Oct 20, 2019 03:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "My Brother and Many of My Friends..."  (Read 23615 times)
DuskQ
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Piandao.org

« on: Jan 15, 2012 11:49 pm »

I think Katara's blatant declaration that Sokka is dead, deserves its own discussion because the news is lost in much of the main thread about new leaked clips.

Old!Katara is seen catching Korra in the midst of "an escape." Korra seems to be sneaking away from the tribe on Naga and possibly from being held captive or at the very least grounded. She must be making for the now famous Republic City! Basically in the clip, Katara gives Korra a genuine hug and concedes that Korra has to find her own destiny as the Avatar.

Korra walks into a Southern Water Tribe stable in order to saddle Naga.

"Nice night for an escape isn't it?" Katara says from the doorway.

Korra cringes having been caught. Then she faces Katara.

"I have to leave. I have to find my own path as the Avatar."

Katara is smiling and nodding.

"I know you do."

Korra seems a bit surprise but also touched.

"Aang's time has passed. My brother and many of my friends are gone. It is time for you and your generation to take on the responsibility of keeping peace and balance in the world, and I think you're going to be a great Avatar."

Korra gives Katara a hug and says, "Thank you."

"Goodbye, Korra"

The scene cuts to Korra clearing some snow for Naga. Eventually she comes to what must be her parents' igloo. "Mom, dad, I'll miss you."

"We love you so much," says her mother.

Was it really such a big surprise that Sokka has passed away in the last 70 years? Of course, I felt very sad myself, like I heard about an acquaintance from childhood dying! Still he isn't a bender and it seems that benders have the best longevity.

How do you think Sokka died? Old age? A Rebellion? Sickness? Will it play into the plot, or will it just be a footnote for we fans of the prequel who wonder?

Who else counts as "most of her friends"? Suki? Ty Lee? Toph? Zuko? I might guess that the last two have the best chance at being alive for the show, but I might only put money on Toph.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2012 02:05 am by DuskQ » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012 11:50 pm »

My guess at Sokka's last words:

"TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF NO THE RED ONE NOT THE GREEN ONE OH MY YUEEEE-"

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012 11:54 pm »

Ty Lee's not Katara's friend (a girl can only take so many "CIRCUS FREAK" comments). That means she's alive. :|

I tease, but I'm betting Sokka died in an accident. The universe has always hated him.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012 11:56 pm »

I'm betting Sokka died in an accident. The universe has always hated him.

Poor Sokka Cry

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012 11:58 pm »

Ty Lee's not Katara's friend (a girl can only take so many "CIRCUS FREAK" comments). That means she's alive. :|

I tease, but I'm betting Sokka died in an accident. The universe has always hated him.
If Katara could be friends with Mai, she could be friends with Ty Lee.  I really hope Sokka died happy and old.

I really hope that Toph, Ty Lee, and Mai are still alive possibly even Suki. I would be ok with Zuko not being around, I just think it would be awesome if the new Fire Lord has elder Fire Lady Mai to advise him.
Ty Lee I just want to be awesome and beautiful forever, and to be Pema's mom. I hope she left the Kyoshi warriors and found her own thing.
Toph is just badass and should live to at least 112 like Bumi, imagine what she would be capable of.

The Gaang had a lot of friends, so most of them could be gone, doesn't mean it has to be most of the main characters.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
FluffyAppa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Unf

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:00 am »

Poor Sokka Cry

Aunt Wu: Who's next?
Sokka (standing): Okay, let's get this over with.
Aunt Wu (looking unhappily at Sokka): Your future is full of struggle and anguish, most of it self-inflicted.

http://kamisangel.deviantart.com
http://ask-avatarkorra.tumblr.com/
Follow my Ask Korra tumblr! Ask Korra questions!
RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Smellerbee's twin and first ever Borra shipper~

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:01 am »

I think all that Seal Jerky caught up with him.

Andrea Romano LIEEEEEED TO US and I still can't get over it. :I

Gurl, you are SO lucky your casting is fantastic... >.>

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."
ME GUSTA KORRA NATION: http://sot.ag/MzkzMjE1/
DuskQ
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Piandao.org

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:06 am »

If Katara could be friends with Mai, she could be friends with Ty Lee.  I really hope Sokka died happy and old.

I really hope that Toph, Ty Lee, and Mai are still alive possibly even Suki. I would be ok with Zuko not being around, I just think it would be awesome if the new Fire Lord has elder Fire Lady Mai to advise him.
Ty Lee I just want to be awesome and beautiful forever, and to be Pema's mom. I hope she left the Kyoshi warriors and found her own thing.
Toph is just badass and should live to at least 112 like Bumi, imagine what she would be capable of.

The Gaang had a lot of friends, so most of them could be gone, doesn't mean it has to be most of the main characters.
That's the denial talking. Katara isn't going to refer to random people they met in rinky-dink villages when she let's Korra know that her generation is retired. She must mean that at least some of the main crew is dead. Definitely White Lotus members we know and love, very likely Suki, and Ty Lee.

I agree. I suspect post-war Ty Lee and Mai did become Katara's friends. Additionally, Toph for certain must reach an old age of awesomeness.

In a way I think it gives a lot of finality. Also, Korra has a special connection to Katara when Katara is one of the only people left who has a connection to Korra's last life. If Tenzin is to become her sifu, it also puts a lot of pressure on his and Korra's relationship to be a mentor in regards to Aang's life. Therefore, I might prefer it if most of the main friends are gone.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012 12:17 am by DuskQ » Logged

RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:12 am »

I'm not confident at all we'll have anyone other than Katara, but our best bet in that regard is probably Toph. Not so sure about Zuko.

Wow. Halfway through typing that sentence, it hit me that Sokka was dead. Katara says her brother died. He's dead. I'm feeling teary...

Okay, I'm pathetic.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."
FluffyAppa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Unf

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:15 am »

I'm not confident at all we'll have anyone other than Katara, but our best bet in that regard is probably Toph. Not so sure about Zuko.

Wow. Halfway through typing that sentence, it hit me that Sokka was dead. Katara says her brother died. He's dead. I'm feeling teary...

Okay, I'm pathetic.

Your not pathetic at all. I felt my heart hurting realizing Aang was....gone[/].

http://kamisangel.deviantart.com
http://ask-avatarkorra.tumblr.com/
Follow my Ask Korra tumblr! Ask Korra questions!
Cat-Gator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

First Shipper of Aang's Beard

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:18 am »

^^ i shed manly tears you are not pathetic

Sokka and Aang brothers in-law
I Keep Cat-Gators, Ozai's,"They did not deserve to exist in this world in my world!" Equalist Propoganda and Yakone's ability to Bloodbend
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:19 am »

I would consider Haru, Teo, The Freedom Fighters, and even the nameless Kyoshi Warriors to be their friends.

I would be happy with just Ty Lee and Toph, and maybe Mai. They don't even need to have a conversation with Korra. Katara's connection with Korra will always be different because of the nature of her and Aang's relationship.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
RomioneRawr
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:20 am »

I'm imagining elderly couples...

STOP THIS IS TOO CUTE I CAN'T HANDLE IT NOOOOOOOOOO- *dies*

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:24 am »

If we don't get many flashbacks, which we very likely won't get, we'll never see older!Sokka.... Not when he was twenty-something, not as an adult leader of his tribe or father to one or more little kids, not when he was middle-aged, not when he was white-haired and wrinkly...

Now I'm getting very very sad Cry Cry Cry

PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2012 03:15 am »

I want to see elderly Zuko very badly now lol. XD Yeah, but as sad as I am, I'm 99.4% convinced that he's so out of here. I'd even go as far to say he went first.
A.)-Zuko's life was a living hell from age 10. -50 hp
B.) All the stress of being Fire Lord too? I bet his hair went grey at age 30. -25 hp
C.) I bet he's had like a billion assassination attempts, we know he's had a few within a year... -(?) hp
D.) Watching family members die. I'm sure that seeing his uncle go(if Zuko died before Iroh....that would just be....depressing and I'd feel even worse for Iroh, he doesn't deserve to go through that. I severely doubt this was the case though.), and possibly his mother, if he ever found her, and possibly Azula if she went first, and maybe Mai, took a mega-huge toll on him.  -40 hp

Yeah, Zuko, I'm sorry buddy, but I can't see you living very long. Cry -goes and sobs-

Awww, what if Sokka had a comedic death Cry AND WE HAVE TO WATCH IT IN A FLASHBACK. D': Omg, what if he dies holding his boomerang, I'm going to need a kleenex....while I laugh at the same time. Curse you imaginary, ambivalent-feeling, Sokka death.

I could kind of sort of seeing Toph being alive, but then again I can see her dead too. She could go either way really. Same goes for Mai, Ty Lee and Suki.

I feel like Azula is alive and I don't know why, I just do. Tongue

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2012 03:24 am »

Poor Sokka Cry

Aunt Wu: Who's next?
Sokka (standing): Okay, let's get this over with.
Aunt Wu (looking unhappily at Sokka): Your future is full of struggle and anguish, most of it self-inflicted.

Are you suggesting he death was self-inflicted? I approve.

Maybe he was building a contraption and it wouldn't work right. Then Sokka's like, "Stupid contraption!" He kicks it and it topples over him.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2012 04:06 am »

Sokka got a new Boomerang after he lost his old one.

He died 65 years later when his old Boomerang came back.

Do the thing.
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2012 04:07 am »

^haha omg that's not funny, but it is.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2012 04:17 am »

Sokka got a new Boomerang after he lost his old one.

He died 65 years later when his old Boomerang came back.

You are eeeeevil. I laughed and now I feel bad for laughing Tongue

Oblivion
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I believe in Obby Dent.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2012 04:22 am »

For a show where people over the age of 100 are common occurences, it's kinda jarring to see that almost none of the Gaang has survived. Kinda sad, really. It almost like Mike and Bryan really don't want the old show to take over the new one, eh?

I ship EndlessOblivion and MelodicOblivion. Do you? <3
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2012 08:22 am »

For a show where people over the age of 100 are common occurences, it's kinda jarring to see that almost none of the Gaang has survived. Kinda sad, really. It almost like Mike and Bryan really don't want the old show to take over the new one, eh?

We don't have too many examples when it comes down to it.  Kyoshi, Bumi, the Guru, Sozin, and Azulon.  That's not enough data to accurately refer to a whole world's lifespan.  Plus, other than Pathik, they're all benders.

I always pictured Sokka falling of a cliff while hunting when a cute little creature move out of the way at the last second.

TallBoy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

My Heart Burns For You

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2012 08:41 am »

sadly, I think this is most likely the case.
Sokka may have been playing around with electricity too much...
Or trying to invent a better war balloon...
Or even trying to paint a landscape Tongue

3DS FC: 2836-0221-8587
PM me if you add me
Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2012 11:40 am »

I could see Katara and Ty Lee perhaps becoming friends. I doubt they really had that much against each other.
If we don't get many flashbacks, which we very likely won't get, we'll never see older!Sokka.... Not when he was twenty-something, not as an adult leader of his tribe or father to one or more little kids, not when he was middle-aged, not when he was white-haired and wrinkly...

Now I'm getting very very sad Cry Cry Cry

Why is it not likely we'll get flashbacks, each season in TLA we got one. There are likely events that happened before Korra arrives in Republic City that will need to be alluded on, and maybe Aang's gang being indirectly responsible for them like Roku was for the Hundred Year War.

I want to see elderly Zuko very badly now lol. XD Yeah, but as sad as I am, I'm 99.4% convinced that he's so out of here. I'd even go as far to say he went first.
A.)-Zuko's life was a living hell from age 10. -50 hp
B.) All the stress of being Fire Lord too? I bet his hair went grey at age 30. -25 hp
C.) I bet he's had like a billion assassination attempts, we know he's had a few within a year... -(?) hp
D.) Watching family members die. I'm sure that seeing his uncle go(if Zuko died before Iroh....that would just be....depressing and I'd feel even worse for Iroh, he doesn't deserve to go through that. I severely doubt this was the case though.), and possibly his mother, if he ever found her, and possibly Azula if she went first, and maybe Mai, took a mega-huge toll on him.  -40 hp

Yeah, Zuko, I'm sorry buddy, but I can't see you living very long. Cry -goes and sobs-

Awww, what if Sokka had a comedic death Cry AND WE HAVE TO WATCH IT IN A FLASHBACK. D': Omg, what if he dies holding his boomerang, I'm going to need a kleenex....while I laugh at the same time. Curse you imaginary, ambivalent-feeling, Sokka death.

I could kind of sort of seeing Toph being alive, but then again I can see her dead too. She could go either way really. Same goes for Mai, Ty Lee and Suki.

I feel like Azula is alive and I don't know why, I just do. Tongue

I'm with you on Azula, but I think Zuko died not long after Aang did, and both of their deaths had something Azula striking them down at the end of the later seasons and made sure both had heart problems throughout their lives. Plus I think Zuko doesn't need to be there. The previous series were his and Aang's. They don't need to be particularly prominant in this series to make the series stand out on its own. Bringing back other supporting characters is one thing, but the main protagonist and deuteragonist having major roles would be a bad mistake.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2012 11:47 am »

Why is it not likely we'll get flashbacks, each season in TLA we got one. There are likely events that happened before Korra arrives in Republic City that will need to be alluded on, and maybe Aang's gang being indirectly responsible for them like Roku was for the Hundred Year War.

Flashbacks may make it look like they're using the old characters as a crutch.  Roku was unknown without the flashback, but we know the old characters all too well.  Plus I can't quite see Aang being responsible for Amon, at least not like Roku was for Sozin.  It looks like the revolution hasn't actually started yet, or at the very least isn't too far along, and I don't seem them waiting sixteen years after Aang's death if he was somehow responsible.

iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2012 12:44 pm »

Okay, I'm pathetic.

When i first heard Sokka was dead, i was like "Aww, man, that sucks!". But then i actually saw the clip, and i was all like "WHY'D YOU HAVE TO DIE?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE IMMORTAAAAALLLL!!" It is sad when you think of it...

And I don't see why everyone thinks it's so possible for Zuko to be alive, like pokemonlotty said, he had a lot of stress on him at an early age; just because you're stressed doesn't mean you'll kneel over and die, but being stressed does cause a lot of health problems, and sure makes you look old... just saying...
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012 01:19 pm by iwashere » Logged

Sigs are for the weak
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: