Sep 19, 2017 09:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 110 (46.8%)
9 - 64 (27.2%)
8 - 36 (15.3%)
7 - 15 (6.4%)
6 - 7 (3%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 1 (0.4%)
Total Voters: 235

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101] Welcome to Republic City  (Read 70258 times)
Flipdark95
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1150 on: Jun 23, 2013 10:58 pm »

^ Well... technically. He can control the Avatar state now, but there are plenty of benders out there who are far more proficient tha he is with the elements. Toph, Katara and Zuko for example.

Dare to be Badass.

Changing Elements
Rising Tide
Breaking Ice
Raging Flame[
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1151 on: Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm »

Did everyone just magically forget Aang literally became a fully realized avatar in less than 9 months?

Define "fully realized". This has been used in the series more than once and it annoys me that they don't clarify what being a fully realized avatar requires.

Besides, it actually took him 13 years to reach that point (assuming he turned a year older), 113 if you include the ice burg.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #1152 on: Jun 25, 2013 12:26 pm »

Did everyone just magically forget Aang literally became a fully realized avatar in less than 9 months?

Define "fully realized". This has been used in the series more than once and it annoys me that they don't clarify what being a fully realized avatar requires.

Besides, it actually took him 13 years to reach that point (assuming he turned a year older), 113 if you include the ice burg.

It appears they define it as an Avatar who has learned all four elements along with fully mastering the Avatar State and can go in and out at will. Aang showcased his mastery of the Avatar State after he defeated Ozai and entered the Avatar State momentary to end the forest fire.

And it didn't take him 113 or 13 years. It took him 9 months of learning the other three elements and mastering the avatar state which Avatar Roku referred to before as "beginning his avatar training".
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1153 on: Jun 25, 2013 12:48 pm »

So learning airbending those other 12 years doesn't count towards learning one of the elements?

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #1154 on: Jun 25, 2013 01:32 pm »

^ Yeah, but it doesn't count as Avatar training. Just regular airbender training.

sfgiantsfanmike
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1155 on: Jul 07, 2014 10:26 pm »

So just started a run through the first two seasons, as I finally was able to pick up season two this week end, and had a few thoughts on the first episode:

Very good intro to the series. We get introduced to Korra, see her exuberance and passion as well as her rashness on full display (not to mention full BA status). We see the beginnings of the troubles in the city... and, as a bit of a shocker on my third or fourth time through the episode, the lack of understanding of WHAT the Avatar is, even in Lin Beifong.

Her line about waltzing into the city and doling out vigilante justice... just irked me bad. I get that Korra messed up dealing with those thugs but as the Avatar she has the authority to due so. Doesn't matter if your government doesn't like it, support it or acknowledge it: the Avatar IS the sheriff in town.

Again, I know Korra handled that poorly and should have been called down on it. That's a given, it reminded me of the 'Ultimate Spider-Man' where he takes down Trapper (or whoever that was) but the whole block is a mess afterward. She needs to learn to control the collateral damage and when to let someone go...

The another related topic is how Korra sees herself. Yes, she's brash but she lacks self-confidence and doesn't seem to understand just who she is. She has the head knowledge of being the Avatar, even has some understanding of what it means (to serve, great line in the end sequence) but hasn't fully got a handle on it. I know she'll get there eventually but it's kind of sad to see her, the most powerful being on the planet, so used to taking orders and seeming to let others decide her path. I know she grows in this over the next 25+ episodes and it'll be fun to watch, as I'll be watching for it and hopefully seeing it through the 'fun' the series is.

Anyway, sorry for the mini-blog. Had all that swirling in my mind and had to get it out somewhere...
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #1156 on: Sep 01, 2014 01:28 pm »

I watched this episode again (watching each episode of the series for a third time), and I noticed how different the voices sound hear than later on. Jinora, Ikki, and Lin Beifong all sound different.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1157 on: Sep 01, 2014 03:03 pm »

I didn't really find their voices different, except Jinora and Ikki sound a bit older nowadays.

Janet's voice (Korra) sounds so much younger at the start of the show. It's kinda appropriate, as she acts as much more of a teenager than later in the series.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #1158 on: Sep 01, 2014 06:08 pm »

I didn't really find their voices different, except Jinora and Ikki sound a bit older nowadays.

Janet's voice (Korra) sounds so much younger at the start of the show. It's kinda appropriate, as she acts as much more of a teenager than later in the series.

Yeah, Korra sounds really different too. She goes through so much though.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Colonel_Brian
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1159 on: Dec 30, 2014 07:17 pm »

A fantastic introduction to an otherwise dissappointing season. Though even during my first watch I thought that the episode seemed pretty fast-paced. A lot went on and I felt as if some scenes did not get to breathe. Also, does Lin's voice sound different this episode? I am of the opinion that voice actors ought to listen to their character's voice in order to avoid flanderizing it. This is not to say that Lin's actress ceased to produce quality work, I think she does, only that the difference in her voice is pretty noticeable.

Moving on, I appreciate what I thought the show was trying to do. I am glad that the series finale addressed some of the issues brought up in this episode such as the loss of spirituality and the general meaness in Republic City, but when this plotline is dropped early on in the season that introduced it, I find it problematic. Anywho, I loved the introduction to Tenzin and his family and yes even Korra. The scene in the end was quite well done. I always loved Tenzin and Korra's relationship. It was one of the handfull of things I thought was consistently well done.
Esperaholon
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1160 on: Jan 08, 2015 04:58 pm »

Brian can I ask why this a disappointing season for you? This is definitely my second favorite season - because it has most of my favorite sequences in it. Season 2 is my favorite season, and season three is obvious third. Book 4 sucked.... so yeah.

But anyway I just wonder if only because some of your complaints seem more subjective then an actual issue - although after the Korrasami thing and Korra being an apparently awful person or whatever maybe I'm the one missing the points displayed.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: