Nov 18, 2019 10:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ASN Interview #1] Gene Luen Yang goes penguin-sledding with ASN  (Read 23306 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« on: Jan 25, 2012 07:05 am »

A few days ago we asked you to submit your questions for Gene Luen Yang, writer of "The Promise". ASN staff picked a few of the questions to ask him, and Gene has kindly taken time out of his busy schedule to answer them!

An introduction to the interview can be found on the ASN mainsite here, and the full interview can be found here.

You can go ahead and discuss Gene's answers in this thread =)
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2012 07:32 pm by NeeNee » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012 09:13 am »

Thanks for all your input guys. =D Though I think we shouldn't cram too many sentences into one question next time. =P

IROH IS ALIVE! Whoo-hoo!

More Suki kicking ass in Part 3? Please tell me there's more butt kicking from her. =)

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012 09:24 am »

Yeah, we probably shouldn't have tried to cram as much information in as few questions as possible Tongue  Next time, if there is a next time, the questions will be short and sweet, even if there's tons of them.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Star Outlaw
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Are you okay?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012 09:51 am »

I wonder exactly how much focus Toph will get in the next volume. I'm glad that Iroh is still around. I was worried that Gene had just forgotten about him, but it's good that he didn't. I don't think we'll see Ursa again until near the very end of this series.

Check out my Avatar Music Videos.

I keep Pabu. Sig by LeonsKennedy4815
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am »

I wished Gene would have gone into more of why Zuko is seemingly seeking advice for Ozai, though I think things are not what they seem and that there is more to this. Good to hear that there will be talk/or the relationship between Zuko and Iroh being seen(I hope they haven't really grown apart). Also, glad to hear that Aang and Zuko's kind of family relation might be touched on or mentioned and that Azula will make an appearance.
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am »

Yay! Lots of Suki in part 3! I'm now officially happy  Cheesy.

And what about this "the Avatar foreshadows Republic City"? Isn't the Avatar a many thousands years old entity? Does it mean that there were other "Republic Cities"? Because you know, foreshadowing something for thousands of years is a bit... lame.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012 11:08 am »

I wished Gene would have gone into more of why Zuko is seemingly seeking advice for Ozai, though I think things are not what they seem and that there is more to this.

There's certainly more to it.  He avoided the question completely.  I have a feeling the advice Zuko asks for will clear things up.

Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012 11:24 am »

Wow! Interesting stuff!

I think I could understand why Gene wouldn't say anything about why Zuko went back to Ozai for advice.

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012 01:20 pm »

Interesting. I'm a little upset he didn't say anything about Ty Lee though. I'll wait until after volume 3 is released before I make any final judgments on "The Promise."

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012 01:24 pm »

Wow, lots of info. Smiley

It was to be expected that he would have to refuse many of the plot questions. We know that Iroh and Azula are in there, though, and Ursa isn't.

I do hope there will be more comics after this...

Breakfast at Tophs
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

love is watching someone die

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012 01:30 pm »

Thank you for the interview, I definitely glad that Iroh will appear.   

Sig and Avie by the very lovely Georgie
Proud keeper of Narook\'s seaweed noodlery
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012 01:44 pm »

Thanks for the interview guys! It seems like he was able to dodge answering some because there was so much in one question, but it was still informative. Grin

Sigs are for the weak
Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2012 02:40 pm »

I haven't read the interview yet, but was this done over text or phone and was just transcribed? Curious. Smiley

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012 02:55 pm »

"Gene Luen Yang is the writer for the first 3 graphic novels in this exciting project"...

First three?

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012 02:59 pm »

^ Hopefully!

But speculation on future books goes here. Smiley
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=20296.0

plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2012 03:04 pm »

^ Hopefully!

But speculation on future books goes here. Smiley
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=20296.0

I only brought it up because it was in the actual interview. This being the thread for the actual interview and all... I thought maybe I had missed some actual (factual) information regarding future books.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2012 03:06 pm »

^ He said he doesn't know anything about it, so I guess not...

It would be great if they had already more things planned though. Smiley

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012 04:33 pm »

Great interview! I really liked seeing his take on Aang's character -- I liked that new perspective. Always succumbing to peer pressure, that Aang. =P

And I knew he would avoid questions about the plot. Because, well, we've only seen the first book in a trilogy. We just gotta be patient for those answers, yanno?

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smellerbee's twin and first ever Borra shipper~

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012 05:23 pm »

Yeah, a lot of pleading the fifth. XD

I liked the answers he gave, though. :3

No lemurs or bison? D:

At least we get more Suki!

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."
ME GUSTA KORRA NATION: http://sot.ag/MzkzMjE1/
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2012 06:00 pm »

Let's hope the wrong person doesn't become Aang's friend, he'll do anything for them!

Sigs are for the weak
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012 06:58 pm »

I actually think with Gene's take on Aang's personality sort of justifies him agreeing to kill Zuko. I can see him giving into to peer pressure. But still, all of his friends and his past lives were telling him to kill Ozai and he did not give in.
It sounds like there won't be a big time skip though.  Gene also seems like he is an actual fan and that he at least knows somewhat how to handle these characters. Though it could just be that he actually listens to Mike and Bryan.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2012 07:11 pm »

What I want to know was what was with Katara??? Unless her death glare was a "don't you dare" look?

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2012 08:01 pm »

I actually think with Gene's take on Aang's personality sort of justifies him agreeing to kill Zuko. I can see him giving into to peer pressure. But still, all of his friends and his past lives were telling him to kill Ozai and he did not give in.

Well, its a little different when its going against all of your beliefs in life...

EDIT: Even though.... Killing anyone in general is against his beliefs... so... I don't know... An excuse?
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2012 08:13 pm by iwashere » Logged

Sigs are for the weak
somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2012 08:05 pm »

Yes!!!! Azula's BACK!!!! Cheesy

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
Smellerbee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Freedom Fighter

« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2012 08:17 pm »

Wow. He totally avoided every question dealing with couples or plot.  Cheesy

Triplets with RomoineRawr and Dorky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: