Nov 20, 2019 08:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 3 (5.6%)
9 - 7 (13%)
8 - 16 (29.6%)
7 - 17 (31.5%)
6 - 4 (7.4%)
5 - 4 (7.4%)
4 - 2 (3.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #1] The Promise, Part 1  (Read 48247 times)
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2012 11:25 am »

I do have an idea of what the Lost adventures were about; just didn't get the time or the desire to read it though. One day.. maybe one day Tongue

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #476 on: May 13, 2012 04:02 pm »

Those few stories between Book 2 and 3 were kind of important.

I disagree completely. There were three stories:

1. Sokka and Bosco get into slapstick adventures that highlight the bear's inability to live in the wild. It ends with the Earth King very suddenly deciding to travel the world so that he and Bosco can learn to live in the wild.
New information not provided by The Awakening: Bosco doesn't know how to climb a tree.

2. Zuko doesn't want to go back to the Fire Nation, so Azula sets him up on a date with Mai. They both enjoy the date. The next day, Zuko still doesn't want to go back to the Fire Nation and couldn't care less that Mai is leaving, but then Azula tells him that Iroh might not survive the journey in captivity and Zuko immediately changes his mind and goes home.
New information not provided by The Awakening: Zuko actually couldn't care less about dating Mai. This information was later revealed by The Day of Black Sun and all the subsequent episodes.

3. Katara summarizes the events of retreating to her father's Water Tribe rebels after the fall of Ba Sing Se, capturing some Fire Nation ships, and making for open waters. She also hints at having newfound issues with her father.
New information not provided by The Awakening: Fire Nation soldiers have little flame decals on their underwear.

To me, they read more like Season 3 hype than anything actually necessary for the story. Not to mention that only the first one had good art.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #477 on: May 13, 2012 05:34 pm »

^ Questions that were answered by the comics:

1. Why did the Earth King leave just like that?
2. Why are Zuko and Mai together all of a sudden?
3. Where did Pipsqueak and The Duke come from?

Of course you could still understand the bigger story regardless, but by that reasoning you could skip almost any episode (aside from the season beginnings and endings) and still be able to follow the show. And yet I would argue that you missed something if you never saw, say, Imprisoned, Avatar Day and The Southern Raiders. None of them are essential to the story and you can definitely enjoy the show without, but then you won't know where Haru came from, will learn nothing about Avatar Kyoshi and the story of Katara's mother would never be wrapped up.

I guess our definition of 'kind of important' is just different.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #478 on: May 14, 2012 06:58 pm »

The difference is that the stuff inImprisoned was referred to again, had characters from it appear again, and it fit in with the wider themes and character arcs in the series. Compare those three comics, which didn't do any of that. In fact, the first one with the Earth King kind of contradicted the reason given in the cartoon, even.

It's like arguing that learning about Zuko's sixth toe on his left foot somehow adds to the viewing experience.

3. Where did Pipsqueak and The Duke come from?

What's hilarious is the that comic glossed over their inclusion with an off-hand summary, instead of actually depicting it, just like The Awakening. Roll Eyes

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2012 01:35 pm »

Then Aang and Katara wouldn't stop attacking them so Zuko tried to stop them from hurting his soldiers any further and then Aang went all glowly and tried to kill Zuko because he wouldn't let go of Katara.

They did stop attacking until one of Zuko's soldiers tried to attack Aang from behind, that's when Katara began attacking again. And Zuko should've let go of Katara when they told him too, plain and simple. He didn't, so he got smacked around for it.

And yep, Katara can take care of herself, so either way, Zuko was going to get a well deserved butt whooping.

There's a difference between a 'butt whooping' and trying to murder someone. Aang could easily have made Zuko let go without going into the Avatar State.

The fact that he even brought up his promise means he immediately assumed that Zuko was acting with bad intentions, which is not a great sign of friendship.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #480 on: May 28, 2012 10:52 pm »

Never mind that he was already debating it with his friends and Roku. Aang was totally primed to go in there and murder Zuko.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #481 on: May 28, 2012 11:00 pm »

^ Roku is being a total ******* anyway.

Seriously, just because you were too lax with your friends doesn't mean you have to encourage your successor to murder them. Let the kid find his own way already.

PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #482 on: May 29, 2012 02:51 pm »

Then Aang and Katara wouldn't stop attacking them so Zuko tried to stop them from hurting his soldiers any further and then Aang went all glowly and tried to kill Zuko because he wouldn't let go of Katara.

They did stop attacking until one of Zuko's soldiers tried to attack Aang from behind, that's when Katara began attacking again. And Zuko should've let go of Katara when they told him too, plain and simple. He didn't, so he got smacked around for it.

And yep, Katara can take care of herself, so either way, Zuko was going to get a well deserved butt whooping.

There's a difference between a 'butt whooping' and trying to murder someone. Aang could easily have made Zuko let go without going into the Avatar State.

The fact that he even brought up his promise means he immediately assumed that Zuko was acting with bad intentions, which is not a great sign of friendship.
^THIS.

I agree, Zuko definitely needed to get his butt kicked for not letting go of Katara, maybe knock him down or something, but go and try to kill him? That is a huge overreaction and that's what I really have a problem with the most in these comics. Zuko grabs Katara by the arm and Aang automatically assumes that Zuko's gone genocidal Ozai and has to "keep him promise"? Like, what.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: