Oct 21, 2017 05:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 164 (57.7%)
9 - 65 (22.9%)
8 - 43 (15.1%)
7 - 8 (2.8%)
6 - 1 (0.4%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 2 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 284

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [102] A Leaf in the Wind  (Read 60829 times)
Mowie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ I can relate.

« Reply #975 on: Apr 16, 2012 02:42 pm »

But seriously, what's up with the absent and exhausted moms in this series Bryke? Hopefully we will get a glimpse of some good mother-child relationships in this series. Maybe Katara-Tenzin/Kya/Bumi flashbacks? I don't know though, Lin seems to have some kind of momma issues....

Well, would YOU want to live in Toph's shadow? I know I wouldn't...

I seriously cannot wait for the backstory there. What kind of childhood did Lin have? Toph must have been busy teaching the art of metalbending. Maybe she didn't have enough time or the capacity to be a nurturing, supportive mother. Who was her dad? Was he around? How about and siblings? And where did the scars come from?

So much potential...I hope we get to explore it further.

I keep: Tenzin's dramatic cape movements, Pema's motherly love, and Piandao's love of the arts.
TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #976 on: Apr 16, 2012 02:43 pm »

Childhood traumatization for Lin? Onboard.

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
Mowie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ I can relate.

« Reply #977 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:27 pm »

Right? I mean, not everything for the Gaang could have turned out rainbows and butterflies... I need some more drama and trauma!! And, I could totally see Toph not being the nurturing motherly type. Her own parents smothered her to the point that she had to run away, and like I said, she had to have been really busy with the whole metalbending legacy. Maybe she put alot of pressure on Lin? Or maybe Lin just inherited Toph's rebellious nature and the two of them butted heads constantly.

Of course, maybe they had a great loving relationship and I'm totally off my rocker. Either way, I hope we find out.

I keep: Tenzin's dramatic cape movements, Pema's motherly love, and Piandao's love of the arts.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #978 on: Apr 16, 2012 05:47 pm »

I bet Toph didn't even raise Lin. She left the baby with some badgermoles and picked her up at age 14 to teach her metalbending.

TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #979 on: Apr 16, 2012 05:51 pm »

That. Would. Be. Epic.

Kinda sad, but still epic.

He's watching you...

I keep the hidden records of all Avatar names and tribes and Korra's buttcape. :3
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #980 on: Apr 16, 2012 09:08 pm »

I bet Toph didn't even raise Lin. She left the baby with some badgermoles and picked her up at age 14 to teach her metalbending.

I'm on board with this headcanon right hurr.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #981 on: Apr 16, 2012 09:22 pm »

Why can't Toph just be a normal loving mother? Sure it is Toph, but I doubt she would abandon Lin. I wouldn't mind Toph finding some badger moles to teach Lin though.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #982 on: Apr 16, 2012 09:29 pm »

You do know that was a bit of a joke right? I do believe that Toph was a kind mother. She might have been the type of mother to shout and yell and say "Don't be such a softie!" at times, but I also believe that she loved and cared for her daughter.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #983 on: Apr 16, 2012 11:40 pm »

When Chief became a police officer, I bet she had to arrest her own mom a few times. In fact, it was probably how they bonded. Cheesy

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
MoreKilmer
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #984 on: Apr 17, 2012 12:56 am »

Right? I mean, not everything for the Gaang could have turned out rainbows and butterflies... I need some more drama and trauma!! And, I could totally see Toph not being the nurturing motherly type. Her own parents smothered her to the point that she had to run away, and like I said, she had to have been really busy with the whole metalbending legacy. Maybe she put alot of pressure on Lin? Or maybe Lin just inherited Toph's rebellious nature and the two of them butted heads constantly.

Of course, maybe they had a great loving relationship and I'm totally off my rocker. Either way, I hope we find out.

Oh, there's one theory in that. Toph going into motherhood thinking she is going to be nothing like her own parents - determined to not be so overbearing. But, being Toph, she takes it too far, and pretty much neglects and ignores Lin.

When Chief became a police officer, I bet she had to arrest her own mom a few times. In fact, it was probably how they bonded. Cheesy

Cheesy Yes, yes. This must have happened.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #985 on: Apr 17, 2012 05:47 pm »

"All right, Mum, time to go downtown."

"Slush yeah! See that, everyone, they had to send the city's most-decorated Metalbender to bring me in!"

"Here, I'll let you put the cuffs on yourself."

"Thanks, sweetie. We're not taking the blimp, are we?"

"Nope, I have a team of guys outside to drag you into the station."

"AW YEAH!! You are the best daughter ever!"

"I know. Come on, let's go."

"...aren't you going to use excessive force?"

"Again? We did that yesterday."

TheFirstAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

FRIENDLY MUSHROOM

« Reply #986 on: Apr 17, 2012 06:11 pm »

^ this is why i love this fandom. And loopy.

He's watching you...

Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #987 on: Apr 17, 2012 06:14 pm »

"...aren't you going to use excessive force?"

"Again? We did that yesterday."

LOL

^ this is why i love this fandom. And loopy.

Me too

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
ChibiChibiBear
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You gotta deal with it.

« Reply #988 on: Apr 18, 2012 12:47 pm »

I'm just excited to see more Tenzin and Lin interaction. They were so tense, what's the deal with that? Ex-lovers? Why so stiff with each other?

They must have grown up together, parents being friends and all. When did it become that? I hope they have some romantic past, and even if the series never tells us that it'll be my head-canon.

My thought upon rewatching: with the way Lin tells Korra "That's ancient history" really briskly about Aang and Toph being friends, maybe Aang and Toph had some falling out. That'd be so sad...
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2012 03:24 pm by ChibiChibiBear » Logged

Keeper of: Zuko's hatred of peasant life, Jet and Zuko's teamwork, Jet's obsession with Zuko, and the ship of Jetko!
Master of: Broadswords, hookswords, and
RickW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #989 on: Apr 19, 2012 02:01 pm »

I've rewatched the episodes. My opinion didn't change, still loved 'em, but I noticed something. In my opinion, the director did a poor job. For example, and I mentioned this before, when the tide turns for the Fire Ferrets in episode 2, and Korra suddenly becomes good at Pro-bending. I know why this is, but it's not very subtle. A short expression of realization would've made it so much better. Also, when she accidentally  uses Earthbending in the match. It's so unnoticeable. I can understand what happened, but it's not very clear. You just see like... an explosion of elements, nothing more.

And in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNVzmkJzjA

When Naga starts to chase Pabu. It would've been so much better if we actually got to see Naga noticing Pabu. Now we just see her randomly freaking out and running in the wrong direction, and we don't even know why. Sure, we see Pabu in the shot after that, but I just don't like how it's directed.

momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #990 on: Apr 19, 2012 02:29 pm »

And in this clip:

When Naga starts to chase Pabu. It would've been so much better if we actually got to see Naga noticing Pabu. Now we just see her randomly freaking out and running in the wrong direction, and we don't even know why. Sure, we see Pabu in the shot after that, but I just don't like how it's directed.

Am I missing something? I've yet to see Pabu. Unless another episode leaked.

Sig by arasam22
RickW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #991 on: Apr 19, 2012 02:41 pm »

And in this clip:

Am I missing something? I've yet to see Pabu. Unless another episode leaked.

It's a preview from the next week's episode.
MuscularTophFan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #992 on: Apr 19, 2012 05:59 pm »

I can't wait till the net new episode.  I wonder which new characters we will see in the next episode.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #993 on: Apr 19, 2012 06:24 pm »

Also, when she accidentally  uses Earthbending in the match. It's so unnoticeable. I can understand what happened, but it's not very clear. You just see like... an explosion of elements, nothing more.

She doesn't 'accidentally' earthbend. She does it pretty clearly on purpose. She sees three elemental attacks coming her way, panics, and goes HUUEAAAGGGHHHH and earthbends. It just happens very fast, but it's supposed to happen fast, since she just wanted to prevent the attacks from hitting her all at the same time.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #994 on: Apr 19, 2012 06:35 pm »

^ I think Rick meant 'accidently' as in 'by reflex, without thinking about it'. It's clear that she wasn't consciously planning to earthbend since she said before that she would only use waterbending.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #995 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:09 pm »

Aaah, ok, in that sense of the word then yeah. I guess I see that more as "unintentional" than "accidental". She did do it on purpose, even though at the same time it was a reflex reaction. Like "oh crap that's gonna hurt, gotta cover my face!" *earthbend*
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 07:11 pm by SMBH » Logged

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #996 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:15 pm »

It was still an accident though. While she did intentionally protect herself, she accidentally revealed herself. Though it's questionable whether or not she wanted to reveal herself.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #997 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:21 pm »

^ Why would she want to reveal herself? She knew she could get kicked out of the team for that, I don't think she's recalcitrant enough to break the rules just for the heck of it.

neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #998 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:31 pm »

^Which is why "accident" was the word chosen. But unintentional is a better word.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #999 on: Apr 19, 2012 07:31 pm »

While she did intentionally protect herself, she accidentally revealed herself.

Yes, this is a good way of phrasing what happened in those few seconds.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: