Oct 17, 2017 06:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « previous page   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen in The Legend of Korra  (Read 57180 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #175 on: Jan 04, 2015 09:36 pm »

If you took a look at the credits of all the episodes in ATLA & TLOK, his name is credited. In the Writing/Calligraphy section of ATLA and TLOK on the mainsite, it also says "The show staff includes an expert on classical Chinese writing, Siu-Leung Lee, Ph.D."

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Rava
Banned Member
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Korrami ♪ TyZula ♬ Kataang ♫ Maiko ♫ Bopal ♪ Sukka

« Reply #176 on: Jan 05, 2015 01:05 am »

Ahhhh I see, it never registered with me that he was credited on each and every chapter of all 7 books! Amazing! Thanks so much for the heads up! <B

yours Rava

Keeper of Aang's Vision of Toph - Iroh's Spirit World sight - Toph's badgermole kiss - Lion turtle's chanting ---  Smiley
Quote from: Fishfood1
you're the king of yuri on ASN
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #177 on: Jan 06, 2015 12:50 am »

I just learned that my tumblr post translation about Kuvira's banner has made it on TV tropes.

I'm very surprised.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
mrcatboy
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #178 on: Jan 19, 2015 12:24 am »

I have to say, as much as I love the authenticity, a lot of the calligraphy I see in Korra is absolutely hideous.  Another thing I didn't really like was that the calligraphy reads left-to-right in a lot of cases.  The only reason modern Chinese does this now is because it's conformed to Western formats of printing, and even then this only started in the late 90s or so.  I still remember when the Chinese newspapers made the transition when I was a kid and thought it was really really out of place.

Really, since "the West" doesn't exist in Korra I really don't see why the infrastructure would suddenly make the transition from vertical to horizontal.  The exclamation point also sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #179 on: Feb 02, 2015 03:30 am »

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

@mrcatboy: I honestly am not too affected by the orientation of the Chinese words at all but I guess it's a personal preference. Perhaps since there were Western-like advancements in Korra like electricity and cars, the creators and Prof Lee thought to emulate that in the writing as well?

Anyway, I'm updating this thread as thanks to the Book 3: Change artbook, we now have clear images of Asami's and Mako's wanted posters from From Episode 309: The Stakeout. Images taken from this post.

共和城马科
Mako from Republic City

All the information in the wanted poster is exactly the same as listed before, it's just the names that are different.

Mako's name is totally different from the one listed in this episode which was 马高. Oh dear, inconsistency.

共和城佐籐麻尾
Sato Asami from Republic City

Note that in Asian culture, the surname is listed first followed by the given name.

Some research on my part reveals that 佐籐 and 麻尾 are Japanese kanji for Sato and Asami respectively. If you want to pronounce them Chinese, it would be pronounced as zuǒténg máměi. Totally doesn't sound like Asami Sato in Chinese, right?

I am pleasantly surprised that Prof Lee used kanji instead of trying to find Chinese sounding words for her name.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2015 03:32 am by Icy_Ashford » Logged

Pages: « previous page   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: