Jun 25, 2017 05:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you name your child after an Avatar character?  (Read 14817 times)
Fugitiva
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2011 09:27 pm »

I would never do it... People could recognize the names and make fun of me and my kid. I really have no reason to put such names in my children.. If I were Asian, maybe I could think of Suki or Ty Lee... or Mai. But I'm nothing close to that.
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2011 10:25 pm »

I don't get why kids would be mocked for having such a name, it's just odd.  The names aren't awful and the type of names out there is becoming more varied.  There are a good deal of kids named Cullen, Avatar names aren't too bad.

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2011 10:43 pm »

I don't get why kids would be mocked for having such a name, it's just odd.  The names aren't awful and the type of names out there is becoming more varied.  There are a good deal of kids named Cullen, Avatar names aren't too bad.

I don't get why kids are mocked for playing hide-and-seek. I just... happens. Kids are (sometimes) cruel. And personally, my main problem is not the names themselves, but the idea of specifically naming a child for a fictional series. I love Avatar with all my heart, but that's not all that fair to my kids -- I'd essentially be forcing my fandom all over them. That's not cool. They deserve their own identity.

That said... I wouldn't mind naming my kid "Mai." I think that's an incredibly lovely name, especially if it's pronounced "My".

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2011 10:54 pm »

I don't get why kids are mocked for playing hide-and-seek. I just... happens. Kids are (sometimes) cruel. And personally, my main problem is not the names themselves, but the idea of specifically naming a child for a fictional series. I love Avatar with all my heart, but that's not all that fair to my kids -- I'd essentially be forcing my fandom all over them. That's not cool. They deserve their own identity.

That said... I wouldn't mind naming my kid "Mai." I think that's an incredibly lovely name, especially if it's pronounced "My".

"Mai"

Chinese
Meaning: Ocean or elegance

Japanese
Meaning: Dance

Vietnamese
Meaning: Cherry blossom; yellow flower

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
RissieChie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Party slime ;)

« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2011 10:57 pm »

Hmm....I probably wouldn't name my kids after any characters, but I would so name my pets after Avatar characters!

WARNING: May show serious signs of a fangirl.
Follow my Avatar Tumblr
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2011 10:58 pm »

People give the weirdest names nowadays, there's nothing exceptional about it anymore.

There aren't really any names in Avatar I love that much though. But like I mentioned in this thread, I wouldn't hesitate to use a name from a cartoon. Wink

djinn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Fish genetics is a very small field

« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2011 11:10 pm »

I've always disliked parents that give pretentious names to their children so no, I wouldn't name my kids after characters from Avatar.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2011 12:37 am »

I've always disliked parents that give pretentious names to their children so no, I wouldn't name my kids after characters from Avatar.

Same but the reasoning here seems to amount to 'This is a name I like from a TV show I like' Cheesy
Alec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2011 01:21 am »

Never. Not even Hope.

Pet names are an option.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2011 01:24 am »

I was named after the lead singer of a band. Is this really any sillier?

Yes it is. But maybe not a lot, depending on the band.
Alec
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2011 01:28 am »

Oh. Its not naming it after the series that stops me. Its the names that do.
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2011 01:34 am »

Ah.

Well then I'm trying to think of 'normal' names in the Avatar world (for lack of a better word :p).
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2011 01:38 am »

My sister in law is named hope

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
Britt_
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Do you know about the cherryblossom trees?

« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2011 01:44 am »

Oh yeah I wouldn't hesitate to have my child named CombustionMan <_<

Or actually, since I learned during my many, many sociology- and psychologyclasses, giving a child a weird or pretentious name is not always good for the child itself. Society will (mostly without knowing it though) treat it differently. And not even in a good way.
^At least that's how it goes i nour culture, there might be differences somewhere else in the world.

I'll just stick to the more common known names ^^

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2011 10:50 pm »

I named my illegitimate son "Wang Fire."

I never liked the kid.

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2011 10:55 pm »

^You're just jealous because he grew a beard at age six!

iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2011 11:27 pm »

I was actually thinking about naming my kid Zhao

but in all seriousness If i ever had a kid, i would have to have them in mind while thinking of a name, i mean, i wouldnt name my kid something that would embarrass them, even if i did like it...

So,no, i would not name my kid after a avatar character, not because i think its weird naming kids after other people, i mean, i dont think its THAT terrible to name your kid after a cartoon character, as long as they have a normal name (even though, i still wouldnt name my kid after a cartoon character)
just, the thing is, even if they are real names, they're way to fantasy sounding, i mean Zuko, Katara, Sokka,Aang? The kid mine aswell not even go by his real name if it sounds like those! I like different names, but not ones that are so obviously from a certain cartoon...
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2011 11:29 pm by iwashere » Logged

Sigs are for the weak
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2011 11:58 pm »

just, the thing is, even if they are real names, they're way to fantasy sounding, i mean Zuko, Katara, Sokka,Aang? The kid mine aswell not even go by his real name if it sounds like those! I like different names, but not ones that are so obviously from a certain cartoon...

fantasy sounding?
What about, Angelina? Elvis? schwarzenegger?

iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2011 12:12 am »

well, for one Angelina is a fairly normal name, and Elvis doesnt sound as out there as something like Zuko, and how many people do you hear of named Elvis anyway? And Schwarzenegger is a surname

Sigs are for the weak
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #44 on: Dec 13, 2011 12:14 am »

And Schwarzenegger is a surname

So is Zhao Wink

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2011 12:16 am »

And Schwarzenegger is a surname

So is Zhao Wink
And thats why i wouldnt actually name my kid Zhao XD

Sigs are for the weak
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2011 09:53 am »

As tempted as I am, NEVER. I would never subject my child to humiliation and teasing. And I won't create a mish mash of names like "Uniquetes" (yes, I saw a mum name her kid that), "Krisstalene" or name them after pre-existing objects like "Tiara" or "Violin" or "Cloud". Heck, I've even seen "Precious" as a name. You get the picture.

Virtual pets, yes. Real-life pets, probably. Human, no.

Let's not forget the kid whose name was Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:43 pm »

Hell no...it's Mary or Jane or John or nothing.  Tongue
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:54 pm »

What about June?

Violet Vespertine
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:55 pm »

I prefer April.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: