Dec 08, 2019 05:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Submit questions for Gene Yang (possible spoiler warning)  (Read 22183 times)
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« on: Jan 18, 2012 03:29 am »

Good news, everyone!
ASN will have the chance to interview Gene Yang pretty soon, and we'd like to open the floor to questions from everyone. The more people there are to submit questions, the better chance we'll have of getting interesting questions that haven't been asked before Cheesy

Questions can be about Gene's job, the process of writing the comic books, the plot of the comics, character development, shipping, etc. Everyone, please note that among the questions posted here there could be spoilers for "The Promise, Part 1", so proceed at your own risk if you don't want to be spoiled.

Bad news, everyone...
I'm afraid I have to give you all a very tight deadline, since ASN staff will need time to cull through the questions and pick 10-12 to send to Gene. So you'll only have a very short time to post your questions.

DEADLINE
Please submit your questions by posting them in this thread no later than Friday, 20 January 2012, at 9pm US Eastern time. You can use this handy timezone converter to figure out when this deadline falls in your local timezone.

Update 25/jan/2012: You can discuss the interview in this new thread.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2012 03:07 pm by NeeNee » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012 03:31 am »

Whoo-hoo, yay!

- The last page showed Zuko slipping back after so much character development, that angered a lot of fans. Any reason for that?

- Where's Iroh in the comic? A lot of the fans are worried he's dead.

- Zuko has been Fire Lord for a year now and there's still no engagement to Mai. Any problems in their relationship?

- What about the other ships? We see no Sokka and Suki interaction, are they no longer together? What about Smellerbee and Longshot?

- You mentioned in earlier interviews that you wanted to introduce "conflict" in Katara and Aang's relationship. What kind of conflict did you have in mind?

- How did Smellerbee and Longshot escape from Lake Laogai? Will we get to know about that in the comics?

- Were you a fanboy of the cartoon series? How did it feel when you could work with the creators?

- Could you tell us more about the comic writing process? How long does it take from the start to the publishing of the comic?

- Ultimately, we know Aang and Zuko will create Republic City together so would the character development of both characters be mind blowing awesome? =D
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 07:13 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012 03:36 am »

My questions:

- Why does Katara nod at Aang when Zuko asks him to make the promise? What's the meaning behind that nod?

- Are the Royal Guards really that incompetent that so many assassination attempts have happened to Zuko, or have they been doing their job badly on purpose? Could they be Ozai loyalists who want to see the new firelord taken down?

- Are Longshot and Smellerbee a couple?

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012 03:41 am »

Will we see any character development for Suki, Ty Lee, and Mai?  Will they have any bigger part in the future comics?
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 04:26 am by aa623 » Logged

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012 03:51 am »

-Will we learn anything about Azula, like a possible recovery?

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
munchydino12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:42 am »

-If Gene were a bender, which element would he choose and why?
-Is Azula going to be shown in any single panel at all in Part 2 or Part 3?

fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:45 am »

will Azula be redeemed? during the course of the comics, is she already healed, or is still in the process of healing?
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:52 am »

- Will Suki have an active part in the story or will she ramain a background character?
- Is Sukka still up and running?
- Where is Iroh?
- What's about the five other assassins before Kori? Who were they? Whats happened with them?
- What's happened with the Dai Li?
- Where is Lo and Li?
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 06:59 am by AtoMaki » Logged

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
LadyKim
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Hold up, wait a minute, put a little love in it~

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012 07:35 am »

Does spirit Avatar Roku even know his great grandson is the new Firelord? (he kinda agreed on the promise Zuko and Aang made)
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 07:38 am by LadyKim » Logged

fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012 07:39 am »

-will the breaking ground of Republic City be shown in this comic series?
-will there be engagements of the canon couples?
-is Yu Dao really the future site of Republic City?
-will the mechanist start making new inventions that will eventually lead to the modern technology seen in Legend  of Korra?
-will the discovery of a herd of  flying bison  be shown in the comic series?

and lastly:

-will Zuko grow out his hair longer? Cheesy
Sianna
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2012 08:04 am »

*reads through questions*

No one's asked about Ursa yet? Tongue

-Do you know what happened to Ursa? Since this trilogy focuses on the founding of Republic City, are there any plans for future comics that cover Ursa and possibly Azula?

-Why were Aang and his friends so quick to assume that Zuko was turning into Ozai, and that he must die? Have they grown apart during the last year? In addition, why did Aang agree to kill his friend when his deep morals caused him to go out of his way to avoid killing a genocidal, evil dictator?

-Will Zuko ever tell Aang that Roku is his great-grandfather?

-Will Toph have any closure with her parents? Will we get a hint as to who her future husband will be?

-Will Kori and her family play a role in the future comics?

fire nation spirit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012 08:09 am »

*reads through questions*

No one's asked about Ursa yet? Tongue

because it's quite likely that even the issue of Ursa cannot be resolved in the comics....at least that's what i interpreted from the latest interview from Darkhorse
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2012 10:00 am »

Most of my questions have already been asked, but I'll still put them in my own words:

Like someone else said, fans are puzzled and concerned about Zuko going to his father for advice, there is a logical explaination for it, right?

More of a comment than a question, while there maybe be some conflict with the couples, I hope you are not planning on break up any couples(I like them as is), though I know you can't break up Aang and Katara for good.

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 01:08 pm by colle » Logged
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am »

I don't see the point of devoting one of our questions to Ursa. It's like beating a dead horse.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
Fugitiva
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2012 10:50 am »

^ Yes. He will give the same incomplete answers that he has given a thousand times to the many fans that already asked about Ursa. As for the couples, I doubt he would be allowed to break in a 240 page comic something that was solidly built in a successful tv series that ended years ago.
My question: Is there going to be a big surprise in this comic? Something that nobody expected?
RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smellerbee's twin and first ever Borra shipper~

« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2012 01:14 pm »

I second the Smellershot question (lol predictable).

But I suggest expanding it; asking if we'll see it in the comics or if it will potentially be hinted at. If we make the questions too blunt, we'll get blunt answers.

My version of said question: "Are Smellerbee and Longshot a couple, or do you intend to portray them that way in the comics? It's unclear in the series; can we (or will we) have any confirmation on that, or has it come up at all in your discussions with Mike and Bryan? Will we get to know how they escaped Lake Laogai? Will minor characters like Smellerbee and Longshot be explored much in this way? We did see that the story continues for the Freedom Fighters. How big of a role do they play?"

I dunno if you can make all that one question, but that's the best I can think of to get those sorts of questions answered.

Can we also ask how he feels about the leaks?
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 01:27 pm by RomioneRawr » Logged

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."
ME GUSTA KORRA NATION: http://sot.ag/MzkzMjE1/
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2012 02:32 pm »

-Will we see Hawky?

-Follow up: why not?

-Will we see Toph's baby daddy?

-Does he know if there's a chance of more comics after these ones?

Avapony
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're gonna need some upgrades

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2012 04:21 pm »

Is this the only comic series that will make the tie between Avatar: the last airbender and Avavar: the legend of Korra?

Or will there be something else coming out to make the connection as well?

PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2012 05:08 pm »

Whoo-hoo, yay!

- The last page showed Zuko slipping back after so much character development, that angered a lot of fans. Any reason for that?

- Where's Iroh in the comic? A lot of the fans are worried he's dead.

- Zuko has been Fire Lord for a year now and there's still no engagement to Mai. Any problems in their relationship?

- What about the other ships? We see no Sokka and Suki interaction, are they no longer together? What about Smellerbee and Longshot?

- You mentioned in earlier interviews that you wanted to introduce "conflict" in Katara and Aang's relationship. What kind of conflict did you have in mind?

- How did Smellerbee and Longshot escape from Lake Laogai? Will we get to know about that in the comics?

- Were you a fanboy of the cartoon series? How did it feel when you could work with the creators?

- Could you tell us more about the comic writing process? How long does it take from the start to the publishing of the comic?

- Ultimately, we know Aang and Zuko will create Republic City together so would the character development of both characters be mind blowing awesome? =D

^I second those, those are really great questions, especially the ones I bolded Tongue

- Why does Katara nod at Aang when Zuko asks him to make the promise? What's the meaning behind that nod?

^THIS.
Why does Katara so quick to want Zuko to die? He did sort of potentially sacrifice his life for hers. Gosh, Katara, someone's still bitter about Ba Sing Se are we?

- Is Sukka still up and running?

^I need to know! Cry

- Where is Lo and Li?

- What's about the five other assassins before Kori? Who were they? Whats happened with them?

^Those are good questions.

Does spirit Avatar Roku even know his great grandson is the new Firelord? (he kinda agreed on the promise Zuko and Aang made)
^THIS. This so hard. Also: Will Zuko and Aang ever find out that they are technically related?

-Do you know what happened to Ursa? Since this trilogy focuses on the founding of Republic City, are there any plans for future comics that cover Ursa and possibly Azula?

^THIS. But I think it should be mentioned that we saw the interview with Bryke by Darkhorse that lead to these speculations.

-Why were Aang and his friends so quick to assume that Zuko was turning into Ozai, and that he must die? Have they grown apart during the last year? In addition, why did Aang agree to kill his friend when his deep morals caused him to go out of his way to avoid killing a genocidal, evil dictator?

^Yes, Aang, what's with your sudden urge to agree to murders? Tongue
-Will Zuko ever tell Aang that Roku is his great-grandfather?
[/b]
^Again, YES

-Will Toph have any closure with her parents? Will we get a hint as to who her future husband will be?

^SECONDED!

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2012 05:23 pm »

-Will we see the Gaang all grown up with kids and everything? *sniffle*

-Will the main conflict in The Promise be mostly between Zuko and Aang, or will we have an outside villain messing around with things?

-Will you be doing other comic series involving Avatar: The Last Airbender?

-Do you know if we'll have any comics about Korra herself?

-What's your favorite step in the comic-making process?

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Breakfast at Tophs
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

love is watching someone die

« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2012 05:58 pm »

Has Toph reconciled with her parents and do they support her creating the school

Sig and Avie by the very lovely Georgie
Proud keeper of Narook\'s seaweed noodlery
Smellerbee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Freedom Fighter

« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:02 pm »

Are Smellerbee and Longshot a couple, or do you intend to portray them that way in the comics? It's unclear in the series; can we (or will we) have any confirmation on that, or has it come up at all in your discussions with Mike and Bryan? Will we get to know how they escaped Lake Laogai? Will minor characters like Smellerbee and Longshot be explored much in this way? We did see that the story continues for the Freedom Fighters. How big of a role do they play?

Seconded. Big Time. We gotta ask about 'em because they rarely ever get asked about.

Also, Does Kori have a more important role?

Triplets with RomoineRawr and Dorky
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:10 pm »

Will there be another comic series beyond "The Promise"?

Why was Aang so quick to decide when making his "promise"? Why didn't he mull it over before answering Zuko?

Why did Katara encouage the answer of yes when Aang made his "promise"?

Will we see Kori in the following installments of "The Promise"? What about her family?

Do you know if Kori's multi-cultural family has any connection between Mako and Bolin's multi-cultural family?

Did you come up with the decision for Zuko to ask Ozai for advice at the end, or did you and Bryke collaborate on that?

And just for kicks and giggles:
Is Toph's baby daddy Dark Boy, or The Duke?

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:33 pm »

Azula has a large and loyal following and for three years fans have prayed that she would be able to get over her nervous breakdown and be out of the asylum as quickly as possible. The news that she would appear in “the promise” and that she got to keep her firebending sparked a bit of hope within the entire fan community.

In the interview with avatar wikia it was said,

“Gene Yang agrees with the rest of the Avatar community that Azula is a layered and fascinating character. He couldn’t tell us much about of the princess but she will definitely show up in The Promise, which discusses her being put away in the insane asylum.”

The phrase “discusses her being put away in the insane asylum.” indicates that she may still be there and we hope that is not the case. Can you please tell us what the conditions of the asylum are? Or whether or not she received visitors?

-

is Ursa a bender?

-

Why doesn’t Zuko ask the guru for help? He can help his sister recover and the guru can use the connection of between brother and sister to find there mother the same way he did with Apa and Aang.

-

What are the full capabilities of firebending? Can a fireBender create ice by sucking away the heat? Can they see heat the same way Toph can see vibrations? Can they use electro bending to bend metal?
I bet Azula could use that to escape. Cheesy

-

and will there be a comic that explains what happened in between the series and the promise?

-

what are the characters birthdays?
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2012 06:58 pm by azure_flame » Logged

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2012 06:42 pm »

For the Toph's baby's daddy question we should word it specifically so that it's a yes or no question that specifically narrows down the possibilities. For instance,

"Is Toph's baby's daddy in The Promise?"

If yes, then we have a good list to go off of. If no, then we know it's none of those characters.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: