Apr 27, 2017 03:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Episode:
10 - 110 (46.8%)
9 - 64 (27.2%)
8 - 36 (15.3%)
7 - 15 (6.4%)
6 - 7 (3%)
5 - 1 (0.4%)
4 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (0.4%)
1 - 1 (0.4%)
Total Voters: 235

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [101] Welcome to Republic City  (Read 67593 times)
daventry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1125 on: Apr 21, 2012 03:12 pm »

Is Aang the First Avatar to have Children  Huh
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1126 on: Apr 21, 2012 03:14 pm »

Not if Ursa and Zuko were really descended from Roku. Wink

tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #1127 on: Apr 21, 2012 03:14 pm »

^^ No, Roku, had chidren as his granddaughter was Ursa, and Kyoshi had a daughter named Koko.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #1128 on: Apr 21, 2012 03:16 pm »

Why wouldn't the previous Avatars have children?

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
daventry
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1129 on: Apr 21, 2012 03:17 pm »

Cool Cheesy
MomoSan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Boy, you are really starting to lose it, kid.

« Reply #1130 on: Apr 23, 2012 06:57 pm »

Yeah, all of that Avatar power has to get dispersed through the genes of the people of Avatarworld somehow. Part of it's spiritual, but part of it has to be genetics.
Akira Takahashi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1131 on: Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am »

I haven't been on in a while, and I'm not keen on reading all the pages here right yet, so I'll just post my review for the first episode.

First of all, I might sound a bit harsh on the new series, but that's only because I'm still attached to the old characters and don't expect this new series to be anywhere near as good as the original. With that being said, it might be a good thing that I'm at the same place I was after watching the first episode(s) of the original series: excellent animation, not so great everything else.

What I didn't like: (get this out of the way)

The first thing that turned me off was young Korra. Was it her arrogance? The way she completely didn't act like a toddler? I'm sure those things played a part, but I was really turned off by the fact that at such a young age, she could already bend three of the four elements!  How is that even possible?  What happened to the whole picking familiar toys thing?  Or keeping the Avatar's identity a secret until he/she turns 16?  The reasons for that are obvious, so this recent twist was hard to swallow.  It's like they through thousands of years of tradition out the window, and I can't figure out why.

Granted, after watching the next two episodes, I think doing it that way was interesting, as Korra doesn't seem to have any semblance of "self" outside of being the Avatar - a card she plays constantly, unlike Aang.  However, I still believe it could have been done in a simpler way.

Now, once we fast forward to teenage Korra, I began to like it better.  It was great seeing Katara again, too, although I don't like her kid or grandkids.  I also can't believe she outlived everyone!  That doesn't make that much sense, but I'll go with it for now.  It seemed to hint that Toph was dead as well, which is sad, as I was really expecting her to be the new King Bumi-type character: old, crazy, but a power-house!

Here's what I did like:

First of all, while I was skeptical of the industrial revolution thing going on, I now think it's perfect.  The power struggle between tradition and modernity is represented in a way that reminds me of Meiji-era Japan.  The Black Ships brought with them the modern turn of the western world, creating a conflict between the hyper-traditional Japanese people.  It wasn't uncommon to see people in western suits walking amongst people in kimonos.  Some people embraced the 'blessings' of the west whilst others decried it, feeling as though their own culture was slipping away and that Japan could soon become just another colony for westerners to live.

To see that struggle playing out in Republic City is great.  I'm still attached to the more feudal world represented in the original series, but from an intellectual point of view, this new steampunkish world is an interesting one to think on, and the way it strains Korra's relationship with Tenzin is done in a superb way.

I also really liked the hints of upcoming conflict between the Equalists and everyone who's okay with bending.  This is a point that a lot of stories that contain super-powered characters leaves out.  Namely, how do 'normal' people cope with the fact that there are seemingly superior people all about them.

I think back to the Harry Potter books and how I really wished that muggles and squibs were given a little more time.  I think a lot of muggles would have reacted to the wizarding world with jealousy, the way Harry's aunt did.  You also have squibs, who are essentially muggles living within the wizarding world because of their parentage.  All we really know about them is that, in the eyes of wizards, they're inferior beings.

We never see a competent muggle or squib in the wizarding world.  If Filch had gotten a hold of some sort of gun, imagine how that would've turned out!  Hermione choosing to wipe her parents memories as well, which is just another indication that wizards and witches obviously think that if it weren't for them, muggles would just wait around to die.  It always did bother me a bit.

In the original series, we also got a hint that Sokka felt inferior to his friends because of his lack of bending.  As such, I'm excited that this is a real issue in the new series.  You can't give some people amazing power and expect that the other group is going to sit back and say, "Well, it sucks to be me!  Oh well!"  So that struggle is interesting.  Is one group right and other wrong?  It'll be interesting to see what sort of take on it this series brings us.

Oh, and who can forget the animation?  It was excellent, that it was!
Faye
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" how about the King of the.. guys who don't win?"

« Reply #1132 on: May 06, 2012 12:48 pm »

Whaaat? Kyoshi had a daughter? Checked Wiki and wow I had no idea.

Kyoshi is such a huge lady in a Amazon kind of way. OH WOW. Who's Koko's dad? Kyoshi's so old when she died..

Yeah I was in a eyebrow raising mood when I saw that Korra had already started using three elements but lives during peacetime so I guess fire-benders and earth-benders were more willing to teach her but it seems that she was already fire-bending before any teacher was assigned to her.

Korra knew she was a bender earlier than Aang too. I don't if it's just an air nomad tradition when it comes to telling the Avatar about their destiny at age sixteen. She might found out on her own like Harry Potter when he talked to that snaked at the zoo.

The show is promising but TLA set bar really high and I miss the old cast so bad. When Korra is over, I will probably re watch TLA more.

"Sweeeeet" -Toph Beifong
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #1133 on: May 26, 2012 10:12 am »

It had been a few weeks since the last time I re-watched this episode, and now that I'm watching it again on TV (though in the small TV in the bedroom because I'm chained to the desk in my office because the stupid wireless router refuses to work) it made me remember how much I loved seeing old lady Katara. Nearly tearbended when she sadly says to Tenzin "you're not staying, are you?" Cry

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
luvavatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1134 on: May 27, 2012 01:40 am »

On the young Korra being able to bend three elements, it's possible that she saw other benders (as the world has become more integrated, they have huge ocean liners going to the South Pole) and copied them. It must have been really funny seeing this young waterbender girl try to firebend or earthbend and she suddenly does it. By discovering it herself at a young age the OWL couldn't really keep it a secret from her until 16 and decided to train her asap.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1135 on: May 27, 2012 03:16 pm »

Or her parents bought her some scrolls. "Here, sweetie, read these and stop trying to make your sneeze fire."

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1136 on: May 28, 2012 10:13 pm »

By discovering it herself at a young age the OWL couldn't really keep it a secret from her until 16 and decided to train her asap.

This. A lot of people seem to have a hard time digesting this.

I'm sure it has happened with other Avatars though in the past. Imagine you as a little Earthbender having bad allergies...and then you accidentally start sneezing fireballs.

The Avatar's powers manifest at birth not at puberty. So I'm sure similar scenarios have happened in the past.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Weege the Airbender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Airbender for Life

« Reply #1137 on: Jun 09, 2012 02:09 pm »

I thought this was a great start to the series. Bryke are such trolls! Anyhow, I really like how this episode has a long intro like the first episode of TLA.

"I told you I would destroy you."
"With you out of the way, I will be the one true Avatar."
"Your name will echo throughout history: Korra, the last Avatar."
Arson
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1138 on: Jan 11, 2013 06:37 pm »

Finally got around to watching TLOK..

I finished TLAB in 10 days, I got so attached to all of those characters and when Katara said "Aang's time has passed. My brother and many of my friends are gone." My soul got crushed, I mean I knew that TLAB was over but I though most of the characters would still appear in the second show as minor characters. Boy was I wrong.  Sad

I thought I wasn't going to like the show taking place in the early 20th century, because I'm not a fan of new technology in the Avatarverse. But they've but an I dunno-.. Steampunk feel to it? It reminded me a bit of the game Dishonored.  Grin

With all this being said, my attention in the episode kept going to 'all the new stuff' instead of the plot, had to watch it twice. Heh Tongue
It's going to take me a few episodes to get used to seeing cars around..

TheArchitect
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1139 on: Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm »

I finished TLAB in 10 days, I got so attached to all of those characters and when Katara said "Aang's time has passed. My brother and many of my friends are gone." My soul got crushed, I mean I knew that TLAB was over but I though most of the characters would still appear in the second show as minor characters. Boy was I wrong.  Sad

It took me a while to get used to the idea of not watching many of the Gaang again (hope not all of them are dead - we already know Katara isn't) and got a personal crush after the following Katara's sentence  - "It's time for you and your generation to take on the responsibility of keeping peace and balance in the world." I felt it like Bryke telling us "ok guys, so this is it, this is the time for the new Gang (can't ever write it with double 'a')"  but in a good way, of course. It was a bit shocking cause I hoped we could see the Gaang again and... well, guess one just moves on and and there you find the new Gang is amazing too Smiley

I aabsolutely enjoyed LoK and this chapter...just one point - What happened to Zuko's mom?

Ikki... ¬¬

Keeper of Wan Shi Tong's Library, Jinora's education and Azula and Noatak's tears.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1140 on: Apr 28, 2013 09:49 pm »

Because they didn't want to?

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do the thing!

« Reply #1141 on: Apr 29, 2013 10:50 pm »

Because they didn't want to?

There were thousands of Avatars, chances are at least a few became parents.

Sig by Guitarfreak.
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #1142 on: Apr 30, 2013 10:18 am »

^Exactly. Out of the 6 that we know, 3 have been confirmed to have children (Kyoshi, Roku, Aang). That's a strong indication that many others have had children. Of them, Kuruk probably would have had Ummi not been taken and Korra is still young/doesn't seem to be wanting children at this point, so that just really leaves Yangchen that we don't know about.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Ceibita
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

=(^.^)=

« Reply #1143 on: Jun 22, 2013 06:00 pm »

A few people have said that Korra didn't act like a toddler--what exactly do y'all mean by that???

Is it because she was good at bending? There's a lot of 4 year olds in my taekwondo class, and while most of them are unsure of their movements, messy, and totally and completely distracted, there's a few that are really calm, focused, and have really good stances and forms. If Korra is a prodigy in martial arts and bending, I think it'd be perfectly normal for her to bend fire, earth, and water as well as she did in that short scene.

Or is it because she was arrogant? Lots of little kids are loud, outspoken, and direct.

アバターが好きだよ!
NoName999
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

World's Greatest Voidbender

« Reply #1144 on: Jun 22, 2013 06:33 pm »

I thought it was probably because she did all those things.... at the age of seven ****ing teen. Tongue

Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1145 on: Jun 23, 2013 04:29 pm »

She was pretty much confined to a compound with no social life. With that amount of time and the fact that the avatar is a natural (I mean it's literally in her nature and who she is), it's more than reasonable for her to have mastered 3 bending styles in 13 years.

People in real life are just as capable when it comes to martial arts or other skills. It just depends on how devoted you are to it. Just look at Mozart. He wasn't born with the ability to write music, his father taught him. He was writing symphonies by age 8. Time and effort was given to reach that skill.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #1146 on: Jun 23, 2013 04:48 pm »

If it were truth you would read about me in newspapers, yet even teachers with skills of St. Paul and Peter combined couldn't manage to teach me to play the simplest melody on piano Tongue Not every person is born with imagination of writer, coordination of surgeon and lung volume of Michael Peleps and the whole problem is to find your niche to develop in.

I'd say that clumsiness of regular toddler is much exacerbated in media- Korra seems to be well developed but not to level unheard of. With life path found quite early, she had begun training before her peers started to wonder what to do for living- over 4 years for learning of style seems to be enough for prodigy.

The only thing that bothers me is why she was sheltered so much- meant to manage affair of world, yet was isolated from it at the age when regular people have time to develop their talents and learn about society. Did they think that they will release her from glided cage as a fully formed woman with opinion on every matter? Yet she doesn't know about so simple things like paying for obtained goods.

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1147 on: Jun 23, 2013 04:52 pm »

I think that's more about Water Tribe society than being "sheltered" by the White Lotus. Close-knit tribes like we saw with the Southern Water Tribe are pretty much communist in function.

Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #1148 on: Jun 23, 2013 04:58 pm »

So she was sheltered by living in close-knit community with no or very little information about world outside- what they meant her to do, sit for one extra year and take classes about geopolitical state of the society? IIRC Roku travelled to his masters, Aang also saw a chunk of the world by himself so they could give own judgements. While Lotus doesn't consist of beggar monks, why wouldn't they pack whole family and buy them a ticket for long vacation? People take greater lengths and sacrifices to provide proper education for their kids. Or maybe OWL wanted Korra to be too naive to handle affairs by herself?  

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
The Mug Mugger
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Adult Toph is HAWT!

« Reply #1149 on: Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm »

Did everyone just magically forget Aang literally became a fully realized avatar in less than 9 months?
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: