Apr 22, 2019 06:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar Couples You Support - Part 13  (Read 1110547 times)
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7450 on: May 25, 2017 06:31 pm »

I was thinking more that she'd be flustered by romance, not Sokka. You know, like how kissing one guy got her so hot and bothered she spontaneously combusted and began screaming about taking over the world?

Girl has no chill.

Old School
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7451 on: May 25, 2017 07:11 pm »

Well, yeah, I see where you're going there. I thought you meant it in a way that would be unique to how she would interact with Sokka. The whole thing with Chan is probably indicative of how she might interact with any potential suitor who isn't a subordinate or her brother. I mean, that's just her way of complimenting you.
Nausicaa
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7452 on: May 26, 2017 03:11 am »

For crackships I am more of an Azulaang fan. Also I am still a little upset that we don't have at least ONE drawing of Ursa and June out there. If I could draw I totally would have at least a few sketches of those two. The best looking women in the Avatarverse and nobody has put them together?

I confused June and Jin for a second and was deeply concerned by the idea   Cheesy

I'm kind of sad that Sokkla has been designated as a "hot" ship. Most of the fanfiction is just all about sex. I just want to see Azula being completely flustered and out of her element, with Sokka being terrified but also desperately intrigued.

See, the fandom's presentation of certain ships is interesting to me because I've mostly only been exposed to fan art of the big two- Kataang and Zutara. And I've never read much fanfic, outside of some that got MSTed years ago. So I had no idea that Sokka/ Azula stuff skewed that way! I'd be interested to know more about these fandom trends  Tongue

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #7453 on: May 26, 2017 05:59 am »

I was thinking more that she'd be flustered by romance, not Sokka. You know, like how kissing one guy got her so hot and bothered she spontaneously combusted and began screaming about taking over the world?

I dunno but Sokka did not have the same "charm" as Chan. His awkwardness would most likely not trigger Azula.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7454 on: May 26, 2017 06:16 pm »

Chan had no charm. Tongue It was the kiss that got Azula all hot'n'unbothered, and Sokka is (canonically Tongue) capable of kissing. In fact, Suki seemed pretty pleased on that front. Yue, too, but she only had Hahn as a comparison.

Really, I see Azula's flustering coming from her not knowing the rules of romantic interaction. Everything she did with Chan was practically scripted by Ty Lee for her, and we all know that when Azula doesn't have a script, she gets unstable and/or starts bringing down civilizations. So I expect any romance for Azula that lasts beyond thirty seconds will have her flustered at times, anxious at times, paranoid at times, etc.

Sokka would simply be Azula's Manic Pixie Dream Boy, albeit one with a practical engineering mindset who would also be afraid for his life.

Best love story ever, if only more people would write it.

See, the fandom's presentation of certain ships is interesting to me because I've mostly only been exposed to fan art of the big two- Kataang and Zutara. And I've never read much fanfic, outside of some that got MSTed years ago. So I had no idea that Sokka/ Azula stuff skewed that way! I'd be interested to know more about these fandom trends  Tongue

I don't read all that much outside of my interests, but I've encountered enough Ty Zula to know that it is the opposite of what I just described above. Cheesy

AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #7455 on: May 27, 2017 04:57 am »

Chan had no charm. Tongue

Oh, come on, I put that thing in quotation marks for a reason  Grin. I was referring to this:

Versus Sokka:

I don't think that the latter would impress Azula as much as the former.

Keeper of Suki's firebending ancestry, the Kyoshi Warrior dojo, the love potion made from rainbows and sunsets and the mecha tanks.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7456 on: May 28, 2017 03:00 pm »

I dunno, we didn't actually see Chan's charm work on Azula, did we? He went through his Beach Hunk routine, made a joke about sand that even Anakin Skywalker would have rolled his eyes at, and fell for Azula's beginner-level manipulations. Her interest seemed mainly about successfully playing the Dating Game, and Chan was simply the top dog in the field she found herself in.

Sokka, at least, is smart. I think Azula would find that genuinely more attractive than standard-issue Beach Hunk charm.

Provided, of course, that she ever got a chance to observe it.

But then, he is the only member of the gAang whose name she bothered to learn... Wink

FireNation OrthodoxKnight
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Roki Vulovic is the avatar

« Reply #7457 on: Dec 27, 2018 12:52 am »

I dunno, we didn't actually see Chan's charm work on Azula, did we? He went through his Beach Hunk routine, made a joke about sand that even Anakin Skywalker would have rolled his eyes at, and fell for Azula's beginner-level manipulations. Her interest seemed mainly about successfully playing the Dating Game, and Chan was simply the top dog in the field she found herself in.

Sokka, at least, is smart. I think Azula would find that genuinely more attractive than standard-issue Beach Hunk charm.

Provided, of course, that she ever got a chance to observe it.

But then, he is the only member of the gAang whose name she bothered to learn... Wink

I 100% agree with you. My favorite couples in Avatar is Sokka & Azula, Sokka & Suki and if it is possible if Brian and mike decide to do( i. e bringing Jet back from death) so would be Jet and Azula.

Greek, Russian, English, Serbian
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7458 on: Dec 28, 2018 03:55 pm »

Now, Jet has real charm. If anyone could fluster Azula, I think he might be the one. Cheesy

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7459 on: Dec 29, 2018 12:13 am »

I think so too, because both characters have a few things in common. They have some kind of flare for adventure and violence, they both will be very utilitarian about the means they use to acquire victory in their goals, complicated when coming to their friendships with others, and suffer hard tragedy.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7460 on: Dec 29, 2018 04:21 pm »

And, in a way, both built their whole lives around what they think their parents would want. I expect that trying to move past that would be terrifying in the same way for both of them.

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #7461 on: Dec 29, 2018 05:27 pm »

And then they will have beautiful little children and f them up even worse than either of their own parents could have imagined.

Thus the circle of life continues ever more once again Cheesy

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
plushu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

157% PIANDAOIST

« Reply #7462 on: Dec 29, 2018 07:09 pm »

Pairing Jet and Azula up would be worth it just to watch them try to out crazy one another.

Urmom666
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7463 on: Dec 29, 2018 09:45 pm »

And then they will have beautiful little children and f them up even worse than either of their own parents could have imagined.

I once saw a joke somewhere that if you put those two together their son would turn out like Light Yagami. Come to think of it, Light would work well in a crossover pairing with either one of them to be honest.
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7464 on: Dec 30, 2018 05:23 pm »

I once saw a joke somewhere that if you put those two together their son would turn out like Light Yagami. Come to think of it, Light would work well in a crossover pairing with either one of them to be honest.
I would be interested in seeing if Azula had children or not, and with whom? If not jet which would interesting then at least sokka or some new character like Mai's previous boyfriend kei lo. 

DanChaolan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7465 on: Dec 31, 2018 12:30 pm »

At first, I was mostly a canon guy, I was satisfied with who got with who. But rewatching the series again, I ain't feeling it with Aang and Katara. I'm sure it worked better in the sequel comics, I only read The Promise and The Search and that was only through one reading and it was a while ago. I'm more on the Aang x Toph boat now, I think it's cuter and has that edge of opposites attract. I can see people not a fan and I can see why people would still prefer Kataang. I like that acronym btw, it's fun to say out loud. It's like a comic book sound effect.

I still dig some canon stuff like Zuko x Mai and Sokka x Suki, though Street Fighter x Tekken, blech. Though if I gotta pair Katara with anybody, it'd be with Zuko. Heck, I might like it more than Zuko x Mai. But I'm fine with either way honestly. Let's just not get creepy and have Iroh x that one creepy eight-year-old-girl that had the hots for Aang and Charlie Brown from Kill Bill. Which Iroh you may ask? Does it matter? It's creepy either way or gross if you factor in the fact that she isn't a vampire. Sorry I had too much fun. And I also had my Adderall today. Woohoo!

But, yeah that's my favorite couples. Aang and Toph I think the contrasts in their personality and lifestyle just make the idea of the couple potentially more endearing. In fact, I wouldn't say the age difference between Aang and Katara bothered me, it just felt like the two had a brother and sister bond. Again I see why people like this couple, I do see the chemistry. I don't think it made for a bad couple perse, just one I feel was underwhelming. Again, the comics might of build upon it more.

I also feel the opposites attract reasoning also works with Suki and Sokka, Suki being from this strict warrior guild with organization and sternness. While Sokka had a bit of that background as well, he didn't engage in it as long as Suki so he isn't as professional (at first) and well mannered as your average Kyoshi Warrior. Especially since their most iconic member was the most strict Avatar.

Zuko and Mai, it's a bit of a blue and red oni thing. Mai is the calm and relaxed goth girl (trope wise anyway) and Zuko is passionate and hot-blooded one. I liked the conflict, but my problem with it is that we didn't see much of it and was a little disappointed with how the comics handled it from what I remembered. But as for why I like Zuko and Katara since we do get that nice bit of drama and trust, their lifestyles contrast more as well as their personalities. They both do have that hot-blood, sternness, and maturity but they're still are very different and could make for a nice couple as a whole.

I'll be honest I don't have the most experience with romance. So I don't blame y'all for thinking my reasonings are as graceful and stable as dynamite with lipstick with an avalanche approaching the detonator.

Oh, and the buildings are made of styrofoam. Just wanted to add that last bit.
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7466 on: Dec 31, 2018 03:35 pm »

I truly do think Aang and Toph might have felt a little something something up until 'The Desert.' I think the whole Appa Incident killed what was building there. But it came so close, and they still do more synchronized Earthbending than Kataang did synchronized Waterbending.

Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7467 on: Dec 31, 2018 06:32 pm »

DanChaolan what do you think would be a good paring with Azula? A relationship between Katara and Zuko in a romantic light is better written then Anag, but from what i remember originally Zuko was going to be dating Katara.

DanChaolan
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7468 on: Jan 01, 2019 12:41 pm »

I truly do think Aang and Toph might have felt a little something something up until 'The Desert.' I think the whole Appa Incident killed what was building there. But it came so close, and they still do more synchronized Earthbending than Kataang did synchronized Waterbending.
I agree. It's very satisfying to see Aang really get in tune with Earthbending. I did like the synchronizing between Aang and Katara though, it added some nice conflict and growth with Katara, having her sync with Aang feeling satisfying as well.

DanChaolan what do you think would be a good paring with Azula? A relationship between Katara and Zuko in a romantic light is better written then Anag, but from what i remember originally Zuko was going to be dating Katara.
I honestly don't know. I guess if we age up Azula, maybe Zhao (or heck, age him down). They're both sinister and passionate to the Fire Nation. though Zhao is a bit more level-headed. He can be a bit aggressive, but it ain't in the same league as Azula's aggression. Outside of that, I can't think of anyone else without modifying the age or anything. Also, what is Anag? Is that Aang x Azula?
Aerial
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7469 on: Jan 01, 2019 08:29 pm »

DanChaolan what do you think would be a good paring with Azula?
I honestly don't know. I guess if we age up Azula, maybe Zhao (or heck, age him down)

I got your back:

(source)

Is it necessary to age them up/down, though? I may be new to ASN, but I know for a fact the shipping thread here has seen more bizarre ships Cheesy

I'm not into shipping myself, but I do enjoy seeing fanart of certain pairings from time to time, i.e., the ones that I find amusing, like the one above. Also, I'd be lying if I said I haven't seen my fair share of steamy Zukaang art.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7470 on: Jan 03, 2019 06:56 pm »

We don't know the legal age of adulthood in the Fire Nation. It's 16 in the Water Tribes, evidenced by Yue's birthday, so I figure the Fire Nation has to have that at a minimum. More technologically sophisticated societies (AKA less agrarian) tend to have higher ages of adulthood, but at the same time, the Fire Nation was at war with a country much bigger than itself, so they probably needed troops and resisted raising the age of adulthood. So 16 is a fair guess for them, too.

That puts Azula, at 14, as legally too young to marry Zhao. Once she hits 16, it would be gross, but if it's what she wants I'm not going to get myself lit on fire trying to dissuade her. Wink

Tamerlan Pahlavi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Pride above all

« Reply #7471 on: Jan 07, 2019 02:03 pm »

So, is it safe to say with absolute confidence that Zuko and Suki are having a hot and steamy affair?

I always liked that ship, they looked well next to each other in The Boiling Rock. Implied Suzuki is something that makes the comics better to me Cheesy

I read a sadly unfinished fic with Suzuki in it, and Sokkla. Azula is allowed back into the palace but is in such a deeply depressed state that she only paints and never speaks to anyone. Sokka however is so impressed by her painting skills that he wants to learn from her. His relationship with Suki is meanwhile going downhill but he still doesn't know or notice the makeout sessions happening behind his back.

There is no refuge but in audacity. No salvation other than in strength.

"It is better to live one hundred years in wealth than seven days in poverty." - Bob Rock
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #7472 on: Jan 07, 2019 07:42 pm »

I prefer to keep Suzuki in AU's. That leaves Sokka free for Maikka without the whole thing getting super-weird. Wink

One of these days I need to get back to developing the plot for the Suki-as-Zuko's-Much-More-Savvy-Than-Him-Bodyguard AU. I wrote a series of shorts for it that were meant to be a collection of vignettes but just became a weirdly disjointed continuous story, and even if I don't ever write a better version, I at least want to work out a proper story arc for it.

Other AU's I've thought of for the ship:

• Zuko is captured by the Kyoshi Warriors after his initial assault on the island, and they keep him there in order to protect Aang. Prisoner/Captor romance ensues!
  • Suki encounters Zuko at the Ba Sing Se ferry while working as a guard. Shenanigans and eventually romance ensue, especially when Iroh steps in to save his nephew's life.
  • Kyoshi makes a ghostly appearance and declares that Zuko is the key to ending the war with the Fire Nation, but that's a problem because his sister is on the path to killing him. Suki undertakes a holy mission to keep Zuko alive and maybe ask him nicely if he's ready to convert to the side of good, yet? Shenanigans and seduction ensue!
  • Suki turns out to be the daughter of Azulon's illegitimate daughter. So Zuko is her second-cousin... and her only path (via marriage) to regaining her royal status! Seduction ensues!
  • Suki is Bumi's long-lost great-granddaughter, and Omashu is in debt. Bumi wonders if Zuko is in need of a highly capable royal wife who he'd be willing to pay a great dowry for? Outrage (and eventual romance) ensue!

I admit, I like comedy. But I really need to come up with some action-adventure AU's for these two.

noblebender
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

-20 approval rating

« Reply #7473 on: Jan 08, 2019 11:41 am »

I support the fanfic framing Suki as Zuko's much savvier bodyguard. I would read that in a heartbeat. Please just post the weirdly disjointed vignettes so I can get my fix of this premise.

So it *was* implicit that Suki and Zuko had something going on, right? Was this widely discussed in the fandom? Was it ever resolved in the comics? Seemed strange but I was also totally on board. (Maybe because it does a decent job of filling the hole in my heart left by SongxZuko.)
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 03:23 pm by noblebender » Logged

credit to bluerainicons @ LJ                                          Harustache senses are TOTALLY on Tophic. - Mariabug, The Pebble, noblebender
AtoMaki
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

ENTP

« Reply #7474 on: Jan 08, 2019 04:07 pm »

One of these days I need to get back to developing the plot for the Suki-as-Zuko's-Much-More-Savvy-Than-Him-Bodyguard AU.

Here is another idea: Suki was adopted into the Royal Family when she was just a baby and grew up alongside the siblings. She is now accompanying Zuko on his quest to find the Avatar because she rather spends time with him than with Azula. Plot twist: Suki is still the leader of the Kyoshi Warriors, and from 103, the KWs become Zuko's very own Elite Mooks (you gotta admit, they complement his Blue Spirit persona very well).

Was this widely discussed in the fandom? Was it ever resolved in the comics?

I only wish there would be something - anything - Suki related widely discussed in the fandom  Cry. But yeah, Suzuki is as close to it as it can get.

My fanficions.

My Avatar RPG system.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: