Oct 20, 2017 07:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen in The Legend of Korra  (Read 57251 times)
joinred1127
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Bryke be with us. Bryke give us strength.

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2012 11:04 am »

It would be an interesting touch if, the more we saw of the Equalist Movement, the more simplified characters their literature/propaganda uses.

PAGECLAIM for the art.

Yue "It's my duty Sokka. I have to do this."
Azula "Because I'm a people person."
Toph's burnt feet | Ocean Kumquats
Avatar Aang Memorial Island Clock
Nonbender "You're our Avatar too!"
FN Councilwomen's Keys
Eska "It's okay. I tried to kill cousin Korra when she ruined my wedding. It happens…
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2012 11:13 am »

Wow, I didn't even notice how many different shops signs there were in that one sequence. Thanks for all the translations, Icy!

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Noirsam
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2012 11:22 am »

I think it seems like it is more chinese text in Korra than it was in ATLA.

Do they have Siu Leung Lee on Korra too?

Sig made by Dorky.
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2012 11:44 am »

Do they have Siu Leung Lee on Korra too?

Yes they do.

Loopy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I'm Loooooooopy!

« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2012 03:38 pm »

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/Icy_Ashford/ASN%20TLoK%20Translations/1021.jpg
I can't make out the headlines of each article at all. They're kinda smudgy. If you're brave enough to translate them, be my guest.

The only thing I can make out is the title of the paper. 元讯: Yuan News

What do you think "Yuan" means in this context? A place? Or you can't tell from the context?

Thanks for continuing with these! Smiley

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #30 on: Mar 25, 2012 03:53 pm »

What do you think "Yuan" means in this context? A place? Or you can't tell from the context?
If I just look at the word "yuan" alone, it can mean the yuan currency or first or primary.

Primary/First News sounds a little weird to me so I just called it Yuan News.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #31 on: Mar 25, 2012 03:58 pm »

Primary/First News sounds a little weird to me

In Puerto Rico there's a newspaper called Primera Hora, which can be translated as 'first hour' ('primary hour' could work too but it wouldn't be an exact translation), as if to say that they're the first who have the news. So Primary/First News doesn't sound all that weird to me Tongue

Fleur du Feu
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Avi by EndlessFlame55 resized by puddlesandmistake

« Reply #32 on: Mar 25, 2012 06:14 pm »

Great job on all the translations!

Keeps "Ikkirupter",  Mako's moxie, Jinora and Ikki's on-board shipping & Korra's doorbusting definition of 'cautious'. Proud Maiko, Kataang, and Sukka shiper. Sig is by PonDeReplay
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #33 on: Mar 25, 2012 08:09 pm »

If I just look at the word "yuan" alone, it can mean the yuan currency or first or primary.

Primary/First News sounds a little weird to me so I just called it Yuan News.

Even the currency in Republic City is also called the "yuan."

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #34 on: Mar 25, 2012 08:12 pm »

I know, I hate the way it's pronounced. >_<

I guess the "Yuan News" could be the "We're the first to get this news so read all about it!" kind of paper.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #35 on: Mar 26, 2012 10:13 am »

Or it cost a yuan, back in the day, Price Titles were common (especially with Dime Novels and Penny Dreadfuls)

And why do you find the use of traditional text odd? You said yourself it wasn't introduced until the 50s and TLOK is set in a 20s style verse.

Join the Official Legend of Korra fanclub! They have prizes!

I'm also the keeper of the Fire Nation Palace's gratuitous flame decals.
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #36 on: Mar 26, 2012 10:35 am »

Or it cost a yuan, back in the day, Price Titles were common (especially with Dime Novels and Penny Dreadfuls)

And why do you find the use of traditional text odd? You said yourself it wasn't introduced until the 50s and TLOK is set in a 20s style verse.

It's just an interesting side note, and since Korra doesn't follow real world historical accuracy, the Korra world being in a 20s atmosphere has little relevance on when political and socioeconomic changes take place relative to our own time.

Also, I was mistaken. I thought that the words on Amon was zu 卒 from Chinese xiangqi, but I misread the characters because I glanced over it way too quickly.

It could be taken as a pun, though it'd be a pretty obscure one. It's interesting that the word 平, meaning peace and equality, bears a pretty similar appearance to soldier, 卒.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 11:06 am by guyw1tn0nam3 » Logged

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #37 on: Mar 26, 2012 11:01 am »

Yeah, I figured but I was just wondering why you found it "odd" if it didn't even need to follow irl development anyway; why would it be out of note, if it was following history to the letter it would be accurate and if it wasn't , it would have no need to be, by either rubric the appearance of traditional text makes perfect sense.

azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #38 on: Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am »

Thanks for continuing with these! Smiley
I am no expert in chinese and it might have no relevance here, but in Europe there were many newspapers called "penny gazzette" or something like that.

Because they costed exactly that, one penny, or whatever the money was.

Also you might look up on the whole history behind the first newspapers on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazette

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
guyw1tn0nam3
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Why are you so salty?

« Reply #39 on: Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am »

I think it's just a strange and awkward phrase that people who read more Chinese just aren't used to.

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of salt spilling all over the kitchen table.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #40 on: Mar 26, 2012 04:00 pm »

And why do you find the use of traditional text odd? You said yourself it wasn't introduced until the 50s and TLOK is set in a 20s style verse.I
I said the use of simplified text was only introduced in the 50s. Traditional text has been used since... forever. Well, it evolved for archaic and ancient Chinese text but traditional text has been in use for a loooong time. Simplified text was a somewhat "recent" addition about 60-ish odd years ago.

I thought that since the series is progressing in terms of technology, maybe some of the culture/education would follow somewhat similar to the real world?

Edit: I have noticed that some of my works have been copied and pasted onto Avatar Wikia without my permission. Let me make this clear, you do not do that at all. If you plan to contribute my work to Avatar Wikia, the least you can do is credit me. My translations belong to ASN and stealing information from ASN is bad in general.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 04:42 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

aa623
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Ty Lee <3

« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2012 08:51 pm »

Thanks for the translations! Interesting as usual.

Ugh the Avatar Wikia. It's filled with problems.

Keeper of the mural of Earth Kingdom Avatars from 103, the theory Ty Lee is descended from Air Nomads, Ty Lee's "At least I'm different now!" the theory that Pema is Ty Lee's daughter, Ikki's grey eyes, Mako's amber eyes, and Ikki's quote about the best way to win a boy's heart from 105.
TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2012 10:18 pm »

^Just sign on and talk to them, you don't have to say it here, it's not the best place for that. I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that settles this out.

^^Such as?

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2012 10:25 pm »

Don't worry about the Avatar Wikia stuff guys, I'm talking to someone there at the moment so you don't have to complain to them.

^^Such as?
You talking to me?

KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #44 on: Mar 26, 2012 10:28 pm »

It's just an interesting side note, and since Korra doesn't follow real world historical accuracy, the Korra world being in a 20s atmosphere has little relevance on when political and socioeconomic changes take place relative to our own time.

What do you mean by that? It was around that time period we were seeing the real strain of economic stratification cause all kinds of social upheaval after all, hence the equalist revolt. I'd say the creators are heavily following real world historical accuracy, just modifying it for the setting. The use of traditional chinese text is something I could easily see them add in simply because it would be a neat little thing to add to the atmosphere.  
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2012 10:30 pm by KrimzonStriker » Logged
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #45 on: Mar 27, 2012 01:12 am »

I know, I hate the way it's pronounced. >_<
Like I would always say, "American shows will always be American."

You guys do know that back in the early 1900's there were these coin theatres called nickelodeons, right? Wouldn't it be a coincidence that they'll include these in the show?

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #46 on: Mar 27, 2012 02:15 am »

^yeah, and they were called that because they only cost a nickel, I believe.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
TheMist
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #47 on: Mar 27, 2012 02:53 am »

^jokegetfail

Oh and I was talking to A2 not you, Ms.IC

RhoughRhinoAlternate
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

The lack of Rhinos, Rough or otherwise, is noted.

« Reply #48 on: Mar 27, 2012 05:05 pm »

Stores in Republic City sure have...functional names, don't they?  Easy to find what you are looking for, but hard to tell apart.

My fanfics:http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=14224.0
Keeper of Bomb guys' Outfit and bombs, the drill, and the double chain hammer
KrimzonStriker
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #49 on: Mar 27, 2012 07:20 pm »

Probably depends on word of mouth.... or maybe they have small business laws to preserve shops from a Walmart-esq takeover, thus protecting the local economy Tongue
Pages: « previous page next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: