisement, I think it is fairly safe to say that the canonicity of that statement is invalid.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population
jakniclesin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

LIES!!!

jakniclesin@yahoo.com
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2006 06:26 am »

Prolly true.

wildfire651
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Proud supporter of Kataang, Maiko, and Sukka!

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2006 10:02 pm »

I would have to say this is my favortie episode because it was the first to show some REAL waterbending action. I didnt really think too much about waterbending till I saw this episode!  Grin

Keeper of the fake firebending streamers!
I wish it wasn't all over... Sad
Waterbender Avatar Ramika
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

the power within

longnailedcasper@hotmail.com scoopergiraffe iamaworkofart
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2006 11:33 pm »

They already could have been close when the Watertribes attacked.  And Well, they showed them right outside the Northern Water nation gates.  Showing them go inside, and all the etiquette of the north they had to go through would have just been waisted air time that they could have put to better use.  Which they actually did. 

Katara has basically been teaching herself, and to have progressed that far seemingly on her own with the help of ONE scroll sure does scream 'PRODIGY!' to me.  And she does have the determination of a fly to buzz around your head. XD  "Fine!  You want a lesson, then study closely!"  Aaaawesome fight scene!  I love the look Pakku gives when Katara about slices him with that one sheet of ice. XD

GOOOOOOO Kataang! xD Gooooo . . . umm, Yue and Sokka? XD
Toph_Girl12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I ♥ Sokka

Kiddiekidkid67@hotmail.com Kiddiekidkid67
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2006 10:29 pm »

I loved princess Yue! that is all i gotta say!

I ♥ Azula, Mai, Toph, Sokka, Katara, Aang, and Zuko!
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2006 05:00 am »

I loved Katara with her hair down Kiss

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
Mikesta
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

plazamikie@hotmail.com
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2006 10:01 am »

This is one of my all tme favorite episodes..The fight between Master Pakuu and Katara was friggen awesome and I loved the flashback of the Blue Spirit...Sokka was great in this episode..."lets do an activity together"...so classic...and Princess Yue was great

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!
FlamingBabiez
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Many thanks to Mike & Bryan for a great story!

« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2007 09:41 pm »

I'm no Zuko-hater, but Zuko's ship exploding has to be one my favorites scenes in the series. It's so big and...dark! It proves that this is no mere kids show.
Kitaro
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smoking is harmful to your health, not mine...

« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2007 01:20 am »

At the beginning, I can't stand Pakku because of his approval toward sexism (hey, isn't it a fact that the Northern water tribe have sexism). But I have to admire his skills in waterbending after watching Pakku vs Katara (and later, Pakku vs. "FN soldiers along with war machines")
  I also like the way Pakku humiliated Aang in waterbending: <transcript thanks to Acastus>
1.Master Pakku (lifting the soup and sucking out some food from it): Maybe that move is too advanced for you. Why don't you try an easier one?(Aang throws the water to the ground in frustration.)
2.Master Pakku: Not bad! Not bad! Heheh! Keep practicing and maybe you'll get it by the time you're my age!
  And above all, I'm really interested in "Pakku & Kana" story, the way Pakku show expression when seeing the necklace he made for Kana long ago. He loves Kana very much, but it a sad thing that Kana didn't love him and his tribe's stupid customs run her life... Or maybe at that time, she wasn't sure about the love with Pakku Tongue (I'm a Pakkana shipper!!!)

Keeper of the secret letters from Master Pakku to Kana, and from Kana to Master Pakku... Keeper of the secret waterbending bending scroll
Vela
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tea but no sympathy

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2007 02:38 pm »

I'm no Zuko-hater, but Zuko's ship exploding has to be one my favorites scenes in the series. It's so big and...dark! It proves that this is no mere kids show.

I liked the way he was totally beaten up after, bruises, split lip and everything... Sounds silly but in an average cartoon you'd've expected him to walk away with nothing but a bad mood.

The fight between Pakku and Katara was great though, I enjoyed that!
roku13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

katara

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2007 05:04 pm »

I loved it when katara battled Master Pakku!

Roku ~

I edited your reply because it was originally in all caps. Please do not use all caps for your messages. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2007 05:27 pm by Avatar_Mom » Logged

# 1 avatar fan i love katara
Ba Sing Se
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Harlequinade Archivist

« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2007 02:31 am »

I think the best part in this episode was when Katara bended water at Pakku, but then he uses the water from Katara to surf on it

PG15
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boo!

« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2007 02:51 am »

Something just came to me: during the battle, Katara flung knife-like ice sheets at Pakku that looked as if they can easily slice him in half.

Was Katara trying to kill Pakku or something?! Seems a little overboard, doesn't it?

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: