Oct 17, 2017 05:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who do you think are Lin's/Suyin's fathers? (pick two)
Aang - 8 (2.9%)
Sokka - 32 (11.6%)
Zuko - 25 (9.1%)
The Duke - 20 (7.3%)
Haru - 7 (2.5%)
One of Toph's students - 9 (3.3%)
Unknown new character - 85 (30.9%)
The world will never know - 56 (20.4%)
Other - 21 (7.6%)
Teo - 12 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 219

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the Beifong sisters' fathers?  (Read 266056 times)
Clowngoon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1700 on: Jan 13, 2015 09:42 pm »

^ I'd think that if Baatar was Sokka's son, Tenzin, Lin, Kya or Bumi would have long since mentioned something about it.

Considering the lack of character interaction between various secondary characters, I doubt it.

"Some friendships can transcend through lifetimes."

"Occasionally punching a guy with an electric glove does not make Asami a strong female character."
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1701 on: Jan 14, 2015 01:30 am »

^ Still not a excuse. Even Lin would have said something about them going to Zaofu, and when they were at Zaofu itself. Su herself would have too.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1702 on: Jan 14, 2015 03:10 am »

There's nothing in LoK that rules out Sokka as Suyin's father.

It just requires that either Sokka be characterized as a deadbeat dad who didn't give two shakes for his daughter, or Toph be characterized as having literally stolen Suyin from Sokka by not telling him that he could be the father.

I'm not sure which I like more. Probably the first.
It's shipping, go along with it. Don't question it and definitely don't try to make any sense of it. Tongue

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #1703 on: Jan 14, 2015 02:56 pm »

Is it really important who the father or fathers are? Actually, yes, when I think about it. If we knew who they are Toph would seem less like someone with "very loose morals" and a bad person in general. Imo, the only thing awesome about her are her battle skills. She's been a brat since she was young and she's become only worse with age.

All my written material is free of any and all copyright, it can be used freely for everyone's inspiration
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1704 on: Jan 15, 2015 05:58 pm »

It may not be important to the story, at least not now, but it is important to Lin and Su. Not having their fathers in their life did affect them, remember Lin still held it against Toph after all those years.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1705 on: Jan 16, 2015 04:35 am »

If we knew who they are Toph would seem less like someone with "very loose morals"
I strongly disagree with this. If she was a guy no one would call him that and everyone would pity him for having two dead wives. Yet, when she's a woman, no one considers it likely that maybe she has two dead partners (whether they were married or not) or they abandoned her and everyone either comes to the conclusion that she either didn't tell them about the kids or was sleeping around or similar. 

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #1706 on: Jan 16, 2015 12:18 pm »

I guess my annoyance with Toph blinded me, I never liked her much to be honest. She seemed to me when I watched the show that she simply doesn't care about who she hurts and how. The fathers matter so little in her eyes that she feels no need to even mention them.

Thanks for correcting me though, now that I re-read what I said it does sound wrong. Should have put more tought in the post.

All my written material is free of any and all copyright, it can be used freely for everyone's inspiration
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1707 on: Jan 16, 2015 01:09 pm »

I guess my annoyance with Toph blinded me, I never liked her much to be honest. She seemed to me when I watched the show that she simply doesn't care about who she hurts and how. The fathers matter so little in her eyes that she feels no need to even mention them.

Thanks for correcting me though, now that I re-read what I said it does sound wrong. Should have put more tought in the post.
I can understand that. Toph is a very "hit or miss" character. However, it's also possible that they mattered a lot to her and I could see her not wanting to talk about them as her not wanting to be reminded of painful memories. Her tough attitude just makes her look like she doesn't care but it could be just her way of dealing with grief. It's kinda in the Bei-Fong family to dwell on past until it chases them down. Cheesy

luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1708 on: Jan 16, 2015 04:52 pm »

But regardless of her own feelings she should have put them aside for her daughters. They had a right to know who their fathers were even if they wouldn't be in their lives.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1709 on: Jan 16, 2015 05:13 pm »

But regardless of her own feelings she should have put them aside for her daughters. They had a right to know who their fathers were even if they wouldn't be in their lives.
No one is arguing against that. But Toph isn't a perfect human and she's rather selfish so I'm not surprised she put her own feelings over her daughters'.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1710 on: Jan 16, 2015 11:30 pm »

I'm still not clear how much Lin knew about her father. In her outburst, she simply says she didn't know him, with no embellishment, leaving us to assume that she didn't even know who he was. Then Bolin asks about it, and Toph gives the name out nonchalantly. Did Lin simply never ask? Had Toph chilled since she last saw Lin, and wouldn't talk about it all before but now considers it no big deal? Did Lin know her father's identity all along, and was simply referring to not having a real relationship with him?

The answer we got just leaves me with more questions.

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1711 on: Jan 17, 2015 04:27 am »

Or maybe Toph just trolled Bolin.... Nah, that would be sooo out of charact... wait... actually, scratch that.

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #1712 on: Jan 17, 2015 06:10 am »

I'm still not clear how much Lin knew about her father. In her outburst, she simply says she didn't know him, with no embellishment, leaving us to assume that she didn't even know who he was. Then Bolin asks about it, and Toph gives the name out nonchalantly. Did Lin simply never ask? Had Toph chilled since she last saw Lin, and wouldn't talk about it all before but now considers it no big deal? Did Lin know her father's identity all along, and was simply referring to not having a real relationship with him?

Considering Lin's disposition towards her family ("Leave your maturity behind and enter the Grudge!"), she probably never asked and Toph never cared to talk about it either.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1713 on: Jan 17, 2015 04:07 pm »

Or maybe Toph just trolled Bolin.... Nah, that would be sooo out of charact... wait... actually, scratch that.

That would be hilarious if every time she was asked, Toph made up a new name. Cheesy

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1714 on: Jan 17, 2015 04:55 pm »

That would be hilarious if every time she was asked, Toph made up a new name. Cheesy
There's still a lot of Pokemon regions to use. Tongue

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #1715 on: Jan 17, 2015 05:14 pm »

^So that means Toph's motto with men was: "Gotta catch 'em all!" ?

I never liked imagining her love life though, in ATLA she was barely scratching puberty and now in LOK she's an old wrinkly hag. None of this creates pretty images in my mind Tongue

KiSwordsman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1716 on: Jan 17, 2015 07:40 pm »

It may not be important to the story, at least not now, but it is important to Lin and Su. Not having their fathers in their life did affect them, remember Lin still held it against Toph after all those years.

I like how the resolution to that was just like, "well I know I've been a crappy parent, but if you don't hate me too bad I guess it's just fine."

I mean Lin had legitimate concerns there that were never addressed, but she's being made to look like a sourpuss that just can't get over stuff. And for it to be just brushed off like that, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

it's like, she had legitimate issues with not knowing who her father was, it seemed like she had asked about it before but Toph never wanted to tell her anything and just casually talks about it when Bolin asked. It was basically the equivalent of a child having issues with something like that and their parent just telling them to get over it. Excuse me, parent and sister.

one might argue that the show didn't want to get too deep into that type of thing but come on, they freaking showcased a murder, I'm pretty sure single-parent issues wouldn't have been that much of a problem. Or at the very least actually address Lin's concerns and not make it seem like it was just a problem that she was having. I mean she had every right to be done with Toph if Toph was just gonna sit there and continue to act like it was simply a problem that Lin was having with her and not her just being not the best mother. I mean yes she acknowledged such, but that doesn't make it okay. That's like a hypocrite acknowledging the fact that they are being a hypocrite but still trying to tell you not to do something that they themselves did. Simply acknowledging the issue doesn't make it fine all of a sudden.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2015 07:44 pm by KiSwordsman » Logged
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1717 on: Jan 18, 2015 12:32 am »

I mean Lin had legitimate concerns there that were never addressed, but she's being made to look like a sourpuss that just can't get over stuff. And for it to be just brushed off like that, just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Someone on tumblr said Lin was almost a 'forgiveness-dispenser'.

source

I can't help but agree Wink

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Funkybender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1718 on: Jan 18, 2015 01:11 am »

I'm wondering if Lin has any recollection of Su's father, but she might have been too young to remember or he may have never lived with Toph before Su was born.
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1719 on: Jan 18, 2015 03:56 am »

I have to agree here. This was my problem with how Lin was treated in every book. It was like everyone was always telling her: "Get over your justified anger because it's getting annoying and I already got over hurting you.". I don't think any of those issues were handled well. Book 1 was he closest to handling it well because Lin was partly at fault but with other cases, it was just messy. The one with Toph was probably the worst because she proved that she was a bad mother by treating the fact like something people should just get over/forgive. If she truly realised her wrongdoings and wanted to atone for that she would have done more.

I don't mind this portrayal because people have faults and one of Toph's biggest faults was selfishness so I'm not surprised it followed her her whole life. But by no means am I ever going to agree that her "apology" was handled well.

Darth Uchiha
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1720 on: Jan 18, 2015 04:13 pm »

Who cares, the writers obviously don't.

Taking a sled down the Slippery Slope
Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Selam, Sahib

« Reply #1721 on: Jan 18, 2015 04:30 pm »

But the fandom cares about missing parents A LOT. Remember the good times when everyone, from Avatar leet to noob, was speculating about Ursa and her whereabouts, true identity and what not? I think Bryke remember well, that's why they repeated the success formula so as to trap us for a while longer in their wonderful world.

Blessed be The Bryke!!

Darth Uchiha
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1722 on: Jan 18, 2015 04:33 pm »

But the fandom cares about missing parents A LOT. Remember the good times when everyone, from Avatar leet to noob, was speculating about Ursa and her whereabouts, true identity and what not? I think Bryke remember well, that's why they repeated the success formula so as to trap us for a while longer in their wonderful world.

Blessed be The Bryke!!
Yes, the fandom does care, the fandom cares about a lot of unimportant things. The Beifong sisters' fathers were simply irrelevant.

Taking a sled down the Slippery Slope
KiSwordsman
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1723 on: Jan 18, 2015 07:59 pm »

I have to agree here. This was my problem with how Lin was treated in every book. It was like everyone was always telling her: "Get over your justified anger because it's getting annoying and I already got over hurting you.". I don't think any of those issues were handled well. Book 1 was he closest to handling it well because Lin was partly at fault but with other cases, it was just messy. The one with Toph was probably the worst because she proved that she was a bad mother by treating the fact like something people should just get over/forgive. If she truly realised her wrongdoings and wanted to atone for that she would have done more.

I don't mind this portrayal because people have faults and one of Toph's biggest faults was selfishness so I'm not surprised it followed her her whole life. But by no means am I ever going to agree that her "apology" was handled well.
Personally, I think it would have been way better had Toph not been alive. With this, it would have made way more sense for her sister to be all like "well you should get over it". You can't really properly forgive someone who isn't around to give a proper apology. With Toph being alive however this just makes her character look all around awful. If it wasn't for the straight nostalgia and love for the character from the first series, I think I would pretty much loathe her.

I understand character flaws, but some flaws don't always have to persist. At a certain point, it just seems like she can get away with it because she's Toph. This shouldn't be true at all, it shouldn't just be brushed off just because she was selfish in the first series. I'm not saying that is what you're saying, but it's how some fans treat it.
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1724 on: Jan 18, 2015 08:35 pm »

^ Yeah, but it's not like she got away with being a very lax mother who used no authority on her kids because she herself absolutely loathed being caged in by her parents. She's a hermit in a swamp filled with regrets. She's been wanting to patch things up with Lin for years.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: