Oct 21, 2017 05:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Social media of ATLA & TLOK staff (Bryan, Mike, voice actors, etc...)  (Read 648873 times)
PrincessBlazefire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Genji got NO chill

« Reply #8025 on: Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am »

Ohhhh boy. Now here's a touchy subject.

I have... mixed feelings about this. While I think it's cool that writers listen to fans and try to give them a story that they would want to read/see/hear, I also think it's a risky business because put frankly, there is NO away that you're gonna be able to please everyone. And if you start implementing fandom things into canon, then you're basically picking and choosing who your favorite fans are and pandering to them specifically. Not everyone in fandom agrees on things, so it's unfair that only some people get their ideas into the story and not the others.

Also, doing this sort of thing very much comes across like lazy writing. Like, you as the writer couldn't figure out what needed to happen by yourself? You had to have the audience come up with the story for you?? What am I even bothering with this story for then if I have to make up portions of the story myself??

I've been having to deal with this very issue once again in Overwatch. This wonderful, creative world was created that so many people are interested in, but the writers have no idea what they're doing with the story (they even outright said this publicly!). They've retconned a lot of things already, to the point where they cancelled an entire graphic novel delving into the past of Overwatch literally days before it was supposed to be released. It's a giant mess right now. But you know what? At least they've been honest about it. Jeff Kaplan, the head of the Overwatch team, has clearly stated that they listen to the fandom and want to implement things that the fandom wants to see in the story and basically have told everyone that the story is ours to interpret and mold into what we want it to be. It's frustrating, but I appreciate their honesty about all of it. I'd much rather the writers be upfront about their struggles with writing the story than skirting around the issue, acting like everything's fine, but still being influenced by fandom without saying anything.

mmoon24
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8026 on: Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm »

Most likely, no one will ever know. It would upset one side or the other.
Fire Rose
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8027 on: Jul 21, 2017 07:06 pm »

Ohhhh boy. Now here's a touchy subject.

I have... mixed feelings about this. While I think it's cool that writers listen to fans and try to give them a story that they would want to read/see/hear, I also think it's a risky business because put frankly, there is NO away that you're gonna be able to please everyone. And if you start implementing fandom things into canon, then you're basically picking and choosing who your favorite fans are and pandering to them specifically. Not everyone in fandom agrees on things, so it's unfair that only some people get their ideas into the story and not the others.

Also, doing this sort of thing very much comes across like lazy writing. Like, you as the writer couldn't figure out what needed to happen by yourself? You had to have the audience come up with the story for you?? What am I even bothering with this story for then if I have to make up portions of the story myself??

It's one thing to listen to fans for feedback on the story (the constructive criticism kind) but it's another to have the fans tell the story for you. Have M&B really gotten lazy?
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #8028 on: Jul 21, 2017 07:12 pm »

I think we have to draw the line between storytelling that's meant to be art and storytelling that's meant to be crowd-pleasing entertainment. Bowing to audience demands in either one isn't a good thing (audiences don't actually know what they like), but for the latter kind of storytelling, it isn't a bad thing to pay attention to audience reaction and then making adjustment to hit the notes you want to hit. Like, "Oh, that character wasn't meant to be taken as sympathetic, just having a recognizable kind of evil, so I better make the character worse." That's fine.

It starts to get a bit blurrier if it becomes about giving more focus and story to a minor character who has become popular. Good things can come from that, or else a balance can be thrown off and a character never meant to be more than one-note loses its charm or becomes a weight around the neck of the plot. Same thing with romances being introduced for characters who were never meant to be together but who the audience has "shipped."

And then there's "art." In that case, audience reaction isn't something that the artist should, usually, pay attention to. The art is an expression from the artist, but traditionally there's no mandate that the artist's intent actually be perceived. It's kind of what makes art weird.

So if the quote is meant to highlight that there are two opposing kinds of audiences, then it's kind of a no-brainer. There are people who want to appreciate their favorite entertainment as art, and sometimes that entertainment is meant to be art. In that case, it's expected that much of the story would have been planned out at the beginning. Then there's popular entertainment, where shippers can reasonably expect to influence things if they reach a critical audience mass.

If it's meant to say that everyone has those two sides in them, and people are therefore awful, then I don't agree.

If it's meant to say that it's tough being a storyteller because nowadays both of those kinds of audiences inevitably show up, well, that's why Hollywood storytellers get paid the big bucks, right? Cheesy

Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8029 on: Jul 23, 2017 12:08 am »

Oh yeah, KorraNation posted some pictures reminding people that there's going to be a booth selling Avatar and Korra books at SDCC. They posted gifs of them flipping through Turf Wars and the Korra colouring book too. Looks like a bunch of the other books will be available too.

This probably means that some people have read the whole of Turf Wars already?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #8030 on: Jul 23, 2017 04:41 am »

Well, it's due to be released on 26 Jul so I'm not surprised Dark Horse sold copies early at SDCC.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
hmweasley
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8031 on: Jul 24, 2017 04:19 am »

This probably means that some people have read the whole of Turf Wars already?

There are people posting pictures of their signed copies on Tumblr and talking about what happens in it.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: