Aug 23, 2019 11:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kataang Family (Aang, Katara and their children: Bumi, Kya, Tenzin)  (Read 267113 times)
HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1650 on: Mar 31, 2014 03:13 am »

^They say he had rose coloured glasses because he refused to admit that Aang wasn't perfect. He got mad even at a mention of Aang's mistakes.

srebak
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1651 on: Mar 31, 2014 03:42 am »

1. To be fair, much like how it makes sense that Kya and Bumi were just saying that Aang wasn't perfect, Tenzin's comments were not unreasonable either. He said that Aang was under a lot of pressure: He was the Avatar, who among the people who carried that title wasn't under a lot of pressure? He said that Aang loved his children equally; for all the evidence we currently have, that may very well be true

2. The phrase just doesn't seem to fit: Tenzin was heavily established to be a man with a "no-nonsense" personality (one that rivaled Lin's) and seeing as he was also a Councilman and a Spiritual leader (two profession that require one to see the bigger picture), the idea of him having a "Rainbows and marshmallows" outlook on life seems a bit wrong for his character somehow.

3. All things considered, maybe this discussion should be put on hold until we actually get more concrete evidence regarding the KatAang family history. (Just a thought)   
Playwright
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1652 on: Mar 31, 2014 08:50 am »

We enjoyed a joyful 12 years old wise airbender prance around throughout the war, but we don't know how all his experiences, plus the fact that the memories of his people prior the Aerocaust faded away each passing day, affected his judgement and personality. He had a near endless chain of past lives telling him to fulfill his avatar duties first and that everything else, including his culture, comes after, to the point he had to bump into a stray lion turtle to learn that he could fulfill his believes and his avatar duties at the same time, but what about after he's done that? Being the last airbender must be a though one to swallow, so his priority list was pretty much full with being the avatar and the only surviving genuine air nomad in the world. That doesn't mean he was a terrible father, but it's expected he'd favour Tenzin, his one and only airbender kid, before Kya and Bumi. However, this doesn't mean he didn't love all three equally, he probably did, but dedicated himself to teach and train Tenzin, not because he loved him, but because he loved his culture.

guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1653 on: Mar 31, 2014 11:47 pm »

1. To be fair, much like how it makes sense that Kya and Bumi were just saying that Aang wasn't perfect, Tenzin's comments were not unreasonable either. He said that Aang was under a lot of pressure: He was the Avatar, who among the people who carried that title wasn't under a lot of pressure? He said that Aang loved his children equally; for all the evidence we currently have, that may very well be true

2. The phrase just doesn't seem to fit: Tenzin was heavily established to be a man with a "no-nonsense" personality (one that rivaled Lin's) and seeing as he was also a Councilman and a Spiritual leader (two profession that require one to see the bigger picture), the idea of him having a "Rainbows and marshmallows" outlook on life seems a bit wrong for his character somehow.

3. All things considered, maybe this discussion should be put on hold until we actually get more concrete evidence regarding the KatAang family history. (Just a thought)   

Yeah, I think I forgot about Tenzin's opinion in this one. I agree here.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
razorstar90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1654 on: Apr 01, 2014 12:56 am »

No one is saying that Tenzin was wrong in his estimation that Aang was an important figure that was busy with Avatar Duty or that Aang didn't love his kids. I don't think Tenzin is exaggerating that. I have no doubt in my mind that Aang loved his kids equally.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that Aang was an sub par Dad when it came to Bumi and Kya. Tenzin had rose colored googles with Aang bc Aang took time out of his busy schedule to work with him on airbending stuff. Which gave him a different experience with Daddy Aang. which is why he viewed his childhood in a more ideal way then his siblings. You see Tenzin had a rainbow and Marshmellow view of their Childhood with Daddy Aang. Which we learn from Bumi and Kya wasn't the case.
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1655 on: Apr 01, 2014 06:50 am »

No one is saying that Tenzin was wrong in his estimation that Aang was an important figure that was busy with Avatar Duty or that Aang didn't love his kids. I don't think Tenzin is exaggerating that. I have no doubt in my mind that Aang loved his kids equally.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that Aang was an sub par Dad when it came to Bumi and Kya. Tenzin had rose colored googles with Aang bc Aang took time out of his busy schedule to work with him on airbending stuff. Which gave him a different experience with Daddy Aang. which is why he viewed his childhood in a more ideal way then his siblings. You see Tenzin had a rainbow and Marshmellow view of their Childhood with Daddy Aang. Which we learn from Bumi and Kya wasn't the case.

I have come to a different conclusion with this discussion razorstar. I think Tenzin does not have rose colored goggles. In fact, he never even wears goggles or glasses in the show! I think the merit of this argument is very compelling, as we cannot interpret that Tenzin has "rose colored glasses" about his father's life if there was not even an iota of evidence that Tenzin was wearing anything of the sort.

Perhaps this argument would become much more satisfactory if it was monocles.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
razorstar90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1656 on: Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am »

^^^
If Tenzin didn't have rose colored googles then why would he say "I wish I was better father like Dad was to us". and Kya is like um Dad wasn't that great with us. That's about as rose colored as it gets. Remember Kya and Bumi basically said Tenzin was delusional because he thought they had this perfect childhood.and at the end of CW Part 2 he said of the episidoe

Tenzin said something like "I tried so hard to celebrate Dad's legacy that I overlooked the parts of him that were less then ideal". Basically saying he never thought about Aang's fault bc his hero worship. That's evidence right there in the show that Tenzin viewed Aang as a somewhat perfect light. He has this image of Aang that he was the great father who was always there for his kids when that wasn't the case according to Bumi and Kya and he comes to realize that at the end. He actually says it. 
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #1657 on: Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am »

No, you're not understanding my point.

My point is he didn't wear any physical glasses. How can you have rose tinted glasses if you have not even purchased the item necessary to tint roses with!?

HikaruIzumi
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1658 on: Apr 01, 2014 12:19 pm »

^Don't be silly everyone knows they were spirit glasses and thus invisible unless they choose to reveal themselves. Tenzin was careful enough to tell them not to show around people to keep up appearances. That's also why he works so much, so he has time to recreate My Little Pony episodes with toys.

razorstar90
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1659 on: Apr 01, 2014 12:45 pm »

Personally I think Rose Colored Googles would match Tenzin's outfit. BUT if we are being serious I think he'd have a pair similar to the ones Asami and Korra, more of a helmet type if you will.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2014 12:47 pm by razorstar90 » Logged
Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #1660 on: Apr 01, 2014 05:18 pm »

Well, it's not like he has to worry about helmet hair. Grin

Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #1661 on: Apr 23, 2014 10:49 am »

Personally I think Rose Colored Googles would match Tenzin's outfit. BUT if we are being serious I think he'd have a pair similar to the ones Asami and Korra, more of a helmet type if you will.

Do a quick manip of a Tenzin screenshot and let's see if you would convince us.,... xD

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Darmani
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Maigano
« Reply #1662 on: Jun 29, 2014 03:59 pm »

Am I the only one a little put out at Bumi's being granted bending and... well the reaction feels off compared to everything that happened with him in the past season.
Not too off, he is the sort who would roll with the punches but you'd think some emotional stuff would hit.  Or he'd feel something other than exultation and glee.  I doubt know just feels off hope he gets more to play with as things progress. 

That said I DO appreciate how Tenzin's being.  He's actually calm and knowledgeable for once long enough TO be knocked down as limited and flawed.  By comparison he's usually been too stiff and easily exasperated or unable to do anything.  As such the sequence of him pitching to people well outside his experience with dealing (neither children or adherents drawn in already).  Moreover his pitch feels like a mentor to a child and his desperation does reflect his own stated issues of being under pressure.  Before he wouldn't brook challenge because he couldn't let his identity be challenge now he's too quick to change things.. for his benefit and not see how to benefit others.  Its even hinted with Meelo asking to be a general like Bumi. (it seems they've pulled back on the gonkishness as well)  The airbenders of the future may be a diverse lot.
That said deciding that students must adhere to their traditions for training but don't have to be monks or nomads might help.
Also its a nice meta-attack against the evil kidnapping monks/jedi routine.  Tenzin from the outset may be demanding and insistent but not into coercion.

Darmani promises not to use "CANON" if Zutarians don't use "DESTINY"
I want a Book Air, Avatar Pen and Paper RPG, and *good* near free-form action video game. I also want a pony.
Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: