Aug 23, 2017 01:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you name your child after an Avatar character?  (Read 15671 times)
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #175 on: Apr 16, 2012 03:18 am »

Well, I know a girl named Toph. Although I doubt she's named after Toph from Avatar considering she was born long before the show existed. I think some names, you could get away with. Like Katara for example, because it's a pretty name. But naming your son Aang is a no go.

My cousin does have several pets named after Avatar characters though. He has a mouse named Zuko, a cat called Iroh, and he did have a bunny named Appa, but it unfortunately passed away. I also wanted to name our dog Azula, but my mother wouldn't. She named it Queenie instead, which is a terrible name.

OMG! Iroh ate Zuko! LOL

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #176 on: Apr 16, 2012 04:14 pm »

he also ate appa.

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #177 on: Apr 16, 2012 04:42 pm »

that explains a lot

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Panda
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #178 on: Apr 26, 2012 05:46 pm »

If I ever happened to have a kid (Which is extremely unlikely) I would definitely name it Azula if it was a girl or Zhao if it was a boy. I just love those names, especially Zhao.

StopCryinAnDanceWithMe
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #179 on: Apr 28, 2012 04:07 pm »

Maybe not something from another culture I know close to nothing about, i.e Sokka, Iroh or Gyasto. But I've heard Suki, Zuko (guy from Grease), and Mai used as western names...so possiby.

I named my cat Ozai, haha. I read somewhere, and excuse me if this is wrong, that Ozai means haughty and loud, and my cat is very much both of these things.
Aton
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #180 on: Apr 28, 2012 05:08 pm »

In our "city-newspaper" there is always a list of all new born babies and their names.

Half a year ago there was a child named Suki in it. It really made me smile.
Amonymous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The era of bending is over

« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2012 08:17 am »

I dunno. Asami is a really nice name...I guess I would if I like what the name meant.
I have a friend named Asami! She's Japanese! and she edited her face over TLOK's Asami and said she got together with Mako =))

I died laughing xD

Wink
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2012 08:53 am »

^ Your friend is officially the most awesome person.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
Amonymous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The era of bending is over

« Reply #183 on: May 01, 2012 09:27 am »

^IKR. She loves the fact that there's a TLOK character with the same name xD

Wink
September
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

aang is best pony

« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2012 11:09 am »

-"Hey mom, where did I get my name from?"
-"A cartoon."
-"..."

Yeah I don't think so.

Signature by me.
Faye
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

" how about the King of the.. guys who don't win?"

« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2012 07:36 pm »

It's weird I'll admit. The name has to be really cool/beautiful for me use it.

I'd want to name my tortoise Toph...and tape her picture on its back sometimes.

Names like Suki and Asami are more common in the real world so maybe those.

"Sweeeeet" -Toph Beifong
Mercedes427
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2012 08:32 pm »

kids..no i dont think so. But maybe Azula or Korra for my next 2 pets Cheesy! i actually kinda like the name Zutara too, even though its not the name of an actual character, i still think its a super cool name!

this may sound crazy but i was actually thinking of naming my next horse(if a mare) Zutara, its feminine yet strong, bold and very unusual Smiley

Double post merged. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012 08:43 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged
Soko Toko Jinko
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ease on down the Road

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2012 09:22 pm »

I would name a child Korra, but only because my grandmother's name was Cora. 

The journey is more fulfilling than the destination.
cevichemmm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2012 07:59 pm »

I love Aang's name, I wouldn't be surprised if I ever name one of my children after him. I usually wouldn't consider naming a child after a character from a series, but I have a personal attachment to Aang's name for various reasons so I guess I can see it coming. Besides, I like his name! It's exotic and different, at least from my point of view.
Zubby
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Thanks Maivry!

« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2012 04:18 pm »

I would, but naming my kid Cabbage Merchant would make them hate me forever.

My flash drive is named Momo, however.

Korrasami is canon-you gotta deal with it!
keeper of Appa, keeper of Aang's wanted poster
keeper of Sokka's sarcasm, keeper of Monk Gyatso's statue
Wordbender33
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2012 11:52 am »

For me it really depends on the name. I don't want to subject my kids to torment from their peers, but I also don't want to choose names that are super conventional. Since I'm multicultural, I'm used to people having a wide variety of names that usually aren't common in your typical American school and am considering Spanish names for my kids. I have to be honest and say that at one point I did consider naming a son Zuko...but then thankfully changed my mind when I thought of how on earth was I going to watch Avatar with my kid when his namesake is a character I have a huge fangirl crush on? That would be awkward to say the least...

Fictional characters' names can work though- my college Psych professor's children are named Elanor and Eowyn.

Keeper of Zuko's "So when life gets hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich!" speech and Mako's "The scarf stays" declaration. Lover of poetry and all things nerdy and worth obsessing over.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2012 03:58 pm »

I would, but naming my kid Cabbage Merchant would make them hate me forever.

Only if you find it fun to destroy carts.

BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2012 04:21 pm »

It depends on the name: or rather, it depends on the aesthetics of the name and the meaning of the name.

It also must translate well to real life.

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
Toph13139
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Four for you, Glen Coco! You go, Glen Coco!

« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2012 08:27 pm »

-"Hey mom, where did I get my name from?"
-"A cartoon."
-"..."

Yeah I don't think so.

"Hey, Mom, where did I get my name from?"
"A cartoon."
"... That's kinda lame."
"Your face is lame."
"What?"
"Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father."
"WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU TO DESERVE THIS?!"

And THAT is how you raise the future generation.

tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2012 08:12 am »

^ Can you be my mother forever?

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
jonms
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2012 06:43 pm »

I would name my son Zuko
or kuruk
IntoTheInferno
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2012 07:04 pm »

Not sure what I'd name by child but I have the same name as Amon lol (the way it sounds, not the spelling Tongue)
Janessy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #197 on: Jun 20, 2012 05:18 am »

I dont mind any of these names, maybe because Im Asian, and go to school that's mostly Asian. A big variety of Asians, too. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Viet, Cambodian, Indian, Malay, Filipino.. a lot of them weren't born in America, either. These names are somewhat normal to me

Its actually kind of weird, that people think the names in Avatar are weird. The main character's names are kind of "weird" to me..Aang, Zuko, Toph, Katara, Azula, etc.. but there are other names in the show that are decent

Names like Jin, Mai, June, Suki, Yue, Ty Lee, are pretty to me. But thats imo. I like the name Jet, too. Wasnt there a character name Hahn? I forgot who he was, though. I don't think I'd name my kids AFTER the characters, but because I like the name itself

I dont see why people think that giving a kid a "weird" name = bad childhood. I have a "weird name," and I was bullied as a kid. But I was not once teased about my name. Kids bullied me about my shyness. People never even took notice of my name. My name isnt a cultural thing either.. my parents mixed their names to make mine -_- kids bully each other regardless of names.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2012 05:35 am by Janessy » Logged
Nyokou
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The Perfect Atrocity

Nyokou@live.com Nyok0u Nyokou
« Reply #198 on: Jun 20, 2012 10:11 am »

I dont see why people think that giving a kid a "weird" name = bad childhood. I have a "weird name," and I was bullied as a kid. But I was not once teased about my name. Kids bullied me about my shyness. People never even took notice of my name. My name isnt a cultural thing either.. my parents mixed their names to make mine -_- kids bully each other regardless of names.

True... as long as you like the name for your kid you should go ahead and give it to them.

I wasn't necessarily bullied because of my name but growing up a lot of people had a hard time figuring out how to pronounce my name. My brother Donald though got teased because of his name but he's still grown up to be a very sweet and kind person. I don't think I know anyone else in my life who's that much of a good person. Smiley And he likes his name too.

Girls' Generation - "Paparazzi" Dance Edit GOLD | 효연

Keeper of Lin & Tenzin's Friendship | Lin Regaining Her Bending [112]
Noatak's Single Tear [112]
HardcoreHarlan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #199 on: Jun 20, 2012 10:24 am »

I had a little shitzu dog named Momo, but we named him before I first saw the show, he's in Momo heaven now lol

Flameo, Hotmen!
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: