Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Things Noticed In Korra *Spoilers*  (Read 36517 times)
magicappa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2011 09:33 pm »

That woman who's standing next to old guy in the glasses (Sokka...?) in the firebending training scene, could she be Suki? Probably not, but just hazarding a wild guess here. :O if i'm right then they're looking REALLY SUPER DUPER GOOD for their age. O_O
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011 09:36 pm by magicappa » Logged
Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2011 09:48 pm »

Also, does anyone notice that the OWL seems to have developed a much wider influence and sense of control over the Avatar? I suppose it emphasizes how the Avatar belongs to everyone, instead of simply allowing an individual nation to inform the Avatar, but yeah.

I like that idea. If you wanted to internationalize the Avatar's training, the OWL seems a likely choice. They're sort of warrior sages. Although by Korra's time, the long peace might have pushed the OWL into being more strictly philosophical an organization.

Alternatively, Korra doesn't seem to have traveled to learn the other elements. Her teachers came to the South Pole, and to a fortified training ground at that. Maybe the OWL are acting as Korra's Secret Service until she is fully trained? Because in a modern media age like Korra was born in, she can hardly travel the world anonymously, or without the public taking an interest in her.

(Avatar paparazzi?)
RubberBandMan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2011 10:03 pm »

If thats true, the Korra may be super pumped to learn airbending because it means she'll get to travel to a new place, if all the other bending styles she learned at home. And the reason she can't have her teacher come to her is because there is only one master airbender, and he's part of the city leadership, so he can't travel to the south pole for three or more months.

I wonder if that means Korra will be living with Tenzin with his family (pleanty of reason to show them as important characters if they're going to be around Korra whenever she's at home).

I'm gonna snap!
High Elemental
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Searching for My True Steak

« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm »

The fanbase's reaction when Amon kills Katara.

Also I've been hearing one of the sages is voiced by Stephen Root, who played Milton in Office Space and voiced Bill Dautrieve in King of the Hill. Nothing definite though.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011 10:13 pm by High Elemental » Logged

worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2011 10:48 pm »

^Well, it sure sounded like Stephen Root, who also voiced a rabbit swordsman in the new Thundercat remake.

After seeing the leaked episode image of Chief Bei Fong, I have this distinct impression she does NOT take after Toph. (In fact, she might be a cold-hearted bit-I...don't know where that came from.) Nevertheless, I'm worried ties between Toph and the GAang started to break over the years. (If her kid's running around as Chief of Police, which probably doesn't pay much; it makes me wonder if the Bei Fong Estate was somehow... prepossessed.)

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2011 10:57 pm »

Eh, the Chief probably gets paid well. She's got a job as chief of the popo and also has a council seat. Wouldn't that put her on politician status?

Do the thing.
WaterbendingSpirit20
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2011 11:55 pm »

Did anyone notice that Old!Katara's hairline and Chief Bei Fong's hairline are pretty much the same with the short divide in the middle?
Either the animators weren't paying attention with the design (made it similar with no real intention) OR the Tokka theories ARE RIGHT! Either Sokka and Toph had a love child or Toph settled down with someone from the Water Tribe in Republic City? However, I don't think that hairline is a distinctive Water Tribe trait...
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2011 12:50 am »

^ NO. JUST NO.

*ahem* Sorry. I'm sorry.

I'm going with the former.

I think this may have been pointed out before, but whatever. I love how Korra earthbends a car up into the air. I think she may have been scared of it because she didn't know what it was.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2011 12:55 am »

^I thought it was a get-away car driven by the same guys she beat up in the trailer.

Patience is an important principle of Airbending, right? Well, which do you think will be a harder, yet more effective test: her skill at meditation...or babysitting Tenzin's "little bundles of joy"?
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2011 03:05 am by worldends08 » Logged

tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2011 12:56 am »

The latter. For sure.

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:32 am »

Note that the infopack said Korra ran away to RC but the video showed them giving permission. Suspicion?

Join the Official Legend of Korra fanclub! They have prizes!

I'm also the keeper of the Fire Nation Palace's gratuitous flame decals.
azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2011 05:07 am »

Quoting myself:
So, i checked where exactly Republic City is situated according to that intro:

and, if the map on avatar wiki is correct, it's close to the Aunt Wu's village! Only of course Republic City is on the oceanside.

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2011 05:28 am »

Note that the infopack said Korra ran away to RC but the video showed them giving permission. Suspicion?

They also said "everyone from ATLA is dead"; but look...OLD Katara! So what if we were mislead.

TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2011 12:32 pm »

That was never said, the key word was a "might as well" be dead or a "gone." never said they were all dead. Katara however, did.

Join the Official Legend of Korra fanclub! They have prizes!

I'm also the keeper of the Fire Nation Palace's gratuitous flame decals.
Luna
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ah, the sound of dying.

« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2011 12:40 pm »

For some reason, the Island that Tenzin and co live on, remind me of Alcatrez.

*is shot*

It's a classic sig that I can never let go of|I still keep my keeps :]|♥♥♥ Kuzai ♥ Urzai ♥♥♥|President of the Azulon Fan Club|
AuroraDawn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm complicated. Life's complicated.

« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2011 02:43 pm »

The thing about Bolin and Mako being half-brothers interests me. I mean I have half brothers myself all having the same mother but different dads. And it would be more interesting if their mother and fathers were alive, just to see such a muli cultural family. And I want to see the Pro Bending tournament soooo bad !! Tongue

- Long distance relationships are the true tests of someones love, if someones love can withstand the test of thousands of miles then it can withstand any and everything else. ♥

RCNano13
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Howl is Not Amused

« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2011 03:17 pm »

I think this may have been pointed out before, but whatever. I love how Korra earthbends a car up into the air. I think she may have been scared of it because she didn't know what it was.

LIKE!!! That would be so hilarious even though I'm sure it probably is a get away car from the baddies she was seen previously kicking their a-I mean-butt.

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2011 03:42 pm »

LIKE!!! That would be so hilarious even though I'm sure it probably is a get away car from the baddies she was seen previously kicking their a-I mean-butt.

It makes Korra seem really sheltered. That training center we saw her in was pretty built up, so it likely saw a lot of use. That dragon drawn on the fighting platform alone speaks of a lot of care and time invested in building the training grounds. Has Korra spent her entire 'Avatar' life training in that place and no other?

When Roku learnt waterbending, he lived among the Water Tribe. Yet Korra's teachers seem to have come to her. I wonder why that is. Maybe the Fire Nation and Water Tribe have different practices for training their Avatars? Or is it too dangerous for an untrained Korra to travel the world? Alternatively, we know Korra's parents are alive even when she's 17, so perhaps it's just that Aang/the White Lotus/Katara/whoever doesn't want a young Avatar to be forcibly separated from their family. I could see an elderly Aang not wanting his successor to go through with what he did when the temple elders tried to remove him from Gyatso's care.

On a meta level, having everything in Republic City be strange to her makes easy sense. The "fish out of water" is a classic narrative device to deliver exposition to the audience. Just look at Aang and the Water Tribe siblings in the first series, who were a trio of lost fishes for viewers.
AuroraDawn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2011 03:48 pm »

^ The fish out of the water really excites me to see her so vulnerable and almost lost not knowing what cars or maybe even what electricity is. Reminds me of Pocahontas in a weird not related way....:/

- Long distance relationships are the true tests of someones love, if someones love can withstand the test of thousands of miles then it can withstand any and everything else. ♥

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:01 pm »

i think the out-in-the-open presence of the OWL, and their more active role -instead of mere observers or Watchers- has a lot to do with this. they actively involve themselves in the avatar's upbringing and education, and the fact that they did it by isolating her might actually be an important plot point.

this makes me wonder: the reason for the Avatar to come in a human form -or host, if you will- is because it is important for the Avatar to walk amongst humans, to come to understand them and watch over them in a wise way. Previous avatars in the close past were well aware of this, Aang was.
by isolating Korra, they are going directly against this. shouldn't the Avatar Spirit have acted?

Also i see her getting arrested for 'helping out' (read: making a big earthbending mess when the city is already on the edge about bending) as an indication about how she will approach Amon, and how wrong she will be.

^ The fish out of the water really excites me to see her so vulnerable and almost lost not knowing what cars or maybe even what electricity is. Reminds me of Pocahontas in a weird not related way....:/

i think she has seen a wagon before. and with a mentor like katara, she undoubtedly has heard about Sokka and automated contraptions.

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
AuroraDawn
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:05 pm »

^ That is true if she did indeed ever met Sokka, or Katara maybe could of explained at some points. But still the vehicle incident I still believe she was frightened like they discussed up above, or they held those type of gang members and she wanted to teach them a lesson. Either or I'm happy both ways Tongue

Yougo
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Respect the Screaming bird!

« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:11 pm »

^ That is true if she did indeed ever met Sokka, or Katara maybe could of explained at some points. But still the vehicle incident I still believe she was frightened like they discussed up above, or they held those type of gang members and she wanted to teach them a lesson. Either or I'm happy both ways Tongue
*coughMr.WangFyreOWLmembercough*

sig by me.
keeper of: the Screaming bird's horrible shreak; The Bendig Mark.
MurkyMuse
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:33 pm »

i think the out-in-the-open presence of the OWL, and their more active role -instead of mere observers or Watchers- has a lot to do with this. they actively involve themselves in the avatar's upbringing and education, and the fact that they did it by isolating her might actually be an important plot point.

this makes me wonder: the reason for the Avatar to come in a human form -or host, if you will- is because it is important for the Avatar to walk amongst humans, to come to understand them and watch over them in a wise way. Previous avatars in the close past were well aware of this, Aang was.
by isolating Korra, they are going directly against this. shouldn't the Avatar Spirit have acted?

This really interests me. Keeping Korra one place to train seems so against what we know about the Avatar. What is the reasoning behind it? Could that be part of the reason she's having trouble to the spiritual aspect? I can't wait to see where the show goes with that.

Member of Mako's Manly Scarf of Masculine Manliness Fanclub
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:38 pm »

Who knows? - expect M&B. They probably felt it was in her best interest b/c the word has changed drastically, with a whole new set of problems on the side. (Whose to say there wouldn't be a few attempts on Korra's life?) Given her rebellious, free-spirited attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if she found SOME way to sneak out into the world - most likely during her Earthbending training. I am open to the idea that her solitary upbringing is linked to a traitor in O.W.L; pulling the strings behind an Avatar's training may prove to be beneficial in the long run. (The O.W.L. guy, who sounds like he's voiced by Stephen Root, would definitely fit in as a "bad guy.")

As for Aang's "delayed" appearance, we shouldn't forget Aang lives through Korra b/c she IS his reincarnation, so he must know what's going on in her life & trusts her advisors. (Maybe plans were already set aside before his death, so he knew what to expect in his next life.)
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2011 04:47 pm by worldends08 » Logged

Lavanya Six
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2011 04:58 pm »

This really interests me. Keeping Korra one place to train seems so against what we know about the Avatar. What is the reasoning behind it? Could that be part of the reason she's having trouble to the spiritual aspect? I can't wait to see where the show goes with that.

There doesn't seem to be any global threat this time around, so I don't think it's a major outside danger. My money would be on not separating Korra from her parents, possibly as a reaction from Aang and/or Katara after what happened with Monk Gyatso. For better or worse, they used their pull to keep Korra near her family during training.

(Darker thought: Maybe it's Katara being a wee bit selfish and wanting to keep Aang's successor nearby as a way to stay connected with him?)
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: