Dec 14, 2019 03:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kataang Family (Aang, Katara and their children: Bumi, Kya, Tenzin)  (Read 271687 times)
taydev
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2011 10:04 pm »

Roku could've prevented the war from breaking out. Aang was left to clean up his mistakes.

If my above theory is right (probably not Tongue) then Korra would have to deal with the problems that rose out of Aang's power, not mistakes.

But I also want their family to have a normal-ish relationship. If it's strained, that's cool, because that makes room for development and growth. If it's chummy, then that's cool too, because we get funny sibling interactions.

I still think having Aang's kids kill him? That's a bit too much.

Everything you said is pretty much in line with my thoughts about the siblings, and development is always good. Never thought about Aang's power contributing to the Equalists movement, but it is a very good theory considering we hardly saw any nonbenders with political, economical and social power.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm an Avatard. Big whoop. Want to fight about it?

« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2011 10:25 pm »

^Same here. I'm sure it was very normal in their childhood - filled with laughter, drama & a few sibling scuffles. Now the only strain may be b/c of the long-distance factor & their lifestyle. (Tenzin has his role in the United Republic & the other 1/2 have their duty back home in the SWT.)

Keeper of nothing but my own imagination & and this->
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I am the first Jinora fan.

« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2011 06:02 pm »

I think there's a decent chance one of them was Korra's waterbending teacher.

worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2011 06:08 pm »

^I'd still be happy if it wasn't one of their children who was Korra's training. (Gotta branch away from the GAang in other ways; let there be OTHER competent benders besides the descendants of the GAang.)

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2011 06:14 pm »

I don't care that much either way, it would just be a good way to show one of the other two kids without making them that important.  Korra's waterbending master will probably, at most, appear in a montage or a brief five minute part.

Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2011 06:17 pm »

^ If she even has a waterbending master.

Sig made by Dorky.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #31 on: Nov 11, 2011 06:49 pm »

^She had to have a master - THREE to be precise for each element she's mastered. (I don't want her anything close to a Mary-Sue.)

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #32 on: Nov 11, 2011 07:31 pm »

^I think he meant her master might not even appear at all.

worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2011 08:50 pm »

I'm sure we will see a short clip of her training with each of her masters. (We saw Roku's b/c Aang needed to learn how the events of the past led up to the War. It would be a shame if they don't divulge that information b/c it would make Korra seem less like a Mary Sue - even though her status dictates her as the most powerful bender on the planet.)

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2011 09:15 pm »

Huh? Isn't a Mary Sue, by definition, primarily an over-idealized wish-fulfillment character with terrible characterization? Even if they don't show Korra training prior to coming to Republic City, it's implied that she would have had teachers (at least to the old audience), so it's not like the series would be portraying her as perfection incarnated. Besides, we've already learned that she'll be very human and flawed, so she certainly wouldn't be over-idealized and lacking proper characterization.

"Mary Sue" is not shorthand for a female character you don't like/think is too powerful, you know. :\

----
More on topic: I half hope Aang and Katara's oldest child is a nonbending girl. It would be interesting to see how the world would react to a nonbender from arguably two of the most powerful benders in the world and an (OMG?!?!) firstborn female. Also, I can see Tenzin's big sis being crazy overprotective over him. =)

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Nov 11, 2011 09:40 pm »

Ooh, Zuko vs Azula conflict.

Minus the fire. And the mental abuse from Ozai. And the PHYSICAL abuse from Ozai. And the constant Agni Kai. And the sister being sent to assassinate her brother and uncle... uh. Yeah.

Do the thing.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #36 on: Nov 11, 2011 11:53 pm »

More on topic: I half hope Aang and Katara's oldest child is a nonbending girl. It would be interesting to see how the world would react to a nonbender from arguably two of the most powerful benders in the world and an (OMG?!?!) firstborn female. Also, I can see Tenzin's big sis being crazy overprotective over him. =)

Who knows, maybe one of them - deep down - resented Tenzin for being "Dad's real successor." (Of course by now, both his siblings are probably grandparents by now, so it would be childish to still feel the same over the years.)

Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am »

Ninezin: "Oh yeah, Tenzin. We're all pretty old now, right? Nice, forgiving old people?"
Tenzin: "Yeah?"
Ninezin: "Well, I'm sorry I was jealous of you when we were kids. And I'm sorry I burned your stuffed animals and tried to poison you that one time when you were a baby."
Tenzin: "Sure, sure, whatever - what?"
Ninezin: "Heehee!" *runs away*

Do the thing.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #38 on: Nov 12, 2011 12:06 am »

^I needed a chuckle & I need to elaborate more. I understand if there was some sibling bickering growing; it's natural.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2011 08:25 pm by worldends08 » Logged

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #39 on: Nov 12, 2011 03:50 pm »

"Ninezin"? XD I love that.

Keeper of Korra's armband, Asami's impeccable style, and the Air Kids' sibling shenanigans
proudinfidel
On Probation
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee Cleavage Rules!!

« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2011 11:23 pm »

Anyone else heard the rumor about Katara dying in childbirth with Tenzin (reason why they didn't have more kids) I've seen it on three other comic forums now.  Just curious.

I have a crack theory that one of Aang's kids had an arranged marriage with one of Zuko's. Just a hunch. Smiley

Double-post merged. ~SMBH
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2011 11:28 pm by SMBH » Logged
drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2011 11:25 pm »

^That sounds unlikely to me.  Tenzin looks rather old and has only three kids, the airbenders don't seem to be rushing to repopulate their people.

Stupendous
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

juice for grown-ups

« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2011 11:35 pm »

Could it be possible that Aang and Tenzin are in no rush to repopulate because there are Air Nomads floating around? Not any original Air Nomads, I mean random descendants, or refugees like Teo and co., who have decided to become the new Air Nomads? They wouldn't able to bend, but they could uphold Air Nomad history and cultures. And maybe, generations in the future, new airbenders will be born (kinda like how Katara was born after generations of no waterbenders).

...I just hate to think that the Air Nomads will never make a comeback. :\

worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #43 on: Nov 15, 2011 03:01 am »

^Sadly, they'll ONLY return through Tenzin's descendants, since all of his kids have turned out to be Airbenders. (It was a lucky break for Katara & Aang to even CONCEIVE one.) Off the side, maybe a few people may adopt the principles of the Airbenders; but they'll NEVER be one. (M&B were wishy-washy with how bending works, so I guess it's based on genetics now.)

Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Nov 15, 2011 03:35 pm »

The Air Nomads are a people and culture. Airbending is a skill. The skill and the culture tend to go together, but I don't imagine it's necessary to be an Airbender to be an Air Nomad, since they're very accepting people.

However, you could just set up Tenzin's kids with some Northern Air Temple folks and suddenly you have a new Airbending population that understands the culture of the Air Nomads. They can already fly, this is just taking it a step further.

Oh, and Air Nomads + the Mechanist = a dangerous thing indeed. Air gliders... with LASERS!

Aang's two kids might be involved in the new Air Nomad culture, too.

Do the thing.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #45 on: Nov 15, 2011 04:04 pm »

Aang's two kids might be involved in the new Air Nomad culture, too.

I'm sure they've already incorporated Airbending stances with their Waterbending to create new moves. On a personal level, I think they're very supportive of their little brother, who - as a child - felt burdened being the only REGULAR Airbender in existence.

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #46 on: Nov 15, 2011 04:53 pm »

And there's always the chance that one of their kids is an Airbender who has to go off and train with their Uncle Tenzin. 

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
worldends08
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Nov 15, 2011 06:50 pm »

^I don't know if that's possible unless M&B say it themselves. Then again, being born "a bender" is a matter of chance. (Look at Piandao; he had two bending parents & he turned out to be a Nonbender.)
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011 06:52 pm by worldends08 » Logged

drhorrible61
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #48 on: Nov 15, 2011 07:11 pm »

It hasn't actually been said that the other two aren't airbenders, people just assume it to be true.

Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Nov 15, 2011 07:18 pm »

Well, it would be awfully boring if they were Airbenders. No conflict whatsoever. Maximum conflict = maximum plot.

Do the thing.
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: