Jul 26, 2017 11:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who do you think are Lin's/Suyin's fathers? (pick two)
Aang - 8 (2.9%)
Sokka - 32 (11.6%)
Zuko - 25 (9.1%)
The Duke - 20 (7.3%)
Haru - 7 (2.5%)
One of Toph's students - 9 (3.3%)
Unknown new character - 85 (30.9%)
The world will never know - 56 (20.4%)
Other - 21 (7.6%)
Teo - 12 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 219

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the Beifong sisters' fathers?  (Read 260865 times)
KiSwordsman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1725 on: Jan 18, 2015 08:51 pm »

^ Yeah, but it's not like she got away with being a very lax mother who used no authority on her kids because she herself absolutely loathed being caged in by her parents. She's a hermit in a swamp filled with regrets. She's been wanting to patch things up with Lin for years.

While I may understand that aspect. In that, she paid in how she lives now. The patching up that she did with her eldest daughter wasn't really patching up and more glossing over things. Once again, Lin's concerns were never really addressed, and Lin was treated like she was being a 55-year-old baby that could not let things go. Which if you really look at it isn't true, just because her sister was able to get over her grievances does not mean that the same should be expected of Lin. So why was she being told that she should just get over her problems. And Toph acknowledging that she wasn't the best mother at the end doesn't fix the problem. It's just admitting it. But because things had to be hunky-dory at the end of things, Lin was just like, "okay it's cool."
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015 08:53 pm by KiSwordsman » Logged
Suz
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1726 on: Jan 18, 2015 10:56 pm »

I guess rather than hold on to decades-old resentments, she forgave her mother.  And who knows how much longer she'll be around.  Lin had legitimate concerns; maybe now they can seriously discuss it now that they're speaking. 

As for Toph's parenting skills, I wasn't terribly surprised.  I know people with very strict parents who practiced corporeal punishment.  Rather than impose that on their own kids, they chose the other extreme.  They were "cool" parents who let their kids do whatever they wanted, so long as they stayed out of trouble.  Somehow, they survived and came away sane.

Toph's upbringing is similar.  She was sheltered to a suffocating degree.  She probably didn't want that for Lin and Su and went the opposite direction.  She wasn't a perfect mother and even admitted it herself; she did the best she could.  I just wish there were more episodes to flesh this stuff out.
KiSwordsman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1727 on: Jan 18, 2015 11:39 pm »

I just don't appreciate the narrative treating it like it was Lin's problem from start to finish. It should not have mattered how old Toph is or how much longer she was going to be around, sometimes one should reap what they sow. Lin had every right to feel the way that she was feeling. It was just kinda lame and it came off like, "okay mom I forgive you... For reasons." And like I've already stated, her admitting that she was a bad mother is just that, it doesn't fix the problem it doesn't really address anything it's just an admittance of wrongdoing. That's basically it.

Now whatever they may come to offscreen is one thing. However, the main issue here is how the narrative treated the whole situation during that shows run. "I know we did X to you, but that's your problem." While the Tenzin situation was partially her fall, her mother and sister coming at her like it was her deal just rubbed me the wrong way.

Now while we all know why Toph did the things that she did, is seemed more or less like she never addressed those things with her daughter for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015 11:42 pm by KiSwordsman » Logged
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1728 on: Jan 19, 2015 04:01 am »

^I feel like you're missing something really important. Forgiveness isn't something you give other people, forgiveness is something you give yourself so that you can move on with your life. Yes, Toph wasn't a very good parent. But Lin can either hold it against her for the rest of her life and suffer for that more than Toph or accept Toph as she is and try to save what is left of the family. It would give Lin peace and that's what matters.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #1729 on: Jan 19, 2015 05:32 am »

^Or just go to a water bender and have Lin's memories of your bad mother erased so she doesn't exist.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
KiSwordsman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1730 on: Jan 19, 2015 11:57 am »

^I feel like you're missing something really important. Forgiveness isn't something you give other people, forgiveness is something you give yourself so that you can move on with your life. Yes, Toph wasn't a very good parent. But Lin can either hold it against her for the rest of her life and suffer for that more than Toph or accept Toph as she is and try to save what is left of the family. It would give Lin peace and that's what matters.

Well that depends on the person really. I mean take for example her and her sister, she was legitimately trying to get across that things had changed. Offering hospitality, and so on and so forth just to get Lin to open her eyes. Toph was a different story. She showed practically the same attitude, and mannerisms from the last time we saw her (at 12-13). Now whether or not that was for nostalgia purposes, keeping with her character  or what have you, I don't know. However, it just makes it come off as forgiveness for its own sake. Yes, one could say that forgiveness is for oneself, however that's not always the case. Sometimes forgiveness is something that you give other people because it's something that they have either earned  or want. And you sure don't have to give it to them in either case. Bojack horseman comes to mind, but that's obscure enough to where I wouldn't really expect a lot of people to have seen it.

Personally, I just wish that she had died, to make this whole thing make a lot more sense. Or it would have been better showcased that she was deserving of Lin's forgiveness, rather than everyone just having to be accept it because... Toph.
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #1731 on: Jan 19, 2015 12:30 pm »

Well, it's not like ATLA has never pulled off a senseless heroic sacrifice, Jet and especially Hiroshi come to mind (Damn, just damn!).

All my written material is free of any and all copyright, it can be used freely for everyone's inspiration
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1732 on: Jan 19, 2015 02:17 pm »

I'm still not clear how much Lin knew about her father. In her outburst, she simply says she didn't know him, with no embellishment, leaving us to assume that she didn't even know who he was. Then Bolin asks about it, and Toph gives the name out nonchalantly. Did Lin simply never ask? Had Toph chilled since she last saw Lin, and wouldn't talk about it all before but now considers it no big deal? Did Lin know her father's identity all along, and was simply referring to not having a real relationship with him?

The answer we got just leaves me with more questions.

My guess is either Toph made the mistake of assuming her kids knowing who their father are wouldn't make make a difference at this point now that they're adults or she gave Lin the same answer she gave Bolin, a man named Kanto, he was nice, but it just didn't work out. Perhaps Toph never went into more detail and Lin, knowing her mother didn't like talking about it, never pushed the subject growing up. Hearing Toph speak so nonchalantly about her father to Bolin, possibly an answer she heard many times over the years, was the last straw for Lin.   

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1733 on: Dec 21, 2015 12:09 am »

Huan is an artistic individual as we all know, he creates deeply moving and thought-provoking work, an artist that's ahead of his time, someone who really brings out the beauty in the world around him. But where did such great talent come from? 

Gramp Gramp Sokka of course.  Cheesy

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1734 on: Dec 22, 2015 07:55 pm »

Really, Huan's entire artistic career could be seen as a response to Sokka's "Rainbow Era."

ThePeacefulGuru
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1735 on: Jan 23, 2016 09:35 pm »

Huan is an artistic individual as we all know, he creates deeply moving and thought-provoking work, an artist that's ahead of his time, someone who really brings out the beauty in the world around him. But where did such great talent come from?  

http://hdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/korra/305/0461.jpg

Gramp Gramp Sokka of course.  Cheesy

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/atla/304/420.jpg

They even look alike!

Please remove the img tag when quoting images next time. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

"The heart of the fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of the wise man is in his heart" - Ben Franklin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1736 on: Feb 29, 2016 12:04 am »

http://hdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/korra/305/0461.jpg

Gramp Gramp Sokka of course.  Cheesy

http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/atla/304/420.jpg

They even look alike!

And both of their lives are filled with struggle and anguish, most of it self-inflicted. 

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1737 on: Jun 15, 2016 02:46 pm »

Toph Beifong was known far and wide for her metalbending might, so legendary was her power, that she even caught the attention of an earthbending spirit. Meeting though an adventure with the Avatar, this Earth spirit, known by the name of Kanto, rarely stayed long in the physical world, but for the Blind Bandit he had made an exception. He was amazed by the human woman's unique abilities, it had been an millennia since he had seen an mortal with such a deep connection to nature. While Toph liked having an powerful spirit sing her praises and found they actually shared similarly negative views on human society. They enjoyed each other's company, however, their relationship was short-lived. Kanto couldn't stand the thought of living in the human world, and when he offered to take Toph with him back to the Spirit World, promising that she would be treated like a queen, she turned him down and the two amicably parted ways, the fancy life of an goddess simply didn't interest Ms. Beifong.

Toph never told Lin the full story of how she met her father. She wouldn't have known how to even begin to describe him for that matter. As far as Toph cared, he was an guy named Kanto, he was an nice guy, but it just didn't work out between them. Besides, Toph didn't want her daughter to get an big ego from knowing she was an lemur demigoddess.      

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2016 02:58 pm by Avatar Lizzy » Logged

Sig by Guitarfreak.
shorewall
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Yeah, baby!

« Reply #1738 on: Jun 15, 2016 04:03 pm »

Cheesy  omg

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light."
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1739 on: Jun 15, 2016 06:26 pm »

We never did get that spirit's name spoken out loud, right? It's an easy enough retcon. Cheesy

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1740 on: Jun 17, 2016 05:08 pm »

And it would be in-character for Toph to describe an ancient, humanoid lemur spirit as "Eh. He was an okay guy."

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1741 on: Jun 17, 2016 05:15 pm »

Oh, totally. I mean, after the "blah, blah, blah, something about space" quote, she might qualify as the most irreverent person in world history. It's probably why she had no problem asking 'Kanto' if he wanted to go dancing in the first place.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1742 on: Jun 18, 2016 04:48 am »

And it would be in-character for Toph to describe an ancient, humanoid lemur spirit as "Eh. He was an okay guy."

Well, she is blind, and her seismic sense probably doesn't work very well on metaphysical beings like a spirit.

By the way, I really like this fan theory Smiley.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1743 on: Jun 18, 2016 01:26 pm »

Wasn't there a discussion not too long ago about how Toph perceives Spirits?

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1744 on: Jun 18, 2016 03:45 pm »

Wasn't there a discussion not too long ago about how Toph perceives Spirits?

Yeah, I can remember something, but the details elude me. The Search button also gives nothing.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1745 on: Jun 18, 2016 10:36 pm »

Well, she is blind, and her seismic sense probably doesn't work very well on metaphysical beings like a spirit.

By the way, I really like this fan theory Smiley.

The comics did confirm that human-spirit relationships are an thing. Smiley

Sig by Guitarfreak.
Cybersun
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1746 on: Jun 28, 2016 09:38 pm »

in honor of the confirmation of r+l=j i theorize that s+t=suyin
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #1747 on: Aug 23, 2016 10:37 pm »

No.  We all how she did it.

Earth! Haru
Fire! Zuko
Wind! Aang
Water! Sokka
Heart! Iroh

When their genes combine with hers, they become Lin, Captain Planet!

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Fig
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1748 on: Apr 07, 2017 02:17 pm »

I was kind of hoping that Suyin's dad was Sokka, but I don't see that happening. We don't know when Sokka died, but we know he was alive at least 13 years before Book Three: Change when they tell Korra that Tenzin, her Dad, Lord Zuko, and Sokka help stop the attempted kidnapping. I think if Sokka was the father he would have definitely been in Suyin's life.

Hopefully in the new Korra comic series it is something that will be addressed some time or other.  Smiley

"...you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see." - Uncle Iroh
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1749 on: May 11, 2017 01:22 pm »

I was kind of hoping that Suyin's dad was Sokka, but I don't see that happening. We don't know when Sokka died, but we know he was alive at least 13 years before Book Three: Change when they tell Korra that Tenzin, her Dad, Lord Zuko, and Sokka help stop the attempted kidnapping. I think if Sokka was the father he would have definitely been in Suyin's life.

Hopefully in the new Korra comic series it is something that will be addressed some time or other.  Smiley
On the flip side their fathers weren't that great to begin with. I mean if they wanted to have a relationship with their daughters, they could have. Toph was an extremely famous woman and publicly had two daughters, so it's not like their fathers wouldn't have known of their existence. While Toph may have forbidden them to have contact with the girls when they were kids, what stopped them from seeking them out when they hit adulthood? I'm guessing that neither man wanted to be a father and Toph wanted to spare her daughters of the realization their fathers didn't want them. So she takes all of the blame onto herself. However I feel like the comics will torpedo this theory and the fathers didn't know of their existence or knew they were the father and Toph will have some excuse of why she didn't tell them or her daughters "for reasons" and all will be forgiven.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: