Apr 27, 2017 10:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you name your child after an Avatar character?  (Read 14377 times)
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« on: Dec 10, 2011 08:36 pm »

Would you?

Changed the title to be more grammatically correct. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2011 10:43 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011 09:22 pm »

No. I wouldn't want my kid to get bullied at school for having a stupid name from a cartoon. Childhood is traumatic enough without parents getting their fandom crap all over their kids. -_-;

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2011 09:33 pm »

Probably not. xD Maybe Suki since that's actually a name people have, but I think I'd be a bad mother if I named my child after a cartoon.

Any possible pets are not safe, though. Cheesy

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2011 09:39 pm »

Children, no. Pets, yes. Tongue Pets are understandable, considering that you can always get away with cute little names like Kal-El, Sammy, or Zuko, or Iroh, and so forth. Although, I have to say that I wouldn't ever name my child after a cartoon, unless it somehow sounds similar to an actual name in real life. Tongue How the actors names, like Dante or Zack or anything like that...yes. But not the actual characters names.

Although, while we're on the subject, I will say that I did always want to name my child Alexander if I ever had a boy. Tongue But that's a different story entirely.

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2011 09:48 pm »

Pets are understandable, considering that you can always get away with cute little names like Kal-El, Sammy, or Zuko, or Iroh, and so forth.

Can I hazard a guess that your pets are named Kal-El, Sammy, Zuko, and Iroh? Cheesy

Haha, yeah, but finding out you're named after fictional people would be the worst. I remember being kinda upset when I thought my middle name came from a type of car (that wasn't the case; I was actually named for someone, but it stung when I thought my parents thought I was worth the same as an old car). x3

Personally, I don't understand the concept of naming kids after people, excluding relatives/family names or people that made a personal and significant difference in the parents' life. Why not give your kids a start in life with their own identity, you know?

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2011 09:52 pm »

Probably not. CD Maybe Suki since that's actually a name people have, but I think I'd be a bad mother if I named my child after a cartoon.

actually, all their names are real names, just from different parts of the world.

please support The Search - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Film http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-search-an-avatar-the-last-airbender-film
EndlessFlame55
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Riddle Me This, Riddle Me That~

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011 10:03 pm »

Can I hazard a guess that your pets are named Kal-El, Sammy, Zuko, and Iroh? Cheesy

Acutally, no! Cheesy I honestly don't own any pets in real life, although I've been thinking about getting a cat for the longest time now. However, if I did follow through with that, I would probably name the little fella Misha, or Michael or something. Wink

Although, back on topic...even though Zuko, Iroh, Aang, Katara and so forth are *perhaps* real names, and I use that perhaps very losely considering I never once thought of them being anything else other than fantasy names, just like Frodo, Aragorn, Anakin, Obi-Wan and so forth, I still don't think they would be well suited for children names. Tongue They're too...they're too strange sounding!

*~*ASN's Queen of Bromance*~* (Tumblr link in siggy. <3)

Keeper of: The 'Iroh Is Zuko's Father' theory, and the Irko reunion scene.
(I love these boys with my whole entire heart~)
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm »

I know of several girls named Suki

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011 10:23 pm »

Acutally, no! Cheesy I honestly don't own any pets in real life, although I've been thinking about getting a cat for the longest time now. However, if I did follow through with that, I would probably name the little fella Misha, or Michael or something. Wink

;p Cute!

azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2011 10:29 pm »

I have a cat named autumn

Blackblossom
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Tabbycat842
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011 11:35 pm »

I could name my kid after an Avatar character. I love the name Korra, and some of the other names aren't too odd for US culture in this century.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2011 12:22 am »

Kids? Certainly not.

Pets, computers, computer servers, wireless networks, external hard drives, cell phones, gaming systems, ipods, cars, etc? Sure, why not.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
beautifulcreatures
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Derp.

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011 01:53 am »

hmm.....maybe. If I have daughter than I would probably choose either Korra or Katara. They are uncommon and unique. Jet's a cool name for a boy too.  Tongue

Eire
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Visitor worlds apart

648718851 eireika2@yahoo.com
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2011 03:56 pm »

Actually Suki or Katara in Polish can bring many unfortunate implications. Actually, by the time I have children my interest in Avatar will probably turn into nostalgia like many others did, so I don't want my hypothetical descendants to bear signs of my random fantasies.

Ps. EndlessFlame55, Frodo is actually a normal Scandinavian  name.

Per aspera ad astra, man!

"I judge, lord, that ten thousands of nacked maidens make less impression than one"
Lightningbend
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2011 04:18 pm »

KORRA makes sense, seeing as we have people named KARA so...yeah! :I

Other than that? No, I wouldn't. I would MAYBE give a son of mine the name Aang, but only as a middle name and CERTAINLY not as a first!

Legend of Korra, Nickelodeon's redheaded step-child.
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2011 05:24 pm »

I wouldn't name my child after a character that is so obviously from Avatar, like Aang, Katara, Sokka, Zuko, or Toph. Then my friends would make fun of my child until the end of time. Tongue But I told myself that if I were to marry a Japanese man, I might name one of my daughters Suki. Might.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2011 05:29 pm »

When it comes to middle names at least, they really can't be worse than most.

I'd like to call a cat something ridiculous from Avatar though.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011 05:32 pm »

I'd like to call a cat something ridiculous from Avatar though.

Sparky Sparky Boom Cat!

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2011 05:36 pm »

^ If I get a cat, that's what I'm naming it. For sure.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2011 05:58 pm »

You guys might be interested to know momo is a girls name

tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2011 06:04 pm »

Sounds more like a nickname to me. I know a girl whose initials are M.O. so some people call her Mo, or Momo.

azure_flame
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2011 06:17 pm »

momo means peach

and zuko means monkey Cheesy

And Azula can be translated as blue sky
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2011 06:22 pm by azure_flame » Logged

Spartak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2011 08:42 pm »

Hell no.

Keeper of Azula's Lightning Hands.

Super Sidera Votum

"BATHE IN THEIR BLOOD, KORRA."

~Assyrian tablet, c.2800 BC
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2011 09:00 pm »

I find it hard to decide, but I think my wife wouldn't let me.  Middle name maybe.

Mr Grieves
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2011 09:12 pm »

^On the contrary, I'd only do it if my wife made me.
Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: