Aug 16, 2017 11:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master List to Avatar: The Last Airbender in Print  (Read 7736 times)
Nefferbeth
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Jan 08, 2012 11:21 am »

Welcome to the Avatar Master Book List!

Here is the place to find the exact thread you need for more information on any of the books published on Avatar. You can also use this as a guide to the books available, what to add to your shopping list next or perhaps as a place to ask questions about what books are worth buying.

REMEMBER! Please respect the rules of this board and discuss the actual books, their contents, and your opinions of them (without bashing).
Questions and comments on where and how to buy them should be posted in The Marketplace.
Discussions and speculation on unreleased printed books should be posted under the current threads for them, linked below.

-ASN Team

I recently purchased Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Lost Adventures and it made me wonder what else was available in print to expand the Avatar Universe. I found many lists of books, graphic novels, and comics, but no real guide to help determine which I should purchase. My goal is to collect all Avatar related printed items that expand upon what was offered in the animation. I am not as interested in re-telling unless new insight is being offered along with what the animation has already given. Also, I prefer to buy collections whenever possible. I think this guide could be really useful to those who are just starting to look beyond the animation.

Here is what I gathered through my own research. Please help add to it and offer your own suggestions.

-Nefferbeth

Based on the Animation
==================

Comics:
DH Comics : The Lost Adventures
- This has new content and tells stories that happened along side of the animated series. I would recommend it to fans of the show. It is my understanding that the Lost Adventures includes all the comics from Nick Mag, those issued with the DVD's, and from free comic book day as well as 2 bonus non-cannon comics. If anyone knows of additional comics not included in this book or the ones in the list below, please let me know.

The Promise
- I have this on pre-order. It looks like it picks up where the show left off with all new content.

The Lost Scrolls, Earth Kingdom Chronicles, and other older books
Lost Scrolls
- This is a collection of 4 comics that can also be purchased individually (Water, Earth, Fire, & Air). From the descriptions I found, it looks like they are first season stories told through the character's perspective with added information on each nation's martial art style and culture.

Earth Kingdom Chronicles
- Journeys Through the Earth Kingdom - This is a collection of 4 of the 6 Earth Kingdom Chronicles (Aang, Azula, Toph, & Sokka). If you want them all you will need to purchase Zuko & Katara separately. These look pretty promising as they are written in diary format, which means they should have insight into what the characters were thinking during the second season.

Sozin's Comet: The Final Battle
- This appears to be a retelling of the final four episodes from the character's perspective and I read something about a free poster.

Tokyopop Cine-Manga (Volume 1-8)
- This is a retelling of stories from book 1 with screencaps and dialogue straight from the show. I do not believe it contains any new content.

The Boy in the Iceberg (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
ISBN-13: 978-1598169140
- Box Set of TokyoPop (Vol. 1-3)

Ready-To-Read Series:
Aang's School Days
- Good for young children to read, but no new content.
Sokka the Sword Master
- Good for young children to read, but no new content.
Love Potion #8
- Written for young readers but with original content and shipping.

Art and Activity Books:

Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Art of the Animated Series)
- This is already on my shopping list. It looks like it has a ton of great artwork and a lot of information on character development and the shows creative process.

Avatar the Last Airbender: Air Power! (With Tattoos)
ISBN-13: 9780375841422
- A coloring book and activity book with tattoos

Aang's Challenges (Avatar) (Spiral Activity Book)
ISBN-13: 978-0375845796
- Travel Size Activity Pad for kids age 4-8

The New Master (Avatar) (Deluxe Coloring Book)
ISBN-13: 978-0375841439
- Coloring and activity book with puzzles and games for ages 5 and up

Nickelodeon Avatar: The Last Airbender Drawing Book and Kit
- ISBN-13: 978-1600580604
- Different than the How to Draw Book, it includes basic markers, stickers, erasers, colored pencils and a guide book, which is more abridged than the How to Draw book.

Other Resources:

The Ultimate Pocket Guide
- Based on Book 1 & 2, it is said to contain information about the characters, locations, and culture of the world of Avatar, including the history of all four nations. It also has a "Which character are you?" quiz, a chart on character shipping, and a "Who said it?" challenge. It sound informative and has received fairly good reviews. Opinions?

Brainbenders from the Four Nations
- Based on Book 1 & 2, it is said to contain episode quizzes, character profiles, quotes, and trivia. I am unsure of how much new content this contains.

Mindbenders and Brainbusters: The Ultimate Avatar Challenge
- Based on Book 3, it is said to contain questions, fill in the blanks, word scrambles, and mystery quotations. The description leads me to believe there is little if any new content, but it may be fun for those looking to test their knowledge.
Battle of the Benders (In 3-D)
- This includes a 3-D poster and 2x 3-D glasses, it may be out of print and prices vary wildly ($6.95-$182.27). It seems a little gimmicky, but younger fans may enjoy it.
How To Draw: Avatar the Last Airbender
- A guide to drawing with helpful tips and fun facts about each character.

Movie Tie-Ins
==========

These are based on or retellings of the movie and I do not think there is any new content that would be considered cannon. It was also incredibly hard to find almost any information or reviews for most of these. Any opinions on these?

Cine-Manga
The Last Airbender: Prequel: Zuko's Story
- This tells of Zuko's lost years and it seems like reviewers either love it or hate it. I could really use some opinions on this one from fans of the animation. Good? Bad? Insightful?
The Last Airbender by Dave Roman
- I added the author for this one since the title is so generic. Unlike the Zuko manga, most reviews of this are negative, sighting a different style of artwork that was not in tune with what fans have come to expect from the show and a rushed retelling of book 1.

Novelizations:
The Last Airbender Movie Novelization
- Pretty self explanatory.
Aang's Destiny
- A young reader book.
Battle of the North
- Said to contain information on Water & Fire Nations’ major fighters/armies, vehicles, weaponry, bending skills, and battle strategies with some retellings. I would really like to know what others thought of this one. There are almost no reviews for it.
Trial by Fire
- I cannot find anything out about this other than it is about Zuko.
The Avatar's Return
- A young reader book.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012 09:48 am by Nefferbeth » Logged
Cerulean
Global Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2012 03:26 pm »

Made this a list for one-stop browsing on all things Avatar books. I still recommend that any and all check out our World of Avatar page as well as the Avatar Books page on the mainsite.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am by NeeNee » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: