Nov 20, 2019 09:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Promise- Part 2 Speculation (Spoilers)  (Read 96027 times)
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Dec 28, 2011 09:52 pm »

So we have news and the cover of the next installment of The Promise. It comes out May of 2012.

http://bookstores.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=18-619

Aang and Katara are working tirelessly for peace when an impasse between Fire Lord Zuko and Earth King Kuei over Fire Nation colonies within the borders of the Earth Nation threatens to plunge the world back into war! Meanwhile, Sokka must help Toph prepare her hapless first class of metalbending students to defend their school against a rival class of firebenders!

Please, spoilers from Part 1 only.
this thread is as spoilery as it can be now including spoilers from part one and two.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 10:42 pm by Ms.WW » Logged

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011 09:55 pm »

Please note in the thread title if there will be spoilers here for Part 1, since it hasn't been officially released yet and a spoiler warning would allow people who want to remain spoiler-free for Part 1 to avoid this thread.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011 10:42 pm »

I'll change it when volume 1 comes out.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011 10:12 am »

I think we will get to the bottom of why ~snip~ Sorry but that seems like a spoiler for Part 1. ~SMBH
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2011 12:17 pm by SMBH » Logged
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011 12:36 pm »

How are we supposed to speculate about Part 2 when we can't say anything about Part 1?

Everything is a spoiler at this point. We barely have any information apart from the leaks.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2011 12:39 pm by NeeNee » Logged

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011 12:58 pm »

NeeNee's right. It's pretty much impossible to speculate for part 2 without knowing what happens in part 1, and since that hasn't been officially released yet then all information related to it is considered a spoiler.

Ms.DoubleW, if you want speculation on part 2, you'll have to change the no-spoilers thing, or else all the speculation will have to wait until the end of January when the book is officially released.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
colle
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011 01:03 pm »

Sorry about that I thought I was being careful since I think the title of the thread just said speculation when I first posted , and thank you. There are times it is hard to tell what is a spoiler and what is speculation and when. Even though part one has not been release yet, some already know a good deal about what happens because they read the spoilers and pages on the net, and sometimes it is easy to forgot that not everyone does because they don't want to. One has to be careful.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2011 01:27 pm by colle » Logged
Dorky
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Just get down to biz my ninja!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011 03:35 pm »

I speculate ~snip~ This could also be considered a spoiler for people who don't know that those characters appear in the book... ~SMBH
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2011 03:38 pm by SMBH » Logged

-Triplets with Smellerbee & RomoineRawr-

icon credit
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011 05:59 pm »

There should be a separate thread for speculating with spoilers, just a suggestion.. :p

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011 09:35 pm »

How are we supposed to speculate about Part 2 when we can't say anything about Part 1?

Everything is a spoiler at this point. We barely have any information apart from the leaks.

True. This thought occured to me as I was falling asleep. Thanks for pointing it out.

Changed it.

somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011 05:12 pm »

Maybe we could see the results of Ozai'S Advice to Zuko (it says "Spoilers from part 1 so i'm spoiling part 1)

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm »

^That's what I'm most looking forward to, but they kinda set it up that way didn't they?

Firelord Azula
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011 06:58 am »

This is kind of off the wall but what if it's Azula's firebending academy?!
somethingmysterious
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Christmas present from tokotothe end. Thanks ;)

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2011 11:29 pm »

^can't be. Azula's under lock and key. Even if something did happen, the world would know and no parent would want to have Azula teach firebending to their kids.

Wait, I think the students might be Mako and Bolin's parents. What do ya think?

Keepin: EIP Iroh's "Prince Zuko, you must try this cake", Aang's death in 220, Azula's widow's peak and Zuko's widow's peak

To do: Change avvi and sig...
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012 12:44 am »

I think two things will happen in this volume (or I hope will happen).  1) Azula's story will appear and we see she's in a depressed state talking about her mother, how her mom must hate her for being "a monster". 2) We hear a clue about where Ursa is, and maybe Zuko finds her. (Might not be 'til the third volume that this happens.)

I want these two things to happen because I suspect that at some point, maybe in the third volume, Zuko brings Ursa to Azula and Azula confesses everything to Ursa and apologizes and there's a big emotional scene where they hug (much like Zuko and Iroh's scene in the finale). Then mother and daughter are closer than they were, and Azula either is well enough to leave the asylum or she's very close to leaving.

It could be that this isn't in The Promise at all.  It could be that Zuko doesn't get anything from Ozai about Ursa until the very end of The Promise, leading into another Atla comic series that focuses on this story in more detail.

It's just, I'd like to see both their stories come to a close, and it's clear from Atla that Azula has momma issues and I don't think she'll get better without working things out with Ursa.

Heh.  It's a little suiting, isn't it?  The son has daddy issues and the daughter has momma issues.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2012 12:50 am by Ms.DoubleW » Logged

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012 04:00 pm »

I think two things will happen in this volume (or I hope will happen).  1) Azula's story will appear and we see she's in a depressed state talking about her mother, how her mom must hate her for being "a monster". 2) We hear a clue about where Ursa is, and maybe Zuko finds her. (Might not be 'til the third volume that this happens.)

I want these two things to happen because I suspect that at some point, maybe in the third volume, Zuko brings Ursa to Azula and Azula confesses everything to Ursa and apologizes and there's a big emotional scene where they hug (much like Zuko and Iroh's scene in the finale). Then mother and daughter are closer than they were, and Azula either is well enough to leave the asylum or she's very close to leaving.

It could be that this isn't in The Promise at all.  It could be that Zuko doesn't get anything from Ozai about Ursa until the very end of The Promise, leading into another Atla comic series that focuses on this story in more detail.

This is more likely, I believe. The Promise Trilogy basically has one job to do: establishing how the United Republic of Nations is created without having to waste valuable LoK screentime on the Gaang's post-war adventures. The Azula and Ursa issues would be waaaaay too big to address in the same space. Will there be a sequel hook? Almost certainly. It'd help drum up fan support for a second series of comics.

Knowing what we do of Part 1, my guesses about will happen are as follows:

A-Plot: After all the valid reasoning given in Part 1 not to uproot the oldest colonies, we'll probably be calling Part 2 "The Earth Kingdom Strikes Back". I'm seeing Kuei take Aang (and possibly Zuko if he's compliant) on a tour of the Lower Ring, showing off the masses of war refugees who are scraping by with the hope that the Harmony Restoration Movement can help them resettle in lands that they or their parents lost during the war. Maybe we'll get a flashback to whatever Kuei was up to in Season 3 as he came to learn more about his own country. The end result will be that Kuei refuses to allow the Fire Nation to keep its colonies and Zuko will refuse to evacuate them. A war will loom and Aang will be seemingly forced to choose a side.

Also, I think this is when Iroh will come into play. I also think he'll side against Zuko and advocate the dissolution of the colonies.

B-Plot: The "rival dojos" plot will give us some whacky time-wasting nonsense with Toph and Sokka, but it'll also give the other perspective on Yu Dao Colony: what life is like for the non-citizen Earth Kingdomers. I speculated about this in the other thread, but the rival dojos plot makes me think that we'll find out the motivation for Toph's students wanting to learn metalbending is because they want to -- or their parents want them to -- have a leg up in a society that considers them second class. I'm betting we'll also discover that the two dojos will share at least one set of siblings, Mako+Bolin style. Overall, it'll get Sokka and possible Toph onboard the notion that while Yu Dao can't be evacuated, it can't go on as is.

C-Plot: The Freedom Fighters... not really sure. I don't think they'll start attacking anyone until the end of Part 2, but I could see them being involved somehow in the rival dojos B-Plot.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012 07:42 pm by Lavanya Six » Logged
Zuko-Fan-Girl
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

bi-demi-sexual demigirl

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2012 12:57 am »

F... Five months!? Looks like we'll have to wait that long, our minds slowly eroding from all the Zukaangst, all the speculation, all the shipping, all the OOGIES. Don't worry... I'll keep you safe... Keh keh keh-

*SLAP*

Oh. Excuse me. *ahem*

Well, I'm still going with my "Zuko is poisoned/has some sort of illness" theory. I mean, look at his face. The sunken in cheeks, begs under the eyes, and is it me, or has he gotten much, MUCH skinnier? He could be being poisoned by some Ozai loyalists, that could be a way. Or could a person's immune system be weakened by stress? If so, all the stress of being the Fire Lord, having so much responsibility on his shoulders, and "Oh Agni why are they all mad at me", and all the attempts on his life would put so much stress on him, that maybe his body can't handle any virus that comes along. And it seems, with the scenes we've seen him in a bed, he's having nightmares. Being sick can give you quite the weird, freaky dreams. And he's sweating. Fever, maybe? I guess we'll have to wait.

[hissing]
Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2012 01:09 am »

Stress can be a cause of many medical issues. Watch Zuko have a heart attack halfway through Part 2.

Do the thing.
Discreet
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Delightfully Devious

« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2012 02:37 am »

I'm actually looking forward to TP 2. The first installment reads like one really long introduction paragraph. Tons of exposition and time spent just setting up the scenario. Part 2 seems like it'll actually be able to get to the heart of the matter and actually work with the conflict.

I really want the Freedom Fighters to be stirring stuff up. King Kuei and Zuko will probably be at a standoff in negotiations. The X factor is going to be what the Yu Dao citizenry and the Freedom Fighters do in the meantime.
Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2012 03:59 am »

I think two things will happen in this volume (or I hope will happen).  1) Azula's story will appear and we see she's in a depressed state talking about her mother, how her mom must hate her for being "a monster". 2) We hear a clue about where Ursa is, and maybe Zuko finds her. (Might not be 'til the third volume that this happens.)

It could be that this isn't in The Promise at all.  It could be that Zuko doesn't get anything from Ozai about Ursa until the very end of The Promise, leading into another Atla comic series that focuses on this story in more detail.

It's just, I'd like to see both their stories come to a close, and it's clear from Atla that Azula has momma issues and I don't think she'll get better without working things out with Ursa.

Heh.  It's a little suiting, isn't it?  The son has daddy issues and the daughter has momma issues.

That's totally against her character though. It drives Azula crazy that she knows that her mother subconsciously loves and likes Zuko more. Azula will look back on her past and think her mother would think she's a monster from some of the monstrous things she's done. Azula could never really have a close relationship with her mother.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2012 04:10 am »

^Their relationship won't be the closest mother/daughter relationship, but it think it's possible. Azula thinks she knows Ursa loves Zuko more, but she couldn't be more wrong.  A mother could never love one of her children over another.  It's unconditional. Ursa will forgive Azula's wrong-doings. Azula needs to realize all this, but she can't do that without talking things through with Ursa.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012 04:21 am by Ms.DoubleW » Logged

Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2012 05:38 am »

^Their relationship won't be the closest mother/daughter relationship, but it think it's possible. Azula thinks she knows Ursa loves Zuko more, but she couldn't be more wrong.  A mother could never love one of her children over another.  It's unconditional. Ursa will forgive Azula's wrong-doings. Azula needs to realize all this, but she can't do that without talking things through with Ursa.

Still, even if she does love her children the same, she certainly likes Zuko more than she likes Azula, and this is still enough to drive Azula completely crazy. Even if she likes them equally the same (which she doesn't), it doesn't matter what Ursa thinks. Its what Azula thinks Ursa thinks. Azula would likely focus on her previous monstrous acts more than her mother would, and thus the two could never have a close relationship.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2012 05:54 am »

Still, even if she does love her children the same, she certainly likes Zuko more than she likes Azula, and this is still enough to drive Azula completely crazy.

This doesn't make sense. "Love" and "like" are the same thing.  "Like" is just a smaller form of "love."

Even if she likes them equally the same (which she doesn't), it doesn't matter what Ursa thinks. Its what Azula thinks Ursa thinks.

Which is why they need to talk. So that Ursa can clarify things, and hopefully change Azula's perspective.

Azula would likely focus on her previous monstrous acts more than her mother would, and thus the two could never have a close relationship.

Azula might dwell on the past and distance herself from Ursa, but she might grow up some and realize that that was in the past and that her mom forgives her.  It's impossible to tell what would happen unless M&B wrote somthing like this. Until then, it could go either way.

Landshark
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2012 06:26 am »

This doesn't make sense. "Love" and "like" are the same thing.  "Like" is just a smaller form of "love."

No they're not the same thing. You can love your child, but you may not enjoy being around them because they have turned into despicable people. You may not like the person they became. Zuko became the person his mother knew he was always capable of being. Azula clearly didn't and knows she's pretty much a lost cause (as does Iroh), even if Ursa tries to steer her in the right direction.

Which is why they need to talk. So that Ursa can clarify things, and hopefully change Azula's perspective.

She's not changing Azula's perspective. Azula has huge trust issues and has really never trusted anyone, especially her mother. The only people she slightly trusted (her father, Mai, and Ty Lee) all betrayed her at the end. Azula will probably never be able to trust anyone ever again. Even if Ursa told her everything Azula wants to hear and be true, she won't accept it due to her father's betrayal and merely telling her things she wanted to hear to keep her in line. She'd merely think her mother is doing the same to her.

Azula might dwell on the past and distance herself from Ursa, but she might grow up some and realize that that was in the past and that her mom forgives her.  It's impossible to tell what would happen unless M&B wrote somthing like this. Until then, it could go either way.

I highly doubt she'll grow beyond it. She'll never be able to forgive herself for her actions and will likely be questioning them for the rest of her life. Keep in mind in the finale when Azula begins to cry. Was it when she was defeated? No. It was when Katara rushed over and healed Zuko as a sign of friendship and gratitude. It is her true realization that no one will ever truly feel that way about her. Azula is pretty much beyond redemption and why she actually becomes the most tragic character of the series. Azula and her mother forming a strong relationship would completely undermine this.
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2012 07:32 pm »

Gene Yang has said in a letter to a fan that Toph and Sokka are the main characters of volume 2 of the comic.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Toph%27s_Fanboy/%22Tokka%22_Correspondence_With_Gene_Yang

Sig made by Dorky.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: