Nov 21, 2019 12:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Promise- Part 2 Speculation (Spoilers)  (Read 96055 times)
johnf12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #625 on: May 16, 2012 12:31 am »

This is what annoys me about reviews reviewing a piece of material from a popular IP. No matter how bad said material may be, it always get mindless praise. Can't someone just be honest and say Gene Yang's work sucks?
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #626 on: May 16, 2012 12:51 am »

Can't someone just be honest and say Gene Yang's work sucks?

You know, it may just be possible that different people have different opinions, and that not everyone agrees with your assessment. There's plenty of people around this board who do agree with you, why don't you read their posts instead?

And people do write negative reviews when something warrants it. A little movie called "The Last Airbender" is proof of that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012 01:07 am by SMBH » Logged

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #627 on: May 16, 2012 12:00 pm »

What I don't understand is people who say they enjoyed The Promise, are now saying it sucks and is a mess, just because of the descriptions of the next two. I know they don't sound too promising (No pun intended... Seriously.) but can't they wait until it comes out before saying something you just said was good, sucks. (And i'm not talking about anyone in here, exactly.)

People can say whatever they want of course, but to change your opinion on something so fast just because of a description is just a little dramatic.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012 12:02 pm by iwashere » Logged

Sigs are for the weak
neverXbroken
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #628 on: May 16, 2012 01:16 pm »

I think most of it is just a gut reaction to the way the summary was worded. I liked The Promise and even after the part 2 summary, I look forward to more.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #629 on: May 16, 2012 09:49 pm »

Hey, I'm being consistent. I thought this whole deal was fishy since we got the description for the first volume. Grin

This is what annoys me about reviews reviewing a piece of material from a popular IP. No matter how bad said material may be, it always get mindless praise. Can't someone just be honest and say Gene Yang's work sucks?

I hate to break it to you, but licensed material from a cash-cow IP is more likely to be negatively reviewed. If the reviewers are kissing up to anyone, it's Dark Horse, which also gives them free books from unpopular IPs. (In fact, Dark Horse would prefer good reviews for the unpopular IPs, because they probably get a larger chunk of the profits off of those.)

These reviewers actually like The Promise, which has helpfully enabled me to confirm them as people whose opinions I don't value when it comes to reading recommendations.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #630 on: May 16, 2012 10:21 pm »

now saying it sucks and is a mess, just because of the descriptions of the next two

Fandom tends to freak out over the littlest of things. Some freakouts are of the "yay woo foam and flail" kind, and others are of the "boo hiss you suck" kind.

Personally, I liked The Promise. It was entertaining and just about the same as all the other Avatar comics that have been published, so I don't see any reason to assume the world is going to end just because the descriptions for part 2 and 3 may or may not be iffy. But different people have different opinions, and if some people don't like it then meh, no skin off my nose.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #631 on: May 17, 2012 06:22 pm »

just about the same as all the other Avatar comics that have been published

Yeah, this was my problem with it. It was purely kid stuff.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #632 on: May 30, 2012 10:54 am »

Locked now that Part 2 has been officially released in comic book stores.

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: