Dec 15, 2019 07:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen in The Legend of Korra  (Read 83273 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #125 on: Nov 23, 2013 08:37 pm »

'Cos it just has one meaning and it's a very plain and layman word. Like "Spirits", Prof Lee could have gone with just "神" which is quite sufficient to convey the meaning of "spirits" but adding the "灵" behind implies these spirits are rather humanized like us with feelings and not just empty, floaty, transparent shells.

"易" adds more oomph. Like the word 'pain' is a simple word but 'agony' is one level higher and more awesome.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #126 on: Jun 28, 2014 11:35 pm »

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

From Episode 303: The Earth Queen

I'm starting from the first column on the right that has a red arrow. Dashes indicate that the letter has missing contents that are covered by the photograph or off screen.

已经结婚有了两个儿子名-
Already married with two sons and their names- (Mako's name appears to be covered by the photo)

Second column from right:
-博林,他们带来不少欢乐也-
- Bolin, they bring much joy and- (letter off screen)

Third column from right:
-许多麻烦,相信您们是体会-
- a lot of trouble, I believe you have experienced- (letter off screen)

Forth column from right:
-希望有一天您们会和他们相-
- I hope one day you and the boys will look- (letter off screen)

First column from left:
-上我们的照片.
- like our photograph. (there's a missing word in front and I presume those two words would mean like)

Aw, that sounds like a sweet letter despite quite a chunk of it can't be read. =(

Bolin's name can literally mean rich forest. The Horse High and Rich Forest brothers, anyone? XD

The signboards in Ba Sing Se have lots of wear and tear and it's difficult to make out the words.

Green sign on left:
刘家面
Liu Family Noodles (I presume it's Liu but the words are sorta peeling off if you zoom in close enough)

Red sign on right:
龙??市
Dragon ?? Market (I really cannot make out the middle two words. They're illegible)

大石 or 尤石? (The first word is kinda smudgy)
Big Stones or Outstanding Stones?
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2014 08:45 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #127 on: Jun 29, 2014 12:03 pm »

Aw, Mako and Bolin's dad's letter :3

Dragon XX Market (I really cannot make out the middle two words. They're illegible)
Lol, for a moment I thought the "XX" was part of the shop name and the shop was like a strip club or something.

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #128 on: Jun 29, 2014 12:22 pm »

Bolin's name can literally mean rich forest.

So, his name could also be written as Bo Lin then? I presume the "rich forest" is made up of 2 Chinese ideographs?

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #129 on: Jun 30, 2014 08:44 pm »

Lol, for a moment I thought the "XX" was part of the shop name and the shop was like a strip club or something.
Lol whoops. I should have used ? instead.

So, his name could also be written as Bo Lin then? I presume the "rich forest" is made up of 2 Chinese ideographs?
Yes

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #130 on: Jul 12, 2014 08:56 am »

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

From Episode 305: The Metal Clan

Remember that vertical texts are read top to bottom, then right to left.  The official translation by Zaheer is "Let go of your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind."

Of course, translations will vary from person to person and this is how I interpret it.

Right column:
出尘世羁绊
Leave the fetters/restrictions of this mortal world behind

Left column:
入虚无如风
And enter the void, empty, being the wind

保安队
Security Force

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #131 on: Jul 19, 2014 09:37 am »

From Episode 306: Old Wounds

The acupuncturist's name card.

Top row on left:
郭大夫
Doctor Guo

Top row on right:
针灸师
Master Acupuncturist

Bottom row:
皂阜市大街二十三号
Zaofu City, 23rd Street

If you want a literal translation of Zaofu, it means "Black Mound".

Shown on the front and side of the police car in Lin's flashback:
共和城警队
Republic City Police Force

Shop signs shown during the confrontation between young Lin and young Su.

服装店
Clothing store

珠宝
Jewelry

药材店
Herbal medicine shop

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #132 on: Jul 19, 2014 01:23 pm »

Zaofu City, 23rd Street

That's pretty interesting. I'd thought that Zaofu's addressing system would include which 'lotus' first, then followed by the street name/number. (Like, "Zaofu Central Lotus, 23rd Street" or "Zaofu Northwest Lotus, Main Street" or whatever).

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #133 on: Jul 23, 2014 04:49 am »

I love how much detail they put in these Chinese writings, even if most of the viewers wouldn't be able to read it.
Omninaut
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Heil das Mutterreich über alles!

« Reply #134 on: Jul 24, 2014 06:53 am »

Zaofu City, 23rd Street

That's pretty interesting. I'd thought that Zaofu's addressing system would include which 'lotus' first, then followed by the street name/number. (Like, "Zaofu Central Lotus, 23rd Street" or "Zaofu Northwest Lotus, Main Street" or whatever).

Yeah the city rally seems like it'd work best on a radial coordinate system.

古維拉萬歲!

We can lay the groundwork for people to choose their own greatness.
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #135 on: Jul 24, 2014 04:48 pm »

Zaofu City, 23rd Street

Sounds logic, but maybe... they organized the Lotus like this: Every Lotus (but the last ones we see mostly in the chapter) having 10 streets, so, 1st to 10th street meaning Lotus 1, 11 to 20th street being in 2nd Lotus, and so 23rth street being in 3rd Lotus...

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #136 on: Jul 26, 2014 02:44 am »

From Episode 308: The Terror Within

On top:
队伍齐集
Team has assembled

At the bottom:
待命行事
Standing by to act

Or as Mako says: "Team has assembled, ready to rendevous"

On top:
皂阜
Zaofu

At the bottom:
保安队
Security Force
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2014 10:24 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #137 on: Aug 01, 2014 10:23 pm »

From Episode 309: The Stakeout

Bolin's poster
Red seal:
土国皇后之玺
The Earth Queen's Imperial seal

Orders

土国皇后谕旨
As decreed by the Earth Queen

辑拿下列人犯
The following criminal is wanted

通风报讯者重赏
Any information provided will be handsomely rewarded

共和城博林
Bolin from Republic City

The information in Korra's wanted poster is exactly the same as Bolin's but only the column on the far left is different and features her name.

神通冠拉

I can't see Mako's and Asami's posters that clearly but I assume they're similar too and personalized with their names at the side. I can't tell what Asami's name is in Chinese.

Edit: Thanks to the Book 3: Change artbook, we now have clear images of Asami's and Mako's wanted posters.

共和城马科
Mako from Republic City

Mako's name is totally different from the one listed in this episode which was 马高. Oh dear, inconsistency.

共和城佐籐麻尾
Sato Asami from Republic City

Note that in Asian culture, the surname is listed first followed by the given name.

Some research on my part reveals that 佐籐 and 麻尾 are Japanese kanji for Sato and Asami respectively. If you want to pronounce them Chinese, it would be pronounced as zuǒténg máměi. Totally doesn't sound like Asami Sato in Chinese, right?

I am pleasantly surprised that Prof Lee used kanji instead of trying to find the Chinese sounding words for her name.

Welcome sign:
雰榈绿洲
Misty Palms Oasis

Top row:
七日寺
Seven Day Temple

Bottom row, extreme left:
文荒漠
Wen Desert

I know the map has water on it but it does say desert

Bottom row, in the middle:
朝阳市集
Chao Yang Market

Bottom row, extreme right:
金凤山
Golden Phoenix Mountain

On top:
死亡沙漠
Death Desert aka the Si Wong Desert

On bottom:
杜安村
Du An Village

雰榈绿洲
Misty Palms Oasis

On top is Golden Phoenix Mountain as described earlier

Bottom of the map is cut off and we can only see the word 睡 which means "Sleep".

Inn signage:
雰榈客栈
Misty Palms Inn

Same book shown in this episode. "How To Be An Honest Person". =P

牌数规则手册
Pai Sho Rules Handbook

If you wanna literally translate Pai Sho, it means "Number Cards" but the Pai Sho tile doesn't have numbers that I can see. =P
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2015 03:25 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #138 on: Aug 01, 2014 10:35 pm »

I know the map has water on it but it does say desert

Wouldn't be the first time they mapped a desert to look like a body of water:

If I remember correctly, this one is mentioned in the commentary that the big blue thing in center-left is supposed to be part of the Si Wong Desert Tongue

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #139 on: Aug 01, 2014 10:44 pm »

If I remember correctly, this one is mentioned in the commentary that the big blue thing in center-left is supposed to be part of the Si Wong Desert Tongue
Lol! But they did map the temple and mountains pretty nicely on the map. XD

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #140 on: Sep 07, 2014 04:00 am »

The title for Book 4 has been released on korranation.

平衡 means 'balance' or 'equilibrium'. Wink

ray243
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #141 on: Sep 27, 2014 05:14 am »

Capped it. A bit blurry, but it's static and you can kind of see the outlines of the rightmost characters. I'm looking at some past Chinese flags to see if they match up.

The first word on the left is "Gu" or "ku", meaning "old" or "ancient". However, it could also simply be the first Chinese character for Kuvira(?)'s name, which is 古維拉 in Chinese.

The last word on the right is "Tong", meaning "together" or "united". Although looking at the word next to it, the two characters could actually mean "Zhong Tong" 總統.  This means "President" in English.

So the first sentence would mostly likely read :古維拉總統, or in other words, President Kuvira.

So it seems that Kuvira has seized total control of the Metal clan at the very least, and became its president.

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2014 05:16 am by ray243 » Logged
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #142 on: Sep 27, 2014 05:28 am »

Translation post split and moved to the translations thread.

I'm still waiting for a full, unobscured shot of the banner to properly translate it instead of guesswork.

ZippyLittleRat
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #143 on: Sep 27, 2014 05:56 pm »

So it seems that Kuvira has seized total control of the Metal clan at the very least, and became its president.

And here I was holding onto the position that Kuvira would not be villainous. Oh well, time to slink off to defeat! Ray, Icy, and all other translators on board, you guys are amazing!

I got it! My spit-wad's on your neck.
joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #144 on: Sep 28, 2014 01:31 pm »

*sigh* Why can't she just be a normal politician and put that on Satostickers and a tshirt or something…

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #145 on: Sep 30, 2014 08:16 pm »

From Episode 401: After All These Years

Yi State welcome sign

夷国京师
Capital of the State of Yi

Kuvira's map

Top row:
土国统一全与图
Map of the Unified States in the Earth Kingdom

Bottom row:
大总统古维拉辖下
Under the jurisdiction of the Great President Kuvira

Kuvira's contract

First column on extreme right:
谨依本条约, 解体夷国.
Regarding the contract, about the dissolution of the State of Yi.

Second column from the right:
根据前述条款, 由国际任命
In accordance to the previously mentioned terms, as internationally appointed...

Third column from right:
土国临时大总统金族古维拉
...The Earth Kingdom's interim President Kuvira of the Metal Clan...

Fourth column from right:
保护及管辖.
...will provide protection and jurisdiction.

Second column from left:
夷国总统
President of the State of Yi [I assume this is To: President/governor of Yi State]

First column on extreme left:
土国临时大总统古维拉
The Earth Kingdom's interim President Kuvira [I guess this means From: *insert fanciful title here* President Kuvira]

Kuvira's banner

Top row:
古维拉总统
President Kuvira

Okay, the top part of the banner has been confirmed. Lower part of the banner is still blocked by Kuvira's body.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2014 04:57 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Omninaut
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #146 on: Oct 03, 2014 01:24 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but 国际 is the "international" part right? Does it say International what? It seems like an adjective with no subject; is it to mean "The Nations?"

古維拉萬歲!

ray243
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #147 on: Oct 03, 2014 07:33 pm »

I think the word International body should actually read "Internationally recognised-Interim President Kuvira". This would mean Kuvira's basis of claiming power comes from all the other nations, accordingly to her anyway.

Given that the Republic seems to think that Kuvira is trying to stabilise the earth kingdom, I won't be surprised if that isn't true to an extend.
Omninaut
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #148 on: Oct 03, 2014 09:05 pm »

Internationally appointed fits better, but I agree with your parsing.

古維拉萬歲!

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #149 on: Oct 04, 2014 04:58 am »

I can't believe I thought there was a full stop between the second and third column. Whoops. Now it makes so much sense. I've edited my translations and changed Yi State to State of Yi 'cos it flows better lol.

Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: