Aug 21, 2017 03:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ASN Mainsite: AvatarSpirit.net

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: next page »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translations of Chinese texts seen in The Legend of Korra  (Read 55127 times)
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« on: Jul 30, 2011 08:20 am »

My translations have a page on the main site. It's easier to navigate over there.

Just like the translation thread for the ATLA series, I now create a thread for TLOK.

Please change the encoding to Unicode to view the chinese characters or you will see squares instead. To view unicode : view > character encoding > more encodings > unicode > unicode (UTF-8)

Here's a little bit of information. Texts which are written vertically are read from right to left. Texts which are written horizontally are read from left to right.

You may also notice that the strokes of the words I type here and the words found in the show are different. That's because the show uses Traditional Chinese to write their text while I use Simplified Chinese to type since I was brought up learning that form of writing and my computer is programmed to write in that style too. The strokes might be different but the meaning of the words are still the same.

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

The character on the equalist's leader means "equal" as well as "peace". I like to think of it having a double meaning.

Huge version of pic here for your viewing pleasure.

Changed image link. ~ Icy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012 07:08 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2011 11:06 am »

Wow, that's a lot of translation, how long did it take you? Tongue [/sarcasm]

Do the thing.
BlackPanther1012
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2011 11:28 am »

Hmmm....equal.

Yes, even though everyone is equal, there is a lot of danger in the desire to make everything and everyone making equal. If that made sense...

What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
--Philipians 4:9
NeeNee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

We will not be quiet.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2011 12:01 pm »

Wow, that's a lot of translation, how long did it take you? Tongue [/sarcasm]

Then why don't you go and find some more pics for her to translate, busy guy? Tongue

I'm pretty sure we've seen more symbols, but I can't recall where... anyone?

SushiKing
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A wise man once said "Be The Leaaaf".

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2011 12:18 pm »

If that symbol means  "equal" And"peace" wouldn't that make him a good guy ^_^

Keeper of everything in A:TLA and TLOK. kthxbi.
Smellerbee
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Freedom Fighter

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2011 12:35 pm »

^what they think they're doing is good, most likely.

Triplets with RomoineRawr and Dorky
Firenation2
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2011 12:56 pm »

He probably thinks he's doing the right thing. Not many people actually go through with something thinking it's wrong.

Do the thing.
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2011 09:57 pm »

Found one.

Edit: Some more.

some are blurry and I wouldn't expect them all to be translatable.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2011 10:15 pm by Ms.DoubleW » Logged

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2011 01:55 am »

First word can't be seen, second word means "sound" and music". Third word... I can't make it out and I left my dictionary back in Singapore. Opps. Probably a music shop?

Too blurry, can't really tell what the words are although I suspect the first word is "sword".

Again, a little blurry but I believe that word is "wind". The rest of the characters are blocked out by ninja dude.

Can't really tell what the first word is. Second word is "people", third word is "street". No, do not take it as a literal translation of "people street". I find it hard to explain, there are plenty of streets in the world with the word "people" in it. You'll see plenty of such street names in Hong Kong & China and elsewhere. Bottom line, it's a banner of the street name. Think of it like a Chinatown banner of some sort.

It means an invitation to "come in" or "welcome" as we usually see in shops.

I keep Zuko's dagger & EK coat, Iroh's wisdom, Lu Ten's grave offerings | Mako's scarf, Naga, General Iroh's army outfit, Korra's new formal outfit
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

I keep Katara's acrobatic dancing skills \(^_^)/

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2011 10:37 am »

First word can't be seen, second word means "sound" and music". Third word... I can't make it out and I left my dictionary back in Singapore. Opps. Probably a music shop?

The second character might be 声, which is the simplified character for "sound" or "voice", the third one is 機, meaning machine. Not a music shop.

Too blurry, can't really tell what the words are although I suspect the first word is "sword".

The first one doesn't quite look like "sword" to me, but the second one looks like it could be 专 (simplified), which means "special" or "expert", but only when combined with another character after it (as in, "specialized store" or "specialized use").

Again, a little blurry but I believe that word is "wind". The rest of the characters are blocked out by ninja dude.

I concur here.

Can't really tell what the first word is. Second word is "people", third word is "street". No, do not take it as a literal translation of "people street". I find it hard to explain, there are plenty of streets in the world with the word "people" in it. You'll see plenty of such street names in Hong Kong & China and elsewhere. Bottom line, it's a banner of the street name. Think of it like a Chinatown banner of some sort.

First character might be 兴 (simplified), which in this case would form "Happy People Street" as a name.

It means an invitation to "come in" or "welcome" as we usually see in shops.

I haven't seen these as "welcome" in shops, as the word means "to come". You usually see a set phrase for "welcome to our store".
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2011 10:40 am by Qi Chin » Logged

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am »

The second character might be 声, which is the simplified character for "sound" or "voice", the third one is 機, meaning machine. Not a music shop.

The sign has "sound" and "machine"?

I may be taking this too literally, but it sounds like there could be radios in Republic City, and that store sells them...

ATLA Keeps: Kuei's necklace, Pandalilies, Zhaodburns, Sokka's DoBS speech
TLOK Keeps: Sparkly bush, Aang's statue, Korrlok, Asami's racetrack
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am »

The sign has "sound" and "machine"?

I may be taking this too literally, but it sounds like there could be radios in Republic City, and that store sells them...

Not unless they call radios by some other term than the common Chinese one. "Radio" is 收音機, literally "sound receiving device", but it uses a different word for the English "sound".

You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

"Anything that causes you to question the preconceptions you've come to love is a good thing." - Anna Helene Feulner

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance." - Ali Bin Abi Thalib[
SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2011 10:50 am »

Ahh, ok then. It was just the first thing that came to mind when connecting "sound" and "machine".

No, that's not true, it was the second thing that came to mind. The first one was Miami Sound Machine, but I doubt they'll have that in Republic City.

azekeprofit
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

A picture is worth a thousand words

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2011 01:27 pm »

It was just the first thing that came to mind when connecting "sound" and "machine".
Phonograph aka gramophone aka records player:

These are actually older than required time piece.

How Avatar is titled throughout the world:

PM if you see a mistake
Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2011 01:44 pm »

^ That is actually very possible. Phonograph is 留声機, and the bottom of that first character could fit. Though I don't know why they would pick the simplified version for the second character and the traditional one for the third.

SMBH
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Lord Zuko is not amused

« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2011 02:51 pm »

It was just the first thing that came to mind when connecting "sound" and "machine".
Phonograph aka gramophone aka records player:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/VictorVPhonograph.jpg/466px-VictorVPhonograph.jpg
These are actually older than required time piece.

That does make more sense! Cheesy

Though I don't know why they would pick the simplified version for the second character and the traditional one for the third.

Have they done this before in ATLA? Using simplified and traditional in the same word/sentence?

jedifreac
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2011 07:09 pm »

I'm surprised Chinese was removed from the The Legend of Korra logo...
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2011 08:13 pm »

^You'd think they'd at least keep the same Chinese text.

My keeps: Korra & Tenzin's relationship, Tenzin's air wheel, Tenzin's locket of Guru Laghima, Tenzin's lecture on Monk Tang Xu's historic fast
Exiled Prince
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Save me, Studio Mir...

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2011 09:10 pm »

Actually, if you look close enough to the bottom left hand corner, you can barely see the some of the funnels that are used for phonographs. So, it must be a record store/music shop/vinyl store.

iKeep Sokka\'s quote:\"This is the kind of wacky time wasting nonsense I\'ve been missing!\"
Sig Wanted
Ms.WW
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2011 09:17 pm »

Oh yeah! Good eye.  azekeprofit was right.  I love when colaboration yeilds good results. Cheesy

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2011 09:18 pm »

I haven't seen these as "welcome" in shops, as the word means "to come". You usually see a set phrase for "welcome to our store".
I translated it as "welcome" to make it easier for the Western audience to understand. I do know it's 欢迎光临.

Everyone has various interpretations when they translate things. The same sentence can be translated differently by 2 people. I attended this course that dealt with translation and the lecturer said he gave one sentence to the whole class to translate into whatever language they wanted. He noticed those who translated the sentence into the same language (Eg. Mandarin) did not have the exact same words/phrases but the meaning was still there.

Qi Chin
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2011 02:42 am »

Have they done this before in ATLA? Using simplified and traditional in the same word/sentence?

I can recall only a single instance, and that was the classical Chinese in the Cave of Two Lovers. Though it's more excusable there, seeing as how the characters are stylized.

I translated it as "welcome" to make it easier for the Western audience to understand. I do know it's 欢迎光临.

Everyone has various interpretations when they translate things. The same sentence can be translated differently by 2 people. I attended this course that dealt with translation and the lecturer said he gave one sentence to the whole class to translate into whatever language they wanted. He noticed those who translated the sentence into the same language (Eg. Mandarin) did not have the exact same words/phrases but the meaning was still there.

I suppose. Though the thing here is that it really should be original Chinese being translated into English by us, even though the text was originally English, and was translated into Chinese. But I'm having a difficult time imagining that someone who does translations wouldn't know the welcome-phrase.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2011 02:54 am »

We have no idea if the banner with the word "come in" has other words on it though since the top part of the banner is cut off.

Icy_Ashford
ASN Management
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Av & Sig by Maivry

« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2012 04:35 am »

Some of my translations have been featured on Avatar Wikia because I am awesome. However, if you're going to put these in Avatar Wikia, please credit me for the translations because it's time-consuming work and it's nice to be credited for one's work.

Translating the stuff that was released by Korra Nation.

From the Aang to Korra promo

平: Equal
I'm sure we'll be seeing this throughout the series so I may not translate this every time.

跟着阿蒙: Follow Amon

阿蒙就是答案: Amon is the answer/solution
I can't see the last two words, kinda blurry. Could be "Amon is the Future" or "Amon is the Answer"

A clearer image was shown in episode 4.

From Episode 101: Welcome to Republic City

Both vertical banners are 参加革命 which means Join the Revoluion.
The word with Amon's face is 平 meaning Equal

(Green banner on left) 饺子: Dumplings
(Grey banner in middle on left) 新鲜蔬果:  Fresh vegetables and fruits
(Red banner on left) 珠宝: Jewelery
(Green banner on right) 杂货店: Grocery store/shop
(Blue banner on right) 古董: Antiques

(Green banner on right) 书店: Book store/shop
(Red banner on right) 理发店: Barber shop/hairdresser

(Yellow banner behind gangster) 钟表店: Clocks & watches shop

(Green banner on extreme right) 裁缝: Tailor

(Yellow banner) 书店: Book store/shop

(Light blue banner on right) 药材店: Herbal medicine shop

留声机: Phonograph/gramophone

(Green banner on left) 粉面: Noodles
The green banner on the right is the same image as the one above.

(Yellow banner) 粉面: Noodles

(Purple banner on left)服装店: Clothing store/shop
(Red banner on right) 珠宝: Jewelry
(Blue banner on right)  杂货店: Grocery store/shop
(Yellow banner on right) 裁缝: Tailor

(Yellow banner on left) 药材店: Herbal medicine shop
(Red banner) 针灸: Acupuncture and moxibustion. They are healing techniques in traditional Chinese medicine. Kinda funny that they were talking about hospitals when a medicine shop and a clinic were on the very street they were on.

(Blue banner) 珠宝: Jewelery
(Green banner) 饺子: Dumplings

Man, the citizens of Republic City sure love their clothes and jewelery.

警察: Police

古董: Antiques

(Blue banner on left) 粉面: Noodles

(Red banner) 针灸: Acupuncture and moxibustion
(Brown banner) 裁缝: Tailor

From Episode 102: A Leaf In The Wind

I can't make out the headlines of each article at all. They're kinda smudgy. If you're brave enough to translate them, be my guest.

The only thing I can make out is the title of the paper. 元讯: Yuan News

It could be following real world newspapers that used price titles like Dime Novels or Penny Dreadfuls and hence the name, Yuan News. I suppose it costs 1 yuan?

Another interpretation would be that 元 means primary/first so it could be "first news" which might mean that this paper prides itself for being the first to get the news out.

Too smudgy to make out anything except for the word 人 on the extreme right which means person.

This picture was upside down in the show so I flipped it right side up. This is the title of the paper.
共和国新闻: Republic City News

The colour of the bulb reflects who the winner for that round is. 3 bulbs for 3 rounds and the last bulb dictates who the winner of all 3 rounds are.
(Bulb on extreme right) 第一回合: [Blue team wins] Round One. The words say Round One, I put the brackets to make it easier to understand.
(Bulb second from right) 第二回合: [Red team wins] Round Two
(Bulb second from left) 击倒: [Red team wins via] Knockout [for Round Three]
(Bulb on extreme left) 优胜者: [Red team is the] Winner/Champion

(Bulb on extreme right) 第一回合: [Blue team wins] Round One.
(Bulb second from right) 第二回合: [Blue team wins] Round Two
(Bulb second from left) 击倒: [Red team wins via] Knockout [for Round Three]
(Bulb on extreme left) 优胜者: [Red team is the] Winner/Champion

Yes, I am aware photobucket made my screenshots small. I will change the screenshots once I receive the official ones from SMBH. =) Received official ones from SMBH, all screenshots have been changed to the official ASN ones.

Edit: Realization! 70 years has passed in the Avatar World and they're still using Traditional Chinese. In the real World, Chinese speaking countries (particularly China) introduced Simplified Chinese in the 1950s in help increase literacy. I am indifferent towards Traditional Chinese because I have been schooled in the Simplified form ever since I can remember. Some say the traditional form is "beautiful". Others say simplified is easier to write. Whatever way it is, they're both pronounced the same way. It just means more work for me because I have to look up the word first before translating.

Kind of interesting that the people of the Avatar World are still sticking by Traditional Chinese.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012 06:46 pm by Icy_Ashford » Logged

munchydino12
Never Gonna Give Yue Up

Dreams of Earth and Fire

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2012 08:17 am »

^ perhaps they requested traditional Chinese to make it look fancier? You have to admit, the extra stokes do add more detail to the characters.

Pages: next page »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: