Jun 20, 2019 07:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen in The Legend of Korra  (Read 78547 times)
Alexandra989
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #100 on: Jun 25, 2012 05:27 am »

I don't have any screen shots (I'm typing this on my phone), but do you know what the symbols on the equalists' planes said? Probably "equality" or "peace" or something like that, but I'm obviously not sure.

It's 'ping' and means safe, peace, well something like what you said. Chinese usually say "ping ping an an" which is to wish others safety and well-being.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #101 on: Jul 06, 2012 01:54 am »

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

From Episode 110: Turning the Tides

The title of the newspaper says 联合日报 which means United (Republic of Nations) Daily News.

The rest of the words in the article are too small to make out.

With that, the translations of the texts on the season 1 of Korra is complete!
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012 02:05 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #102 on: Jul 18, 2012 08:53 pm »

The text under this image looks different from the other Amon poster we've seen. It's from the San Diego Comic Con signing.

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #103 on: Jul 18, 2012 11:19 pm »

It's the one we saw here.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
AdminAvatar
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #104 on: Aug 21, 2012 04:47 pm »

I hate to make this comparison, but Amon was a bit like a Terrorist. Both Amon and Terrorists do what they do because they think that the actions they take are genuinely right.

He bares the symbol of equality because he truly feels that the Avatar World should be equal and free of benders.

But to the outside world, this seems both insane and ridiculous.

ByStorm
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Look with favor upon a bold beginning.

« Reply #105 on: Oct 28, 2012 06:41 pm »

I hate to make this comparison, but Amon was a bit like a Terrorist. Both Amon and Terrorists do what they do because they think that the actions they take are genuinely right.

He bares the symbol of equality because he truly feels that the Avatar World should be equal and free of benders.

But to the outside world, this seems both insane and ridiculous.

Its not his intents or notions that are what make his [and by extension , the Equalists'] ideals any less compelling. It is their execution.

Your comparison is very true because in the Middle East where some nations have been directly tampered with and messed with by stronger forces such as the US or the UK,  the weaker and vulnerable forces go to the more extremist elements from persecution to lack of representation or openness to contrary ideas [ aka freedoms of speech and other freedoms many people enjoy in the West].

Extremist elements, whether they may be the Sharia Islamists or the Equalists or whether they may be the Jingoistic Westerners and privileged benders that abuse their power [or are ignorant of the oppression in a convenient fashion like Mako ] all result from the lack of representation in a safe forum of discussion or an ignorant fear of the "other" as well as the fears of losing power.

In much of the Middle East, like in Republic City, there are the privileged that reap all of the benefits and there are those that are predisposed in a perverse caste system where they cannot rise above the glass ceiling and are oppressed by the majority. There was going to be this eventually in the Avatar world where the benders made sport and high off the lamb of those whom were exploited , felt they were exploited or were a combination of both. Its very easy to see the justifications of the elder Sato , while skewed , or the motivations of Tarrlok in this frame of mind. 

One wants equal opportunity for all the nonbenders, yet their execution via terrorism or the rather, curfews and unlawful arrests under the rule of Tarrlok [whom wants order and law] both go too far in theior amibtions that both are in the wrong and the right.

While law and order are preferable to anarchy, oppression under a flawed status quo that only serves the interests of those whom are exceptional and talented  for their abilities in magic and not the average Teo or Suki is what makes the Equalist movement promising if it weren't some terrorist plot to wipe all benders off the planet.

Positive change for the long term takes time, negative and spurious changes only take a few months or years to bring a people to ruin.

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." - The Owl Bible , 1 Strigidae Bubo 3:5. Taken from a typo in 1 Peter 3:5.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #106 on: Jul 19, 2013 07:50 pm »

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

From The Book Two: Spirits trailer at 1:48.

It says "Police" on both sides of the motorcycle.

Eudaemon
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why must all of my favorite characters die?!

« Reply #107 on: Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm »

What does the t-shirt from SDCC say? I cannot find a translation anywhere!

RIP Noatak. You were hot, but you were a psychopath.
I keep Bolin's green sash. Cheesy
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #108 on: Aug 05, 2013 06:48 pm »

The first two words "柯拉" is Korra's name in Mandarin. Next two words "传奇" means "Legend". So literal translation would be "Korra Legend" but I'm sure they're trying to say "Legend of Korra".

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #109 on: Sep 14, 2013 08:24 am »

From Episode 201: Rebel Spirit

The words at the top of each episode title card, 神靈, means gods/ spirits/deities.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013 07:51 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #110 on: Oct 05, 2013 08:12 am »

From Episode 205: Peacekeepers

和平 means Peace

自由 can either mean Free or Freedom/Liberty but in this context for the protest march, the latter seems more suitable.

南方自主 means Southern Independence/Autonomy

共和城 警察 means Republic City Police. It's the same police tape we saw back in episode 107.

火焰貂 means Fire Ferret. Nice poster isn't it?

做人之道 means The Book On How To Be An Honest Person or you can call it "How To Be An Honest Person" for short. Lol at one of corrupt cops who chucked it in the drawer... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013 10:25 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #111 on: Oct 05, 2013 01:08 pm »

做人之道 means The Book On How To Be An Honest Person or you can call it "How To Be An Honest Person" for short. Lol at one of corrupt cops who chucked it in the drawer... Roll Eyes

Ha! I wonder if Mako gave him that book Tongue

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Spiritwhisperer
Forum Moderator
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #112 on: Oct 05, 2013 08:26 pm »

Haha, that's a funny hidden gag. I knew there had to be a reason for that book to be in there, alongside that photo of possibly his kid.

Thanks for the translations!

"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #113 on: Oct 12, 2013 01:23 am »

From Episode 206: The Sting

The words at the top, 努笃, is Nuktuk's name in Chinese.

The words at the bottom, 南方英雄, literally means "South's hero" but to be grammatically correct, it's "Hero of the South" like what Bolin mentioned in the previous episode.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #114 on: Nov 09, 2013 01:30 am »

From Episode 210: A New Spiritual Age

Remember that this text is read vertically up to down first followed by right to left.

My translation for this text might be a little off, I apologize for that since I'm not that well versed in the "rules" of writing text vertically because there is this one spacing at the bottom of the second column from the right which might be a line break aka a full stop in English.

南北神灵鏖战
The Northern & Southern Spirits engaged in a fierce battle...

由精神世界
... from the Spirit World.

进入物质世界
To enter the physical/material world...

双方能量对流
... the energy discharged from both parties...

产生南北门户
... produced the Northern & Southern portals.

Put it altogether: "The Northern & Southern Spirits engaged in a fierce battle from the Spirit World. To enter the physical/material world, the energy discharged from both parties produced the Northern & Southern portals."

If there wasn't a line break, the text can be interpreted differently. "The Northern & Southern Spirits engaged in a fierce battle from the Spirit World to the physical/material world that the energy discharged from both parties produced the Northern & Southern portals."

Hmm... Which one is correct? Wink

时间之树 is literally translated as "Time Tree" but as Jinora calls it, "The Tree of Time"
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2013 02:30 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #115 on: Nov 09, 2013 03:14 pm »

Oh, wow, that's some really good info. Thanks for translating that!

Furudo Erika
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

King of Heroes, Gilgamesh

« Reply #116 on: Nov 09, 2013 03:15 pm »

That's amazing, Icy! I'm always fascinated how the characters read Chinese characters in English. I wonder how that would work... xD

According to my Japanese knowledge, this character is "Gate". Am I correct?

Character for  "Birth" and "Live"

in between.... I think Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2013 03:20 pm by Furudo Erika » Logged
Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #117 on: Nov 09, 2013 04:47 pm »

Just wondering, what do the two characters in Bryan's poster for this episode mean?

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #118 on: Nov 09, 2013 08:09 pm »

this character is "Gate"
'Door', actually.

Character for  "Birth" and "Live"
'Birth' and 'life' Wink

in between.... I think
This one word has a lot of meanings in different contexts.. 'Between', 'among', 'room', 'apartment', 'separate', divide', 'part'.

Just wondering, what do the two characters in Bryan's poster for this episode mean?
Which poster?

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #119 on: Nov 09, 2013 08:19 pm »

Which poster?

I think they mean this one:

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #120 on: Nov 09, 2013 09:02 pm »

"Spirits" which is the same as Book 2's title.

Helldars
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #121 on: Nov 10, 2013 11:04 am »

I think they mean this one:
Yup, and thank you Icy!

"I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-Rays, and I want to - I want to smell dark matter! I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I could know much more..."
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #122 on: Nov 19, 2013 07:41 am »

From Episode 211: Night of a Thousand Stars

Remember that vertical text is read up to down, right to left.

亲爱的马高
"Dear Mako..." Mako's Chinese name literally means 'horse high/tall'.

努笃笑着说
If this was an adjective, this phrase would have meant, 'Nuktuk said with a smile' but in this context it says "Nuktuk says to keep smiling."

"Dear Mako, Nuktuk says to 'keep smiling'."

The words on the blue banner says Nuktuk's name in Chinese.

The giant poster and both banners at the side are the exact same words from this post.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 06:55 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #123 on: Nov 23, 2013 07:10 am »

Book 3 title card!

易 has two meanings. One is 'easy', the other is 'change' like "changing hands". It also has the same meaning as '变' which also stands for "change".

Make of it what you will. Will Korra adjust to the change easily? Has the Avatar cycle literally 'changed hands' from one era of Avatars to a brand new chain of Avatars starting with Korra? It could have multiple meanings or Prof Siu-Leung Lee just wanted a word that is a little more profound. =P

joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #124 on: Nov 23, 2013 08:12 pm »

Could you perhaps explain how this (变) character meaning change is less profound than the character used in the title card?

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: