Nov 12, 2019 02:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Rate This Comic:
10 - 3 (5.6%)
9 - 7 (13%)
8 - 16 (29.6%)
7 - 17 (31.5%)
6 - 4 (7.4%)
5 - 4 (7.4%)
4 - 2 (3.7%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DH Comics #1] The Promise, Part 1  (Read 48188 times)
Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #450 on: Apr 10, 2012 10:42 pm »

No not one of the best, but I don't think it was one of the worst either, and in my opinion it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
iwashere
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

'⚘'

« Reply #451 on: Apr 10, 2012 10:44 pm »

The Beach was very cheesy. And i'm not into cheese, (Unless its in food) but I like the episode. It had its weak points, but it was enjoyable overall.

Sigs are for the weak
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #452 on: Apr 10, 2012 10:52 pm »

The Beach was overall a humor-based episode, which is probably why I like it so much. I'm a humor kind of girl. Roll Eyes

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #453 on: Apr 10, 2012 10:58 pm »

^Really? I didn't get much humor from it other than Azula's lack of social skills with people her own age.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
tophness
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

^ She's a cutie.

« Reply #454 on: Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm »

Well it definitely wasn't a serious episode (excluding the fireside angst-fest). Tongue

Keeps: Sokka's "Yes! Yes it can!"; Young!Mai's hair ribbons; Aang's big ears, the hidden Kataang kiss from 202
Korrasami bromance; Older!Aang's beard; Jinora's "Stay away from my dad's ex-girlfriend!"
momo_toph26
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Meelo and his potato head

« Reply #455 on: Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm »

I think the part with Lo and Li was intended to be humorous.

But in general, yeah, Azula's over-intense game of volleyball was funny.

Sig by arasam22
Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #456 on: Apr 10, 2012 11:02 pm »

And Zuko's fail with the icecream and the shell.

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #457 on: Apr 11, 2012 12:15 am »

The B story is what I hated about it. I thought the whole CM thing was really unnecessary.

proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #458 on: Apr 11, 2012 12:19 am »

^I loved that episode!!! I use it to describe to others what my neice in law is like!
Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #459 on: Apr 11, 2012 12:45 am »

The B story is what I hated about it. I thought the whole CM thing was really unnecessary.
Yeah they didn't do a good job handeling the gaang as a B-Plot.

gonewiththewind17
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Asami, the nonbending swagbender

« Reply #460 on: Apr 11, 2012 01:13 am »

Blah. I hated the way they had the characters around a camp fire. Like a freaking campfire! All you need now is a tent and a couple of flashlights and it'd be just another batch of schoolgirls sharing their 'secrets'. I know it has to appeal to the small children watching, but that was so cliche.

I thought the B plot was also pretty badly handled. I thought that overall, the Beach was a bit humorous (and full of eye candy!) but could've been done so much better. Explore the Azula/Zuko dynamic, make the Mai betrayal not seem so out of the blue. It could've been used to show how actually fragile Azula's pysche was.

For sure, the jokes will never get old (so sharp!), but I would've much preferred if the B plot had been taken out entirely from the episode, and in general more time given to Ozai's Angels + Zuko + FN capital. I mean, I dunno about you guys, but I would've been just fine without the Painted Lady or even the Runaway.  Those two episodes essentially showed that Katara likes to help people, is motherly cuz Kya died and that Toph has a rocky relationship with her parents and maybe some more. That could've easily been condensed into one episode, IMO. We already could sort of guess at those attributes of the characters' personality without episode time being wasted on them.
Additionally, although I am a proud supporter of the whole 'save the environment' movement, I didn't care too much for how unsubtly that messaged was spelled out. -_-

Anyways, ontopic:
The Promise was not at all an enjoyable read and utterly irrational + senseless at parts. I seriously hope future comics shan't be like this in the future.

“Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'”
 -Alexander Dumas, The Counte of Monte Cristo

Icon by Plushu Smiley
Toph kicks butt
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

lil zuzu

« Reply #461 on: May 02, 2012 10:44 pm »

the first promise was AWESOME loved it Smiley

zuko vs. mako
Wan-Shi-Tong-Servant
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #462 on: May 03, 2012 03:08 pm »

Explore the Azula/Zuko dynamic, make the Mai betrayal not seem so out of the blue. It could've been used to show how actually fragile Azula's pysche was . . . and in general more time given to Ozai's Angels + Zuko + FN capital.

They had ALL of the third season to develop the Azula/Zuko dynamic, and Iroh, and Ty Lee, except that they spent all of it on Mai and Zuko tongue wrestling.  Roll Eyes

I would've been just fine without the Painted Lady or even the Runaway.

Blasphemy! Katara and Toph shined in those episodes. The humor with Sokka's schedule was funny. Toph admitted that she wasn't just your token rebellious girl, and that she actually cared about her parents. I was expecting to get to see her reunite with them, after Zuko and Iroh, and Katara and Hakoda. How touching would it have been for her to talk to Zuko and Katara beforehand, and being unsure about whether she was welcome back or not?

Additionally, although I am a proud supporter of the whole 'save the environment' movement, I didn't care too much for how unsubtly that messaged was spelled out. -_-

If you're a supporter, I don't see why you have a problem with it. It's not like they ran that theme into the ground or anything. The last thing I remember mentioning destruction of the environment was Hei Bai.

Anyways, ontopic:
The Promise was not at all an enjoyable read and utterly irrational + senseless at parts. I seriously hope future comics shan't be like this in the future.

From the leaks I've seen, I'm gonna have to mostly agree with this~ I don't know if I'm going to buy it or not. Aang promising to kill him? Really? If a fanfiction writer tried to pull something like that, they'd be laughed right off the stage.

And I mean, where did the Suki thing come from? I hope Ty Lee would be worried about her childhood friend to whom she claimed, "I know you." The fact that Suki was never even remotely cool to Zuko about burning down her town always threw me for a loop.

An in-depth examination of ATLA. Ty Lee meets Azula's targets: complete strangers, yet their auras glow invitingly. Kataang, TyLokka, sibling!Toko http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5732344/1/What_Meets_the_Eye

Undertale fanfic:
http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=24342.msg2465903#msg246590
PokemonLotty
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Swag.

« Reply #463 on: May 09, 2012 08:09 pm »

That's true-I hadn't thought of it that way. If someone on fanfiction even brought up Aang promising to kill Zuko, I honestly think they might be turned into the next Jackie Diaz with enough popularity.

Follow me on tumblr! Smiley
http://sub-maureen.tumblr.com/
Ubern00b
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Moar Avatar makes me happy in my smile parts!

« Reply #464 on: May 09, 2012 11:40 pm »

They should've just given it to Rufftoon.  Now there's a girl that knows how to tell an Avatar story!

nahgem
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #465 on: May 10, 2012 12:07 am »

Now there's a girl that knows how to tell an Avatar story!
Preach. I sometimes forget that Water Tribe isn't canon.
ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #466 on: May 10, 2012 12:51 am »

They should've just given it to Rufftoon.  Now there's a girl that knows how to tell an Avatar story!

They only picked him because of racebending, not for his talent. Rufftoon should be handed the reigns to either
-publish and continue Water Tribe Zhao  as a graphic novel collected, as CANON. Sure him dieing is satisfying as an end to his arc  , in the end ,  if he survived like this comic, I'd follow it.
-Do her AU Avatar set 20 years later
-Redo "The Failed Promise", perhaps create culpable and intelligent arcs that anyone can read and understand , not dreck.

I'd love it if Nina Matsumoto, whom did the Zuko Prequel manga , did the art for the comics as it has a distinct feel that catures the Avatar style but  is more detailed.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2012 06:42 pm »

I asked Rufftoon about it, back before Gene Yang's involvement was announced, and she said she was too busy being a storyboard artist. That day, a piece of my soul died.

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #468 on: May 10, 2012 06:53 pm »

That it very  depressing. She would have been perfect for it.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
fireywaters
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Peace on Avatar, before peace in real life

« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2012 09:58 pm »

One thing I hope for in the new book, is Ty Lee gets mention by name. In this book, all she does have a couple of one liners, and she is not even Ty Lee, she is Kyoshi Warrior number 2.

Peace between the Fire Nation and the other nations, before peace in our world
duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2012 10:07 pm »

So I guess I am not missing out much by not reading the comics?

I was actually looking forward to it but when I saw the pages where Aang promises to kill Zuko and how he goes into the Avatar state when Zuko grabs Katara's hands... let's just say, I decided to keep my distance.

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #471 on: May 11, 2012 10:13 pm »

Good call. Your sanity thanks you.

NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2012 10:18 pm »

I still sort of liked it. Smiley There's room for improvement, sure, but I like reading more stories about the Gaang.

Is doesn't feel very canon though. I'd put it on the same level as The Lost Adventures.

duckie
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Kyoshi fan strikes again with the sig and avi :)

« Reply #473 on: May 12, 2012 08:30 am »

I didn't read Lost Adventures either Tongue

Proud Zutarian till the end. Going down with the ship Cheesy

IROSAMI for life!
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2012 10:39 am »

^ Then you missed something. Those few stories between Book 2 and 3 were kind of important.

Plus I really liked seeing some 'extra scenes'. But of course, if you're not interested in more Gaang stories you can just watch Korra instead, I guess. Smiley

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: